The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #326
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Callin' it like I see it, brah.
Are we going off the people for real? Or their characters? How they looked back then or now?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 01-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #327
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - P

Doesn't matter, they both looked FINE back in the day.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #328
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
And as for his performance... he didn't come off like a person who was actually crazy, the way that Heath or Jack did in their interpretations of the Joker. He came off like someone trying to ACT like he was crazy.
Whatever that means...

His first scene alone pretty much cements him as believably nuts.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 01-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #329
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Doesn't matter, they both looked FINE back in the day.

True.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #330
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Yeah, I'll give you a moment to figure it out.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #331
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Now, regarding this statement: if you feel it is contrived for Superman to make an appeal for peace, clearly we have a fundamental disagreement about who this character is, and I don't expect that to be resolved.

Furthermore, if you feel it is not worth the time it would take to include for a few lines of dialogue that improve Superman's characterization and create superior context (and thus superior weight) to what should be one of the most important choices he makes in the film, then we also have a fundamental disagreement about what was important in this film, and again, I don't expect that to be resolved.

Certainly, I think the filmmakers can spare a couple lines of dialogue--and if for some inconceivable reason it meant cutting out ten seconds somewhere else, then I will happily sacrifice a shot or two of Superman smashing through Smallville or downtown Metropolis.

Anyways, I can't argue with you for having different requirements for a Superman movie than I do, if you follow me. So I'll probably leave it there.
The only reason I say it's contrived is because of Zod's characterization. Why would he have any motivation to listen to Superman? If he is that committed to turning Earth to Krypton, then he's not going to listen to those against his motivations (he erased Jor-El's AI, and gained the motivation to kill Kal-El after realizing Kal-El was against his wishes). Ergo, the appeal for peace accomplishes nothing (and as a precedent, we didn't see Superman appeal to Zod for peace when he threatened to rule the world in SII). When the threat level is high, no one is going to appeal for peace, you have to think about neutralizing the threat before (more) people get killed. And to be fair, it's the same question that is pondered by the film. Zod and Superman represent diametrically opposing ideologies and both end up not reaching the ideal situation, and that is tragic.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #332
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Anyone else have a smile on their face at the thought of Cavill's Superman interacting with other heroes? I feel like a kid again. This is a great opportunity for him to own those moments.

I just imagine a scene with him telling the other heroes:

We can save them... We can save all of them.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #333
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
Anyone else have a smile on their face at the thought of Cavill's Superman interacting with other heroes? I feel like a kid again. This is a great opportunity for him to own those moments.

DC's Captain 'Murica.

Dats dat.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #334
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Whatever that means...

His first scene alone pretty much cements him as believably nuts.
If you're fooled by terrible acting, then yes, I guess it does.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 01-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #335
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I knew you wouldn't understand, Barrett...

Dats dat.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #336
bluerayer
The Conqueror

Quote:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=270244
Old 01-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #337
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:

Yes!!

Quote:
DC's Captain 'Murica.
'Murica!!

Quote:
I knew you wouldn't understand, Barrett...
Oh I understood.........I just pretended I didn't..........

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #338
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
DC's Captain 'Murica.
I heard rumors about Captain America having the letter M on his helmet in the next movie.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #339
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Superman interacting with others of his kind, ones who share their gift to the world for the common good, sure is salivating to think of.

A quick..random thought I had today:

Batman is the one you'd want on 4th and goal where your defense needs a game-saving stop on all out blitz call.

Superman is the one you'd want as your QB in the huddle looking into his teammates eyes to calm them down trailing by 6 from their own 20 yard line with a minute to go needing to go a steady 80 yards downfield for the game-winning touchdown.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #340
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
Superman interacting with others of his kind, ones who share their gift to the world for the common good, sure is salivating to think of.

A quick..random thought I had today:

Batman is the one you'd want on 4th and goal where your defense needs a game-saving stop on all out blitz call.

Superman is the one you'd want as your QB in the huddle looking into his teammates eyes to calm them down trailing by 6 from their own 20 yard line with a minute to go needing to go a steady 80 yards downfield for the game-winning touchdown.
I understood the first part.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #341
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Told you it was random, haha. Just sayin Bruce is a crazy mother f#$%^ and Supes is the more composure'd personality.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #342
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
Told you it was random, haha. Just sayin Bruce is a crazy mother f#$%^ and Supes is the more composure'd personality.
Now you talk sense didn't like the incestous bit though

Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #343
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

I hope we get to see the bat-cave.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #344
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
The only reason I say it's contrived is because of Zod's characterization. Why would he have any motivation to listen to Superman?
What Zod would do or not do isn't important. This is about what Superman would do. When they first meet, even though Zod presents a pretty grim plan to Superman, there's no reason Superman wouldn't try to dissuade him.

Quote:
When the threat level is high, no one is going to appeal for peace, you have to think about neutralizing the threat before (more) people get killed.
Since at the point in the film I am talking about there had been no violence of any kind on the part of Zod, I again reiterate that there is absolutely no reason for Superman not to try and pursue the peaceful path.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #345
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
The BATMAN FOREVER Two-Face hits a little close to home for people, I think, probably thanks to Schumacher's particular flair. But that's a lot of what Two-Face was like originally, especially during the first part of the Silver Age. Both sides of which Tommy Lee Jones played incredibly well. I think some people wouldn't know a good performance if it bit them in the ass.

Back then, he was basically either Harvey Dent or an often-cackling, murderous psychopath, much like The Joker, but with fewer gimmicks, though he did have an obsession with the number two. By the early 90's, Two-Face had gotten a bit more serious (elements of which were reflected in the film), but there's a precedent for the character we saw in FOREVER, with his puns and his over the top dramatics. FOREVER obviously wasn't only based on the modern Batman mythology of the time.
Yeah, it's hard to fault Jones (or anyone else in that film) for playing the role the film demanded. Batman Forever was a cartoon in live action, and was performed as such by it's actors.

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #346
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think it's also true that he became conscious about being upstaged by Carrey and turned up the volume on his own performance to keep up wit him. I don't know if that's a rumor or not, but to me that really comes across in the film. They both essentially played versions of The Joker, but then again that would be Silver Age accurate.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #347
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Don't forget about grunge rock and Arnold movies that were actually worth seeing. Loved the 90s.
It's an unpopular opinion, but I'm firmly of the opinion that hair metal > grunge rock. The music is just more fun and also took a lot more skill to play, which I appreciate as a guitar player.

Arnold peaked in the early 90s for sure, but post-True Lies his cinematic output was pretty weak. Exhibit A: Batman and Robin.

I'll always have a soft spot for Batman Forever, though. It's tied with B89 for my favourite pre-Nolan Batman film, and I honestly prefer watching it over Batman Begins because I find it more entertaining. Schumacher struck a decent balance in BF between darkness and camp, whereas B&R took it way, way too far into camp.

The campy Batman is arguably just as legitimate a take on the character as the dark and gritty one, and I base that opinion on the fact that the Adam West Batman series remains a television classic to this day. I get just as much enjoyment out of that show as I do from the more serious films -- just in a different way.

But I think Batman fans prefer the darker interpretation because their love for the material means they'd rather it be taken ultra-seriously than played for laughs, and I can't say I blame them. The only time Superman has really been played for campy humour was in the ill-fated musical It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman -- but unlike the 60s Batman show, that wasn't very funny or entertaining.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #348
InnerWarrior
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think it's also true that he became conscious about being upstaged by Carrey and turned up the volume on his own performance to keep up wit him. I don't know if that's a rumor or not, but to me that really comes across in the film. They both essentially played versions of The Joker, but then again that would be Silver Age accurate.
I've heard that before as well. It's clear that his character became even more over the top as the film progressed and as he worked with Carrey.

Like anime, superheroes, and action/drama? Then you'll love the animated web series Outlawed Justice! In the fictional Lighthaven City there is a civil war beginning to emerge. Who will save the city from itself?http://www.innerwarriorstudios.com
Old 01-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #349
InnerWarrior
Side-Kick

I much prefer the "Red book Edition" of Batman Forever

Like anime, superheroes, and action/drama? Then you'll love the animated web series Outlawed Justice! In the fictional Lighthaven City there is a civil war beginning to emerge. Who will save the city from itself?http://www.innerwarriorstudios.com
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #350
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Does anyone know which date is the actual first day of filming? I know production starts in February.

Closed Thread