The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #301
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: All Hail the King

Killian was revealed to be the real Mandarin in the movie. Whether you like it or not.

Now it's being revealed that there is another Mandarin, who Killian based himself on.

But HE wasn't in the movie.

Both the imposter Batman and Batman were in the same movie and it was firmly established who was who.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #302
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
He's not. He was actually very much forgotten if not for people who are still fans of the 80s/90s comics. But even lots of us were never big fans. He was just a villain. But it happens with every movie. Wait till you see the DIEHARD Baron von Strucker fans pop out of the woodwork in AOU
Mandarin appeared in Joe Casey's Iron Man - Enter the Mandarin in 2007.

Mandarin had been used in a long running arc in Franction's Invincible Iron Man in which he had Tony as a prisoner and used him and Ezekiel Stane build giant killer robots. It took Tony, Stane, some Chinese superheroes and various Iron Man villains to defeat him.

Right now in the comics they are dealing with the fallout from that with Mandarin city and his rings falling into the hands of various people.

So Mandarin is hardly some distantly forgotten villain. I don't know many comic Iron Man fans who don't consider Mandarin one of Tony's major villains. If Mandarin wasn't a important Iron Man villain then why did Jon Favreau about the character in the first two Iron Man films and why did they use his name/image in the third movie?

Last edited by chamber-music; 02-04-2014 at 12:59 PM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #303
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
So why was Thor all miserable because he couldn't get back to earth without the bifrost, if there was other ways to get back to Earth?
Because the bifrost is the only way Thor knows how to get to Earth. Loki never told him about the other ways and Thor doesn't use dark energy.

You really need to learn what a retcon is.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #304
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Funny story

they didn't claim they were Batman

they dressed up as him and shot guns
SEMANTICS SEMANTIC SEMANTICS SEMANTICS

They were impersonating Batman. End of story. If not they wouldn't have dressed up like him and tried to fight crime. That was the whole point of the Joker torturing the one guy asking if he really was Batman

Quote:
does that mean in the prologue since everyone wore clown masks there's various Joker's?
Thanks for making my point

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #305
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
probably wouldn't hurt to actually watch the films either.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #306
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
SEMANTICS SEMANTIC SEMANTICS SEMANTICS

They were impersonating Batman. End of story. If not they wouldn't have dressed up like him and tried to fight crime. That was the whole point of the Joker torturing the one guy asking if he really was Batman

Thanks for making my point
NOT SEMANTICS IF YOU'RE USING IT FOR YOUR ARGUMENT NOT SEMANTICS IF YOU'RE USING IT FOR YOUR ARGUMENT NOT SEMANTICS IF YOU'RE USING IT FOR YOUR ARGUMENT NOT SEMANTICS IF YOU'RE USING IT FOR YOUR ARGUMENT

That there's supposed to be One Mandarin, IE Killian, and Marvel is doing this to avoid (non-existant) collateral damage? Ok.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #307
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I've been asking that for several pages now but no one seems to have an answer. Funny, innit?
I asked my Marvel friends as soon as I left the IM3 press screening and they all refused to talk about it. From what I know about how they operate they have offshoot and contingency plans for all their open ended stories they can use/if when they choose to

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #308
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I dont understand something, was there a real Mandarin before Killian's decoy?

*This* much you can be sure of: there wasn't a real Mandarin during IM1-IM3. If there was, he would've made himself known to Tony Stark and certainly to Killian and Trevor, for daring to impersonate him.

I'm thinking the Real Mandarin might be supernatural Mandarin, like in the animated Iron Man DVD from a few years back. If that turns out to be the case, it might actually work out better saving him for Phase 3 or 4, post-Doctor Strange.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #309
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Killian was revealed to be the real Mandarin in the movie. Whether you like it or not.
You didn't understand that scene. Whether you like it or not.

Thankfully, you're in the minority

Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #310
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
I can see the Marketing now lol

"IRON MAN 4...THE MANDARIN"

*General Audience Member*

''Didn't they use him in Iron Man 3?"

*Marvel*

"But this is the Real Mandarin!"

"so why use the Mandarin in the last movie if he was a fake?"

*Marvel*

"He wasn't a fake he was just a Mandarin who isn't the real mandarin"

"How many Mandarins are there?"

*Marvel*

There is the fake Mandarin that people thought was the real Mandarin, that was Trevor, then we revealed that Killian is the real Mandarin behind the whole plot of Iron Man 3. Now we have another Mandarin who was thought to be a legendary character that Killian patterned his life after.

"Why not just do this legendary Mandarin character first?"

*Marvel*

"Well we tried something new and fans hated it so now were back peddling to fix it and give them a real Mandarin while also trying not to undermine the Iron Man 3 story, so we have two Mandarins and a fake one"

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-04-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #311
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
*This* much you can be sure of: there wasn't a real Mandarin during IM1-IM3. If there was, he would've made himself known to Tony Stark and certainly to Killian and Trevor, for daring to impersonate him.

I'm thinking the Real Mandarin might be supernatural Mandarin, like in the animated Iron Man DVD from a few years back. If that turns out to be the case, it might actually work out better saving him for Phase 3 or 4, post-Doctor Strange.
There. This. That's what I want to talk about. This One-Shot is the FIRST time we've gotten a hint at the mystical (non alien) side of the MCU and NO ONE wants to talk about it haha

Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #312
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:

"so why use the Mandarin in the last movie if he was a fake?"

*Marvel*

"He wasn't a fake he was just one of many Mandarins"

"How many Mandarins are there?"

*Marvel*

There is the fake Mandarin that people thought was the real Mandarin, that was Trevor, then we revealed that Killian is the real Mandarin behind the whole plot of Iron Man 3. Now we have another Mandarin who was thought to be a legendary character that Killian patterned his life after.

"Why not just do this legendary Mandarin character first?"

*Marvel*

"Well we tried something new and fans hated it so now were back peddling to fix it and give them a real Mandarin while also trying not to undermine the Iron Man 3 story, so we have two Mandarins and a fake one"
LOL

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #313
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I liked the
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Justin Hammer cameo

Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #314
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:

Now it's being revealed that there is another Mandarin, who Killian based himself on.

But HE wasn't in the movie.

Both the imposter Batman and Batman were in the same movie and it was firmly established who was who.
Woah woah woah, pump your brakes kid.

When Iron Man 3 came out, before you changed your username, YOU and a whole lot of other people came on here saying how Killian was NOT the Mandarin, how Trevor was the Mandarin and how they made him into a joke. That Killian wasn't the Mandarin because he didn't have the rings, wasn't asian, didn't have magical powers and other stuff.

But now that this one shot comes out, all of a sudden you acknowledge that he's the Mandarin?

Smh

Iron Man will return
Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #315
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Because the bifrost is the only way Thor knows how to get to Earth. Loki never told him about the other ways and Thor doesn't use dark energy.

The ending of Thor had great emphasis that he couldn't get back to earth, the next movie established he could all along, so it undermines the impact of the ending to Thor.

Same thing applies to Tony in Iron Man 2 having to make a new element for his arc because he can't remove it, only to make it that he can remove it in the next movie, it undermines the plot to the previous movie.

Perhaps not retcons, but certainly developments that undermine plot points of previous movies.

Quote:

When Iron Man 3 came out, before you changed your username, YOU and a whole lot of other people came on here saying how Killian was NOT the Mandarin, how Trevor was the Mandarin and how they made him into a joke. That Killian wasn't the Mandarin because he didn't have the rings, wasn't asian, didn't have magical powers and other stuff.

But now that this one shot comes out, all of a sudden you acknowledge that he's the Mandarin?

Smh
Actually what I said was that he wasn't the Mandarin they advertised as being the Mandarin in the movie. Which is true, they advertised Kingsley as the Mandarin

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #316
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
I asked my Marvel friends as soon as I left the IM3 press screening and they all refused to talk about it. From what I know about how they operate they have offshoot and contingency plans for all their open ended stories they can use/if when they choose to
Of course they do. You don't plan out a series of films years in advance by throwing darts at a board the morning production begins.

Unless you're working on the Fantastic Four reboot.

