The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Default Fantastic Four Box Office Prediction Thread

OK. Since this movie so called getting made and assuming Fox really wants to make a great movie and invests a budget of $150 mil or more and recognizing that the movie business is a Profit business first what do you guys think this movie is gonna gross??

My Predictions

Domestically
85 Million
International
50 Million

Looks like A bust to me....

But what do you guys think

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Mr. Dent

Default Re: Fantastic Four Box Office Prediction Thread

$270m Fantastic Flop

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

why are they even rebooting it? the first series did well at the box office

I say just recast human torch (for obvious reasons) and go on with the story.

XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Mr.M
Side-Kick

150 Dom max, maybe 175 with 3D. 300-350 WW max. So if they can work on a 120 million dollar budget, it can potentially turn a small profit. But nobody wants a 120 million dollar FF reboot.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Zarex
Side-Kick

The three films I used for comparison are:

The Wolverine (last FOX superhero film)
$133 million domestic
$282 million overseas

$415 million overall

X-Men: First Class (last FOX superhero team (pseudo) reboot)
$146 million domestic
$207 million overseas

$353 million overall

FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Last FOX FF film)
$131 million domestic
$157 million overseas

$288 million overall

Given that this is a reboot of a much less successful series, and what looks to be fewer recognizable actors in the leads, I can't see the film getting anywhere close to the XM:FC numbers. It may even struggle to reach the limited success of the 2007 sequel, which did so well it put the series on hiatus. I'm thinking the reboot will do about 25% less than ROTSS domestically. But as seen with The Wolverine (and other films such as Pacific Rim) overseas totals are increasing in importance. I gave the film a 25% raise over ROTSS, so that the domestic totals are exactly one half of the overseas returns.

Fantastic Four: Let's Kill the Franchise!
$98 million domestic
$196 million overseas

$294 million overall

And that's my optimistic projection. With no merchandising revenue for this attempt, FOX is really going to have to slash the budget to make this work. Perhaps a "think piece" in which the First Family simply "feels" stretched out, invisible, afire and brutish?

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

All very realistic numbers (Mine not so much lol) peoples... Now I Need to hear from the Fox guys. If they're gonna make this movie and won't dare let these rights revert then they must be making some money on this one.. I mean what do you Fox guys think is the financial plan in respect to the FF.

Cyclopswasright, Dr Cosmic, etc I'm calling on you..

Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

[QUOTE=Zarex;27586459 And that's my optimistic projection. With no merchandising revenue for this attempt, FOX is really going to have to slash the budget to make this work. Perhaps a "think piece" in which the First Family simply "feels" stretched out, invisible, afire and brutish?[/QUOTE]

Opa Corman Style(Doin the dancee)!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
All very realistic numbers (Mine not so much lol) peoples... Now I Need to hear from the Fox guys. If they're gonna make this movie and won't dare let these rights revert then they must be making some money on this one.. I mean what do you Fox guys think is the financial plan in respect to the FF.

Cyclopswasright, Dr Cosmic, etc I'm calling on you..
I think they'd pretty much acknowledge the projections in here, even though we are not exactly box office experts here. But a lot of it is common sense. This would do FC numbers best case scenario. But can they do it on FC budget? My answer would be no, absolutely not. Certainly not something that will be a hit at least.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick

This would be a long term investment for Fox. It's about making a good FF film and then (hopefully) building towards a big payoff in future sequels. I'm not a fan of the film's supposed June release date being squeezed between the two comic films that will probably eclipse 1.5 billion. It could be quickly forgotten.

SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
This would be a long term investment for Fox. It's about making a good FF film and then (hopefully) building towards a big payoff in future sequels. I'm not a fan of the film's supposed June release date being squeezed between the two comic films that will probably eclipse 1.5 billion. It could be quickly forgotten.
Hmmm Interesting.. So the thinking is to take the loss and if they make a good film, they'll turn around and make a better profit from the sequel.. Thats real risky and kind of foolish move IMO (especially when they have a Marvel property thats proven in the X-Men). But, they do have the precedence that was BB and TDK (After the Joel Shumacher B&R) in which TDK hit it out the park. But that was the Iconic Batman. The FF aren't on that level.. Thats a lot for Fox to live up to... I guess we'll see what they do..

Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I'm going to wait till they at least cast the movie before calling this one.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Honestly, I think 300M WW is being generous. The Fantastic Four brand doesn't exactly have any global exposure, the only precedent is a couple of mediocre movies 7+ years ago, it won't have the budget to compete on spectacle, and it has a pretty bad release timeslot.

I think Green Lantern numbers are entirely on the table.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 AM   #13
A Dollar Short
Side-Kick

Assuming the film is good I think it can do $350-400 million WW. The biggest thing going against it imo is that release date (which I assume is flexible and will be moved). 2015 is already so bloated, Fox should skip the year in favor of 2016. Just because a few people on the internet monitor the progress of this film daily in hopes that it bombs doesn't mean it's going to happen.

A Dollar Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #14
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I also believe 2016 is the better play. They'd probably have to move X-Men:Apocalypse back though, and that's perfectly feasible since there is no reason to deviate from the 3 year gaps to maintain "event" status. I also believe Fox can negotiate an extension quite feasibly. Everyone was convinced the Supes reboot had to be released by the end of 2012 due to the pending lawsuit against WB, but WB somehow pushed that back 6 months and settled the suit. Obviously, Disney litigating Fox is a different animal than the Shuster Estate, but where there's a will (translation:$$$) there is a way. 2015 is automatically going to put this in Green Lantern type danger and that speaks nothing to the quality of the film.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I also believe Fox can negotiate an extension quite feasibly.
And why would you believe that? The last time there was any talk of an extension was when Fox *turned down an offer flat*.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Honestly, I think 300M WW is being generous. The Fantastic Four brand doesn't exactly have any global exposure, the only precedent is a couple of mediocre movies 7+ years ago, it won't have the budget to compete on spectacle, and it has a pretty bad release timeslot.

I think Green Lantern numbers are entirely on the table.
Easily.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
PaulRom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dollar Short View Post
Assuming the film is good I think it can do $350-400 million WW. The biggest thing going against it imo is that release date (which I assume is flexible and will be moved). 2015 is already so bloated, Fox should skip the year in favor of 2016. Just because a few people on the internet monitor the progress of this film daily in hopes that it bombs doesn't mean it's going to happen.
Pretty much.

PaulRom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
zeptron
Side-Kick

With the date they currently have the movie set the come out on, it may not do very good. It comes out in between Avengers 2 and Batman vs Superman. Also comes out the same day as Pixar's Inside Out. So that's gonna cost them the family audience. And Terminator 5 and Jurassic World are also coming out around that time as well.

Another thing it has going against it, is that it's a reboot of a franchise most people consider to be meh. The Incredible Hulk underperformed at the box office for pretty much this reason. Being a reboot of a movie most people still had a bad taste in their mouths from. Coming out in between Iron Man and The Dark Knight. And movies such as Hancock, Wall-e, and Wanted coming out during the following weeks.

Last edited by zeptron; 01-08-2014 at 06:27 PM.
zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
starscream22
Side-Kick

Some people just wanna watch it burn.

starscream22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #20
starscream22
Side-Kick

Quote:
This right here is wishful thinking. Fox's deadline is 2015 and Marvel isn't giving any exceptions. This reboot is between a rock in a hard place and that's not even including Avengers or Superman/Batman. So with nothing but negative casting rumors and countless script rewrites on the same day as a Pixar film releases is box office suicide.

It'll be the "After Earth" 2015 if anything.

starscream22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #21
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Just because a few people on the internet monitor the progress of this film daily in hopes that it bombs doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptron View Post
With the date they currently have the movie set the come out on, it may not do very good. It comes out in between Avengers 2 and Batman vs Superman. Also comes out the same day as Pixar's Inside Out. So that's gonna cost them the family audience. And Terminator 5 and Jurassic World are also coming out around that time as well.

Another thing it has going against it, is that it's a reboot of a franchise most people consider to be meh. The Incredible Hulk underperformed at the box office for pretty much this reason. Being a reboot of a movie most people still had a bad taste in their mouths from. Coming out in between Iron Man and The Dark Knight. And movies such as Hancock, Wall-e, and Wanted coming out during the following weeks.
Your Hulk comparison is very well thought out

2015 is a tough year. As long as it makes enough to garner a sequel people should be happy.

I think Fox are gonna aim the tone of the F4 more for kids now than it's other franchise as that's where the money comes from now.

I'd estimate around $300 million overall given that Fox superhero movies have been on the rise in both numbers and quality and it's been a while since the last F4 film and the possible younger cast could bring in the Tween crowd and differentiate it from most other CBMs.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 01-08-2014 at 10:17 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #22
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post

Your Hulk comparison is very well thought out

2015 is a tough year. As long as it makes enough to garner a sequel people should be happy.

I think Fox are gonna aim the tone of the F4 more for kids now than it's other franchise as that's where the money comes from now.

I'd estimate around $300 million overall given that Fox superhero movies have been on the rise in both numbers and quality and it's been a while since the last F4 film and the possible younger cast could bring in the Tween crowd and differentiate it from most other CBMs.
I was waiting for this..

You do realize that B.O losses are calculated (Industry Standard) by TWG / 2 -PB (TWG=World Wide Gross PB= Production Budget) so If the PB was (as most would agree for a good FF Film) $150 Mill upwards that this film will, at best break even( or bomb miserably)? and thats not even including marketing costs so that people would actually know about the films release..

So why are they making this movie again?? Not to make their shareholders happy for sure. Numbers never lie so I'll keep my hope alive. Marvel knows these numbers also so thats why there won't be a deal and If Fox is smart there won't be a FF film June 2015

Edit: Though they, Fox could recoup some of the losses through DVD/Blu Ray thats it because they have no merchandising revenue without Marvel's Permission (In which Marvel may grant for a outragious price that probably wouldn't be worth it)

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 01-09-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #23
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
I was waiting for this.
You didn't have to, three other posters had around the same estimate

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #24
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
You didn't have to, three other posters had around the same estimate
While true, the question remains to those who ridicule the ones that cling to hope that these rights revert back to Marvel is Why is Fox making this FF Movie when they have a successful X-Men universe to build and profit from less the risk of a flop... In your (anyone's) opinion do they have anything to really gain in "Keeping the rights from Marvel"?

You and some others seem more than convinced that this movie will begin production and this June 2015 set date is in stone while I (and some others) doubt this because the potential B.O numbers point to a certified BOMB

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 01-09-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #25
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
While true, the question remains to those who ridicule the ones that cling to hope that these rights revert back to Marvel is Why is Fox making this FF Movie when they have a successful X-Men universe to build and profit from less the risk of a flop... In your (anyone's) opinion do they have anything to really gain in "Keeping the rights from Marvel"?

You and some others seem more than convinced that this movie will begin production and this June 2015 set date is in stone while I (and some others) doubt this because the potential B.O numbers point to a certified BOMB

FOX may be waiting for the DOFP release before announcing that the FF reboot isn't happening. The studio can then announce that the film's (presumed) success has moved them to put all of their energies into the X-Men family of characters. They can spin it that the FF's cancellation was due to Days success, not because the studio couldn't get the reboot numbers to work. Further details regardinthe Kinberg/Millar/Singer "X-panded Universe" will be forthcoming.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote