The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Influences of previous Superman/ Batman films on this sequel

Although this is its own separate film and MOS is different in tone and lookfrom the Christopher Reeve movies, which influences from the previous Superman (or Batman) films would you like on this sequel?

Which things, which they got right in the previous Superman and Batman films would you like to see incorporated here - whether it's the humour, cinematography, characterisation, storytelling etc?

I personally would like the Superman side of things to be a little more in the same tone as Christopher Reeve's movies. I don't mean Clark has to act like a bumbling idiot, but I want him to be more of the popular hero and boyscout, and to be a brighter character overall. There needs to be more of an inspirational feel about Superman.

I'd like some of the Batman scenes to be a bit more like the Keaton interpretation. Same with the costumes too, and any Batmobile that he uses. I want the whole movie a bit more superheroic than just practical or realistic. So no Tumblers this time round, but a proper Batmobile.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Default Re: Influences of previous Superman/ Batman films on this sequel

Interesting question.

I guess for Batman, I'd like to see a Bruce Wayne that has a similar vibe to Bale's in the Nolan films. I want Batman to be different this time, but I think the type of Bruce Wayne they presented (mostly in BB and TDK) wouldn't easily be suspected of being Batman, but didn't take things too far and become a parody.

For Superman, it's more difficult. My initial thought was to say I want something similar to what you want and would like them to use some Reeve-ish elements. I do want Superman to be more close to those he saves. But I want it to be done in a more sincere and moving way than it was done in the Reeve films. I don't want him to be high-fiving little Timmy when he agrees not to play in the streets or something like that. I want him to be there for people on the worst day of their lives. When people meet Superman, they are mostly likely in some dire sort of trouble. And Superman isn't God and won't always get there on time. I want to see him get there and see the relieved people he saves, but I also want to see him comfort shaken people. Maybe someone is crying and hysterical and Superman uses his calming presence to help them through it. Maybe he might even hug someone if they reached for him. I guess I want him to be a Superman of the people like Reeve's was, but in a more dramatic and modern context.

MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I want them to distance themselves rom the Burton and Keaton films: no killer Batman; Batman doing detective work; and a different suit---no more all black suits.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I want them to distance themselves rom the Burton and Keaton films: no killer Batman; Batman doing detective work; and a different suit---no more all black suits.
Well I didn't elaborate in detail, but when I said that I wanted the costumes more like the Keaton era, what was in my mind was to distinguish it from the Bale era where you could barely make out the Bat symbol and it looked very busy. At least the Keaton armour was aesthetically pleasing and looked like a superhero costume, and you could still see the logo.

I don't want it to be all black either though. I'd prefer a grey and black outfit, or even grey and blue, to distinguish it from anything before. But the Burton/ Keaton era did embrace the comic book roots more fully than the Nolan/ Bale era, and that's the influence I would like to see.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'm hoping they take something from Batman TAS where Batman is concerned, in TV/Movie media I think that's the only one to really nail the Batman.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

i want to see super pit stains and bat-disappearing eye makeup:

Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Although this is its own separate film and MOS is different in tone and lookfrom the Christopher Reeve movies, which influences from the previous Superman (or Batman) films would you like on this sequel?

Which things, which they got right in the previous Superman and Batman films would you like to see incorporated here - whether it's the humour, cinematography, characterisation, storytelling etc?

I personally would like the Superman side of things to be a little more in the same tone as Christopher Reeve's movies. I don't mean Clark has to act like a bumbling idiot, but I want him to be more of the popular hero and boyscout, and to be a brighter character overall. There needs to be more of an inspirational feel about Superman.

I'd like some of the Batman scenes to be a bit more like the Keaton interpretation. Same with the costumes too, and any Batmobile that he uses. I want the whole movie a bit more superheroic than just practical or realistic. So no Tumblers this time round, but a proper Batmobile.
I want the same things as you. Brighter Superman, more humor, a cool batmobile and something like Keaton's Batman without the killing.

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
smallville fan
Hero

I wouldn't want it to be immediately brighter, I'd say start off with MOS's tone then gradually progress and develop into a brighter tone. Remember guys, people in that world legitimately hate and have some animosity to Supes.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Loki882
Side-Kick

And the fact that members of Superman's own race destroyed part of Metropolis, killed god knows how many people, and tried to turn Earth into New Krypton by exterminating humanity, isn't got the help matters. As for Batman, he should not resemble Burton's Batman in anyway. That guy was just The Punisher in a Bat costume. I'd like to see the brilliant detective/master strategist Batman. We really haven't gotten to see that yet in a live action movie. His brilliant mind, and his cool toys, are the ONLY things that give him ANY kind of shot at taking on Superman, even indirectly.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Frodo
Side-Kick

I was hoping for a Batman closer to the Dark Knight Returns novel. A guy who's set in his ways, at peace with being Batman, and a Bada** who wouldn't hesitate to fight dirty if need be.

Given the direction that Goyer and others involved have said about Affleck's version, it sounds to me like we're basically getting a slightly different version of Bale's Bruce Wayne from TDKR.

As for Cavill I would hope they let a bit more of his natural charm he showed on the Tudors shine through a bit more.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
The Guard
Side-Kick

I would just prefer to see something new. I don't need to see the Batman or Superman from any previous film. Give me something relatively fresh and interesting.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I would just prefer to see something new. I don't need to see the Batman or Superman from any previous film. Give me something relatively fresh and interesting.
I'm not saying to have a direct copy of what has gone before. Rather, I want them to take whatever has worked and what they have gotten right rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater and trying to reinvent the wheel from scratch but then falling short of the mark.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
godisawesome
Side-Kick

The more human aspects of both Superman and Batman need to be kept. I don't want Miller style Bruce or Reeves style Clark. Preferably, I'd want Cavill's Clark Kent and Superman maybe seasoned with some more confidence, and a Batman who's got Bale's calm, quiet nature with Keaton's anger underneath it all.

I kind of want Clark to clearly be more affable and clearly enjoying his chance to make more friends and be sociable while Bruce comes off as much more quiet and lonely.

And I'd love to see some of Batman's fallibility from TDKR. I'm hoping if there are any huge anti-Superman plans he's involved in that he's already realized his mistake and part of the reveal when Clark figures out who he is has to do with the connection and possibility that Batman could have taken out Batman from the shadows but intentionally threw away his advantage because Luthor's so much worse.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote