The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #551
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Default Re: Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman! - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
Let's be honest! This sounds like something Goyer would do.

lol
... What? Not even a little...

Old 01-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #552
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
I don't understand why (some) people are so willing to change WW's mythology, powerset, etc and, yet, if it happened to Superman and Batman they'd throw a fit.
Yeah, I think it behooves us -- as fans of the genre -- to have an iconic character like WW portrayed as accurately as possible even if we aren't her biggest supporters. Unfortunately, some fail to see it that way.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #553
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
... What? Not even a little...
I will undoubtedly re-quote you in time.

WW will look up and shout "Help Me"

Goyer will whisper "No"

Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #554
MrsKent26
Whatever.

It's probably not even true. There were all kinds of false rumors about MOS put out by folks who allegedly had "inside info" that never panned out.

I was actually hoping they didn't even address her origins in this film. But who knows.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #555
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
I will undoubtedly re-quote you in time.

WW will look up and shout "Help Me"

Goyer will whisper "No"
What from Goyer's work makes you think making Wonder Woman a Kryptonian would be up Goyer's alley?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #556
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
What from Goyer's work makes you think making Wonder Woman a Kryptonian would be up Goyer's alley?
Not from his work, but as a way to connect the DCU it makes sense. Again, I'm not in favor of it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #557
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I say all woman protest by rallying naked and cut off their right breast at WB studios! How's that for an overreaction.
I say they go full Lady Godiva and show up naked on horseback... that will show em'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #558
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
People have extreme opinions about this because it is so far removed from the source material and seems pretentious. I don't like the idea that the only way the only female superhero can have power is by being an offshoot of the main male counterpart.
so some completely objective reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
I don't understand why (some) people are so willing to change WW's mythology, powerset, etc and, yet, if it happened to Superman and Batman they'd throw a fit.
It's happened to batman..people got over it.
Most people just said it made sense.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #559
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

I blame Jett.

Back on topic:

Old 01-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #560
roach
I am the night

When did they change Batman's mythology and power set?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #561
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
When did they change Batman's mythology and power set?
I'd say when Ra's and his ninja academy entered the picture...
define power set.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #562
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I'd say when Ra's and his ninja academy entered the picture...
define power set.
perhaps

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #563
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
so some completely objective reason...

It's happened to batman..people got over it.
Most people just said it made sense.
How is your reasoning any better? So because you think it's a good idea means everyone who feels differently is being unreasonable?

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #564
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
How is your reasoning any better? So because you think it's a good idea means everyone who feels differently is being unreasonable?
My reasoning? All I've said it that's I keep an open mind till I see things executed. What's more I've seen very similar thigns happen and happen well, elsewhere.

You haven't really explained why this is a bad idea outside of some sort of gender equality...to each their own. However, issues with making batman a super powered kryptonian seems like a more 'reasonable' complaint.
To each their own. too much energy on empty rumors for my liking.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #565
roach
I am the night

Quote:
My reasoning? All I've said it that's I keep an open mind till I see things executed. What's more I've seen very similar thigns happen and happen well, elsewhere.

You haven't really explained why this is a bad idea outside of some sort of gender equality...to each their own. However, issues with making batman a super powered kryptonian seems like a more 'reasonable' complaint.
I prefer that WW keep her Greek Myth origins because it then introduces magic to this world...which could allow for the introduction of other magic characters...Shazam, Zatanna, Dr Fate...

Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #566
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:

I hate when people forget what they post. You said:
Quote:
But it doesn't imply that about the cosmos, only the breadth of meta's that are Amazons....
When the flash and hawkman and possible GL are proven to be krptonians, you'd make ground on this cosmos idea.
You did what appears to be defending the explanation for Amazons by saying that IMO. I said what I said because it directly relates to what you said. Why does her powers have to be be bound to his if no one else in the universes is? Why can't there be magic in this universe? It seems like a asinine of an excuse to simplify things.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #567
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I hate when people forget what they post. You said:

You did what appears to be defending the explanation for Amazons by saying that IMO. I said what I said because it directly relates to what you said. Why does her powers have to be be bound to his if no one else in the universes is? Why can't there be magic in this universe? It seems like a asinine of an excuse to simplify things.
What I said was that the universe can still have meta's with all sorts of origins and explanation and this move does nothing to negate that. Lantern can very possibly still be what he is in the books, flash can still be a freak sci fi bs accident, hawkman an alien...it just so happens that wondy's people are related to super girl.

In short I refuted that other post by saying this only applies to wonderwoman and her sisters. What I had issue with in your post is why this can't happen to wonderwoman...you (if I'm not mistaken) have issues with the fact that this is the only female hero.
I can understand how that might feel like a short changing for the female front but other than that subjective thing, I'm not sure how it's all that bad.

