Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Microsoft to acquire Minecraft?

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/...ype=blogs&_r=0

Looks like it.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Donut
Side-Kick

Default Re: Microsoft to acquire Minecraft?

I wonder if Microsoft will make Sony, IOS, Android & everything else with Minecraft remove the game if true. Or will they make deals ?

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, I'm pretty curious about this myself. On one hand, this would be a huge move for Microsoft, on the other, look at all the other platforms it is on. Obviously those who bought Minecraft on other platforms can keep the game, but will future owners be able to purchase it? Or would it apply to something like Minecraft 2 being Xbox/Windows exclusive?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

yeah.....wonder how this will affect Minecraft on other platforms. what about Minecraft on the mobile OSs?

most likely, future installments of Minecraft will be Xbox/PC exclusive.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I would imagine that Microsoft would focus a lot on Windows 8 and Windows Phone with Minecraft more than Xbox. Minecraft is already well established on the Xbox brand, but it has no presence on the current Windows platforms due to the general public simply not accepting Windows 8 and Windows Phone. Enticing people with Minecraft - Pocket Edition for Windows Phone while removing it from the iOS and Android app stores and getting it on Windows 8/9 would probably get people to more easily accept those platforms.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I would imagine that Microsoft would focus a lot on Windows 8 and Windows Phone with Minecraft more than Xbox. Minecraft is already well established on the Xbox brand, but it has no presence on the current Windows platforms due to the general public simply not accepting Windows 8 and Windows Phone. Enticing people with Minecraft - Pocket Edition for Windows Phone while removing it from the iOS and Android app stores and getting it on Windows 8/9 would probably get people to more easily accept those platforms.
true.

but the iOS/Android base of players is much larger than the Windows Phone base. that would be undercutting a large base if they made mobile Minecraft exclusive to Windows Phone.

otoh, as you said, making it Windows Phone exclusive would be a strong motivator for Minecraft fans to switch platforms.

also, making future console versions of Minecraft X1 exclusive would be a good move, too, in terms of enticing people to check out the X1. given the current popularity of the game, announcing Minecraft 2 as an "Only on X1" game would be major.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Donut
Side-Kick

I imagine they will just announce a Minecraft Sequel a Microsoft Exclusive & just stop supporting the original game & still make money off of it

Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

holy ****ing ****, I really really really hope this doesn't happen.

1st off, this'll definitely become a system seller for xbone

2nd off, minecraft started off multiplatform, and although it's been exclusive to 360 a year before debuting on ps3, once it did, it was #1 on the store.

PLEASE GOD, I don't want this to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post

the very name "Xbox One" is stupid, personally. There was an Xbox one. It was the original Xbox.
XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post

2nd off, minecraft started off multiplatform, and although it's been exclusive to 360 a year before debuting on ps3, once it did, it was #1 on the store.

Face it. Your precious PS4 is doomed. MS will obtain the lead then wipe the PS4 off the face of the earth. Black suited individuals will storm your house and forcefully remove your lame PS4 from your home, just before they shave an Xbox logo on your dog. Run and hide PS4 zealots, run and hide. The end is nigh

Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:

good.......good.......

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Face it. Your precious PS4 is doomed. MS will obtain the lead then wipe the PS4 off the face of the earth. Black suited individuals will storm your house and forcefully remove your lame PS4 from your home, just before they shave an Xbox logo on your dog. Run and hide PS4 zealots, run and hide. The end is nigh

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

God damn it, Microsoft. Make stuff. Stop buying stuff and cutting your competitor's customers off.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
God damn it, Microsoft. Make stuff. Stop buying stuff and cutting your competitor's customers off.
yeah.....that's the one thing I don't like about this........

they should have bought Minecraft's company before the game went multiplat.

it will be interesting to see how this deal, if it does happen, affects the current edition of Minecraft. not to mention all the mobile players.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
I know you're just messing with me here and even sort of quoting Me2,

however... I have to ask... there is some level of seriousness in your post right? Coz c'mon, if xbone gets minecraft exclusively, that definitely, DEFINITELY (and unfortunately) gives it a ****ing edge

btw... I don't have a dog!!!!!!!!!!! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
good.......good.......
NO NO NO NO!!! this is so ****ing bad, this is so ****ing bad

Quote:

the very name "Xbox One" is stupid, personally. There was an Xbox one. It was the original Xbox.

Last edited by XtremelyBaneful; 09-10-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #15
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I know you're just messing with me here and even sort of quoting Me2,

however... I have to ask... there is some level of seriousness in your post right? Coz c'mon, if xbone gets minecraft exclusively, that definitely, DEFINITELY (and unfortunately) gives it a ****ing edge
For starters MS won't make the game exclusive, they'll let it stay on all the platforms and just make money. Secondly, no one is going to choose the Xbox because it has f'ing Minecraft.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #16
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
The competitors customers can go out and buy an Xbox. Something they should have any way.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #17
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

You buy a franchise and make it exclusive so people buy your hardware. Duh.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #18
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
No company cares about its competitors customers. Thats just how it is. Sony & Microsoft & Nintendo are all guilty of doing this

Old 09-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Bloomberg has revealed more:

- Minecraft creator Markus Persson is the one who went to Microsoft and offered to sell Minecraft to the corporation. Persson reportedly has a really close relationship with Xbox head Phil Spencer and plans on leaving Mojang after the transition into Microsoft.

- Microsoft will not remove the iOS, OS X, Android, and PlayStation versions of the game. The higher ups in Microsoft view Minecraft more along the lines of their Office line of software that should have high quality versions on multiple platforms as opposed to their other IPs like Halo, Fable, Forza, and Gears of War.

- Microsoft is interested because they believe that they can expand the user base of Minecraft and expand the licensing.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #20
Donut
Side-Kick

Interesting

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:

- Minecraft creator Markus Persson is the one who went to Microsoft and offered to sell Minecraft to the corporation. Persson reportedly has a really close relationship with Xbox head Phil Spencer and plans on leaving Mojang after the transition into Microsoft.

- Microsoft will not remove the iOS, OS X, Android, and PlayStation versions of the game. The higher ups in Microsoft view Minecraft more along the lines of their Office line of software that should have high quality versions on multiple platforms as opposed to their other IPs like Halo, Fable, Forza, and Gears of War.

- Microsoft is interested because they believe that they can expand the user base of Minecraft and expand the licensing.
hmmmm......smart move. profit by letting everyone play the game.

I'm sure, though, that the Xbox versions of the game will get a little extra special treatment. it would be a missed opportunity to NOT play up the ties between Minecraft and Xbox, imo.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 09-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
For starters MS won't make the game exclusive, they'll let it stay on all the platforms and just make money. Secondly, no one is going to choose the Xbox because it has f'ing Minecraft.
you don't know that man. if people without a console who love minecraft hear about this they may already have their answer.
Quote:
The competitors customers can go out and buy an Xbox. Something they should have any way.
no ****ing way man. with multiplatform games being 70% of the market, I don't think it's justice at least for myself to own more than one console.

I guess if you're a hardcore game or whatever but still I think it's too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
No company cares about its competitors customers. Thats just how it is. Sony & Microsoft & Nintendo are all guilty of doing this
not really, he's talking about how TR is exclusive now and never was before and now Minecraft
Quote:

**** **** **** **** ****. does this mean it is confirmed?

Quote:

Old 09-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I think it's pretty much safe to assume that Microsoft is going to buy Mojang at this point. These aren't video game sites breaking the news but legitimate business ones like Bloomberg, New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal. And honestly, if Microsoft buys Minecraft and the way they plan on treating it, it will be very interesting to see how they will treat their other properties.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #24
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
I think it's pretty much safe to assume that Microsoft is going to buy Mojang at this point. These aren't video game sites breaking the news but legitimate business ones like Bloomberg, New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal. And honestly, if Microsoft buys Minecraft and the way they plan on treating it, it will be very interesting to see how they will treat their other properties.
if they do buy Mojang, I still would like them to "trump up" the Minecraft brand and associate it with the Xbox consoles, even if they let it remain multiplat.

like, say, the "best Minecraft experience" is only on Xbox.........or something like that.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 09-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #25
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
you don't know that man. if people without a console who love minecraft hear about this they may already have their answer.
If Minecraft became exclusive to the Xbox and Windows platforms, then I would agree with you. Minecraft is a cultural phenomenon and unlike games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Uncharted, or Sunset Overdrive, this would be a game changer. Minecraft has become more like Mario or Halo, people would probably shift platforms for Minecraft.

That said, it's a moot point because even though Microsoft will end up with the Minecraft IP, they have no desire to change things at all.

Quote:
no ****ing way man. with multiplatform games being 70% of the market, I don't think it's justice at least for myself to own more than one console.
I have to agree with this sentiment. While I would love to play games like Halo and Gears of War, I just can't justify having an Xbox One when I already have a PlayStation 4 and a Wii U on top of other gaming platforms like a Nintendo 3DS, an Android phone, and a PC. And I plan on eventually getting a PlayStation Vita. My gaming needs are already pretty damn fulfilled, I would be getting my multiplatform games on the PlayStation 4, so it just wouldn't be worth getting an Xbox One just for a few exclusive games.

Plus I suck at using the Xbox controller

Quote:
I guess if you're a hardcore game or whatever but still I think it's too much.
I think that if a person owns an Xbox One there is no need to go out and buy a PlayStation 4. And the same with PlayStation 4 owners, there is just no need to buy an Xbox One. Even for hardcore gamers IMO, it's just throwing away money IMO.

Quote:
not really, he's talking about how TR is exclusive now and never was before and now Minecraft
Bayonetta was once multiplatform and now it's Nintendo exclusive. Both Sony and Microsoft get exclusive DLC content for their platforms for multiplatform games.

Quote:
**** **** **** **** ****. does this mean it is confirmed?
I think it's pretty much safe to assume that Microsoft is going to buy Mojang at this point. These aren't video game sites breaking the news but legitimate business ones like Bloomberg, New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal.

And honestly, if Microsoft buys Minecraft and the way they plan on treating it, it will be very interesting to see how they will treat their other properties. While I don't expect Halo or Gears of War to appear on the PlayStation platform, I wonder if they will try to find more ways to make those IPs more widespread. And it's good to see with the direction Phil Spencer is taking the Xbox division with acquisitions such as Mojang and the Gears of War IP. If Spencer brings Rare back to its former glory, I would probably put the man on a god damn pedestal.