The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #101
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Default Re: Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Again, I don't think he wouldn't give it his all. From all appearances he seems to take his craft very seriously, so I don't think he'd "phone it in". My point is I want someone who is genuinely excited about playing Lex Luthor. I want someone who feels passion for the role and is excited to play it. Just because Phoenix is good at as job doesn't necessarily mean he'll like playing Lex Luthor.

I'm also not saying he can't be excited.
Totally understand what you're saying. I see it a little bit like red skull in the Captain America movie. Hugo did not seem to be excited about the role, but I thought he did a fairly good job. I personally think that Phoenix is the superior actor, so I think we would get one of the best villain performances in a DC/comics movie (rivaling the two jokers of course) and the worst a solid, well executed acting job.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #102
golfguy22
Side-Kick

*with the exception of the two jokers of course or darn close

Old 01-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #103
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguy22 View Post
Totally understand what you're saying. I see it a little bit like red skull in the Captain America movie. Hugo did not seem to be excited about the role, but I thought he did a fairly good job. I personally think that Phoenix is the superior actor, so I think we would get one of the best villain performances in a DC/comics movie (rivaling the two jokers of course) and the worst a solid, well executed acting job.
That's a good analogy and Weaving is exactly what I mean about someone not being excited, but still doing a good job. I think Weaving would have done an even better job in CA if he was genuinely excited, but again he wasn't bad at all because he's a good actor. If Phoenix were to take the role that's how I foresee it with him as well. Plus like I said...I think the fandom would overwhelm him.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #104
The Watchman
Balls McGee

Regardless of this being a CBM we are still talking about Lex Luthor. I don't see any actor above a role like that. One of the oldest and most iconic villains in fiction. Gene Hackman, Kevin Spacey (though both campy - still acclaimed actors) same with Joker Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger. Phoenix is a good actor, definitely an odd bird but he is in no way any better than anyone previously mentioned.

I just blue myself
Old 01-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #105
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Regardless of this being a CBM we are still talking about Lex Luthor. I don't see any actor above a role like that. One of the oldest and most iconic villains in fiction. Gene Hackman, Kevin Spacey (though both campy - still acclaimed actors) same with Joker Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger. Phoenix is a good actor, definitely an odd bird but he is in no way any better than anyone previously mentioned.
I never made the suggestion that he was if that's what you're implying (I apologize if not). After re-watching 89 joker the other day, I was not as impressed as I thought I remembered. Granted, he still handed in a fantastic performance, but his performance is spoken about so fondly mostly because of nostalgia and his name. Hackman and Spacey were also good, but did not blow me out of the water (probably because they were written as camp-fests and they wrote Hackman to be completely nonthreatening). Both played their respectful roles as they were imagined in the script, the problem being that the actual written character was somewhat cheesy. I definitely think Phoenix, for the immense talent that he is, is more than capable of doing a great job given the character is solid. To suggest otherwise, especially after seeing some of his performances, is somewhat biased. Even though I think there are other possible options for actors, it is hard for me to say that he does not have a memorable performance in his belt.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #106
The Watchman
Balls McGee

I wasn't responding to anyone specifically, just throwing out a general statement because people seem to think Phoenix is above CBMs and maybe he THINKS he is, but he certainly is not.

I just blue myself
Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #107
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
No one is saying he is above the role, but to suggest he won't do a good job because he seems like he won't show any passion for the character is wrong. Most actors are not passionate or familiar with the source material.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #108
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
I wasn't responding to anyone specifically, just throwing out a general statement because people seem to think Phoenix is above CBMs and maybe he THINKS he is, but he certainly is not.
This is true.

But if he ends up passing on the role, it also doesn't mean he is above the material. He simply wants to make other stuff.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #109
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
dude, he has issues with fame. the guy has been through some ****. psychologically speaking the guy is pretty normal given the things that he's gone through. his family was in a cult when he was a kid, they happen to be missionaries so him and the rest of kin were always uprooted, and his brother died in his arms. give the guy a break.
Wow. Forget Lex, where's the movie about him? Lol.

Phoenix FTW.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 01-08-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #110
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

We all want the actors in these type of films to love the source material as much as we do, but sometimes you can't have it all. To question their professionalism is wrong imo. This is still their job...To act. Not to necessarily love the material.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #111
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sorry, then! I happen to agree with you then. To suggest that one form of film is superior to another is really ignorant,, especially if you consider yourself to be "above" a genre. If anything, CBMs are the most popular of hollywood productions as of late. They great thing about them is that they are very versatile and have great literature to draw from. If anything, the ways in which they can improve makes them even more appealing. It's only a matter of time before they are taken seriously as an art form (regardless of how you feel about tdk, the film is the proof), so why not take the chance to lead the charge?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #112
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Dicaprio and DDL are certainly above cbms.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #113
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Have you seen Gangs of New York? That movie all about sums up that they are not above CBMs. Don't get me wrong, it was not a bad movie, but did it have its corny, cheesy moments (thinking the marching and fighting at the beginning, more specifically).

Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #114
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Have you seen Gangs of New York? That movie all about sums up that they are not above CBMs. Don't get me wrong, it was not a bad movie, but did it have its corny, cheesy moments (thinking the marching and fighting at the beginning, more specifically).
Why the hell are you bringing up a film from 10 years ago? Both of them don't need to do a comicbook film to stay relevant and to continue their successful careers.

3 time oscar winner DDL needs a cbm.

Only in the mind of fanboys.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #115
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Jackson View Post
Why the hell are you bringing up a film from 10 years ago? Both of them don't need to do a comicbook film to stay relevant and to continue their successful careers.

3 time oscar winner DDL needs a cbm.

Only in the mind of fanboys.
WOAH I was poking fun, relax. But at that same time, you would do a CBM because its an experience only a few have had and also a memorable way to carry on your legacy. If you have kids, even better as most of these guys don't have movies their children would want to watch (think Russell Crowe). And lastly, just look at your avatar lol. If you enjoy acting and are already famous as heck, I see no reason to NOT do one.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #116
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
WOAH I was poking fun, relax. But at that same time, you would do a CBM because its an experience only a few have had and also a memorable way to carry on your legacy. If you have kids, even better as most of these guys don't have movies their children would want to watch (think Russell Crowe). And lastly, just look at your avatar lol. If you enjoy acting and are already famous as heck, I see no reason to NOT do one.
I'm not above cbms. I love them.

But we have to accept that not every great actor necessarily does.

I would give eveeeerything to see Leo and DDL in a cbm, but we have to be honest. Ain't never gonna happen. And that is ok.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #117
golfguy22
Side-Kick

And never did I say they HAD to do one to revive a career. These guys are well establish and could retire today and be some of the more successful actors in history.

On the bright side, this is the first time I have been called a fanboy, so I finally get my nerdpass! Been a closet geek for far to long. I'll wear it proudly .

Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #118
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm not above cbms. I love them.

But we have to accept that not every great actor necessarily does.

I would give eveeeerything to see Leo and DDL in a cbm, but we have to be honest. Ain't never gonna happen. And that is ok.
O absolutely. I can totally understand that. But at the same time I would never say its beneath them...they're more drawn to dramatic roles anyways, and especially DDL

Old 01-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #119
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
And never did I say they HAD to do one to revive a career. These guys are well establish and could retire today and be some of the more successful actors in history.

On the bright side, this is the first time I have been called a fanboy, so I finally get my nerdpass! Been a closet geek for far to long. I'll wear it proudly .
But you did say they weren't above them...which they are.

They are one of the few actors in the business who are. They just don't need them.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #120
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Wow. Forget Lex, where's the movie about him? Lol.

Phoenix FTW.

seriously. when i was younger i was into watching films by trail blazing actors liked brando and dean, and later jp's brother, river and they lived some tough lives. apparently, a part from being a cult, there some abuse in those children of god cults. this is him calling 911 when river was dying.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for jp.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #121
golfguy22
Side-Kick

Quote:
But you did say they weren't above them...which they are.

They are one of the few actors in the business who are. They just don't need them.
Lol, I see what you mean. It's not like these are made-for-tv movies, though. I get that these actors are established and only pick to star in the "greatest of movies/roles", but you cannot tell me that some CBM haven't had some iconic, well-written characters. Heath's joker should be proof that even a CBM has the potential for Leo-level (or, if the universe be willing, DDL-level ) characters.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #122
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Lol, I see what you mean. It's not like these are made-for-tv movies, though. I get that these actors are established and only pick to star in the "greatest of movies/roles", but you cannot tell me that some CBM haven't had some iconic, well-written characters. Heath's joker should be proof that even a CBM has the potential for Leo-level (or, if the universe be willing, DDL-level ) characters.
Absolutely agree.

DDL passed on Batman Begins, but loved The Dark Knight.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #123
regwec
Shakespearo

Did he?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #124
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Michael Caine let it slip that DDL was in talks for Batman Begins.

Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #125
StarLord
Blood Eagle.

Now we're posting videos of Joaquin calling 911 about his dying brother?!

Have some decorum, please.

Closed Thread