Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #76
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Default Re: Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman! - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I personally want what's important, if thats magic(as it seems to be over at marvel) then I don't see why it can't still be present. It really is some of these other people that are in the either or game. I personally think amazons can be hell a magical even if they have alien origins.

I see. So technically, you're fine with this change, but are also fine with magic. Not much seems to faze you. That's probably a good thing.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #77
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
So... Only WW's origin warrants a radical make over to give her some kind of connection to Superman's homeworld because.... Why? But everyone else will have a recognizable origin? I am not sure what you mean anymore Marvin.
maybe they wrote a story that works better that way?

And I wouldn't call it a radical makeover.

Wonder Woman wearing a Kryptonian outfit and shooting laser beams out of her eyes would be a radical makeover.

Again, I'm more concerned about how they're going to change how things feel in the present rather than the past.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #78
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
So... Only WW's origin warrants a radical make over to give her some kind of connection to Superman's homeworld because.... Why? But everyone else will have a recognizable origin? I am not sure what you mean anymore Marvin.
radical? as it stands amazons came from where exactly, monkeys?
Tying their beginnings to kara instead can still yield something very recognizable. Making wonder woman come from krypton by way of scout ship would be another matter imo.

Again, they've been changing cbm orgins for 15 years now. Yes, everyone else would be recognizable.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #79
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm sure it could be explained in 2 minutes. Doesn't mean it should only be two minutes worth of material to explore.

What do you think. I mean really.
That's the implication you get here?
Like I said, literally worst case scanario is your first option.

I personally want what's important, if thats magic(as it seems to be over at marvel) then I don't see why it can't still be present. It really is some of these other people that are in the either or game. I personally think amazons can be hell a magical even if they have alien origins.

magical island et all.
That would be terrible

And I'm not saying that they have to be mutually exclusive but it is so stupid to me to randomly have the Krypton origin but then going "oh wait nevermind she really is magical but not really magical." huh? If your going to go that direction you might as well go the whole nine yards and just say she is a Scifi character.

Quote:
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 AM   #80
Marvin
Side-Kick

If the amazons pray and worship real gods, why not. I mean Aquaman has fish powers, yet Aqualad(also a fish guy) has full on magical mojo going on.
Make them them a 'culty' society, have the kara ties explain why it's all women, I don't know, there's lots of angles that would do the whole thing justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I see. So technically, you're fine with this change, but are also fine with magic. Not much seems to faze you. That's probably a good thing.
I don't think this change and magic as mutually exclusive.

And not much fazes me till after I have something to judge. I've been around here to long to be any other way. Organic webs was a fun one.

Last edited by Marvin; 01-07-2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:06 AM   #81
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:

Again, they've been changing cbm orgins for 15 years now. Yes, everyone else would be recognizable.
Have they? Perhaps minor changes, but I don't remember them tying two previously unrelated character origins together before.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 AM   #82
regwec
Shakespearo

This "rumour" is not even a "rumour", but merely the ramblings of a fan who is renowned for being a bit thick.

It isn't worth any more aggro.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 01-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #83
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Have they? Perhaps minor changes, but I don't remember them tying two previously unrelated character origins together before.
It's never happened. I think people are just trying to convince themselves it's the right approach because they like it. I'm not saying that she should be a page for page adaptation of the first comic but come on!

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #84
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
This "rumour" is not even a "rumour", but merely the ramblings of a fan who is renowned for being a bit thick.

It isn't worth any more aggro.
You have a point.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 01-07-2014, 04:14 AM   #85
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
It's never happened. I think people are just trying to convince themselves it's the right approach because they like it. I'm not saying that she should be a page for page adaptation of the first comic but come on!
That's what I thought. If this does happen, it's a first. I like to think I'm open to change, but am undecided about this.

And as some have said, it's not even a real thing yet, so I'm really just talking hypothetically.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 AM   #86
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
You'd have to define related. From tdk, to jack nicolson, to marvel, to what looks to be happening in ASM. It's happened. However, something about the mos universe wipes memories and makes everything ultra relevant(from superman killing for the very first time ever to... etc)
I digress, it's bed time.

As for what's worth taking about. It'd be just as relevant an idea/prospect to discuss if any hype member put it forth imo. Seems like an interesting idea.

Last edited by Marvin; 01-07-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #87
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
You'd have to define related. From tdk, to jack nicolson, to marvel, to what looks to be happening in ASM. It's happened. However, something about the mos universe wipes memories and makes everything ultra relevant(from superman killing for the very first time ever to... etc)
I digress, it's bed time.

As for what's worth taking about. It's be just as relevant an idea/prospect to discuss if any hype member put it forth imo. Seems like an interesting idea.
I don't mind discussing it, but people do sometimes get carried away and seem to forget it's not a fact. And this is different than superman killing because there was examples of that from the source material. There is no precedent for this in the comics and I think that's people's issue with it. As I said, I'm not totally against this, but can see why some would be.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #88
regwec
Shakespearo

Assuming that we do see some of the Amazon culture, I am fascinated to see how Weta designs it. I'm sure they could produce something really striking by developing concepts in Greek art and architecture, just as they developed the material cultures of Middle Earth from from genuine historical ones.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 01-07-2014, 04:32 AM   #89
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Assuming that we do see some of the Amazon culture, I am fascinated to see how Weta designs it. I'm sure they could produce something really striking by developing concepts in Greek art and architecture, just as they developed the material cultures of Middle Earth from from genuine historical ones.
Agreed. It will be amazing to see realized for the first time on the big screen.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #90
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

If they have time in a solo film I would like to see them do something that is often glossed over in CBMs: Training. The constant honing of mind, spirit and body it would require to continually operate at the level most superheroes do. WW's people are all about self actualization so I think that could easily fit in. Maybe they have a philosophy of "Make yourself a better person so that you can make a better world" or something similar?

