The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #76
Wild
Banned User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Zimmer is always welcomed in any super hero movie.

Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #77
Sun_Down
Groovy

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
And Jonathan's death... I know there's a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo around it, but it doesn't work for me at all. I can't believe that in a film where Superman actually lets his father die, the most controversial element is that he kills the villain.
This was one of the most frustrating parts of the movie. Made absolutely no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23 View Post
Yeah, well this was bascially a rookie Superman on his first day on the job. Not only did he have to hold back from accidentally hurting people all his life, he'd never been in a fight before, much less fight anyone on his power level, much less a genocidal superpowered military general. So, I cut him a lot of slack.
It's not about disagreeing with what Clark did in the situation, it's about disagreeing with how Snyder & Co. for creating that situation. It's a beef with the hackneyed, juvenile writing.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #78
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

So I've been watching Man Of Steel a lot over the past couple weeks on HBO and have a few questions.

When Superman is laying there reaching out for the sun after he destroys the world engine, is that a cut underneath his eye that is healing?

Also, has it been discussed about what happened to Zod's body? Does the government have it....or did they just bury him some where? Would love to hear some thought on this question.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:21 AM   #79
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
So I've been watching Man Of Steel a lot over the past couple weeks on HBO and have a few questions.

When Superman is laying there reaching out for the sun after he destroys the world engine, is that a cut underneath his eye that is healing?

Also, has it been discussed about what happened to Zod's body? Does the government have it....or did they just bury him some where? Would love to hear some thought on this question.
just the corpse? how about the destroyed world engine and the ancient ship??

Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #80
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
just the corpse? how about the destroyed world engine and the ancient ship??
I was thinking more along the lines of them studying Zod's body in order to find a weakness for Superman. The government still thinks he's a threat. I'm sure they have the world engine/ship and are studying it, but they already have some idea on what they do.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #81
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post

Superman is basically recharging considering that he used up (almost) all of his solar energy reserves trying to counteract against the World Engine's gravity.

The movie doesn't explain if Zod's body was taken, we might see it in the sequel if the writer has an eye for detail.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #82
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Superman is basically recharging considering that he used up (almost) all of his solar energy reserves trying to counteract against the World Engine's gravity.

The movie doesn't explain if Zod's body was taken, we might see it in the sequel if the writer has an eye for detail.
well, i hope the sequel is independent by itself. the main plot isn't derived from the last movie. and the audiences don't have to watch the 1st movie in order to fully understand what is going on.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #83
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Any SupermanRelated Events going at WonderCon this weekend?

Last edited by Mysteryman; 04-18-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Mysteryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #84
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
well, i hope the sequel is independent by itself. the main plot isn't derived from the last movie. and the audiences don't have to watch the 1st movie in order to fully understand what is going on.
Then what's the point of having a sequel?

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #85
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Then what's the point of having a sequel?
i mean the main plot should be independent.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #86
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

This may have been discussed before, but can someone explain how Superman's suit was in the crashed spaceship in the Antarctic? They said it had been there for 20,000 years so how was his costume just sitting there waiting for him?

Last edited by Flint Marko; 04-23-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #87
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
This may have been discussed before, but can someone explain how Superman's suit was in the crashed spaceship in the Antarctic? They said it had been there for 20,000 years so how was his costume just sitting there waiting for him?
The suit most likely belonged to his ancestor, who was the one that had piloted the ship.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #88
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
The suit most likely belonged to his ancestor, who was the one that had piloted the ship.
Was there any correlation between his ancestor landing there thousands of years before or was that just a coincidence?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #89
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Was there any correlation between his ancestor landing there thousands of years before or was that just a coincidence?
Not sure. Jor-el just said that the scout ship that landed on earth was one of many that were sent from krypton to explore the cosmos.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #90
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Well, my theory is that Jor-El "made" the suit for Kal (with a little help from the scout ship computer of course) right after he realized that his son had found him.

Hey, it's as good a theory as any.

I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #91
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Have any Milwaukee Superman fans seen The History of Invulnerability yet?
Its a play about the last moments in Jerry Siegel's life .
It is at The Rep theatre until Sunday.

Mysteryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #92
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Well, my theory is that Jor-El "made" the suit for Kal (with a little help from the scout ship computer of course) right after he realized that his son had found him.

