The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #151
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
Affleck and Nolan have that in common. No best director nods.
They both have never come close to deserving best director nods, they have that in common too.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #152
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Meh, it's slumcat. Ben Affleck could save a baby from a burning building tomorrow, and slumcat would say, "He probably just did it for the publicity, and a better actor would have been able to save two babies."

Argo was easily one of the best films of 2012, and was well deserving of its Best Picture Oscar win. And I do feel like Affleck deserved the Best Director nod too, as did the voting committees of most major awards ceremonies outside of the Oscars.
Meh its just keyser soze. He can't have seen many films can he?
Quote:
Argo was easily one of the best films of 2012, and was well deserving of its Best Picture Oscar win. And I do feel like Affleck deserved the Best Director nod too, as did the voting committees of most major awards ceremonies outside of the Oscars.
Depends upon who you ask. Below are the results of Film Comment's 2012 critics poll which has been going for more than a decade and is a great barometer for what are the best films of the year. They do not consider Argo worth even Top 20 of 2012 and I agree. I have seen most of the films below and each and every single one of them was better than Argo. (IMHO)

1. Holy Motors
2. The Master
3. Moonrise Kingdom
4. This Is Not a Film
5. Amour
6. The Turin Horse
7. The Kid With a Bike
8. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
9. Lincoln
10. Zero Dark Thirty

11. Tabu
12. The Deep Blue Sea
13. Bernie
14. Beasts of the Southern Wild
15. Cosmopolis
16. Barbara
17. The Loneliest Planet
18. Silver Linings Playbook
19. Oslo, August 31st
20. Neighboring Sounds

Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #153
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Affleck never played Superman, he played George Reeves. So, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
Well first actor to wear both the Batman and Superman suit on screen then?
Thanks for clearing that up for Bathead. Tbh, I wouldn't have thought it needed elaboration but it seems that captain pedantic required a little help.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #154
Astro13Zombie
Exterminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I don't get why people are concerned about his voice. Anything has to be better than Bale's Batman voice, surely?
Exactly.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #155
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post

Thanks for clearing that up for Bathead. Tbh, I wouldn't have thought it needed elaboration but it seems that captain pedantic required a little help.
Nothing pedantic about it. One statement is correct, the other is not, as simple as that.

*splat*
Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #156
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
They both have never come close to deserving best director nods, they have that in common too.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #157
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Nothing pedantic about it. One statement is correct, the other is not, as simple as that.
Its just a shame that you couldn't take a tongue in cheek comment for what it was

Old 12-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #158
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!

Quote:
Meh its just keyser soze. He can't have seen many films can he?

Depends upon who you ask. Below are the results of Film Comment's 2012 critics poll which has been going for more than a decade and is a great barometer for what are the best films of the year. They do not consider Argo worth even Top 20 of 2012 and I agree. I have seen most of the films below and each and every single one of them was better than Argo. (IMHO)

1. Holy Motors
2. The Master
3. Moonrise Kingdom
4. This Is Not a Film
5. Amour
6. The Turin Horse
7. The Kid With a Bike
8. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
9. Lincoln
10. Zero Dark Thirty

11. Tabu
12. The Deep Blue Sea
13. Bernie
14. Beasts of the Southern Wild
15. Cosmopolis
16. Barbara
17. The Loneliest Planet
18. Silver Linings Playbook
19. Oslo, August 31st
20. Neighboring Sounds
I've not seen all of those, but I've seen a few. The Master was one of my most anticipated films of 2012, given that There Will be Blood and Magnolia both stand among my favourite films and I'll see anything by Paul Thomas Anderson. But it ended up being. Bit of a disappointment to me, as while Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman both gave excellent performances, the plot was bloated and aloof. There Will Be The Blood struck just the right balance between being abstract/stylised/experimental while still remaining compelling from a plot/character perspective, while The Master tipped the scales too far towards the former. If There Will Be Blood was PTA's Mulholland Drive, The Master was his INLAND EMPIRE.

Moonrise Kingdom, Bernie, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Silver Linings Playbook were all quality films, though I'd put Argo ahead of all of them. Holy Motors set off my "We're trying so, so hard to be all weird and strange and Lynchian and just producing shallow style-over-substance gibberish that people will believe is really clever" Spider-sense, so I avoided it. And though I heard great things about it, I passed on Amour because from what I've seen of his earlier work, Michael Haneke is a director to be endured rather than enjoyed, where you come out of his relentlessly bleak films saying, "Oh yes, that was very worthy and excellently made now I never want to watch that again." The Deep Blue Sea didn't interest me. Lincoln I've not got round to yet, though I want to see it. Zero Dark Thirty is the film I've seen that I could make the strongest case for being as good as or better than Argo, though I'd have to see how it fares on repeat viewing: I've watched Argo several times now and it's still as good.