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 AM   #91
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Q0bMuvBME

Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 AM   #92
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
If they have time in a solo film I would like to see them do something that is often glossed over in CBMs: Training. The constant honing of mind, spirit and body it would require to continually operate at the level most superheroes do. WW's people are all about self actualization so I think that could easily fit in. Maybe they have a philosophy of "Make yourself a better person so that you can make a better world" or something similar?
It's sad that Batman Begins' training scenes are the best action sequences of the movie. From the intercutting of wide and ultra wide shots, to the close up of the impact as each sword hits, to the medium angles as the blades pull away.

If he had applied that aesthetic to the fighting (and got better choreographers) we might have had rather strong action.

An over-the-shoulder shot of a punch being thrown, close-up of the fists hitting the target, and a medium shot of two brawlers engaging in conflict (with the occasional wide shot). It would be a lot more immersive that way, instead of going shakey cam or locking in the cam so that the cameraman himself seems bored with the action.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #93
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Having grown up on Morrison's Batman, I'd expect no less.
Long live Uber-Bat-God.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #94
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Who says the Kryptonians don't have the technology to engineer people from "clay" or create lassos that make people tell the truth?

Maybe this group went all "Bioshock" with their advanced technology and turned themselves into 'Gods'.
Because no where in MOS was it shown that Krypton was on that level of scientific advancement. Otherwise, why not simply snap a finger and teleport off the exlpoding planet?

Your other claim is impossible. If you are stranded on a planet 20000 years less advanced you will not be able to advance your own scientific understanding by simple rule of limited resources. If you are a particle physicist and suddenly get transported back into the middle ages you will not be able to build a particle accelerator there. You might have all the knowledge but you can't use it practically because your don't have the necessairy tools, materials and so on and forth.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #95
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ The lasso of truth comes from an ancient Kryptonian fiber, whose threads are filled with truth serum that cut into the skin and invade the bloodstream, causing a confession on those bound tightly with it.
That... urmph... sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #96
The Guard
Side-Kick

Obviously it's just speculation, and I think it's needlessly complicated in the end, but for the sake of argument, let's say they made the Amazons descendants of Kryptonians in some fashion...but they were still Amazons, with their requisite Greek-inspired mythologies, etc, and some sort of product of genetics/evolution. Would people be any more likely to accept that?

In the real world, we know that the Greeks basically made up their gods and goddesses, or drew them from other religions. Couldn't Wonder Woman's mythology reflect that in a sense?

I think the only overarching interesting idea here is that Kryptonians seeded Earth and some other worlds. The argument is that this makes everything about Superman. But that's not about Superman, per se, that's about Kryptonians. More to the point, it's about common ancestry for all beings. That's a much bigger idea than "Superman's mythology".

Also, who says magic can't exist? Maybe the descendants of Kryptonians also discovered/interacted with magical forces.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #97
Jekecy
Side-Kick

At first I was really against the Kryptonian angle for Diana, but if they do go this route, I would hope it's something beyond a haphazard means of integrating Themyscira into this universe. If Goyer actually plans to reinvent the origin, I have a notion he's going to implement a bit of world-building as well. He's fairly adept at that (as shown with MOS, particularly Krypton).

I wouldn't mind if Kryptonians were in some way the ancestors of all humanoids on Earth (including Amazons). A bit like Prometheus. So you don't necessarily have Amazons as Kryptonians, but they do share a lineage, however distant that may be. Which I think is still fine. Doesn't impede anything significant as far as I can see. And it does try to make sense of how all these species look exactly the same but are somehow galaxies/worlds/dimensions apart. It's going to be increasingly important as the DCU expands over the years. Particularly once we start exploring other worlds.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #98
LaughingMage
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's what I thought. If this does happen, it's a first. I like to think I'm open to change, but am undecided about this.

And as some have said, it's not even a real thing yet, so I'm really just talking hypothetically.
To me the problem is, I don't care about Superman or Batman. I want a WW movie, a 100% WW movie somewhere down the line and I want the whole thing. WW fighting her best villains which are Ares and Circe, interaction with creatures and beings from Greek mythology. A WW introduced in MOS as a Kryptonian off shoot pretty much nails the coffin shut to a true WW movie in that vein and I really really have no interest in seeing a WW movie where she fights a genetically engineered werecheetah that's simply too limited in scope.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #99
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post

In the real world, we know that the Greeks basically made up their gods and goddesses, or drew them from other religions. Couldn't Wonder Woman's mythology reflect that in a sense?
My issue with this is that she fights a lot of characters from the greek myths...Circe...Ares and Hades just off the top of my head. WW just got an upgrade in powers since it was revealed that she is the daughter of Zeus. By making up the mythology you lose a lot of villains in an already very weak villain pool.

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #100
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingMage View Post
To me the problem is, I don't care about Superman or Batman. I want a WW movie, a 100% WW movie somewhere down the line and I want the whole thing. WW fighting her best villains which are Ares and Circe, interaction with creatures and beings from Greek mythology. A WW introduced in MOS as a Kryptonian off shoot pretty much nails the coffin shut to a true WW movie in that vein and I really really have no interest in seeing a WW movie where she fights a genetically engineered werecheetah that's simply too limited in scope.
This change of her mythology probably won't even happen. You could still get the WW movie you want.

Closed Thread