The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #51
InJustice
Side-Kick

Default Re: Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelus View Post
I like Joaquin and all, but will he accept doing sequels? Lex should appear in more than one, if he doesn't fight Superman in MOS2, then he should in MOS3... then maybe a JL movie if they use the Legion of Doom or a League of villains, with him as the leader of course... the suspense is mortal!!
In addition, you also have the issue that Joaquin Phoenix may not even want to do a blockbuster film. The funny thing is that despite that issue, people are getting a bit hyped up at the potential for Phoenix to play Luthor.

I'm personally pessimistic, but we'll wait and see.

Last edited by InJustice; 01-07-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #52
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
sinestro....
Genius. I can't unsee it now.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #53
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Perhaps in a few years. I feel like Sinestro needs someone a tad bit older with a more commanding presence. I prefer Richard Armitage.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #54
roach
I am the night

From AMC's John Campea:

"TEAM AMASIAN wasn't trying to be deceptive at all. They just jumped the gun and started using the wrong terminology... like "confirmed". It's not confirmed. They are not professional movie bloggers and simply made a rookie mistake. As a result, for now we've set the video they recorded as "private"."

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #55
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

I'm still hoping Jason Clarke is cast as Luthor.

Phoenix is a better actor by far, but I can't really see him putting the battle armor on.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #56
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Yes...Yes I did

Can we please stop talking about Luke Evans? Seeing him brought up makes me sad that Affleck is playing Batman.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #57
StarLord
Tech Noir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
I'm still hoping Jason Clarke is cast as Luthor.

Phoenix is a better actor by far, but I can't really see him putting the battle armor on.
He was my first choice too, but I think he'll be joining the Terminator franchise.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #58
Zeus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Can we please stop talking about Luke Evans? Seeing him brought up makes me sad that Affleck is playing Batman.
I know how you feel bro...Man hug.

It was me who posted those and I cannot believe they did not choose him as the new Batman. He is so perfect. Hopefully they cast him in a DC film though

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #59
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:

It was me who posted those and I cannot believe they did not choose him as the new Batman. He is so perfect. Hopefully they cast him in a DC film though

Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #60
StarLord
Tech Noir.

Quote:

It's simple. He doesn't fit Snyder and WB's vision.

We've already been informed that this Batman is ''tired and weary and seasoned'' and Luke is't really old enough, nor big enough of a name yet.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #61
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
It's simple. He doesn't fit Snyder and WB's vision.

We've already been informed that this Batman is ''tired and weary and seasoned'' and Luke is't really old enough, nor big enough of a name yet.
That's pretty much why I'm not interested to see this iteration of Batman. We just had a tired and weary Batman in Dark Knight Rises and it was boring.

I'd even rather see the hyper violent brutal Miller All Star version at this point than another old tired and weary Bruce.

Big enough of a name should never be a director's priority, which leads me to believe that Ben was a studio choice. Directors shouldn't care about how big an actor's name is because it adds absolutely nothing to the performance. In fact I'd argue that it worsens it because it's harder to believe the actor as an iconic character like Batman when you see their face plastered across advertisements and tabloid covers in the real world.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #62
StarLord
Tech Noir.

Quote:
Big enough of a name should never be a director's priority, which leads me to believe that Ben was a studio choice. Directors shouldn't care about how big an actor's name is because it adds absolutely nothing to the performance. In fact I'd argue that it worsens it because it's harder to believe the actor as an iconic character like Batman when you see their face plastered across advertisements and tabloid covers in the real world.
I dunno, that's more of a personal choice of being stubborn and refusing to see the actor as the character.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this but agree on the Jason Clarke part.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #63
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
That's pretty much why I'm not interested to see this iteration of Batman. We just had a tired and weary Batman in Dark Knight Rises and it was boring.

I'd even rather see the hyper violent brutal Miller All Star version at this point than another old tired and weary Bruce.

So what are you doing here then? You've clearly got your mind made up, so why waste time talking about the movie?

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #64
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
I dunno, that's more of a personal choice of being stubborn and refusing to see the actor as the character.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this but agree on the Jason Clarke part.
Yeah I agree definitely on Clarke. He's always sold me on having this cool intelligent and calm demeanour that thinly veils the brutal thug lying beneath.

His eyes too. Piercing and calculating.

Perfect Lex.

That isn't to say i'd be dissapointed if Phoenix got the role. but I'd be concerned about him making more than one appearance.

Cranston on the other hand I am against. i loved what he did as Walter White, but I can't see him as Lex.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #65
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
So what are you doing here then? You've clearly got your mind made up, so why waste time talking about the movie?
I'm here to see MOS2 and the incarnation of Wonder Woman. You know. The other stuff in this movie.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #66
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
I'm here to see MOS2 and the incarnation of Wonder Woman. You know. The other stuff in this movie.
I understand that, but unless you're going to close your eyes whenever Batman is on the screen, you might want to be a little more open-minded. At least until we actually see something or know a little bit more about the movie.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #67
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I understand that, but unless you're going to close your eyes whenever Batman is on the screen, you might want to be a little more open-minded. At least until we actually see something or know a little bit more about the movie.
Oh I accept that Batman is in this movie. I don't even mind that he's there. I'm just not thrilled about the prospect of a star playing him and his character being old, tired and weary.

I'll give Affleck a chance, but I'm not really expecting much from him as an actor. Personally I think there are dozens of more suitable actors out there for the role, but i appreciate the directing and writing input he'll bring to the movie.

If you're excited then more power to you I guess.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #68
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

I wouldn't say I'm "excited" yet. Just cautiously optimistic. Was Affleck the best choice for Batman? He wouldn't have been my choice but I do believe he is a good actor and he was my choice to direct a solo Batman movie (something that seems likely to happen in the future) so I think that this could be good. However, there are still a lot of questions about the movie so I don't want to jump the gun and declare this thing to be the next Avengers.

Also, we don't know 100% that he's being portrayed as tired and weary. Perhaps he's just going to be portrayed as a seasoned veteran. At this point, all we really have are rumors. And even if he was portrayed as old and weary initially, it's possible that could change with script rewrites.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #69
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old, tired and weary can mean so many things. If there's anything I cannot understand is that people dislike it before actually seeing what Snyder's vision is. For Nolan, Bruce Wayne suffered physical and emotional trauma so much so that he almost lost the motivation and desire to live. Batman was literally a pit that Wayne fell into, and that set him up for redemption. For what Nolan was trying to accomplish, this makes sense.

Old, tired, and weary in Snyder's case could mean X years of crime-fighting only to realize that it gets worse. You can't honestly tell me that Batman is going to continually be in top-flight shape as he takes on Gotham's underworld. Hence, the whole hyperviolent stance doesn't work so well. Moreover, if he's the lonely character, then we won't see as much emotional trauma, but he'll most likely have suffered physical trauma.

Miller's All Star run is absolute garbage to derive inspiration from. Miller's concept of Batman is absolutely ridiculous, I won't say what my Batman is, but it's definitely not the kind of guy that just goes off and abuse/alienate innocents. Having said that, his violent and cruel Batman misses the point of the core ideas behind Batman.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 PM   #70
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
In addition, you also have the issue that Joaquin Phoenix may not even want to do a blockbuster film. The funny thing is that despite that issue, people are getting a bit hyped up at the potential for Phoenix to play Luthor.
I blame the Variety article. Otherwise I would just be treating this as another BS rumour, but the fact that it was in one of the big trades gives it more legitimacy.

It's clear WB is pursuing Phoenix for the part. Whether he takes it is another matter entirely, but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point.

Not to get too far off-topic, but I have to ask regarding Ben Affleck as Batman: Do you guys believe this was a studio choice overruling Snyder, was Affleck Snyder's #1 choice for the role, or (most likely) do you think Snyder liked Affleck but was also feeling pressure from the studio?

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #71
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
I blame the Variety article. Otherwise I would just be treating this as another BS rumour, but the fact that it was in one of the big trades gives it more legitimacy.

It's clear WB is pursuing Phoenix for the part. Whether he takes it is another matter entirely, but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point.

Not to get too far off-topic, but I have to ask regarding Ben Affleck as Batman: Do you guys believe this was a studio choice overruling Snyder, was Affleck Snyder's #1 choice for the role, or (most likely) do you think Snyder liked Affleck but was also feeling pressure from the studio?
I agree. I wouldn't even have thought JP would be interested in this if it weren't for the article from Variety. At least this confirms that WB is looking for someone of his caliber, which I think is a good thing even if he says no.

As for Affleck, I can't forget WB was eyeing him to direct something CBM related years ago when the TDKT was still going strong. I don't want to think they pushed Affleck on Snyder, but I can't believe their suggestion didn't play a part in him getting the role to begin with.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #72
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
Old, tired and weary can mean so many things. If there's anything I cannot understand is that people dislike it before actually seeing what Snyder's vision is. For Nolan, Bruce Wayne suffered physical and emotional trauma so much so that he almost lost the motivation and desire to live. Batman was literally a pit that Wayne fell into, and that set him up for redemption. For what Nolan was trying to accomplish, this makes sense.

Old, tired, and weary in Snyder's case could mean X years of crime-fighting only to realize that it gets worse. You can't honestly tell me that Batman is going to continually be in top-flight shape as he takes on Gotham's underworld. Hence, the whole hyperviolent stance doesn't work so well. Moreover, if he's the lonely character, then we won't see as much emotional trauma, but he'll most likely have suffered physical trauma.

Miller's All Star run is absolute garbage to derive inspiration from. Miller's concept of Batman is absolutely ridiculous, I won't say what my Batman is, but it's definitely not the kind of guy that just goes off and abuse/alienate innocents. Having said that, his violent and cruel Batman misses the point of the core ideas behind Batman.
I know it's terrible. That's why I said I'd rather it than another tired old and weary Batman, because that would at least be different from Nolan's tired and weary Batman.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:49 AM   #73
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
From AMC's John Campea:

"TEAM AMASIAN wasn't trying to be deceptive at all. They just jumped the gun and started using the wrong terminology... like "confirmed". It's not confirmed. They are not professional movie bloggers and simply made a rookie mistake. As a result, for now we've set the video they recorded as "private"."

Blah....blah....blah......sigh

Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #74
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post

Joaquins bro in law is Casey Affleck and he is close to Ben as well. That may be the deciding factor to get him on board this film.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 AM   #75
-Nam rorriM-
Eater of toasties

Regarding Phoenix and his fear of big budget films, he'd be a fool not to, despite his reluctance, this franchise could be beneficial for any actor, they ain't gonna use lex for the once only. I'd like to think he'd be smart and show interest rather than shy away. His career is littered with a couple of big budgets ( gladiator ) so who knows really

Besides this is a fresh look at lex and judging Joaquin's acting style, it's too tempting to resist. Plus he can always by 30ft fences with his lex money, and dc could entice him out every time they need to film. With borrows filled with money....

Closed Thread