The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #26
Zeus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

Yes...Yes I did

Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nam rorriM- View Post
Fair point. I still want Joaquin though. He could be so many emotions, and lex needs someone like that. He can be warming and charming ( good for the public ) but go dark and cold in the eyes for supes. Cranston would attract attention and maybe become THE lex luthor of all time, but I kinda wanna see Joaquin have a go first.
My only concern is that phoenix wont be intimidating. Even in gladiator, he was just an entitled, bratty psychopath more than anything else (even though he gave one of my favorite performances on screen). Personally, Phoenix just doesn't come across as badass, and Lex Luthor is supposed to be just that; he's suppposed to be the guy you just don't f*** with. Cranston would be my number one, and for the lack of an intimidation factor, Phoenix had been placed as a close 2. Would be more than happy with either, though.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #28
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguy22 View Post
My only concern is that phoenix wont be intimidating. Even in gladiator, he was just an entitled, bratty psychopath more than anything else (even though he gave one of my favorite performances on screen). Personally, Phoenix just doesn't come across as badass, and Lex Luthor is supposed to be just that; he's suppposed to be the guy you just don't f*** with. Cranston would be my number one, and for the lack of an intimidation factor, Phoenix had been placed as a close 2. Would be more than happy with either, though.
Phoenix plays a badass in We Own The Night. He also plays a really bad dude in The Immigrant. Cranston was kinda meh in Total Recall. If we are going with an older Lex; Denzel all day every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Yes...Yes I did

I'm a fan.

But Lex will definitely be an actor in the A-list category.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Even in gladiator, he was just an entitled, bratty psychopath more than anything else
Because that's exactly what Commodus was?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #30
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
We can't handle the Phoenix.

Joaquin Phoenix got so involved in the scene where Commodus murders his father that he actually fainted afterward.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #31
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
We can't handle the Phoenix.

Joaquin Phoenix got so involved in the scene where Commodus murders his father that he actually fainted afterward.
Meh, big deal. You want to talk method acting? I'll show you method acting. Christian Bale was so committed to playing Patrick Bateman that he actually KILLED people to prepare himself for the role!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #32
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
We’ve discussed it often on the site and our podcast: A Lex Luthor who is charming and intelligent and sophisticated business mogul in public, but ruthless psychopath demagogue behind closed doors? That’s a Lex we have yet to see, and the more pronounced bi-polar shifts of Mr. White/Heisenberg weren’t as attractive as the slow burn descents of Denzel in Man on Fire or Joaquin in The Master.
So who says Cranston can't deliver on something this? Do people really think that he's incapable of playing a different role, or is going to somehow just phone this in like it's Heisenberg 2.0? He's an actor, a damn good one, and he has plenty of range.

Not trying to sound like a mindless Cranston shill but damn, give the man a little credit please.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #33
-Nam rorriM-
Eater of toasties

Joaquin would be great because for lex to be threatening, he doesn't need to shout often. Lex is perfect when he's so sure of himself. He doesn't need to threaten you like a Heisenberg. He is purely right in all his actions ( he thinks ). Joaquin's got that in spades. I can see the reveal now, where the vail is lifted and supes discovers what ever lex is doing, but it doesn't matter, he'd have him so tied up in public perceptions that he couldn't make a move. I hope lex isn't ousted in this film, rather a continuation into MOS sequal. Whoever is villain two can be defeated in this upcoming film. Plus Joaquin is a decent age to still be doing stunts if necessary, not OTT but he'll need to be flexible at least. Bleh

Old 01-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #34
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
So who says Cranston can't deliver on something this? Do people really think that he's incapable of playing a different role, or is going to somehow just phone this in like it's Heisenberg 2.0? He's an actor, a damn good one, and he has plenty of range.

Not trying to sound like a mindless Cranston shill but damn, give the man a little credit please.
I personally want a younger Lex.

If Cranston ends up playing Lex...I won't complain.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #35
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post

Agreed. Cranston isn't my first choice for the role (mainly due to age) but the last time I checked, Lex Luthor wasn't a meth-cooking former chemistry teacher from New Mexico. Granted, there are parallels you can drawn between Lex and Heisenberg, but there's no reason to assume that Cranston would play Lex as "Heisenberg-Lite" or whatever.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #36
Masone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nam rorriM- View Post
Joaquin would be great because for lex to be threatening, he doesn't need to shout often. Lex is perfect when he's so sure of himself. He doesn't need to threaten you like a Heisenberg. He is purely right in all his actions ( he thinks ). Joaquin's got that in spades. I can see the reveal now, where the vail is lifted and supes discovers what ever lex is doing, but it doesn't matter, he'd have him so tied up in public perceptions that he couldn't make a move. I hope lex isn't ousted in this film, rather a continuation into MOS sequal. Whoever is villain two can be defeated in this upcoming film. Plus Joaquin is a decent age to still be doing stunts if necessary, not OTT but he'll need to be flexible at least. Bleh
My idea was that Lex starts out as Superman's friend, and actually uses him and Batman to win the presidential election because the incumbent was publicly against them. So basically Lex rides Superman into the presidential seat and it's not revealed until the end(or another movie) that Lex was behind everything and that he was basically never Superman's friend and used him like a pawn on a chessboard to get in a position to be a more effective enemy of Superman.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #37
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
You neglected to to think about what I said about his performance. I obviously thought he did an excellent job. If not, I would have said he was subpar in the movie. Clearly, I recognize he is a fantastic actor. I pointed to gladiator as a way to illustrate what I thinking. However, I have trouble seeing Phoenix portraying the badass part of Lex Luthor, as he does not seem like the physical (and not in terms of just fighting) Lex Luthor popularized in recent years with stories like All-Star Superman and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel(the version I am most fond of). It is difficult for me to imagine him having the physical presence needed for this version of Lex.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #38
-Nam rorriM-
Eater of toasties

Thumbs up Re: Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
My idea was that Lex starts out as Superman's friend, and actually uses him and Batman to win the presidential election because the incumbent was publicly against them. So basically Lex rides Superman into the presidential seat and it's not revealed until the end(or another movie) that Lex was behind everything and that he was basically never Superman's friend and used him like a pawn on a chessboard to get in a position to be a more effective enemy of Superman.
Sounds good to me . I know a lot of people like the idea of lex testing supes powers and stuff, but wouldn't it be cool if they flip it and have him do loads of "events/crimes/evil doings" simultaneously, forcing supes to make choices ala you can't save them all type? It would also drive home the inevitable need for parnership with a certain cowl wearing rich jerk and a tiara wearing tank/ warrior?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #39
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick

Would you have considered Cranston intimidating prior to Breaking Bad?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #40
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

The order of the Phoenix.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #41
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Prior to Breaking Bad, the only show I had ever seen him in was Malcolm in the Middle, so no, I would not have considered him "intimidating". However, Cranston has "a look" as I would like to describe it, which makes his "intimidating" more believable. Even at his age, he is still able to pull it off. Phoenix, on the other hand, just doesn't give me that vibe. I am definitely more familiar with Phoenix, and I still can't believe that he could pull of intimidating better the Cranston. Younger doesn't necessarily equate to more physical, which in my case is the Lex I want, someone willing to stand right in Supes face without fear of possible consequences and more than willing to punch him in the face.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #42
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
You neglected to to think about what I said about his performance. I obviously thought he did an excellent job. If not, I would have said he was subpar in the movie. Clearly, I recognize he is a fantastic actor. I pointed to gladiator as a way to illustrate what I thinking. However, I have trouble seeing Phoenix portraying the badass part of Lex Luthor, as he does not seem like the physical (and not in terms of just fighting) Lex Luthor popularized in recent years with stories like All-Star Superman and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel(the version I am most fond of). It is difficult for me to imagine him having the physical presence needed for this version of Lex.
While you're right about Commodus being spoiled and bratty, he was still intimidating. Watch the "busy little bees" speech Commodus gives his own sister in Gladiator. Phoenix can do intimidating. He can so intense and he has presence. Watch the Master. Even in the trailer to that movie, he had presence. Of course, he won't be playing his previous characters, but my point is he is an actor that can handle whatever is thrown at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
The order of the Phoenix.

Yes. Bring it!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #43
regwec
Shakespearo

His performance as Commodus is chilling because he channels the character's viciousness through this aggravated self pity. He makes Commodus completely unhinged but completely plausible. I find that much more unnerving than the conventional "badass" type villain.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #44
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Me too. Commodus is terrifying because he could very easily be a real person. He felt real. And it was infuriating and fascinating to watch.

Other actors could be good in the role too, but Phoenix would be that little bit extra.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #45
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
I'd rather an ideological battle between Lex and Superman (Superman seeing the good in humanity vs. Lex believing that Superman prevents progression). The whole political backstabbing thing seems a bit overplayed seeing as how most crime dramas on TV focus on that as a side story.

However, it does fit in well with the issues of Superman being a literal superpower to other countries, and you could even make it so that every world leader has betrayed Superman out of fear.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #46
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
His performance as Commodus is chilling because he channels the character's viciousness through this aggravated self pity. He makes Commodus completely unhinged but completely plausible. I find that much more unnerving than the conventional "badass" type villain.
Again, by badass, I am just speaking of presence. Phoenix is the king of doing creepy and unsettling (and his commodus made me more upset than any other film character IN HISTORY, with maybe the exception of the nurse in one flew over the cuckoo's nest), but Lex shouldn't necessarily be justcreepy; besides, a lot of movies have been trying to use the creepy villain (007 comes to mind). On that same train of thought, Cranston can pull off both. Do I doubt that Phoenix would do a fantastic luthor? Absolutely not. But (and this is where I think the opposition is coming from) Cranston is the safer pick, even though Phoenix is the superior actor (in which case, it might just be his face that's throwing me off).

Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #47
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Again, by badass, I am just speaking of presence. Phoenix is the king of doing creepy and unsettling (and his commodus made me more upset than any other film character IN HISTORY, with maybe the exception of the nurse in one flew over the cuckoo's nest), but Lex shouldn't necessarily be justcreepy; besides, a lot of movies have been trying to use the creepy villain (007 comes to mind). On that same train of thought, Cranston can pull off both. Do I doubt that Phoenix would do a fantastic luthor? Absolutely not. But (and this is where I think the opposition is coming from) Cranston is the safer pick, even though Phoenix is the superior actor (in which case, it might just be his face that's throwing me off).
I'm not sure I understand you. You think Commodus was "just creepy"? What is it you think Phoenix is missing? What is "badass" to you?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #48
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Yes...Yes I did

sinestro....

Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #49
Mikelus
Islander

I like Joaquin and all, but will he accept doing sequels? Lex should appear in more than one, if he doesn't fight Superman in MOS2, then he should in MOS3... then maybe a JL movie if they use the Legion of Doom or a League of villains, with him as the leader of course... the suspense is mortal!!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #50
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I'm not sure I understand you. You think Commodus was "just creepy"? What is it you think Phoenix is missing? What is "badass" to you?
At no point in Gladiator did I feel like Commodus was "tough"; Lex, at least the characterization I want represented in the movie (which very well might not be the one you, or anyone else for that matter wants) is supposed to be somewhat of a tough, macho "I'm the manliest and most intelligent/perfect man on the planet" type of guy. Phoenix just seems to lack that swagger to me.

Closed Thread