The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #51
Figs
Banned User

Default Re: Fantastic Four Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post

Way to make it about race again. Its not like we don't already have enough of that going on in other threads.

And what makes you think Fox will be able to perform a miracle and make a trailer that gets people interested? They're having a hard enough time as it is keeping people interested in X-MEN. Its not like we have a shortage of superhero movies coming out. This time they have to make people forget about the other 2 FF movies and convince people why it will be better this time, which they're doing a terrible job of already. So many red flags already and they haven't even started filming. When you piss off your built in audience, thats one hell of a red flag.
The reason I brought up MBJ is the fact that most of the hate lately has been about him being cast as Johnny Storm. You were talking about word of mouth and I feel a lot of the fanboys that will be the main "word of mouth" will be talking trash about him in the role.

You typed this " When you piss off your built in audience, thats one hell of a red flag.", which tells me you didn't quite get my previous post. The "built in audience" are the comic fans, they only make up a small percentage of the box office. They're the ones that are going to be crying over the cast, not the general audience. So there is no real "red flag" that this movie will bomb.

Is it a red flag that fanboys across the world will be crying themselves to sleep? Probably. That doesn't mean the general audience is going to cry with them and the movie will bomb.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 AM   #52
Six
Six Six Six

Now that people have had a taste of the Avengers, this kind of movie will never fly. And when people find out that this is preventing them from seeing the FF in the Avengers, they'll be disappointed. The more they find out about this movie the less they'll want to see it.

Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:02 AM   #53
the gael
Side-Kick

There are so, so many things working against this movie that I can't see how it can't bomb !

The very hard competition (against the avengers 2, the new starwars, etc), the fact that the 2 previous film weren't very memorable (and the FF were never adapted properly, I think of your sad attempt, Roger Corman), the reboot thing (a reboot doesn't necessarily flop, but you see automaticaly a lower result from the previous movie), all of this doesn't sound really good.

Add to that a new director, with no real experience, the fact that all the fanbase know that Fox don't really want to make a movie, but will do it only to keep the franchise, a very controversial casting with no A lister (and by controversial, it's not only the one of MBJ, Miles Teller is really the target too), the linked synopsis and the very, very bad communication from Trank.

I know that the "we won't see FF with the avengers, damned Fox !" will only touch the fan base but, well, how can anyone predict a huge success with all of that ? How ? I have never seen a movie with so many handicap since CINO.

Once the outburst againt the casting will end, the movie will slowly die (the fan base will boycott it, and the GA will probably ignore it, due to the other movies and the bad mouthing heard)

the gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #54
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gael View Post
There are so, so many things working against this movie that I can't see how it can't bomb !

The very hard competition (against the avengers 2, the new starwars, etc), the fact that the 2 previous film weren't very memorable (and the FF were never adapted properly, I think of your sad attempt, Roger Corman), the reboot thing (a reboot doesn't necessarily flop, but you see automaticaly a lower result from the previous movie), all of this doesn't sound really good.

Add to that a new director, with no real experience, the fact that all the fanbase know that Fox don't really want to make a movie, but will do it only to keep the franchise, a very controversial casting with no A lister (and by controversial, it's not only the one of MBJ, Miles Teller is really the target too), the linked synopsis and the very, very bad communication from Trank.

I know that the "we won't see FF with the avengers, damned Fox !" will only touch the fan base but, well, how can anyone predict a huge success with all of that ? How ? I have never seen a movie with so many handicap since CINO.

Once the outburst againt the casting will end, the movie will slowly die (the fan base will boycott it, and the GA will probably ignore it, due to the other movies and the bad mouthing heard)
What kills me is that I started this thread so that all the ones looking forward to this film would "put their money where there mouth is(or keyboard)" and even they gave soft returns so I guess it really isn't about making a successful reboot financially. It's about losing money just to keep a property from Marvel. Isn't it like buying the rights over again??

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #55
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Putting aside all the baggage this film has to deal with, that poor release date is just setting it up for failure. Being on June is bad enough, going up against a Pixar film on the same day is just begging for trouble.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #56
Six
Six Six Six

I know what movie I'm watching on June 19th(I'll give you a hint, its something to do with Disney).

Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #57
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
I know what movie I'm watching on June 19th(I'll give you a hint, its something to do with Disney).
AoU should still be theaters then.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #58
Six
Six Six Six

Good point. Lets all go rewatch the Avengers on June 19th and have it beat Fantastic Four at the box office for that weekend. That, or go watch the new pixar movie lol.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #59
starscream22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah either Pixar or Jurassic World...anything but this crap which I hope does less than After Earth's numbers.

Last edited by starscream22; 02-27-2014 at 08:31 AM.
starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #60
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Unfortunately, honestly, I probably will see FF no matter how bad it looks. . .

. . . but if it is looking particularly bad, I can certainly wait a few weeks to see it.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #61
starscream22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Good point. Lets all go rewatch the Avengers on June 19th and have it beat Fantastic Four at the box office for that weekend. That, or go watch the new pixar movie lol.
That's a good idea....

I've already started spreading the news. I have much more faith that Whedon will knock the Avenger's sequel out of the park so it'll still be in theater 6/19. So why not reinvest in an actually good property? Plus you'd be supporting Black Nick Fury, which should shut up the jokers trying to make our reluctance strictly about race...

starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #62
Six
Six Six Six

I'm going to go to the theatre that day just to watch a movie that isn't Fantastic Four and I'm going to invite my friends too. None of them are happy about this.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #63
Casius--J
Web Master

I can honestly see this flopping. After reading the box office numbers of the latest x-men movies I don't see this coming even close to that. Probably 200 million WW at best.

All I know is none of those dollars will be coming from me or my family. The cast is horrible and none of us are happy with it.

Casius--J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #64
EssayM
Just A Guy

I don't know about the competition. Pixar's been losing steam ever since Brave and Cars 2 dissapointed, and Avengers 2 will have had a month for people to get tired. That's not to say that either film will bomb, but I don't think they're going to steal all the money from this movie either. At the very least, I think, with a good trailer and some decent word-of-mouth, the movie will probably at least break even if it's not a big hit.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #65
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

MU just did $743mil....

Old 02-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #66
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
MU just did $743mil....
Compare that to Frozen though. Pixar used to be so far out in front in the animation market it was scary. Now they aren't.

They are still going to steamroll Fantastic Four though.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #67
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Compare that to Frozen though. Pixar used to be so far out in front in the animation market it was scary. Now they aren't.

They are still going to steamroll Fantastic Four though.
There isn't a comparison to be made. The only Pixar films to make that kind of money are Nemo and Toy Story 3. Frozen is the first Disney animated film to make that kind of money since The Lion King.

Toy Story: $361mil
A Bug's Life: $363mil
Toy Story 2: $485mil
Monsters Inc.: $562mil
Finding Nemo: $936mil
The Incredibles: $631mil
Cars: $461mil
Ratatouille: $623mil
Wall-E: $521mil
Up: $731mil
Toy Story 3: $1.06bil
Cars 2: $559mil
Brave: $538mil
Monsters University: $741mil

Old 02-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #68
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
There isn't a comparison to be made. The only Pixar films to make that kind of money are Nemo and Toy Story 3. Frozen is the first Disney animated film to make that kind of money since The Lion King.

You have used a few domestic totals against a few worldwide there. EDIT: My bad I misread that, those are unadjusted worldwide totals.

These are the rankings for domestic totals (adjusted for inflation):

1 Finding Nemo: $470,417,900
2 Toy Story 3: $435,885,600
3 Toy Story 2: $399,435,000
4 Monsters, Inc: $376,485,700
5 Toy Story: $366,300,500
6 The Incredibles:$350,950,100
7 Up: $327,936,100
8 Cars: $311,159,200
9 A Bug's Life: $285,031,500
10 Monsters Uni: $277,223,600
11 WALL-E: $260,278,300
12 Ratatouille BV $250,555,400
13 Brave BV $250,278,300
14 Cars 2 BV $199,941,000

(all from Box-Office Mojo)

'Inside Out' is written & directed by the same people behind 'Up', 'Wall-E', 'Toy Story' 1, 2 & 3, 'Monsters Inc', a few of Pixar's finer efforts.

Last edited by wobbly; 02-27-2014 at 07:45 PM.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #69
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssayM View Post
I don't know about the competition. Pixar's been losing steam ever since Brave and Cars 2 dissapointed, and Avengers 2 will have had a month for people to get tired. That's not to say that either film will bomb, but I don't think they're going to steal all the money from this movie either. At the very least, I think, with a good trailer and some decent word-of-mouth, the movie will probably at least break even if it's not a big hit.
Eh, even the last couple of weak Pixar movies have managed 60-80M opening weekends. Nobody is going to want to face that one the same weekend.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #70
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:

Again, those are still way bigger numbers than Fantastic Four is likely to do. They are all a good deal bigger than The Wolverine, for instance, and I'd be shocked if the FF reboot even does that well.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #71
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Eh, even the last couple of weak Pixar movies have managed 60-80M opening weekends. Nobody is going to want to face that one the same weekend.
Yup, even the lowest ranked one (note these figures are all inflation adjusted) is the first Toy Story at $55 mil. 'Up' & 'Wall-E' were mid 70's. Biggest was Toy Story 3 at $116mil.

Not hard to beleive 'Inside Out' is gonna open rather well too. That's a huge chunk of change that won't be heading this films way.

If they can I could see Fox pushing this back further still tbh.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #72
Six
Six Six Six

Honestly, I can't see them carrying through with this. I'm pretty sure they are fully aware of the odds stacked against them and that they know its pretty much guaranteed to flop. Unless they have a trick up their sleeve that no one saw coming I don't think they're going to start filming on this thing. They'll probably just keep pushing it back as long as possible until the rights revert back.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #73
Excelgeneration
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Yes, if it was rushed and disrespectful to the source material. Marvel have an excellent track record of faithfully adapting their properties, AND making a lot of money while doing it. So why would they change that? Fox can barely handle X-Men. Now they're trying to juggle FF with it.
I don't think FF will do well with Fox and this reboot isn't looking all that swell either but your comment about Marvel's track record went out the window with Iron Man 3. To me Marvel, Fox or whoever can't be trusted when it comes to source material. I just have to read the reviews and eventually see it to know if it was treated at least decently.

Excelgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #74
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelgeneration View Post
I don't think FF will do well with Fox and this reboot isn't looking all that swell either but your comment about Marvel's track record went out the window with Iron Man 3. To me Marvel, Fox or whoever can't be trusted when it comes to source material. I just have to read the reviews and eventually see it to know if it was treated at least decently.
If you are referring to the Mandarin thing in IM3 the one shot with 'Trevor' revealed the real deal is still out there.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #75
Excelgeneration
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
If you are referring to the Mandarin thing in IM3 the one shot with 'Trevor' revealed the real deal is still out there.
Oh ya? Well damn Marvel did a fast back track then lol. Still they should have just used the real deal in the first place. That movie made me soooo uncomfortable... Haven't seen such a bad 1 like that in years. But to stay on the FF topic, yeah... I really don't see this reboot doing big numbers. But then again anything is possible.

Excelgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote