The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #51
sef
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

That would be the very first track of the score, 'Look to the stars', though only a very short portion of it is used in the scene you're describing.
It's more prominently featured during the opening credits and all the way through Kal's birth.

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #52
Glassjaw
In training

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Whilst we're on the subject, please come back for BvS Mr Zimmer.

Glassjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #53
WingedAvenger
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sef View Post
That would be the very first track of the score, 'Look to the stars', though only a very short portion of it is used in the scene you're describing.
It's more prominently featured during the opening credits and all the way through Kal's birth.
Not quite...the electric riff isn't there. It starts right as Kal looks at Lois, they hug, then it ends and cuts to the next scene. Also plays during the last Zod/Jor scene at the quote "The Krypton you're clinging onto is gone."

WingedAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #54
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Whilst we're on the subject, please stay away from all future Batman / Superman projects Mr Zimmer

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #55
WingedAvenger
Newbie First Class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=des...&v=OToWrnzK3gw
In this video it starts at 1:27.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #56
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Whilst we're on the subject, please stay away from all future Batman / Superman projects Mr Zimmer
Not for me, hope he stays on, his MOS score was incredible.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #57
sef
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAvenger View Post
Not quite...the electric riff isn't there. It starts right as Kal looks at Lois, they hug, then it ends and cuts to the next scene. Also plays during the last Zod/Jor scene at the quote "The Krypton you're clinging onto is gone."
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAvenger View Post
First I thought it could be the last third of Track 4, 'DNA' but this one has some subtle underlying percussion which the score in the scene at the mentionend time hasn't.
First couple seconds of Track 16, 'Flight' sound similar but the chord progression is a little bit faster, so it's not that either.

Could be something on the 2nd disc of the limited edition then, maybe somewhere in that massive 30min 'Sketchbook' track?

sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #58
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Just to chip in on Zimmer,

I loved what he did with MOS. Yeah, he hit the Zod/krypton theme a bit hard, but I liked the use of drums in the main title - I guess if I had a complaint it would be that I would have liked to hear more of it, rather than the teaser we get in the "flight" sequence.

I thought Zimmer's use of percussion was great and very befitting Superman.

One thing I think Zimmer actually out-did Williams in were the little
tender moments in the film ( when Lara says good-bye to Kal El, when Clark/Kal is learning about his origins from Jor El).

Zimmer certainly dialled it back a notch from TDKR which I found really OTT, but still created a mighty new theme for Superman.

How Zimmer will integrate Superman's music with that of Batman will
be interesting, but I think he's the man to do it. Although having said that,
I think he could benefit from collaborating, like he did on Kung Fu Panda
(which has a range of motifs and themes).

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #59
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Holy crap, I just noticed that Martha works at Sears. I got the DVD today, am watching the film for the 1st time since August... and Martha is wearing a freaking Sears t-shirt. Man, those product placements really got out of hand, didn't they?

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #60
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
Holy crap, I just noticed that Martha works at Sears. I got the DVD today, am watching the film for the 1st time since August... and Martha is wearing a freaking Sears t-shirt. Man, those product placements really got out of hand, didn't they?

I guess it depends bro. On one hand, if you want to connect to the real world, advertising is ubiquitous, branding is everywhere. Makes sense that Ma Kent works at a real store. Personally I think it would be worse if they just made up some place for her to work.

On the flip-side, it was very obvious use of the branding, and at times does seem a bit too obvious (like the Ihop thing).

Just depends on your personal preference I guess.

cheers.

BTW Ma Kent may be out of a job, as one of the Kryptonians threw a train threw Sears.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:43 AM   #61
Nemeres

Random thoughts after rewatching the film:

- The film's a mess, there's no two ways about it... but it has some extra-bright bright spots. It leaves a good taste in the mouth.

- The Jenny actress is great. Why isn't she in more stuff?

- Jenny's ungrateful as eff, though. Lombard saves her life (or he tried to, at his own risk) and when he asks her out she laughs in his face? The hell.

- Crowe's Jor-El is a bit too hammy.

- Cavill's great, but rough. Moments of great expression, others of great woodenness. I hope he knows what he can do better in BVS.

- I can't believe they killed Emil Hamilton just like that.

- Amy Adams is hawt.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #62
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Random thoughts after rewatching the film:

- The film's a mess, there's no two ways about it... but it has some extra-bright bright spots. It leaves a good taste in the mouth.

I loved it from start to finish, so... MESS is in the eye of the beholder. It's got way more to recommend about it than to be critical of, to my eyes.

- The Jenny actress is great. Why isn't she in more stuff?

If you like her check out the PLAYBOY CLUB show. Though... That could explain why you haven't seen much of her.

- Jenny's ungrateful as eff, though. Lombard saves her life (or he tried to, at his own risk) and when he asks her out she laughs in his face? The hell.

Chicks don't have to give it up (and this is in Lombard's character I'd say. Traditionally in the SUPRMAN mythos he's a sexist jerk, so...) just because a man does the right thing and helps someone on the brink of death. And let's remember... Steve did not look like helping Jenny was first on his to do list at that moment. Perry seems to have to goad him into action. And to me... That's ok. Not every person that we hail as a "hero" is actually as selfless as we'd like to imagine.

- Crowe's Jor-El is a bit too hammy.

In what sense? This is a bigger than life role. Frankly... I love some scenery chewing. For something like this, in quite a few spots you have to turn it up to 11 and rip the knob off.

- Cavill's great, but rough. Moments of great expression, others of great woodenness. I hope he knows what he can do better in BVS.

Eh... He had a needle to thread and I think he did so very well. I felt for this version of Superman and his simple goodness and struggle for identity and purpose. To be honest, unless they did this film in the tone of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE people would have complained about anyone in the role in a different type of Superman story, even a more upbeat one. The character has a rep for being EXACTLY as you described Cavil's performance. He has epic moments, but people say they think he is wooden and uninteresting. So... yeah, I think many were going to have the same critique. For myself, I saw a Superman that was essentially still a good hearted and compassionate person, but there was an added level of sympathy and relatable-ness. He also had an easy and natural charm, and plumbed the depths of more visceral emotions as well. But... To each his own.

- I can't believe they killed Emil Hamilton just like that.

Meh. He's really not that important a character. Reading Superman books in the post-crisis era he's not really all that big in the books. Of course he was a bigger part of the DCAU, but let's be honest... He's not some deep character or even all that loveable. People who view the animated Timm-verse version have an attachment to him, but lest not pretend this was the equivalent of killing off Comm. Gordon or Perry White.

- Amy Adams is hawt.

You'll not get too much argument from me on this... But I am happy that they didn't try to sex Lois up too much, if at all really. Lois comes across as someone that is more interested in projecting competency and professionalism in her look, than trying to show off her beauty in MOS. That works so well. Yet she still had that spark, that fire you can imagine Clark seeing and being attracted to immediately.
Just my opinion.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #63
Nemeres

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Just my opinion.
- Mess in the sense that there's a lot of stuff that clutters the story. Stuff like: Jor-El's idea of saving the planet is recreating it somewhere else, not evacuating it. "We're all dead here", he says... but WHY? Why does he care nothing about the living people of Krypton? And after he dies, Lara could try urging the people to evacuate and save themselves, and she doesn't. She just stands by and watches as Zod gets sent to the Phantom Zone, even though she knows that will enable him to stay alive and fulfill his promise to hunt down her son. She willingly gives in to death, even while aware that her son is in danger. Stuff like that. And Jonathan's death... I know there's a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo around it, but it doesn't work for me at all. I can't believe that in a film where Superman actually lets his father die, the most controversial element is that he kills the villain.

But like I said, there's a lot of goodness, too. I like the movie for its parts, even if not as a whole. You gotta let a flawed film be a flawed film.

- Jor-El's hamminess: the way he says stuff like "That's madness!", or the way he talks to Zod in the scout ship... it's a little too big for my taste. He went a little too far with the operatic-ness of his performance, imo.

- Hamilton's not the most important character, but he serves well as a mentor of sorts, something Superman could need later on. Schiff's a cool actor to have around, so to waste him like that... His death didn't even have much meaning. Hardy's did, but his didn't. It's not a big deal, but it's a bummer that we won't get Schiff back, that's all.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #64
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Look what came today

Old 03-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #65
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
And Jonathan's death... I know there's a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo around it, but it doesn't work for me at all. I can't believe that in a film where Superman actually lets his father die, the most controversial element is that he kills the villain.
This.

It was well explained why Superman had to kill Zod. But not saving his own dad? There's just no explanation whatsoever. The whole plan made no sense. And it didn't work: Clark didn't stop saving people and people in Smalville didn't stop relating Clark to strange powers.

Quote:
- Jor-El's hamminess: the way he says stuff like "That's madness!"
Every time I've seen this movie I can hear Zod saying "Madness??? This. Is,. Kryptoooon" in my head right after Jor-el says that. (Hey, it's Zack Snyder after all).

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #66
Nemeres

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post

Look what came today
That is... beautiful. Do enjoy that bad boy's extra content.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #67
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post

Every time I've seen this movie I can hear Zod saying "Madness??? This. Is,. Kryptoooon" in my head right after Jor-el says that. (Hey, it's Zack Snyder after all).

. LOL ! That's awesome! I wonder if in a future Zack Snyder Batman film where Batman and the Joker are on a rooftop (or somewhere high up) and the Joker's going on about Madness and of course Bats says "Madness ????? THIS IS GO-THAM !" and kicks the Joker off the roof.
Dare to dream.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #68
Sardaukar
Side-Kick

I was disappointed that the movie degenerated into a big super-brawl. I'm not necessarily against fighting and violence in a Superman movie. In fact, I was unsatisfied with the lack of action in Superman Returns. I just would have liked to see Superman use his noggin to help defeat Zod and his gang instead of basically just his super-muscles. I loved Superman II when he tricked them in the Fortress of Solitude. I'm not asking for a remake of that at all, but it seemed more satisfying to me than, you know, just breaking a guy's neck. There's a lot of Superman comics where he's actually forced to outwit his opponents rather than physically overpower them.

Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #69
sportjames23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardaukar View Post
I was disappointed that the movie degenerated into a big super-brawl. I'm not necessarily against fighting and violence in a Superman movie. In fact, I was unsatisfied with the lack of action in Superman Returns. I just would have liked to see Superman use his noggin to help defeat Zod and his gang instead of basically just his super-muscles. I loved Superman II when he tricked them in the Fortress of Solitude. I'm not asking for a remake of that at all, but it seemed more satisfying to me than, you know, just breaking a guy's neck. There's a lot of Superman comics where he's actually forced to outwit his opponents rather than physically overpower them.

Yeah, well this was bascially a rookie Superman on his first day on the job. Not only did he have to hold back from accidentally hurting people all his life, he'd never been in a fight before, much less fight anyone on his power level, much less a genocidal superpowered military general. So, I cut him a lot of slack.

sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #70
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
That is... beautiful. Do enjoy that bad boy's extra content.
I will buddy

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #71
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23 View Post
Yeah, well this was bascially a rookie Superman on his first day on the job. Not only did he have to hold back from accidentally hurting people all his life, he'd never been in a fight before, much less fight anyone on his power level, much less a genocidal superpowered military general. So, I cut him a lot of slack.
absolutely ! Spot on. Not to mention a genocidal, now possibly
suicidal general. I reckon Zod wasn't foreshadowing his death
he was asking Kal El to kill him, in the only way he could see himself
dying - battle.

I said it before, Superman punches Zod, OVER the city, it's actually Zod that takes it down to street level in the first place. It's Zod who forces
the issue at the end of the film. Perhaps in future films, Superman will remember how things worked out with Zod and learn from the experience, and do things differently, but in MOS, just like you said, it's his first day
on the job.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #72
WingedAvenger
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sef View Post
First I thought it could be the last third of Track 4, 'DNA' but this one has some subtle underlying percussion which the score in the scene at the mentionend time hasn't.
First couple seconds of Track 16, 'Flight' sound similar but the chord progression is a little bit faster, so it's not that either.

Could be something on the 2nd disc of the limited edition then, maybe somewhere in that massive 30min 'Sketchbook' track?

I have no idea lol
It's the little riff that plays when Lara says "We have," after Jor asks her if she found a habitable planet, and also right before Superman takes off for the Indian Ocean right before Lois says "If that thing is making Earth more like Krypton..."

Old 03-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #73
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

The World's Best Podcast interview Superboy Gerard Christopher, he said he loved Man of Steel abd that he doesn't get the complaints against it.

http://tinmanfrisbie.podbean.com

Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #74
adeel7861
Side-Kick

Hey guys, I wanted to share this video i did showcasing Superman's legacy from Christopher to Reeve to Henry Cavill. Please check it out and let me know if you like it. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-U1pqvsdU

Heres another one titled "Death & Rebirth of Superman" also featuring Christopher Reeve & Henry Cavill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPgyDd0zXs

Thanks!

adeel7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #75
Johnlambert2
Newbie First Class

Today I was watching my DVD of Man of Steel and it dawned on me that many of the "Superman didn't save anyone" criticisms come from not paying close enough attention to the film.

Snyder in a few ways went for depth over breadth. This is clearly true in the saving department. What I noticed was that Colonel Hardy specifically objects to turning over Lois Lane, but dismisses Superman as "the alien". Thus, the military has rejected any connection with Superman. Thus, the people who he can save in the most emotionally meaningful way are members of the military, which he later does.

This film stands up much better if looked at based on its own, and not with a previously set plan it should fit.

Johnlambert2 is offline   Reply With Quote