I've not heard of the rest, but based on the others on the list, I can absolutely understand these films all having a higher overall grading than Argo. Something like Holy Motors is the kind of film the naval-gazing art house crowd would crap their pants in delight over, heaping it with massively hyperbolic praise. Though it's probably balanced out by more mainstream review sources saying "What the hell is this baffling nonsense?" Argo might not have had such gushingly high scores from such circles, but probably was favourably received across a wider demographic.

Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #159
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
I've not seen all of those, but I've seen a few. The Master was one of my most anticipated films of 2012, given that There Will be Blood and Magnolia both stand among my favourite films and I'll see anything by Paul Thomas Anderson. But it ended up being. Bit of a disappointment to me, as while Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman both gave excellent performances, the plot was bloated and aloof. There Will Be The Blood struck just the right balance between being abstract/stylised/experimental while still remaining compelling from a plot/character perspective, while The Master tipped the scales too far towards the former. If There Will Be Blood was PTA's Mulholland Drive, The Master was his INLAND EMPIRE.

Moonrise Kingdom, Bernie, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Silver Linings Playbook were all quality films, though I'd put Argo ahead of all of them. Holy Motors set off my "We're trying so, so hard to be all weird and strange and Lynchian and just producing shallow style-over-substance gibberish that people will believe is really clever" Spider-sense, so I avoided it. And though I heard great things about it, I passed on Amour because from what I've seen of his earlier work, Michael Haneke is a director to be endured rather than enjoyed, where you come out of his relentlessly bleak films saying, "Oh yes, that was very worthy and excellently made now I never want to watch that again." The Deep Blue Sea didn't interest me. Lincoln I've not got round to yet, though I want to see it. Zero Dark Thirty is the film I've seen that I could make the strongest case for being as good as or better than Argo, though I'd have to see how it fares on repeat viewing: I've watched Argo several times now and it's still as good.

I've not heard of the rest, but based on the others on the list, I can absolutely understand these films all having a higher overall grading than Argo. Something like Holy Motors is the kind of film the naval-gazing art house crowd would crap their pants in delight over, heaping it with massively hyperbolic praise. Though it's probably balanced out by more mainstream review sources saying "What the hell is this baffling nonsense?" Argo might not have had such gushingly high scores from such circles, but probably was favourably received across a wider demographic.
I don't mean to sound hoity-toity but I found Argo disgustingly crude, like a mainstream cheap thrills actioner. A close shave every second and a climax more ludicrous and unbelievable than a fantasy film, cars chasing the plane on the runway really? None of it happened this way and the movie is basically hogwash. Its not even that it fabricated stuff, its this using the cliched Hollywood tropes, a sad son, the golden hearted maid, last minute switcheroo, all this rubbish that we have seen time and again. I thought it was extremely below average made by a very immature film-maker.

I highly recommend Amour. I think it is a monumental film - probably the best film of the last 5 years or so. It is made with an exacting perfection and rigorousness that is almost awe-inspiring. Dargis from NYT called it a masterpiece and called it "liberatingly unsentimental" and that really defines the film, the movie has balls, its stares into the abyss with calmness and dignity. It might though be bit of a bummer for a lot of people.

The others that I recommend are Tabu (outstanding), The Turin Horse (a movie containing just 30 long takes!), Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, The Kid With A Bike and This Is Not A Film (very moving and meaningful if you know about the director).

Most of the films nominated for Oscars are ********. Like Les Mis - couldn't bare that film at all, so horribly directed. If you look outside the purview of Hollywood you will find much worthier films and then an opinion like "Argo is rubbish" wouldn't seem surprising to you. You will also end up watching much better films.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #160
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not fans of Haneke I gather. But yeah, it is unlikely he would have fans (or an audience) on here.
I don't know who that is. I reacted the way I did because your response (from my perspective, anyway) came out of left field.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #161
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
I don't know who that is. I reacted the way I did because your response (from my perspective, anyway) came out of left field.
He is a very famous Austrian director and has won 2 Palme D'ors at Cannes (back to back) - some might say the biggest prize in cinema. He was nominated for 2 Oscars earlier this year - Best Director and Best Screenplay for Amour.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #162
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!

Quote:
I don't mean to sound hoity-toity but I found Argo disgustingly crude, like a mainstream cheap thrills actioner. A close shave every second and a climax more ludicrous and unbelievable than a fantasy film, cars chasing the plane on the runway really? None of it happened this way and the movie is basically hogwash. Its not even that it fabricated stuff, its this using the cliched Hollywood tropes, a sad son, the golden hearted maid, last minute switcheroo, all this rubbish that we have seen time and again. I thought it was extremely below average made by a very immature film-maker.

I highly recommend Amour. I think it is a monumental film - probably the best film of the last 5 years or so. It is made with an exacting perfection and rigorousness that is almost awe-inspiring. Dargis from NYT called it a masterpiece and called it "liberatingly unsentimental" and that really defines the film, the movie has balls, its stares into the abyss with calmness and dignity. It might though be bit of a bummer for a lot of people.

The others that I recommend are Tabu (outstanding), The Turin Horse (a movie containing just 30 long takes!), Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, The Kid With A Bike and This Is Not A Film (very moving and meaningful if you know about the director).

Most of the films nominated for Oscars are ********. Like Les Mis - couldn't bare that film at all, so horribly directed. If you look outside the purview of Hollywood you will find much worthier films and then an opinion like "Argo is rubbish" wouldn't seem surprising to you. You will also end up watching much better films.
I"ve looked outside Hollywood plenty. I did study film at university for several years, I'm well aware of the "let us transcend the artifice of narrative" cinema verite type approach to film. But I've seen enough of it to find myself returning to the excitement and thrills of the top tier of Hollywood's output more than anything else. Yes, you can see the structure and can recognise that it's reality is not the reality of the real world, but I get enough of the real world from the real world. If a film is true to the rules of its own world that it sets up for itself, I can suspend my disbelief. I tend to just like what I like, what engages me on an emotional level and makes me care about what's going on, be it a large film or a small one. I don't take much stock in what the most prestigious critics say I should like, though sometimes my opinions do end up aligning with theirs.

I do follow the work of directors outside of the blockbuster mainstream as well, but it's typically people like Ben Wheatley, Jeff Nichols. Alexander Payne or Park Chan-Wook, directors with distinctive voices who can match the immersive experience of a big studio picture on a fraction of the budget and with more unconventional subject matter, rather than directors who reject that model entirely in favour of more arthouse-styled fare.

Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #163
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

Quote:
why so much hate? are you matt damon or something?

inception - nolan deserved a nod. also kinda surprised it wasn't better received by hollywood. if you look at the film the extractors are basically people creating a film, which is very similar to what the artist and argo, both best picture winners, have done:
cobb- director/former writer
ariadne - writer
arthur- producer
seito - exec producer/studio head
eames - actor
fisher jr. - the audience

oh and affleck deserved a nod for argo.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #164
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
why so much hate? are you matt damon or something?

inception - nolan deserved a nod. also kinda surprised it wasn't better received by hollywood. if you look at the film the extractors are basically people creating a film, which is very similar to what the artist and argo, both best picture winners, have done:
cobb- director/former writer
ariadne - writer
arthur- producer
seito - exec producer/studio head
eames - actor
fisher jr. - the audience

oh and affleck deserved a nod for argo.
Not thinking a director is worth a best director nod is hating? Wow, that means everyone including the academy hates all the directors save the 5 they think are worth a best director nod.

And regarding Inception, I thought it was a dumb action film with a clever concept but a very banal and mundane script execution. Maybe even the concept is not that clever.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #165
Loki882
Side-Kick

Personally, I thought that the movies that Nolan should have gotten nods for were Momento and Insomnia. They're just fantastic. Also, TDK of course, but lets not rehash that argument again. Even the MPAA themselves have acknowledged that they dropped the ball on that one.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #166
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

I was literally furious when Nolan got snubbed for Inception. That movie was a masterpiece.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #167
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Not thinking a director is worth a best director nod is hating? Wow, that means everyone including the academy hates all the directors save the 5 they think are worth a best director nod.

And regarding Inception, I thought it was a dumb action film with a clever concept but a very banal and mundane script execution. Maybe even the concept is not that clever.
You don't know jack.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #168
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I was literally furious when Nolan got snubbed for Inception. That movie was a masterpiece.
It was an ok movie but I had issues with it...mostly script issues.

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #169
The Guard
Side-Kick

It's a good movie. Very entertaining, and well made. It's enormously overrated as a piece of writing and conceptually, and the caliber of Nolan's actual direction of the film is also greatly overrated. In no way did he deserve a Best Direction Oscar nod for INCEPTION.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #170
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Yet the movie deserved a best picture nod? This is where the Academy's logic is faulty. How can a movie be worthy of being in consideration for the best of the year without oscar-caliber direction? If the film hadn't been nominated at all, then fine. But I fail to see how (and this happens every year) a movie can be in contention for best picture of the year and yet the person who actually put the film together gets ignored.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #171
The Guard
Side-Kick

Oh, it didn't deserve that either.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 12-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #172
charl_huntress
The Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The Guard don't play! lol

Old 12-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #173
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
This is why we get winners like The King's Speech.

20 years from now....Who will remember that?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #174
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

deleted

*splat*
Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #175
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yet the movie deserved a best picture nod? This is where the Academy's logic is faulty. How can a movie be worthy of being in consideration for the best of the year without oscar-caliber direction? If the film hadn't been nominated at all, then fine. But I fail to see how (and this happens every year) a movie can be in contention for best picture of the year and yet the person who actually put the film together gets ignored.
A film is more than a director. Otherwise you could say "surely the best screenplay/actor/actress etc can only be a part of the best film".

Closed Thread