- Ryōkan

Old 02-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #317
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:

Smh
Wait, wait.. so you're saying the guy claiming all that these non-retconned things in Marvel movies were retcons, actually just now retconned his understanding of Iron Man 3 to try to get his point across?

Oh. My. God.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #318
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
There. This. That's what I want to talk about. This One-Shot is the FIRST time we've gotten a hint at the mystical (non alien) side of the MCU and NO ONE wants to talk about it haha
I do. Anything is better than this other drivel.

Quote:

When Iron Man 3 came out, before you changed your username,
What was his username before?

Quote:
Wait, wait.. so you're saying the guy claiming all that these non-retconned things in Marvel movies were retcons, actually just now retconned his understanding of Iron Man 3 to try to get his point across?

Oh. My. God.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
LMAO waht a twist!

- Ryōkan

Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #319
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
I do. Anything is better than this other drivel.
Haha it's hilarious. Like listening to a kid try to explain why vegetables are bad for you in an effort to get out of eating them.

Anyway, back to normal conversation: I don't think they'll use the Mandarin in IM4. I just don't. Wouldn't make sense for them to introduce him in a one-shot and then them him the focal point of a feature film. I'd siding with the person who mentioned he'll have something to do with the new Netflix series

Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #320
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haha it's hilarious. Like listening to a kid try to explain why vegetables are bad for you in an effort to get out of eating them.

Anyway, back to normal conversation: I don't think they'll use the Mandarin in IM4. I just don't. Wouldn't make sense for them to introduce him in a one-shot and then them him the focal point of a feature film. I'd siding with the person who mentioned he'll have something to do with the new Netflix series
I suppose it would be easy enough to use him with Iron Fist, maybe as an amalgamation with or substitution for Master Khan. Or as a foil for the entire Defenders once that is off the ground.

- Ryōkan

Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #321
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
What was his username before?
I can't remember, but it was him alright, had the x-men>avengers thing on his sig and complained about everything Marvel, especially Marvel Studios, not named X-Men.

Lmao at the vegetables analogy!

Iron Man will return
Old 02-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #322
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

So basically this is how things stand for the Mandarin in the Iron Man franchise

Aldrich Killian created a Mandarin character in his think tank, he hired Trevor to pretend to be this Mandarin and used him a a terrorist figurehead.

Meanwhile Killian was the mastermind behind the whole plot of Iron Man 3 and informed Stark that he was the actual Mandarin, the leader and orchestrator of this whole plan all along.

Now we have another Mandarin, this one is a legendary evil figure who is in fact real and not just a legend

No matter what way you slice it that is a convoluted plot of multiple mandarins

Old 02-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #323
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
I suppose it would be easy enough to use him with Iron Fist, maybe as an amalgamation with or substitution for Master Khan. Or as a foil for the entire Defenders once that is off the ground.
I honestly can't remember reading a story with Master Khan so for me that would be a-okay. The MCU needs some more long term villains in the vein of Loki. Ones that last more than one movie/story. if they use these guys properly you could have Thanos as the big space villain, Loki as the interdementional one and Mandarin as the Earth based one.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #324
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
So basically this is how things stand for the Mandarin in the Iron Man franchise

Aldrich Killian created a Mandarin character in his think tank, he hired Trevor to pretend to be this Mandarin and used him a a terrorist figurehead.

Meanwhile Killian was the mastermind behind the whole plot of Iron Man 3 and informed Stark that he was the actual Mandarin, the leader and orchestrator of this whole plan all along.

Now we have another Mandarin, this one is a legendary evil figure who is in fact real and not just a legend

No matter what way you slice it that is a convoluted plot of multiple mandarins
His think tank created the Mandarin persona that Trevor used. The aesthetics of his personification. They didn't create the Mandarin person, who has been established as an ancient Chinese warlord. Killian made a Halloween costume and a fan film based on a person they thought was dead. End of

Old 02-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #325
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can't remember, but it was him alright, had the x-men>avengers thing on his sig and complained about everything Marvel, especially Marvel Studios, not named X-Men.
droidwarrior? Or something along the lines of that.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is online now   Reply With Quote