The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #26
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I don't think Marvel needs to give up any control.

Here's the way I would play it if I were Marvel: "Hey Fox, do you want to hitch your franchise to the train that has put two films in the top five all time grossing films in each of the last two years? Interested? Here's how it will work:

We will give you, free of charge, access to the consulting and planning we've used to create a new paradigm in film production.

We will help you plan out a rolling ten-year long-range plan for your FF franchise. We'll give you a few key elements that need to be included in the films you'll be making and we'll give you access to our characters to be used in your films according to the plan. And you'll allow us to use your characters in our films according to the plan.

We will create the plan, but you will have sign-off, so if we say 'You'll produce a film in 2017 that will include character A and broad story element B. We'll produce a film in 2018 that will include character C and broad story element D. You'll produce a film in 2019 that will include character E and broad story element F etc. etc. through 10 years of planned production...'

And you don't like certain proposed characters or elements, we'll rework it until we can come up with a plan you are willing to sign-off on."

Fox wouldn't be writing the plan, but they would have the option to veto elements. They would also have freedom to create their own stories as long as they include the key elements (think about how independent a film like Iron Man 3 is I terms of the broad plan - we're talking about very minor details that tie all the films together).

If both parties can be mature, rational adults, I think the details would be very easy to work out.
This actually sounds quite awesome. I think I'd be cool with this. I'd still worry though that Fox would deliver yet another FF stinker. But if DOFP hits it out of the park, I might have a little more confidence they could actually do the FF justice this time.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #27
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
But how much is Fox willing to spend to keep playing that game? All this gesturing it's free (or cheap).

They're undoubtedly having to pay Trank for his time and his work that he's putting into this (he's been on the project for years...he has to be making money to be willing to stay on). All the script writers had to be paid. Scouting locations isn't entirely free. And who knows what other kind of pre-production work has been done on this that's cost Fox money. Despite what little they've announced...a lot of work and money may have been put into this behind the scenes.

It's getting close to the wire here, and Fox is going to have to make a decision to go all-in or fold very soon. They'll have to look at the money already spent and ask themselves "Have we spent too much to turn back now?" And if the answer is "no", then they'll have to decide if it's worth taking a financial gamble on this movie.
Saying they're scouting locations and actually actively scouting locations are two different things

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 01-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #28
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part

Yeah, I think if DOFP is a fantastic movie, a lot of people won't worry as much about FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightGambit View Post
And using Apocalypse before Thanos was in spite against Marvel
Do you think the GA will draw comparisons between the two villains by the time Thanos appears? I think Thanos will appear in GOTG to some extent, so at least he'll have the honor of appearing first, excluding his brief appearance at the end of Avengers which I don't think a lot of the GA really acknowledged.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #29
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I can't stand FOX as a studio... But i truly think that notion is bogus apocalypse has been a fan want for quite some time

[=]
Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #30
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

As a kid, I couldn't wait to see Apocalypse in an X-Men movie. That was waaaaay before I even started thinking about Thanos. I didn't even know who he was back then.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
babykhris
Side-Kick

I say FOX sells Marvel the FF merchandise rights like SONY did with Spider-Man for more time. That's the only way I could see this film actually happening. FF needs a big media blitz, it needs merchandise to help sell the film.

Since Marvel Studios no non Marvel Studios film has got a big toy push since Marvel control it's toys. I see this happening with the new X-Men film also. But would Disney take the deal?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #32
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

You're going to see this movie happen, regardless.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #33
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

just probably not by FOX

Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #34
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Orly?

So what's that movie happening in 2015, then?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #35
babykhris
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Orly?

Do you want FOX to make this film? If so rushing a film would worsen the Fantastic Four to the general audience. Do you honestly believe they can pull off a good film?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #36
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykhris View Post
Do you want FOX to make this film? If so rushing a film would worsen the Fantastic Four to the general audience. Do you honestly believe they can pull off a good film?
I look forward to this movie because Trank is behind it. If this was a few years ago, believe me, I'd be against it too. But I think Fox has proven that they can make good movies again in the past few years. I'm willing to give them another chance, especially if DOFP is a great movie.

I'd love for this to go over to Marvel Studios, but realistically, that's not going to happen for quite some time. So I'll make the best out of this situation. And if Marvel did have their X-Men, FF and Spider-Man properties, I don't think we'd have movies like Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Avengers, etc. so soon because they'd be focusing on those top-tier characters I mentioned as a priority.

Now the Avengers are top-tier characters, so I'm grateful for that.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #37
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Orly?

it's code-named Denial & Delusions, it's a romantic comedy.

[=]
Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #38
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
it's code-named Denial & Delusions, it's a romantic comedy.

If it's anything like Sense & Sensibility, they've got my money.

*cue the guy with the witty retort, saying, "No, Sense & Sensibility would be Fox giving the rights back to Marvel."

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #39
Crimz
Side-Kick

FOX hasn't regained a trust from me yet, X-Men: First Class was good, but The Wolverine disappointed me. It started off strongly, but then became generic and boring it could have been much better. I may not be so upset if they keep the F4 and X-Men from merging, I want them in separate universes they don't gel.

The F4 is the only property that I want to go back to Marvel, the others are fine where they are.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #40
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
If it's anything like Sense & Sensibility, they've got my money.

*cue the guy with the witty retort, saying, "No, Sense & Sensibility would be Fox giving the rights back to Marvel."

I appreciate you saying it for me

[=]
Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #41
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Oh, you.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #42
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
FOX hasn't regained a trust from me yet, X-Men: First Class was good, but The Wolverine disappointed me. It started off strongly, but then became generic and boring it could have been much better. I may not be so upset if they keep the F4 and X-Men from merging, I want them in separate universes they don't gel.

The F4 is the only property that I want to go back to Marvel, the others are fine where they are.
I would give First Class a B-. It was okay, but it wasn't the masterpiece that convinces me Fox's history of crap has been erased. Wolverine is the first Marvel film I haven't bothered to see because I've lost interest in the character and there was nothing in the reviews or preview to make me feel it was worth my time.

As for FF and X-Men, I could deal with them being in the same universe if I was done right. But I'm becoming concerned from recent rumors that they might not only put them in the same Universe but try to give them an origin that will link them to the X-Men. That has the potential to be frighteningly terrible.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #43
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
I say FOX sells Marvel the FF merchandise rights like SONY did with Spider-Man for more time. That's the only way I could see this film actually happening. FF needs a big media blitz, it needs merchandise to help sell the film.

Since Marvel Studios no non Marvel Studios film has got a big toy push since Marvel control it's toys. I see this happening with the new X-Men film also. But would Disney take the deal?
Disney/Marvel cut a deal with Sony in part because Spidey, the world's most valuable licensed super-hero, was too big to ignore. The FF and X-Men are nowhere near as valuable. Unless FOX is willing to make substantial concessions, Disney/Marvel is better off putting their marketing efforts into Guardians and their forthcoming Phase III films like Dr. Strange and/or Inhumans than to support two character families whose film rights are controlled by a competitor.

Last edited by Zarex; 01-01-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #44
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
*blink* How?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #45
the gael
Side-Kick

Well, to be honest, Fox has only succeeded in proving me that, under Bryan Singer guidance, they could make a good X Men movie. What an hard job ! Without being a masterpiece, First class was surprisingly good and The Wolverine was a good movie for the most part (because you still have the traditional Fox crap in the character of Viper) and I'm pretty sure that DOFP will be great. (Thank you Singer, not Fox)

As for the non X Men movies, nothing is proven at all, and the crapfest that call itself "FF synopsis" is terrifying me by its stupidity and mediocrity

Old 01-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #46
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
You're going to see this movie happen, regardless.
Personally, whether I see this in the theatres or wait a few months for it to turn up for nothing on Satellite depends on what they do. If they do all that we have heard (or suspect), I'm not wasting money on a cinema ticket, that's for damn sure.

But I will see it eventually (I've seen pretty much all CBM's eventually, no matter how bad some have been).

Last edited by wobbly; 01-02-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #47
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:

Million dollar question aint it? Not sure if Disney would be too wiling to negotiate much with Fox at all at the moment, nor do they need to in truth.

The ball is in Fox's court with this one. They will either make the film or they won't, but I can't see the mouse negotiating anything with them here. Case of 'put up or shut up' I think.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #48
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Personally, whether I see this in the theatres or wait a few months for it to turn up for nothing on Satellite depends on what they do. If they do all that we have heard (or suspect), I'm not wasting money on a cinema ticket, that's for damn sure.

But I will see it eventually (I've seen pretty much all CBM's eventually, no matter how bad some have been).

I had to skip out on Jonah Hex.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #49
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post

Since the first Superman movie in (1977?) I've seen every DC and Marvel film in the theater - typically on the opening weekend, but sometimes the second weekend.

Wolverine was the first that I didn't bother to see at all. That wasn't anything planned or an 'F you' to Fox or anything. It just didn't interest me enough to make me feel like I wanted to get out there and see it. I'll wait until it's on Netfix (even with that, I haven't been interested enough to log in and see if it's there. Maybe after I'm done typing this.)

After Iron Man 3, I could very well skip the next Iron Man if it looks like more of the same. I think both of those characters need a jolt to make them more interestng - new actors, better directors or something. They just seem to be going through the motions at this point.

No matter how bad the FF is looking - even if the synopsis we saw is real - I'll be there opening weekend. For the past 42 years, I've seen the FF in my mind and I'm hoping someone, someday will be able to make a film that can capture at least some small elements of how good it can be.

So I'll keep hoping and I'll be there, but I expect I'll be disappointed.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #50
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I don't think Marvel needs to give up any control.

Here's the way I would play it if I were Marvel: "Hey Fox, do you want to hitch your franchise to the train that has put two films in the top five all time grossing films in each of the last two years? Interested? Here's how it will work:

We will give you, free of charge, access to the consulting and planning we've used to create a new paradigm in film production.

We will help you plan out a rolling ten-year long-range plan for your FF franchise. We'll give you a few key elements that need to be included in the films you'll be making and we'll give you access to our characters to be used in your films according to the plan. And you'll allow us to use your characters in our films according to the plan.

We will create the plan, but you will have sign-off, so if we say 'You'll produce a film in 2017 that will include character A and broad story element B. We'll produce a film in 2018 that will include character C and broad story element D. You'll produce a film in 2019 that will include character E and broad story element F etc. etc. through 10 years of planned production...'

And you don't like certain proposed characters or elements, we'll rework it until we can come up with a plan you are willing to sign-off on."

Fox wouldn't be writing the plan, but they would have the option to veto elements. They would also have freedom to create their own stories as long as they include the key elements (think about how independent a film like Iron Man 3 is I terms of the broad plan - we're talking about very minor details that tie all the films together).

If both parties can be mature, rational adults, I think the details would be very easy to work out.
You don't think their consultants and financial analysts are exhausting all those options right now? You honestly think only fanboys posting on SuperHeroHype are the most rational business people when it comes to comicbook film adaptations? BELIEVE ME, they've had these discussions off the record. It would be bad business not to. Companies talk to each other all the time. When there is profit to be had by working with your competitors, there is a deal to be made. Can a deal be made based on what we've heard? I'd argue Fox probably wants to work with Marvel if anything. Why haven't they been aggressive with this production? No substantive castings or filming schedules. Just loose starting dates and reports of a script overhaul (which is never a good thing). Fox isn't serious about this project. They are fast tracking X-Men Apocalypse. That's all you need to know about their confidence in this. It's probably Marvel that does not want to budge based on what we've heard.

Closed Thread