The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #101
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Some place, Some Where, Next Door
Posts: 15,892
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
It's not a copout if you've watched all three iron man movies. Killian/Trevor stole the mandarin guise to use for his personal stuff. Doesn't change that the ten rings and the mandarin are real entities, that's been established in the first two movies.

When Killian says "I'm the Mandarin!" it's not him saying "I'm the real leader of the ten rings!" it's him saying "You wanted to know who was behind all this, it's me." I really wish they would have left that line out. It's unnecessarily confusing.
Agreed. Especially about the Killian line.

Without that, it would've been clearer where this was going.

But yeah, I made the observation that they never explained Slattery and Killian's connection to the Ten Rings, if any. So, it was always obvious to me that either A) Slattery IS the real Mandarin (he's not) or B) The real Mandarin, and The Ten Rings, are still out there (what actually happened.

This also reinforces my theory that Shane Black didn't really want to use The Mandarin, so they created this scenario, which allowed him to do his own thing while leaving it open for the Real Mandarin and The Ten Rings (possibly with the magical rings) to appear down the line.

Oh, and uh..... NIGHTHAWK!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 02-04-2014 at 08:08 AM.
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #102
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphix View Post
And he also looked a little like him at the beginning of the film. A bit of foreshadowing with the longer hair.
He looked Chinese?

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #103
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Agreed. Especially about the Killian line.

Without that, it would've been clearer where this was going.

But yeah, I made the observation that they never explained Slattery and Killian's connection to the Ten Rings, if any. So, it was always obvious to me that either A) Slattery IS the real Mandarin (he's not) or B) The real Mandarin, and The Ten Rings, are still out there (what actually happened.

This also reinforces my theory that Shane Black didn't really want to use The Mandarin, so they created this scenario, which allowed him to do his own thing while leaving it open for the Real Mandarin and The Ten Rings (possibly with the magical rings) to appear down the line.


Oh, and uh..... NIGHTHAWK!
Dude, Nighthawk fighting TERRY TATE

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #104
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,872
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
And how is the Mandarin supposed to fight?

Killian was slicing and hacking away at Tony's armor with his bare hands. The "martial-artist" style of his fighting. Not relying on any bodily protection while fighting Iron Man. Stuff like that.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Shazam(?), Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 02-04-2014 at 08:02 AM.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #105
TeeKay
Side-Kick
 
TeeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,070
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
They explain where he and the ten rings were in the one shot. There's your explanation.
Where? I may need to re-watch it.

Quote:
They didn't make him the modern interpretation of the mandarin. Him saying "I'm the Mandarin!" to Tony isn't him saying "I'm really the guy behind the ten rings!" It's him saying "You've been trying to find out who was behind all this and it's me." Granted, they should have left that line out (and the tattoos, for me, were unnecessary) if they didn't want to confuse people who dissect everything about these movies apart
They did. The Mandarin as of now in the comics doesn't wear robes. Last time I checked the current incarnation of the Mandarin is suave business man works in the shadows, owner of Prometheus use the alias Tem Borjigin, Maya Hansen works on the Extremis Virus for him etc. That does sound familiar.

__________________
“Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.”Joss Whedon.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #106
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: All Hail the King

that was great. really funny, answered a question i had after i saw iron man 3 (were the real 10 rings still around after iron man 1), and sam rockwell!

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #107
TeeKay
Side-Kick
 
TeeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,070
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Killian sure fought like the Mandarin.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
And how is the Mandarin supposed to fight?
Like this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Funny how the finale of IM3 had Killian shirtless fighting and karate chopping Iron Man's armour.

__________________
“Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.”Joss Whedon.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #108
Orphix
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 116
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
He looked Chinese?
That's not what I'm saying. I was talking about his hair as a subtle way of foreshadowing.

The same way his corporate image suggests the Mandarin. The way he uses subterfuge, misdirection and science to get what he wants.

Orphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #109
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,872
Default Re: All Hail the King

This is what a fight between them really looks like.


__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Shazam(?), Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #110
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,929
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
And how is the Mandarin supposed to fight?
Hand to hand with karate moves, which was exactly what Killian did

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #111
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Killian was slicing and hacking away at Tony's armor with his bare hands. The "martial-artist" style of his fighting. Not relying on any bodily protection while fighting Iron Man. Stuff like that.
So you're assuming based on the comics right? Or did I miss where we saw the Mandarin fighting in the movie-verse

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #112
Orphix
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 116
Thumbs up Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post




Like this:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Funny how the finale of IM3 had Killian shirtless fighting and karate chopping Iron Man's armour.
Agreed...big time!

Orphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #113
TeeKay
Side-Kick
 
TeeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,070
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
This is what a fight between them really looks like.


__________________
“Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.”Joss Whedon.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #114
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Where? I may need to re-watch it.
They were dormant. He said it in the one-shot. Now they've come back to handle the mess Killian and Trevor created.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
They did. The Mandarin as of now in the comics doesn't wear robes. Last time I checked the current incarnation of the Mandarin is suave business man works in the shadows, owner of Prometheus use the alias Tem Borjigin, Maya Hansen works on the Extremis Virus for him etc. That does sound familiar.
Stop with the comics we're talking about the movies and in the movies we have yet to see what the Mandarin looks like. All we know is he's Chinese.

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #115
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,929
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
It's not a copout if you've watched all three iron man movies. Killian/Trevor stole the mandarin guise to use for his personal stuff. Doesn't change that the ten rings and the mandarin are real entities, that's been established in the first two movies.

When Killian says "I'm the Mandarin!" it's not him saying "I'm the real leader of the ten rings!" it's him saying "You wanted to know who was behind all this, it's me." I really wish they would have left that line out. It's unnecessarily confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
They explain where he and the ten rings were in the one shot. There's your explanation.



They didn't make him the modern interpretation of the mandarin. Him saying "I'm the Mandarin!" to Tony isn't him saying "I'm really the guy behind the ten rings!" It's him saying "You've been trying to find out who was behind all this and it's me." Granted, they should have left that line out (and the tattoos, for me, were unnecessary) if they didn't want to confuse people who dissect everything about these movies apart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
And how is the Mandarin supposed to fight?
Dude, you're in so much denial

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #116
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Hand to hand with karate moves, which was exactly what Killian did
Everyone who throws karate chops is the Mandarin got it

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #117
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,872
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
So you're assuming based on the comics right? Or did I miss where we saw the Mandarin fighting in the movie-verse

Regardless if it's from the comics or movies, I saw a live-action character fighting like the comic Mandarin and there were already parallels between the two characters so it's not out of the question for me to compare the fighting styles when they are very similar.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Shazam(?), Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #118
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Dude, you're in so much denial
Not really. Maybe you didn't pay enough attention to the storyline. Start with Iron Man 1 and work your way down to the one-shot. That's what I did yesterday before I wrote up my review. AHTK isn't a cop out. It's a naturally progressing continuation to the movie-verse.

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #119
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Regardless if it's from the comics or movies, I saw a live-action character fighting like the comic Mandarin and there were already parallels between the two characters so it's not out of the question for me to compare the fighting styles when they are very similar.
Not at all. Understanding and logic are based off of only the current info available. But now that we know there is a living Mandarin in the movie-verse, we don't know how (or even if) he fights. The new information cancels out previous many assumptions.

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #120
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
This is what a fight between them really looks like.

I have that shirt!

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #121
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Some place, Some Where, Next Door
Posts: 15,892
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
So you're assuming based on the comics right? Or did I miss where we saw the Mandarin fighting in the movie-verse
Killian's fighting style in IM3 was acceptable. Perfectly fine for The Mandarin had they chose to have him be it.

However, The Mandarin is typically shown to use several forms of martial arts, which Killian did not.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #122
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: All Hail the King

I remember when i got insulted by anno domini when i acknowledged the real possibility that the real mandarin was still out there, and that he was whoever was in charge of the 10 rings from iron man 1.

so, feeling pretty good right now lol.

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #123
TeeKay
Side-Kick
 
TeeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,070
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
They were dormant. He said it in the one-shot. Now they've come back to handle the mess Killian and Trevor created.
What does that mean?

Quote:
Stop with the comics we're talking about the movies and in the movies we have yet to see what the Mandarin looks like. All we know is he's Chinese.
Well you did say they didn't make Killian the modern interpretation of the Mandarin so I used the comics as evidence as to why Killian's portrayal was more in line with the recent incarnations of the Mandarin. And also Mandarin has been specified as half british and half mongol. That blend could literally be from anywhere.

__________________
“Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke.”Joss Whedon.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class

Last edited by TeeKay; 02-04-2014 at 08:21 AM.
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #124
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,872
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Not at all. Understanding and logic are based off of only the current info available. But now that we know there is a living Mandarin in the movie-verse, we don't know how (or even if) he fights. The new information cancels out previous many assumptions.

Oh lawd...if this Mandarin doesn't fight....Maaaaarveeeeel!

But seriously, I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
I have that shirt!

I didn't know it was a shirt, that's awesome.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Shazam(?), Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #125
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,872
Default Re: All Hail the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Killian's fighting style in IM3 was acceptable. Perfectly fine for The Mandarin had they chose to have him be it.

However, The Mandarin is typically shown to use several forms of martial arts, which Killian did not.

Really all Killian did was hack away at Tony's armor and move around all fast. Yeah, if they ever show the real Mandarin fighting, I expect his way of fighting to be much more intricate and lethal than Killian's. Using different martial-arts forms and such. Oh yeah, not to mention the amplification from the rings.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Daredevil, Ant-Man, Fantastic Four
2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America 3, Doctor Strange, X-Men: Apocalypse, Sinister 6, Deadpool, Shazam(?), Gareth Edwards' Star Wars, Warcraft


Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.