Hey, it's as good a theory as any.
my thought too.
it would have proved our theory if the suit was still under 'sewing' while the portal turning around and revealing it.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #93
Kryptonian Titan
Banned User

Tobias still ''doing his magic'' at the Spider-Man forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
If you are right and with following weeks' competition the film might not get to 220 domestic. That is hard to see happening. Can't see it doing less domestically than MOS.

Kryptonian Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #94
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I'm glad I don't visit other forums often.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #95
sportjames23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Titan View Post

He sounds butthurt.

sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #96
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
The scout ship was Kara's. She was in the open pod.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #97
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Titan View Post

I never thought TASM2 will do less that MOS. the trailers look cool. and it's spidey! the most popular superhero these days.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #98
fanboiii
disciple of truth

MOS has a higher metacritic score than TASM2. That is surprising.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #99
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
- Mess in the sense that there's a lot of stuff that clutters the story. Stuff like: Jor-El's idea of saving the planet is recreating it somewhere else, not evacuating it. "We're all dead here", he says... but WHY? Why does he care nothing about the living people of Krypton? And after he dies, Lara could try urging the people to evacuate and save themselves, and she doesn't. She just stands by and watches as Zod gets sent to the Phantom Zone, even though she knows that will enable him to stay alive and fulfill his promise to hunt down her son. She willingly gives in to death, even while aware that her son is in danger. Stuff like that. And Jonathan's death... I know there's a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo around it, but it doesn't work for me at all. I can't believe that in a film where Superman actually lets his father die, the most controversial element is that he kills the villain.
I can't make you like those parts, but I found them to be quite interesting and moving. Both of Kal-El's fathers were suicidal, which makes sense for them to produce such a morose kid. Jor-El seemed to imply that Krypton was stuck in its ways, and that that was a bad destructive thing. He did not want to spread the oppression of Krypton's genetic classism. That's why it was so important that Kal-El be free born. The hero he gave to Earth is the hero he meant for Krypton, and like his son, he realized he couldn't save both. He kept saying Krypton's time was past in one way or other. He may not have explicitly connected the two ideas of not wanting to continue Krypton, but the implication is very strong. An explicit connection may have helped change the platitude into something practical though for some.

Johnathan did exactly what it looked like. He told his son not to save him. Consider the fact that what was on the screen was exactly what happened. Johnathan Kent said maybe there was nothing else he could do as a Father, then he sent his fast strong son back to the bridge while he went to save a dog, and when in trouble, he looked his son in the eye and said don't save me. That's not a man who intends to live, that's a person who wants to drive a point home, and Clark got that point as he explains by the gravesite. It is not outside of Pa Kent's character to die for what he believes in, and it's actually the strongest lesson he could give to Clark, so it makes sense that he would.

Now we can ask why didn't Clark just disobey his father, but I think the film paints a compelling picture of why he would let his father die if he asked, as his father had spent the last ten years telling him to let people die, and allowing him to experience negative consequences when he saved them.

The film doesn't really suggest that Lara knew what would happen to the Phantom Zone prisoners if the planet was destroyed, or that she had any power to do anything about it. It'd be nice if they had addressed it in someway, but I think it could go either way, and it'd have been a bigger flaw, to me, to have any more storlines on Krypton.

Quote:
- Jor-El's hamminess: the way he says stuff like "That's madness!", or the way he talks to Zod in the scout ship... it's a little too big for my taste. He went a little too far with the operatic-ness of his performance, imo.

- Hamilton's not the most important character, but he serves well as a mentor of sorts, something Superman could need later on. Schiff's a cool actor to have around, so to waste him like that... His death didn't even have much meaning. Hardy's did, but his didn't. It's not a big deal, but it's a bummer that we won't get Schiff back, that's all.
I totally agree with these, I see these as flaws in the film. I think another generic scientist would have fit here better than someone who actually plays a significant role in the mythos.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #100
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Clark lets his dad die just like Superman lets people die everyday by not interfering in conflicts around the world (even refraining from saving innocent lives caught in the crossfire), or by spending time as Clark Kent instead of just Superman every waking minute of his life. In the comics, he hears the voices of everyone around the world crying for help and has to shut them out because he believes it's the right thing to do.

Part of what makes Superman a hopeful, humane character that he continues to feel the pain of this, yet he's still able to carry on.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 05-12-2014 at 05:14 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote