The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #101
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 22

Colossus has been the strong, silent type thus far in this franchise. Why would that suddenly change now in a film that doesn't even really focus on his team of X-Men?

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #102
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I don't think people are expecting shakespearean acting or dialog from Colossus, just some action.

I'm not gonna let my expectations go wild though, more often than not that leads to dissapointment.

I really hope there'll be amazing sentinel action, but am not letting myself expect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
I liked The Dark Knight Rises.
I thought it was alright, certainly not the worst thing ever.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #103
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Soooo, can we discuss something else? I'm new to these boards.

I'm incredibly confused about the continuity of the entire franchise Pre-DOFP. For all intents and purposes, DOFP might answer these questions, however...

1. Why is Xavier able to walk in the opening scene of The Last Stand, yet Xavier is paralyzed and in the wheelchair at the end of First Class?

2. If Xavier transferred his mind to his "twin" (if that's who he is) at the end of The Last Stand, why is the non-paralyzed twin in a wheelchair in Days of Future Past?

3. If Beast created a cure for mutation in First Class, why does he seem so surprised/taken aback by a cure being discovered in The Last Stand? Didn't he do it himself decades ago?

(As I type this, I realize that The Last Stand specifically causes all of the problems in the franchise's continuity... so far, anyway.)

4. Am I to assume that The Last Stand should be completely ignored, as if it never happened?

If so...

5. Why is Jean Grey's death canon in The Wolverine?

6. Why would Ellen Page come back as Kitty Pryde?

7. Why does Wolverine look at Xavier and say "How is this possible" at the end of The Wolverine, implying that he is 'back from the dead'?

8. Why does The Wolverine specifically take place after The Last Stand?

Some miscellaneous questions:

9. Why does Sabretooth go from being Leiv Schreiber, to Tyler Mane, when both men look NOTHING alike?

10. ^ The same can be said for William Stryker too, played by Brian Cox and Danny Huston.

11. In First Class, Mystique transforms herself into Rebecca Romijn. Why, years later, would Mystique permanently change her appearance from Jennifer Lawrence to Rebecca Romijn?

12. Fassbender-Magento has an Irish accent, yet McKellan-Magneto has an English accent?

There are probably way more, but those are my major gripes. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #104
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStorm98 View Post
Check out @peterg_TMT. -He read the script

Some account asked if Collosus got some lines/screentime in xmen Dofp?
He replied: " He's barely in the script. I don't even remember seeing one line"
Why are we believing anyone and everyone on the internet that says they have read the script?

Does he have some kind of credibility?

Quote:
In the comic Colossus is one of the last remaining mutants after they are running away from the camp and being killed one by one. He goes berserk when a sentinel kills Storm and he starts launching sentinels, until they kill him. Would be cool to see this.
I would love to see something like this as well. One of the best moments from the comic.

Dem Claremont feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
IMO i think Storn must die early in the movie becauce Logan should see that .
If he fails, he will forever lost all his friends (Scott, Jean, Storn). However, She must die in epic ways against a sentinel army loool.

I just hope it isnt like The Dark Knight Rises
I just hope this movie isn't like any other movie.

I'm a little bit frustrated with everyone always talking about what movie the X-Men movies should be like. How about being like an X-Men movie???

I don't want my X-Men movies to be like James Bond movies, or to be like Star Trek '09, or to be like The Avengers, or to be like The Dark Knight Rises.

I want them to be like X-Men movies.

-THAT'S- why I prefer the main trilogy cast and characters better than the First Class cast and characters, and am even so accepting of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The main trilogy wasn't trying to out think itself. For all that the main trilogy got wrong in a lot of areas, at least it didn't try to be something that it wasn't. It just tried to be an X-Men movie and bring these characters to life on the big screen.

