The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #76
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Default Re: Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

I don't think Phoenix gives a crap about career path.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #77
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I don't think Phoenix gives a crap about career path.
Yep. He's made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion he gladly ignores the fame and attention when he can. He simply wants to enjoy his work and be left alone.

We're talking about the same guy who shook his head in disgust when his name was announced for a Best Actor nomination:

Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #78
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Yep. He's made it abundantly clear on more than one occasion he gladly ignores the fame and attention when he can. He simply wants to enjoy his work and be left alone.

We're talking about the same guy who shook his head in disgust when his name was announced for a Best Actor nomination:

Then why did he attend?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #79
shauner111
Side-Kick

I doubt that he would take this, which is disappointing me beyond belief. Joaquin really doesn't care about fame. He's like the real Johnny Depp lol. Meaning i dont trust Depp when he says he doesnt watch his movies or tries to come off like he doesn't care about the fame yet he constantly stars in movies with horrible scripts/directing. Massive blockbusters that beg for attention. Joaquin simply doesn't give a ****.

He attends, probably because his name would be mud during oscar season each year. It would give him a bad name in the business.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #80
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:

Heh. He just went up in my estimations.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #81
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nam rorriM- View Post
Regarding Phoenix and his fear of big budget films, he'd be a fool not to, despite his reluctance, this franchise could be beneficial for any actor, they ain't gonna use lex for the once only. I'd like to think he'd be smart and show interest rather than shy away. His career is littered with a couple of big budgets ( gladiator ) so who knows really

Besides this is a fresh look at lex and judging Joaquin's acting style, it's too tempting to resist. Plus he can always by 30ft fences with his lex money, and dc could entice him out every time they need to film. With borrows filled with money....
If you tell Phoenix that, chances are he's probably gonna be like "dude, I couldn't possibly care less." He's one of the few actors that take films seriously as a high form of art, and BvS/Lex Luthor comes from a certain medium of art that he may not think highly of. I also doubt that money or security is a big deal to him.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #82
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

Quote:

Think he's doing that for laughs? That's what it comes across to me as...

Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #83
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:

Lol.

I could also see him as Sinestro...but I doubt he'd ever do that, either.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #84
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Then why did he attend?
Lol I was just going to say that...why was he even there?

He could snub them like Anthony Hopkins... he hates the Oscars and Oscar season.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #85
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Then why did he attend?
That is exactly why I really couldn't care less if he takes the role or not. He just comes off as a complete dick, and you CANNOT be that way when it comes to CB/CBM fans. That's one demographic you DO NOT want to piss off.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 01-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #86
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
That is exactly why I really couldn't care less if he takes the role or not. He just comes off as a complete dick, and you CANNOT be that way when it comes to CB/CBM fans. That's one demographic you DO NOT want to piss off.
To be fair, when are CBM fans ever not pissed off? Even with something so simple and mundane as Affleck being cast led to people flailing their arms, despite the guy's generally nice personality.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #87
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
To be fair, when are CBM fans ever not pissed off? Even with something so simple and mundane as Affleck being cast led to people flailing their arms, despite the guy's generally nice personality.
I'm not talking about a simple casting though. Say he does get cast and he is a part of this franchise. They would most likely ask him to be a part of ComiCon or some of the other Comic conventions. If someone asks him a question that he doesn't like, and he says something douchey or whatever, he's going to piss off a lot of people and it would become personal in a sense. I'm not saying he would do anything like that. I'm just saying he sure seems like the type that would.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #88
regwec
Shakespearo

Bale is a renowned ass, but he got by through guile and evasion.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #89
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not talking about a simple casting though. Say he does get cast and he is a part of this franchise. They would most likely ask him to be a part of ComiCon or some of the other Comic conventions. If someone asks him a question that he doesn't like, and he says something douchey or whatever, he's going to piss off a lot of people and it would become personal in a sense. I'm not saying he would do anything like that. I'm just saying he sure seems like the type that would.
They should have him avoid all Cons and interviews. Just to keep Luthor mysterious and have an "aura" around him. Affleck and company are enough to sell the film.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #90
green

I actually don't want Phoenix in the role honestly. It has nothing to do with his acting abilities. Id rather an actor who was excited about it and cared about the character to have the role than someone who acts like movies like this are beneath him. I find him to be a pretentious ass most of the time.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #91
Rowsdower!
THE WALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Bale is a renowned ass, but he got by through guile and evasion.
Yeah well, that "ass" was the only member of the TDKR cast to visit victims of the Aurora shooting in the hospital.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #92
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Then why did he attend?
I think Phoenix is probably like a lot of people. He doesn't like overt attention, which he's been quite candid about, but he probably also likes being recognized for his work and achievement. Just because one comes with the other doesn't mean he doesn't want to be acknowledged at all. He also seems like a very shy person, which he's also been quite candid about, so I bet the head nod was more of a bashful response to the attention.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
I actually don't want Phoenix in the role honestly. It has nothing to do with his acting abilities. Id rather an actor who was excited about it and cared about the character to have the role than someone who acts like movies like this are beneath him. I find him to be a pretentious ass most of the time.
This is how I feel. I don't think he has the guile and evasiveness of Bale. You can listen to JP interviews and know that.

I would prefer an actor to play Lex who actually is excited about playing Lex Luthor. I mean...it's Lex friggin' Luthor, so the actor should be excited by that and what he can do with the character. I know JP can and will do a good job if he decides to take it, but I would prefer someone who can and will do a good job, and is excited by the proposition. Not someone just doing it for a paycheck. I don't think that's too much to ask as a fan.

I also would like someone who isn't going to be a dick to fans. I don't think that's asking a lot either.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #93
StarLord
Blood Eagle

Quote:
Then why did he attend?
He's mentioned a few times that he likes to go to support the film and his fellow cast mates, but he doesn't think something as diverse as acting should have awards.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #94
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

We gonna act like Phoenix would take the role of Lex Luthor if he wasn't excited about it?

Old 01-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #95
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:

For the first time...maybe because of the hair or his expression...I just might have seen a perfect Lex in him...I may have to take back everything I said yesterday.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #96
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I think Phoenix is probably like a lot of people. He doesn't like overt attention, which he's been quite candid about, but he probably also likes being recognized for his work and achievement. Just because one comes with the other doesn't mean he doesn't want to be acknowledged at all. He also seems like a very shy person, which he's also been quite candid about, so I bet the head nod was more of a bashful response to the attention.

This is how I feel. I don't think he has the guile and evasiveness of Bale. You can listen to JP interviews and know that.

I would prefer an actor to play Lex who actually is excited about playing Lex Luthor. I mean...it's Lex friggin' Luthor, so the actor should be excited by that and what he can do with the character. I know JP can and will do a good job if he decides to take it, but I would prefer someone who can and will do a good job, and is excited by the proposition. Not someone just doing it for a paycheck. I don't think that's too much to ask as a fan.

I also would like someone who isn't going to be a dick to fans. I don't think that's asking a lot either.
If he were to take the role, I highly doubt he would not give it his all considering how seriously he takes his roles.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #97
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH.

You really think he gives a damn? lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
You finally made me laugh you old rapscallion you.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #98
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguy22 View Post
If he were to take the role, I highly doubt he would not give it his all considering how seriously he takes his roles.
Again, I don't think he wouldn't give it his all. From all appearances he seems to take his craft very seriously, so I don't think he'd "phone it in". My point is I want someone who is genuinely excited about playing Lex Luthor. I want someone who feels passion for the role and is excited to play it. Just because Phoenix is good at as job doesn't necessarily mean he'll like playing Lex Luthor.

I'm also not saying he can't be excited.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #99
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
dude, he has issues with fame. the guy has been through some ****. psychologically speaking the guy is pretty normal given the things that he's gone through. his family was in a cult when he was a kid, they happen to be missionaries so him and the rest of kin were always uprooted, and his brother died in his arms. give the guy a break.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #100
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
Genius. I can't unsee it now.
thanks.

Closed Thread