The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #101
SpideyFan866
Banned User

Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
It's not a copout if you've watched all three iron man movies. Killian/Trevor stole the mandarin guise to use for his personal stuff. Doesn't change that the ten rings and the mandarin are real entities, that's been established in the first two movies.

When Killian says "I'm the Mandarin!" it's not him saying "I'm the real leader of the ten rings!" it's him saying "You wanted to know who was behind all this, it's me." I really wish they would have left that line out. It's unnecessarily confusing.
Agreed. Especially about the Killian line.

Without that, it would've been clearer where this was going.

But yeah, I made the observation that they never explained Slattery and Killian's connection to the Ten Rings, if any. So, it was always obvious to me that either A) Slattery IS the real Mandarin (he's not) or B) The real Mandarin, and The Ten Rings, are still out there (what actually happened.

This also reinforces my theory that Shane Black didn't really want to use The Mandarin, so they created this scenario, which allowed him to do his own thing while leaving it open for the Real Mandarin and The Ten Rings (possibly with the magical rings) to appear down the line.

Oh, and uh..... NIGHTHAWK!

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 02-04-2014 at 09:08 AM.
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #102
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphix View Post
And he also looked a little like him at the beginning of the film. A bit of foreshadowing with the longer hair.
He looked Chinese?

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #103
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Agreed. Especially about the Killian line.

Without that, it would've been clearer where this was going.

But yeah, I made the observation that they never explained Slattery and Killian's connection to the Ten Rings, if any. So, it was always obvious to me that either A) Slattery IS the real Mandarin (he's not) or B) The real Mandarin, and The Ten Rings, are still out there (what actually happened.

This also reinforces my theory that Shane Black didn't really want to use The Mandarin, so they created this scenario, which allowed him to do his own thing while leaving it open for the Real Mandarin and The Ten Rings (possibly with the magical rings) to appear down the line.

Oh, and uh..... NIGHTHAWK!
Dude, Nighthawk fighting TERRY TATE

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #104
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
And how is the Mandarin supposed to fight?

Killian was slicing and hacking away at Tony's armor with his bare hands. The "martial-artist" style of his fighting. Not relying on any bodily protection while fighting Iron Man. Stuff like that.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 02-04-2014 at 09:02 AM.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #105
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
They explain where he and the ten rings were in the one shot. There's your explanation.
Where? I may need to re-watch it.

Quote:
They didn't make him the modern interpretation of the mandarin. Him saying "I'm the Mandarin!" to Tony isn't him saying "I'm really the guy behind the ten rings!" It's him saying "You've been trying to find out who was behind all this and it's me." Granted, they should have left that line out (and the tattoos, for me, were unnecessary) if they didn't want to confuse people who dissect everything about these movies apart
They did. The Mandarin as of now in the comics doesn't wear robes. Last time I checked the current incarnation of the Mandarin is suave business man works in the shadows, owner of Prometheus use the alias Tem Borjigin, Maya Hansen works on the Extremis Virus for him etc. That does sound familiar.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful, everyone screaming for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings...Strings...There are no strings on me"- Ultron

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #106
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

that was great. really funny, answered a question i had after i saw iron man 3 (were the real 10 rings still around after iron man 1), and sam rockwell!

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #107
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Killian sure fought like the Mandarin.

Quote:
Like this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Funny how the finale of IM3 had Killian shirtless fighting and karate chopping Iron Man's armour.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful, everyone screaming for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings...Strings...There are no strings on me"- Ultron

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #108
Orphix
Side-Kick

Quote:
He looked Chinese?
That's not what I'm saying. I was talking about his hair as a subtle way of foreshadowing.

The same way his corporate image suggests the Mandarin. The way he uses subterfuge, misdirection and science to get what he wants.

Orphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #109
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

This is what a fight between them really looks like.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #110
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Hand to hand with karate moves, which was exactly what Killian did

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #111
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Killian was slicing and hacking away at Tony's armor with his bare hands. The "martial-artist" style of his fighting. Not relying on any bodily protection while fighting Iron Man. Stuff like that.
So you're assuming based on the comics right? Or did I miss where we saw the Mandarin fighting in the movie-verse

Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #112
Orphix
Side-Kick

Thumbs up Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

Like this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Funny how the finale of IM3 had Killian shirtless fighting and karate chopping Iron Man's armour.
Agreed...big time!

Orphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #113
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:

Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #114
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Where? I may need to re-watch it.
They were dormant. He said it in the one-shot. Now they've come back to handle the mess Killian and Trevor created.

Quote:
They did. The Mandarin as of now in the comics doesn't wear robes. Last time I checked the current incarnation of the Mandarin is suave business man works in the shadows, owner of Prometheus use the alias Tem Borjigin, Maya Hansen works on the Extremis Virus for him etc. That does sound familiar.
Stop with the comics we're talking about the movies and in the movies we have yet to see what the Mandarin looks like. All we know is he's Chinese.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #115
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
It's not a copout if you've watched all three iron man movies. Killian/Trevor stole the mandarin guise to use for his personal stuff. Doesn't change that the ten rings and the mandarin are real entities, that's been established in the first two movies.

When Killian says "I'm the Mandarin!" it's not him saying "I'm the real leader of the ten rings!" it's him saying "You wanted to know who was behind all this, it's me." I really wish they would have left that line out. It's unnecessarily confusing.
Quote:
They explain where he and the ten rings were in the one shot. There's your explanation.

They didn't make him the modern interpretation of the mandarin. Him saying "I'm the Mandarin!" to Tony isn't him saying "I'm really the guy behind the ten rings!" It's him saying "You've been trying to find out who was behind all this and it's me." Granted, they should have left that line out (and the tattoos, for me, were unnecessary) if they didn't want to confuse people who dissect everything about these movies apart
Quote:
Dude, you're in so much denial

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #116
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Hand to hand with karate moves, which was exactly what Killian did
Everyone who throws karate chops is the Mandarin got it

Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #117
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
So you're assuming based on the comics right? Or did I miss where we saw the Mandarin fighting in the movie-verse

Regardless if it's from the comics or movies, I saw a live-action character fighting like the comic Mandarin and there were already parallels between the two characters so it's not out of the question for me to compare the fighting styles when they are very similar.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #118
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Dude, you're in so much denial
Not really. Maybe you didn't pay enough attention to the storyline. Start with Iron Man 1 and work your way down to the one-shot. That's what I did yesterday before I wrote up my review. AHTK isn't a cop out. It's a naturally progressing continuation to the movie-verse.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #119
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Regardless if it's from the comics or movies, I saw a live-action character fighting like the comic Mandarin and there were already parallels between the two characters so it's not out of the question for me to compare the fighting styles when they are very similar.
Not at all. Understanding and logic are based off of only the current info available. But now that we know there is a living Mandarin in the movie-verse, we don't know how (or even if) he fights. The new information cancels out previous many assumptions.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:15 AM   #120
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:

I have that shirt!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #121
SpideyFan866
Banned User

Quote:
Killian's fighting style in IM3 was acceptable. Perfectly fine for The Mandarin had they chose to have him be it.

However, The Mandarin is typically shown to use several forms of martial arts, which Killian did not.

SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #122
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

I remember when i got insulted by anno domini when i acknowledged the real possibility that the real mandarin was still out there, and that he was whoever was in charge of the 10 rings from iron man 1.

so, feeling pretty good right now lol.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #123
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
They were dormant. He said it in the one-shot. Now they've come back to handle the mess Killian and Trevor created.
What does that mean?

Quote:
Stop with the comics we're talking about the movies and in the movies we have yet to see what the Mandarin looks like. All we know is he's Chinese.
Well you did say they didn't make Killian the modern interpretation of the Mandarin so I used the comics as evidence as to why Killian's portrayal was more in line with the recent incarnations of the Mandarin. And also Mandarin has been specified as half british and half mongol. That blend could literally be from anywhere.

Last edited by TeeKay; 02-04-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #124
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Not at all. Understanding and logic are based off of only the current info available. But now that we know there is a living Mandarin in the movie-verse, we don't know how (or even if) he fights. The new information cancels out previous many assumptions.

Oh lawd...if this Mandarin doesn't fight....Maaaaarveeeeel!

But seriously, I see your point.

Quote:
I have that shirt!

I didn't know it was a shirt, that's awesome.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #125
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Killian's fighting style in IM3 was acceptable. Perfectly fine for The Mandarin had they chose to have him be it.

However, The Mandarin is typically shown to use several forms of martial arts, which Killian did not.

Really all Killian did was hack away at Tony's armor and move around all fast. Yeah, if they ever show the real Mandarin fighting, I expect his way of fighting to be much more intricate and lethal than Killian's. Using different martial-arts forms and such. Oh yeah, not to mention the amplification from the rings.