My actual feelings on it are as follows. Kara supposedly landed about 20k years ago. Greek myth, as far as hercules is concerned takes place about 12kBC...
If amazons were daughters of kara, that would explain why they were better than the other folks walking around back then but it doesn't actually refute the existence of gods and all that other myth stuff. Just adds some variables.
I feel her having superman like powers and knowing and the greek gods(real or not) is more important than her having superman like powers imbued by hera. But I've always liked allegorical mythology over straight myth.

I don't see any of this happening though.

Last edited by Marvin; 01-04-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #568
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I prefer that WW keep her Greek Myth origins because it then introduces magic to this world...which could allow for the introduction of other magic characters...Shazam, Zatanna, Dr Fate...
Fair enough.
Shazam I understand(though that ain't happening).

Zatanna and Fate don't need wondy to exist.

The real loss in all of this would be her lasso though.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #569
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Fair enough.
Shazam I understand(though that ain't happening).

Zatanna and Fate don't need wondy to exist.

The real loss in all of this would be her lasso though.
I just don't want this universe to limit itself when it comes to magic like the Marvel Universe has...which is probably why we haven't seen the more supernatural characters...like Dr Strange.

If we have the amazons be an off shoot of kryptonians then it takes something special away from WW.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #570
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just don't want this universe to limit itself when it comes to magic like the Marvel Universe has...which is probably why we haven't seen the more supernatural characters...like Dr Strange.

If we have the amazons be an off shoot of kryptonians then it takes something special away from WW.
Thank you that is exactly my point.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #571
roach
I am the night

if you look at the trinity...an alien, a man and a goddess...they all bring something different to the table.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #572
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:

Is that why we haven't Strange yet?

Take something like smallville, where wondy didn't even show up. That didn't stop other magical people showin up and doing their thing.

I'm with you that it takes away from wondy as we know her, but things are also added in terms of opportunity. I recall a similar discussion about Banner tinkering with super soldier serum derivatives. Obviously that's a little different but one can't argue that things aren't at all added, if only in terms of cohesion.

Quote:
if you look at the trinity...an alien, a man and a goddess...they all bring something different to the table.
They can still all bring something different to said table. Comes down to what really matters when you say that.

Curious, do ya'll think if this was true that wondy would have a kryptonite aversion?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #573
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Is that why we haven't Strange yet?

Take something like smallville, where wondy didn't even show up. That didn't stop other magical people showin up and doing their thing.

I'm with you that it takes away from wondy as we know her, but things are also added in terms of opportunity. I recall a similar discussion about Banner tinkering with super soldier serum derivatives. Obviously that's a little different but one can't argue that things aren't at all added, if only in terms of cohesion.
Strange keeps being rumored but we keep seeing science characters intro's...from GOTG to Antman...we've yet to see a character in the MCU that can't be explained my science.

Your Smallville analogy is correct...WW being magical is not needed for other magical characters...but if we change her origins to science then when the next magic character rolls around there will be the temptation to explain it as science also.

I agree with the Banner example but it's still a science explanation. The Hulk wasn't a magic character that was made into a science character...in fact his TV show origin was more about Banner using gamma radiation to unlock the potential in humans...that could easily translate to Banner replicating the SSS.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #574
roach
I am the night

Quote:

They can still all bring something different to said table. Comes down to what really matters when you say that.

Curious, do ya'll think if this was true that wondy would have a kryptonite aversion?
there would be a lot that would have to be explained...lack of heat vision and other secondary Superman powers.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #575
Marvin
Side-Kick

I doubt she'll have heat vision and super breath...

Quote:
Strange keeps being rumored but we keep seeing science characters intro's...from GOTG to Antman...we've yet to see a character in the MCU that can't be explained my science.

Your Smallville analogy is correct...WW being magical is not needed for other magical characters...but if we change her origins to science then when the next magic character rolls around there will be the temptation to explain it as science also.

I agree with the Banner example but it's still a science explanation. The Hulk wasn't a magic character that was made into a science character...in fact his TV show origin was more about Banner using gamma radiation to unlock the potential in humans...that could easily translate to Banner replicating the SSS.
I was under the impression that Strange(a Fiege favorite) hasn't shown up cause there's no money in him among other things..
Marvel is just now really looking at C listers(see antman now but not 2 years ago).

I doubt the temptation to change others by way of science will be there if wondy is super successful, but
A) I don't really see the the same light bulb there for messing with zantanna as there is for the daughters of kara backdoor they left open
B) You're really scared of their temptations? Like if they did Shazam they would "back door" him as well, so that the wizard didn't exist etc...?

Sure banner is different but surely you can see the argument that making him a ss makes the uinverse smaller and less special...however the benefits are also clear. It makes wonderful sense. Like Bane, and other things, sometimes things making special sense is pretty special.
All that being said, I don't see how this removes magic. Especially now that I think about that lasso.

Last edited by Marvin; 01-04-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Closed Thread