The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #101
michael1975
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 137
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
This may have been discussed before, but can someone explain how Superman's suit was in the crashed spaceship in the Antarctic? They said it had been there for 20,000 years so how was his costume just sitting there waiting for him?
I can explain this well sort of in round about sort of way. Go back and watch the movie and when Faora first introduces her self to Superman she says "Am Faora-El" which means she is from the house of El some how or another.

Each house has there own crest and the S is the symbol for the house of El which they probably been using for hundreds of thousands of years.

michael1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #102
sabetoonth
Who?
 
sabetoonth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,336
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Small correction, she is Faora Hu-ul, So Faora daughter of Hu of the house of Ul.
Though that doesn't explain it. As previously mentioned it was likely there for one of hi ancestors, or the materials were and Jor-El might have made it more fitting for Clark.

__________________
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #103
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 12,432
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Why is this an important question to so many? Either there was a suit from the house of El on the ship because Jor-El an Clark had a relation there (See the tie in comic) or the Jor-El AI used a ship that was equipped with technology that it is easy to assume was outfitted to provide the colonist with what ever they needed including clothing and, there you have it, instant Super-suit.

This seems to be something people NEED to have some air tight explanation for and it baffles the hell out of me as to why?

__________________
My father. 1946-2014

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #104
bluerayer
The Steel Claw
 
bluerayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No, here's two important questions that needs answering: 1. How did Superman shave his beard before he put on the suit and 2. Where did he get some product for his hair?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
There are always tons of things to enjoy and do. Every day can be an adventure.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
bluerayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #105
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,436
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've heard people bring up Superman's beard a lot. I try not think about it. It's really a non issue for me.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #106
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods
 
Scarecrow_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Point of Diminishing Returns
Posts: 4,979
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

S:TAS gave a perfectly reasonable explanation 15 years ago, but people still ask that question. Heat vision and a mirror.

__________________
Well, it's been a shattering disillusionment. Goodnight.
Scarecrow_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #107
bluerayer
The Steel Claw
 
bluerayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Eh, guys, i wasn't really being serious. Maybe i used the wrong smiley? Anyway Kevin Smith(the director not the poster) had a pretty good shaving explanation for those interested. It's a good theory and i like to think about little things like these. But i dont dwell on them or anything.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by zryson View Post
There are always tons of things to enjoy and do. Every day can be an adventure.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
bluerayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #108
Adder
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 92
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyone else find it amazing that a Captain America movie was able to crush a Superman movie at the box office?

Theirs no better measure of WBs failure than this.

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #109
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 12,432
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Anyone else find it amazing that a Captain America movie was able to crush a Superman movie at the box office?

Theirs no better measure of WBs failure than this.
Crushed? Right. $709 MILLION to $650 MILLION is not "crushing" by any stretch of the imagination, nor a failure. Is Cap's extra $50 million due to favorable treatment Marvel has established within the Asian markets, you know... By sucking up to Communist China, both the government and the audience in some way?

Lets see what the Blu ray sales are. After all, despite it making $1.5 billion, Iron Man 3 was bought by less people than those that bought MOS. Seems more wanted to take MOS home with them for rewatching.

And how is WB a failure in any way when more often than not for the last 10 years they've been at the top of the BOX OFFICE.

You're not very good at this trolling thing kid. Stay home and leave it to the pros.

Now be gone... CLAP, CLAP... You have no power here.

__________________
My father. 1946-2014

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #110
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,071
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and Iron Man 3 beat The Dark Knight at the box office.

I guess The Dark Knight is WB's failure, yeah?


Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 06-10-2014 at 08:24 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #111
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I've heard people bring up Superman's beard a lot. I try not think about it. It's really a non issue for me.

I'm just glad that Superman had body hair, unlike a lot of Super-heroes
who must put waaayyy too much time into their grooming routines.

It was awesome that Clark Kent was such a regular guy, old jeans, workboots and faded t-shirts.

Nice !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #112
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Anyone else find it amazing that a Captain America movie was able to crush a Superman movie at the box office?

Theirs no better measure of WBs failure than this.
First, that's the wrong use of "theirs" you mean "there's" as in
the contraction for "there is." It's not really important, but little
things like that might make some people take you less seriously.

Second, while it's fair to say that :

1) Cap made more money at the box office,
and I have to agree with the previous poster that in today's terms
$59 million isn't all that much,

2) It was better received by critics.

Despite those facts I don't think you can label WB a failure just yet - given that the Hobbit films seem to be doing okay ( having made about $1.9 billion so far) and the Harry Potter films probably helped them too (as the last one made about $1.3 billion).