Since X-Men 3, we've gotten only spin offs, or prequels that don't even feel like accurate depictions of the characters they are trying to adapt. The only reason why I am even as accepting of First Class as I am is because it's a blatant prequel that at least ties itself very explicitly to the main trilogy, so I can at least accept it under the premise that they BECOME these characters. If X-Men: First Class was the first of the franchise, or a reboot to establish an entirely new continuity, it would be an absolutely atrocious X-Men film, having nothing to do what so ever with the actual comic books outside of blue and yellow costumes, filled with immature, juvenile content from a director who has the maturity level of a 12 year old, that wasn't even intended to be an X-Men film, but rather "A Matthew Vaughn" British gangster / James Bond film.

STOP trying to turn this franchise into everything else, and get back to making X-MEN movies. Stop trying to be Avengers, stop trying to be Star Trek '09, stop trying to be James Bond, stop trying to be The Dark Knight. Just make a freaking X-Men movie for goodness sake.

Quote:
I liked The Dark Knight Rises.
I liked it too. Easily the best of the trilogy.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #105
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

1. Why is Xavier able to walk in the opening scene of The Last Stand, yet Xavier is paralyzed and in the wheelchair at the end of First Class?

Just an insignificant continuity error, retconned in X-Men: First Class to better tell their story.

2. If Xavier transferred his mind to his "twin" (if that's who he is) at the end of The Last Stand, why is the non-paralyzed twin in a wheelchair in Days of Future Past?

We won't know until X-Men: Days Of Future Past comes out and explains this.

3. If Beast created a cure for mutation in First Class, why does he seem so surprised/taken aback by a cure being discovered in The Last Stand? Didn't he do it himself decades ago?

He's actually rather accepting of the cure being created. His concerns aren't about a cure being created, but rather, as he says, "The level of impact this will have on the mutant community". He saw first hand how some mutants were not so accepting.

(As I type this, I realize that The Last Stand specifically causes all of the problems in the franchise's continuity... so far, anyway.)

No it doesn't.

4. Am I to assume that The Last Stand should be completely ignored, as if it never happened?

No.

If so...

7. Why does Wolverine look at Xavier and say "How is this possible" at the end of The Wolverine, implying that he is 'back from the dead'?

Because X-Men: The Last Stand is -not- to be ignored, and is a completely equal and valid installment into the franchise.

9. Why does Sabretooth go from being Leiv Schreiber, to Tyler Mane, when both men look NOTHING alike?

Because it's been decades, and Victor Creed has obviously become more feral, giving into the animal nature of his mutation over the years.

10. ^ The same can be said for William Stryker too, played by Brian Cox and Danny Huston.

Because it is a recast over 2 different time periods. The same way that Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhal played the same woman in Batman Begins / The Dark Knight, but look nothing alike.

11. In First Class, Mystique transforms herself into Rebecca Romijn. Why, years later, would Mystique permanently change her appearance from Jennifer Lawrence to Rebecca Romijn?

That was a simple nod to the main trilogy and not to be taken all that seriously. She didn't "change" into Rebecca Romijn in the future. Rebecca Romijn is what the older Raven naturally looks like.

12. Fassbender-Magento has an Irish accent, yet McKellan-Magneto has an English accent?

Because it was a recast.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #106
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Why are we believing anyone and everyone on the internet that says they have read the script?

Does he have some kind of credibility?
We aren't believing anyone and everyone. We are believing someone who is trustworthy.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 01-04-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #107
xrs13
Cold as ice

who is trustworthy? haha I missed something clearly. Have they said anything on the other characters?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #108
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Soooo, can we discuss something else? I'm new to these boards.

I'm incredibly confused about the continuity of the entire franchise Pre-DOFP. For all intents and purposes, DOFP might answer these questions, however...

[B]1. Why is Xavier able to walk in the opening scene of The Last Stand, yet Xavier is paralyzed and in the wheelchair at the end of First Class?
It looks to be explained In DOFP, something to do with projecting himself through the astral plane to appear to be walking

Quote:
It's a fun cameo is not meant to taken in that way Lawrence is still going to grow into older mystique

Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #109
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Peterg_tmt has said a fair bit about x men days of future past on twitter! he was the one that said kitty would likely have a bigger role now rogues scenes have been cut, and now he says colossus doesn't have much of a role in the script and overall I'm not surprised at all

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 01-04-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #110
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post

Just an insignificant continuity error, retconned in X-Men: First Class to better tell their story.

We won't know until X-Men: Days Of Future Past comes out and explains this.

He's actually rather accepting of the cure being created. His concerns aren't about a cure being created, but rather, as he says, "The level of impact this will have on the mutant community". He saw first hand how some mutants were not so accepting.

No it doesn't.

No.

If so...

Because X-Men: The Last Stand is -not- to be ignored, and is a completely equal and valid installment into the franchise.

Because it's been decades, and Victor Creed has obviously become more feral, giving into the animal nature of his mutation over the years.

Because it is a recast over 2 different time periods. The same way that Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhal played the same woman in Batman Begins / The Dark Knight, but look nothing alike.

That was a simple nod to the main trilogy and not to be taken all that seriously. She didn't "change" into Rebecca Romijn in the future. Rebecca Romijn is what the older Raven naturally looks like.

Because it was a recast.
Why are you trying to answer for the X-Men continuity **** ups? Giving us answers won't change **** because this is how I picture the time line looks right now..

"I'm going to show you something beautiful, everyone screaming for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings...Strings...There are no strings on me"- Ultron

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #111
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I honestly pay no attention to the wacky non-tinuity of the X-Franchise. If the movie is working I'm happy.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #112
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Why are you trying to answer for the X-Men continuity **** ups? Giving us answers won't change **** because this is how I picture the time line looks right now..

Right, that's my concern.

In a lot of ways, the only ones that really stick together coherently are 1, 2, and 3. Everything else is mushing everything up.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #113
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Right, that's my concern.

In a lot of ways, the only ones that really stick together coherently are 1, 2, and 3. Everything else is mushing everything up.
Well not really because you believe they ignored The Last Stand but they have not and a lot of your question imply The Last Stand was ignored.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #114
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I honestly pay no attention to the wacky non-tinuity of the X-Franchise. If the movie is working I'm happy.
Ignoring a few lines of contradictory dialogue here and there I'm fine with. Things like Xavier walking post FC (ok, DOFP are maybe explaining that as mental projection, but his new body being crippled as well?) and the Moira Mactaggert in 2013 for that awakened body could do with a little exposition though.

Sabertooth and Liev? I just figure they were 2 different mutants in the end.

I'm not expecting them to wrap it all in up in a neat bow (the tangled mess pic sums up how unlikely that'd be to do. FC left things a mess) but I hope they at least try to cover some of the major cock-ups.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #115
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Ignoring a few lines of contradictory dialogue here and there I'm fine with. Things like Xavier walking post FC (ok, DOFP are maybe explaining that as astral projection, but his new body being crippled as well?) and the Moira Mactaggert in 2013 for that awakened body could do with a little exposition though.

I'm not expecting them to wrap it all in up in a neat bow (the tangled mess pic sums up how unlikely that'd be to do. FC left things a mess) but I hope they at least try to cover some of the major cock-ups.
Yeah the major gripe I have with the continuity is the Xavier stuff. They won't be able to fix all of the issues, but DOFP should answer some questions.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #116
Manic X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Hello.
Hi.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #117
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
So X-Men is the record holder for the longest running Comic Book franhcise right?

By that i mean same continuity.

You could argue that Superman spans 1978 through 2006 but the 2006 one while the same continuity of the first two movie it didn't feature the same cast.
Yup!

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 01-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #118
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Man, I'm 30 mins into XMen1 and it's so crazy how silly the special effects look and how kinda crappy all the characters look. But I still enjoy the film.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 01-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #119
georgec
Not a hero

The worst one is Wolverine spinning around on the Statue of Liberty when Sabretooth tosses him.

Man, even back then that was a little bad.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #120
xrs13
Cold as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Hello.

is it you? im confused haha

Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #121
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
The worst one is Wolverine spinning around on the Statue of Liberty when Sabretooth tosses him.

Man, even back then that was a little bad.
It's insane how far technology has come in like 10 years. It's seriously like every 10 mins I cringe from something lmao.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #122
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
His Paralysis was most likely temporary in First Class, we'll find out.

Quote:
Simple, he projects himself as paralysed so those who know him see him as he was, his new bosy doesn't even need to be his twin he can physically look like anyone but his mind projects the image of Patrick Stewart.

Quote:
His cure failed around 20-30 years earlier, he was suprised/taken aback by seeing his former human skin once more when meeting Leech and seeing how Raven reacted to the cure he foresaw the reaction it would have among the mutant community

Quote:
Because she died.

Quote:
Because she wanted to i guess.

Quote:
Because he saw him die. From being vaporised.

Quote:
To distance itself from Origins and tell a story of Logan how he is after killing the woman he loved.

Quote:
In the comics sone Mutants experiance a second mutation. Victor craved more power, he wanted the Adamantium bonding process, it's entirely possible that between Origins and X1 he volunteered for experimentation to gain more strength and thats what caused his more animalisic form.

Quote:
Time ages people.

Quote:
She grew up (and they're different actresses).

Quote:
Different actors.

Quote:

The continuity isn't nearly as "screwed up" as people want to believe.

There are inconsistencies, largely superfluous things that don't matter to the stories, but nothing "screwed", most things are explainable.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 01-05-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #123
Psylocke's Bro
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I'd guess 2 fairly paced action scenes for the OT, 1st one some will die and another near the end, storm will die I think pretty early on

The OT ain't just there for action, they are there for scenes with older xavier and magneto also to work with the past scenes, infact probably more for future scenes with them

also a chance to see the new mutants fighting sentinels at the start of film (maybe)
lol, DUH, really?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 AM   #124
Naji Assan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post

Wolverine's adamantium keeps his evolution at bay. Without adamantium, Creed continues to evolve. In Origins, Wolverine is 150 when he gets the adamantium (1982). X1 takes place in 2010 so in the 30 years between those movies, evolution turned Liev Schreiber into Tyler Mane.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #125
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
We aren't believing anyone and everyone. We are believing someone who is trustworthy.
And what makes this guy trustworthy?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
The continuity isn't nearly as "screwed up" as people want to believe.

There are inconsistencies, largely superfluous things that don't matter to the stories, but nothing "screwed", most things are explainable.
CyclopsWasRight pretty much covered what I was going to say.

The continuity isn't anywhere near where people think it is.

Do the details of Xavier becoming crippled in X-Men: First Class, but walking at the beginning of X-Men: The Last Stand contradict each other?

Yes.

Does the narrative of Xavier becoming crippled in X-Men: First Class contradict the narrative of Xavier and Magneto going to Jean Grey's home to recruit her to the school?

No.

Nothing changes about that scene in X-Men: The Last Stand if you put Xavier in a wheel chair. Nothing at all.

Xavier and Magneto having their falling out also doesn't contradict that scene either, since we know that Xavier and Magneto often ally together against a common enemy.

There may be some details here or there that contradict with each other, but nothing within the narrative is ever contradicted.

Quote:
Yeah the major gripe I have with the continuity is the Xavier stuff. They won't be able to fix all of the issues, but DOFP should answer some questions.
I don't even have a gripe with the Xavier stuff. As I explained above, it's a minor contradiction in details that changes absolutely nothing about the narrative.

The narrative continuity of the franchise is actually very, very consistent. Suspension of disbelief certainly needs to take place regarding a few details, but the actual narrative is very consistent.

Closed Thread