If Box office is really important then Transformersark of the Moon, "crushed" Star Wars, ( compare 36% RT score for transformers and $1.123 billion to 93% for Star Wars and $ 775 million) and also Dark Knight Rises "crushed " Dark Knight. hmmmm...... maybe box office isn't that important after all. Face it folks, people will pay to watch garbage (which is why Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland film made over a billion !) as well as good stuff.

If you liked Cap 2 better because you prefer the character, that's a fair call. Personally, I thought it was okay. Which is saying a lot for me, as I can't stand Captain America as a character. After coming out of the Dark Knight, I just had to see that movie again (which I did, four times, and I felt the same about Man of steel), after seeing Cap 2, I was entertained, but if I don't see it again I probably won't miss it.
But then again, that's just me.


Last edited by Batmannerism; 06-10-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: n
Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #113
Adder
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 92
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Crushed? Right. $709 MILLION to $650 MILLION is not "crushing" by any stretch of the imagination, nor a failure. Is Cap's extra $50 million due to favorable treatment Marvel has established within the Asian markets, you know... By sucking up to Communist China, both the government and the audience in some way?

Lets see what the Blu ray sales are. After all, despite it making $1.5 billion, Iron Man 3 was bought by less people than those that bought MOS. Seems more wanted to take MOS home with them for rewatching.

And how is WB a failure in any way when more often than not for the last 10 years they've been at the top of the BOX OFFICE.

You're not very good at this trolling thing kid. Stay home and leave it to the pros.

Now be gone... CLAP, CLAP... You have no power here.
You're over thinking things. Maybe CAP2 just crushed MOS simply because it was a better movie?

That one ever cross your mind?

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:10 AM   #114
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,071
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and Transformers 3 crushed Cap 2 simply because it was a better movie.

Who's with me?


Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 06-11-2014 at 05:14 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #115
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger
 
Eggyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The good ol' days
Posts: 16,542
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
and Transformers 3 crushed Cap 2 simply because it was a better movie.

Who's with me?
Probably very few people are with you on that one.

__________________
HUMAN BEAN JUICE.
Eggyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #116
Adder
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 92
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
First, that's the wrong use of "theirs" you mean "there's" as in
the contraction for "there is." It's not really important, but little
things like that might make some people take you less seriously.

Second, while it's fair to say that :

1) Cap made more money at the box office,
and I have to agree with the previous poster that in today's terms
$59 million isn't all that much,

2) It was better received by critics.

Despite those facts I don't think you can label WB a failure just yet - given that the Hobbit films seem to be doing okay ( having made about $1.9 billion so far) and the Harry Potter films probably helped them too (as the last one made about $1.3 billion).

If Box office is really important then Transformersark of the Moon, "crushed" Star Wars, ( compare 36% RT score for transformers and $1.123 billion to 93% for Star Wars and $ 775 million) and also Dark Knight Rises "crushed " Dark Knight. hmmmm...... maybe box office isn't that important after all. Face it folks, people will pay to watch garbage (which is why Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland film made over a billion !) as well as good stuff.

If you liked Cap 2 better because you prefer the character, that's a fair call. Personally, I thought it was okay. Which is saying a lot for me, as I can't stand Captain America as a character. After coming out of the Dark Knight, I just had to see that movie again (which I did, four times, and I felt the same about Man of steel), after seeing Cap 2, I was entertained, but if I don't see it again I probably won't miss it.
But then again, that's just me.

OK, I agree cap2 made more money at the box office and that it was better received by critics.

let me add a number 3 to your list though.

3. Cap2 was better received by audiences.

Allow me to use your own sources. cap2 RT audience score 94%. average rating 4.4/5. MOS 76% with an average of 3.9/5.

Again, I think this is the simple reason for number1. You guys must stop over thinking these things. It comes off as desperate(kinda like the grammar Nazi thing).

So, would you say 3 is fair to say?

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #117
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 12,432
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think it's fair to say you're an inept fanboy of a certain studio that has nothing better to do than attempt to start **** with other fans just for your own giggles. Would that be fair to say? You know, seeing as how you overstated things to an insane level using the words "crushed" and "failure" when neither is true?

Oh kids today.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #118
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 38,923
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


__________________
There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #119
Adder
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 92
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I think it's fair to say you're an inept fanboy of a certain studio that has nothing better to do than attempt to start **** with other fans just for your own giggles. Would that be fair to say? You know, seeing as how you overstated things to an insane level using the words "crushed" and "failure" when neither is true?

Oh kids today.
Nah, i'm just a fan of good movies.

If I were a fanboy of a certain studio I might go on a rant about Asian markets and sucking up to communist china. I might even try to change the subject to blu ray sales.

I might try to mount a defense of that certain studio by pointing to other success over the last 10 years.

Fanboys are funny that way.

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #120
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 12,432
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
Nah, i'm just a fan of good movies.

If I were a fanboy of a certain studio I might go on a rant about Asian markets and sucking up to communist china. I might even try to change the subject to blu ray sales.

I might try to mount a defense of that certain studio by pointing to other success over the last 10 years.

Fanboys are funny that way.
So you just ignored all the points made by others that zero in on the flaws of your logic?

That's cute, but as they say: OBVIOUS TROLL IS OBVIOUS.

A little reminder that you came in here first kid throwing BS around so... Yeah if you get push back don't be freaking surprised.

The bigger question would be WHY you would even bother to come and post what you did? Outside of starting ****, there's no better answer. And you, and everone who has read your posts knows it. Despite your supposed love of "good movies" it doesn't speak well of your maturity does it?

__________________
My father. 1946-2014

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #121
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
OK, I agree cap2 made more money at the box office and that it was better received by critics.

let me add a number 3 to your list though.

3. Cap2 was better received by audiences.

Allow me to use your own sources. cap2 RT audience score 94%. average rating 4.4/5. MOS 76% with an average of 3.9/5.

Again, I think this is the simple reason for number1. You guys must stop over thinking these things. It comes off as desperate(kinda like the grammar Nazi thing).

So, would you say 3 is fair to say?
First, "grammar nazi" ? Seriously ?

Second, your whole point initially was that Cap 2 crushed MOS at the box office. What I'm trying to say to you is that, as someone else pointed out, $ 59 million in today's box office terms, is hardly "crushing." Also, that box office returns aren't necessarily the best indicator of good films anyway.

I'll agree with you that using the RT audience response Cap did better than MOS....but then I don't treat RT as the be-all and end all of authority on what's a good movie - because if it were, then Toy Story would be as good a movie as the Godfather, and a better movie than Empire Strikes Back ( I suppose you could argue it is, but I'm not sure how many people would agree with you). RT can be useful, but sometimes it's just plain wrong.

At the end of the day it's personal taste as to which is the better movie.
Personally, because I don't like Cap, I think it would be pretty tough to make a Cap movie that would beat a Superman movie, in my opinion.....oh wait, I take that back, Bryan Singer made Superman Returns, which is pure garbage, and is even worse than those terrible made-for-tv Captain America films from the 80's.

For whatever reason Cap 2 did better than MOS at the box office and with critics in general (whether you look at RT or not). However, given that WB is still doing pretty well with other films, and tripled it's production cost on MOS, I don't think you can say that MOS was a failure, or that WB is failing in general.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #122
Adder
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 92
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
First, "grammar nazi" ? Seriously ?

Second, your whole point initially was that Cap 2 crushed MOS at the box office. What I'm trying to say to you is that, as someone else pointed out, $ 59 million in today's box office terms, is hardly "crushing." Also, that box office returns aren't necessarily the best indicator of good films anyway.

I'll agree with you that using the RT audience response Cap did better than MOS....but then I don't treat RT as the be-all and end all of authority on what's a good movie - because if it were, then Toy Story would be as good a movie as the Godfather, and a better movie than Empire Strikes Back ( I suppose you could argue it is, but I'm not sure how many people would agree with you). RT can be useful, but sometimes it's just plain wrong.

At the end of the day it's personal taste as to which is the better movie.
Personally, because I don't like Cap, I think it would be pretty tough to make a Cap movie that would beat a Superman movie, in my opinion.....oh wait, I take that back, Bryan Singer made Superman Returns, which is pure garbage, and is even worse than those terrible made-for-tv Captain America films from the 80's.

For whatever reason Cap 2 did better than MOS at the box office and with critics in general (whether you look at RT or not). However, given that WB is still doing pretty well with other films, and tripled it's production cost on MOS, I don't think you can say that MOS was a failure, or that WB is failing in general.
"I'll agree with you that using the RT audience response Cap did better than MOS...."

I guess that's the closest thing to a simple yes I'm likely to get. I'll take it, thank you.

And yes, grammar Nazi is a thing.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/grammar-nazi

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #123
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
"I'll agree with you that using the RT audience response Cap did better than MOS...."

I guess that's the closest thing to a simple yes I'm likely to get. I'll take it, thank you.

And yes, grammar Nazi is a thing.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/grammar-nazi
Yes, I have heard the term before.

However, pointing out a pretty basic spelling error doesn't seem that extreme enough to make me a grammar nazi -given the examples of grammar "nazism". What you did is kind of like spelling the number after one, as "too" whereas a grammar nazi would pick on some much more subtle error, like using a preposition to end a sentence.

Maybe I'm a grammar facist, but not a full-fledged grammar nazi. If I was a true grammar nazi I probably would have made a big deal about how you didn't use an apostrophe ' in WBs, to denote possession i.e. WB's failure.


Anyway, I regret mentioning it, because while I disagree with your
statement about WB's failure and the "crushed" comments, it's rude
point out other people's mistakes like that. I apologize.

I find your comments baffling, not because I disagree, but because
I'm not really sure what your'e after. Were you looking for a "simple yes" ?

Maybe we're talking about different things. Anyway, if you enjoyed Cap 2, that's great. As I said earlier, it was a good movie - and again, that's saying a lot for me, as I can't stand Captain America.

If you want to talk about why MOS didn't get the same critical acclaim, or audience response (well at least not according to RT - again, not the be all or end all of authority on what's good) well......that's been done to death.

If you didn't enjoy MOS that much, or enjoyed Cap more, why don't you explain why ? That might move the conversation forward. I'll probably disagree with you on that too, but still I respect everyone's personal taste in films. Nothing wrong with sharing your opinion.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #124
Adder
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 92
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Yes, I have heard the term before.

However, pointing out a pretty basic spelling error doesn't seem that extreme enough to make me a grammar nazi -given the examples of grammar "nazism". What you did is kind of like spelling the number after one, as "too" whereas a grammar nazi would pick on some much more subtle error, like using a preposition to end a sentence.

Maybe I'm a grammar facist, but not a full-fledged grammar nazi. If I was a true grammar nazi I probably would have made a big deal about how you didn't use an apostrophe ' in WBs, to denote possession i.e. WB's failure.


Anyway, I regret mentioning it, because while I disagree with your
statement about WB's failure and the "crushed" comments, it's rude
point out other people's mistakes like that. I apologize.

I find your comments baffling, not because I disagree, but because
I'm not really sure what your'e after. Were you looking for a "simple yes" ?

Maybe we're talking about different things. Anyway, if you enjoyed Cap 2, that's great. As I said earlier, it was a good movie - and again, that's saying a lot for me, as I can't stand Captain America.

If you want to talk about why MOS didn't get the same critical acclaim, or audience response (well at least not according to RT - again, not the be all or end all of authority on what's good) well......that's been done to death.

If you didn't enjoy MOS that much, or enjoyed Cap more, why don't you explain why ? That might move the conversation forward. I'll probably disagree with you on that too, but still I respect everyone's personal taste in films. Nothing wrong with sharing your opinion.
I just find it interesting that earlier you attempted to delegitimize the importance of box office. You used the RT scores to try to make that point.

When I used RT scores to make a point suddenly RT scores also get delegitimized.

I'm not really interested in writing up a cap2 or MOS review or moving any conversations forward. I was looking for an agreement to the number 3 I added to your list given that we were working from the same source.

What I got was close enough.

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #125
Batmannerism
Side-Kick
 
Batmannerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,019
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
I just find it interesting that earlier you attempted to delegitimize the importance of box office. You used the RT scores to try to make that point.

When I used RT scores to make a point suddenly RT scores also get delegitimized.

I'm not really interested in writing up a cap2 or MOS review or moving any conversations forward. I was looking for an agreement to the number 3 I added to your list given that we were working from the same source.

What I got was close enough.

Ah-ha. That's a fair call, it is a bit rich for me to use RT to back up one point and then discredit it in my next. I suppose RT scores were the first thing that came to mind in terms of generally accepted measures of what's good. Of course, as I said, I always take RT with a big grain of salt (I just can't put Toy Story and the Godfather on the same level).

Anyway, I think my original point was that box office receipts don't necessarily correlate with a movie's quality. I could have made that point by comparing Transformers 3 with Star Wars, without mentioning their RT scores, and simply measuring their respective box office returns. There might be some who would suggest that Transformers 3 is a better film than Star Wars (which the box office might suggest) but there are probably many more who would suggest the opposite. I fall in the latter category.

The same could be said of Speed Racer, which didn't perform well at the box office , or with the critics, but is an immensely fun film. Vastly underrated IMO>

Anyway, going back to where this all started, I think that your statement that MOS was "crushed" by Cap 2 at the box office may not be completely correct - although you're definitely correct about Cap 2 getting better critical reception and audience reaction, from RT.

Was it a better film ? Personally, for me, no. For the critical consensus yes.

If that works for you, great !

Again, I apologize for the spelling comment, that was uncalled for - so perhaps the grammar nazi response was justified.

Just a thought though, if you really weren't interested in moving the conversation forward, you probably wouldn't respond to my posts. So, if I don't hear from
you again, thanks, it was fun.

Cheers.



Last edited by Batmannerism; 06-13-2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: civility
Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.