SHH! Moderator

Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

It was quite a while ago we heard about the Phase 2 lineup and how it can be assumed the standard will be 5 lead-in/solo films for every Avengers film. Phase 3 is roughly 4 years away which means its about time we started speculating. :P

Which solo films do you see setting up Avengers 3 in Phase 3? If youre feeling particularly rambunctious, you can even share your thoughts on subtitles. Five seems to be the magic number but try to keep it between 4 and 6. As it is unlikely we will see more or less than that.

Personally I'd like to see the following:

(Avengers 2: Ultron Imperative, May 2015)
Ant-Man (November 2015)

Captain America 3: Man Out of Time (May 2016)
Doctor Strange (November 2016)
Thor 3: Flames of Surtur (April/May 2017)
Black Panther (August 2017)

Avengers 3 part 1: Thanos Quest (May 2018)
Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel (November 2018)

Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings (May 2019)
Avengers 3 part 2: Infinity Gauntlet (November 2019)

2020 and beyond:
Planet Hulk/World War Hulk
sequels to GotG, Black Panther, Doctor Strange
Namor the Submariner, Silver Surfer, The Inhumans, The Defenders
IM, Cap, Thor reboots?

Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
True, in his criticism of The Empire Strikes Back. He also said he didn't like Ms. Marvel though, and we've been obsessively talking about her on three different threads.
He didn't like Empire Strikes Back!? Also I too would be fine with the 3rd avengers movie being split into 2 movies. As long as they both come out the same year.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way - Part 1

With Ironman franchise on indefinite hiatus and Thor probably having only 1 solo movie left is there any way that some of their better storylines and enemies could be ported over to Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel since she's been poorly handled in 616?

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Splitting movies is a bad idea when it's not the last movie. Splitting movies is really bad idea when there's going to be movies in between. Splitting movies is an amazingly bad idea when you can tell the story in one movie. So splitting Avengers 3 into two parts is a pretty horrible idea. I don't think Marvel Studios is going to go with a horrible idea.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Jackson View Post
With Ironman franchise on indefinite hiatus and Thor probably having only 1 solo movie left is there any way that some of their better storylines and enemies could be ported over to Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel since she's been poorly handled in 616?
If you go that route, MODOK would be one option; they've had a number of encounters in her solo books.

cph9fa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
If you go that route, MODOK would be one option; they've had a number of encounters in her solo books.
It all depends how they do her. They could steal Quasar's origin story and have her be a SHIELD agent who comes into conflict with AIM over the Quantum Bands, if they wanted to skip over the Mar-Vell character. If not,Yon-Rogg would probably be involved some how.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'd love to see a Nova solo movie in Phase 3

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 AM   #9
def28
Side-Kick

That would be awesome.

Nova, Doc Strange and Runaways are the three new ones I'd really like to see happen.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I'd love to see a Nova solo movie in Phase 3
Hey, anything can happen...

However, I get the feeling that Marvel Studios wants to group their cosmic properties under the GOTG umbrella, which IMO is the smart thing to do. With the Nova Corps being prominently featured, I believe Mr. Rider will be hinted at in GOTG and will actually be featured in GOTG2. Same with Warlock. Hint at him Him in GOTG (or possibly more just "hint" based on some recent rumors), and then make Warlock a full-fledged featured member in GOTG2, just in time to play an integral part in Avengers 3... which almost certainly looks to be a re-imagining/adaptation of the Infinity Gauntlet arc.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM1986 View Post
He didn't like Empire Strikes Back!? Also I too would be fine with the 3rd avengers movie being split into 2 movies. As long as they both come out the same year.
No, he said that he thought that Empire Strikes Back fell into one of the biggest sins a sequel could fall, ending with a cliffhanger. He says that a film should be complete, you should walk out of the cinema with a satifying experience.

Therefore, if he directs the 3rd film, it will most likelly not be divided into 2 parts unless Marvel Studios forces him to. I agree with his notion of having a full experience, but i disagree about Empire, i found the ending to be a true "end" to that particular film and not just a "to be continued"

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
It was quite a while ago we heard about the Phase 2 lineup and how it can be assumed the standard will be 5 lead-in/solo films for every Avengers film. Phase 3 is roughly 4 years away which means its about time we started speculating. :P

Which solo films do you see setting up Avengers 3 in Phase 3? If youre feeling particularly rambunctious, you can even share your thoughts on subtitles. Five seems to be the magic number but try to keep it between 4 and 6. As it is unlikely we will see more or less than that.

Personally I'd like to see the following:

(Avengers 2: Ultron Imperative, May 2015)
Ant-Man (November 2015)

Captain America 3: Man Out of Time (May 2016)
Doctor Strange (November 2016)
Thor 3: Flames of Surtur (April/May 2017)
Black Panther (August 2017)

Avengers 3 part 1: Thanos Quest (May 2018)
Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel (November 2018)

Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings (May 2019)
Avengers 3 part 2: Infinity Gauntlet (November 2019)

2020 and beyond:
Planet Hulk/World War Hulk
sequels to GotG, Black Panther, Doctor Strange
Namor the Submariner, Silver Surfer, The Inhumans, The Defenders
IM, Cap, Thor reboots?

Why not switch A3 Part 1 and GOTG? Shouldn't A3 part 1-2 be subsequent installments, just as long as we're going for the pipe dream of a split A3 (which I also wouldn't mind.)

Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Splitting movies is a bad idea when it's not the last movie. Splitting movies is really bad idea when there's going to be movies in between. Splitting movies is an amazingly bad idea when you can tell the story in one movie. So splitting Avengers 3 into two parts is a pretty horrible idea. I don't think Marvel Studios is going to go with a horrible idea.
It depends. I think a two part A3 would allow them to give the (by then) nearly dozen Avengers each something to do, and would allow for Loki to play a part in the film. Even though the MCU will endure, A3 should still feel like a send-off film for this era in the MCU.

It will theoretically involve most of the cast of A1, in addition to Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Ant-Man, Wasp, possibly War Machine, Falcon, Bucky, and perhaps one or two other Avengers (Black Panther, Vision, Captain Marvel?) We might also see Loki in a role similar to the one Mephisto played in the actual Infinity Gauntlet comic book. Such a story can't be contained in a single 2 hour and 20 minute film. Make a 5 hour film, split it in 2, and schedule them for May and November 2019.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
No, he said that he thought that Empire Strikes Back fell into one of the biggest sins a sequel could fall, ending with a cliffhanger. He says that a film should be complete, you should walk out of the cinema with a satifying experience.

Therefore, if he directs the 3rd film, it will most likelly not be divided into 2 parts unless Marvel Studios forces him to. I agree with his notion of having a full experience, but i disagree about Empire, i found the ending to be a true "end" to that particular film and not just a "to be continued"
I'm with you. It just wasn't a happy ending.

Quote:
It depends. I think a two part A3 would allow them to give the (by then) nearly dozen Avengers each something to do, and would allow for Loki to play a part in the film. Even though the MCU will endure, A3 should still feel like a send-off film for this era in the MCU.

It will theoretically involve most of the cast of A1, in addition to Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Ant-Man, Wasp, possibly War Machine, Falcon, Bucky, and perhaps one or two other Avengers (Black Panther, Vision, Captain Marvel?) We might also see Loki in a role similar to the one Mephisto played in the actual Infinity Gauntlet comic book. Such a story can't be contained in a single 2 hour and 20 minute film. Make a 5 hour film, split it in 2, and schedule them for May and November 2019.
I'm generally annoyed by split finales in film franchises, but you make a convincing argument here, Kang. Also, it has become soooooo common lately that I would not be surprised if this is they way they go.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I'd like to see Tigra in a future movie, it would be sexy to see the light-fur and bikini on a cute actress.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
BobJM
Who's Bad?

I'd like to see a Secret Avengers type movie, or just something in Phase 3 to shake up the monotonous nature of only solo flicks and avengers.

Use War Machine, Hawkeye, Falcon, Agent 13, (maybe Widow unless she's sticking with Caps franchise), maybe even Coulson.

You could even introduce Mockingbird and use AntMan. Having teams splinter off of Avengers would not only expand the universe but elevate secondary characters to A List

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

For the one-shots, I'd like see:

1. The Justice League secretly dancing to the Iron Man 3 theme song "Can You Dig It"?

2. Wonder Woman trying to have dinner with Carol Danvers but Superman and Batman try to sabotage it.

3. All the Avengers are on stage at the Oscars, but the Justice League only watch with the audience.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
It all depends how they do her. They could steal Quasar's origin story and have her be a SHIELD agent who comes into conflict with AIM over the Quantum Bands, if they wanted to skip over the Mar-Vell character. If not,Yon-Rogg would probably be involved some how.

You need to do Mar-Vell first. Captain Marvel is a tricky property to do right as it's both an origin and an ending. Granted, Mar isn't going to die from cancer this time around, you'd need to use Yon-Rogg to kill him so Carol can have revenge. I mean, it would be billed as a team-up film with Mar as the hero, then right at the end of the second act, Mar dies and Carol becomes the protagonist. It's impossible to make a movie about Carol that doesn't include Mar in some way since he's far too tied to her origin.

I mean, if Inhumans does come first, then something where the Inhumanity event occurs to give Carol her powers is possible but I'd like to see Mar appear at some point since Carol's motivation is to live up to his legacy.

Also, my top dozen Avengers are

1. Iron Man
2. Captain America
3. Black Widow
4. Hulk
5. Thor
6. Hawkeye
7. Spider-Man
8. Captain Marvel
9. Scarlet Witch
10. Black Panther
11. Luke Cage
12. Vision

Winter Soldier, Falcon, Sif, She-Hulk and War Machine work better in solo films as supporting characters.

And Iron Man is not on indefinite hiatus, it's just taking a one phase break like Hulk did.

Last edited by Dasher10; 01-11-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #19
def28
Side-Kick

One Phase break? We only have one movie from phase 3 confirmed.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
I'm with you. It just wasn't a happy ending.

I'm generally annoyed by split finales in film franchises, but you make a convincing argument here, Kang. Also, it has become soooooo common lately that I would not be surprised if this is they way they go.
The reason it is warranted now is because this isn't the culmination of a 3 film franchise, it will be the culmination of about 18 movies, including 4 trilogies and about 8-9 individual titles. If you want to properly cap that without it being a flustercuck, you need a split film.

I'd actually make it a 3 part story, with a Guardians sequel serving as part one, and a split Avengers sequel as parts 2 and three. The Guardians sequel would deal with the Thanos Quest, and the Avengers 3 and 4 would deal with the Infinity Gauntlet itself.

Last edited by KangConquers; 01-11-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #21
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
The reason it is warranted now is because this isn't the culmination of a 3 film franchise, it will be the culmination of about 18 movies, including 4 trilogies and about 8-9 individual titles. If you want to properly cap that without it being a flustercuck, you need a split film.
Good point.

BTW, I love the outline of your "Dream Phase 3" in your signature. You might have explained it elsewhere, but what would your Cap 3 be about? Is that a storyline from the comics? The rest are pretty self explanatory/familiar to me.

EDIT: Just looked up Secret Empire on comicvine. Can't believe I haven't come across them before.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Last edited by seahammer; 01-11-2014 at 09:58 PM.
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #22
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
I like splitting movies if it makes more financial/marketing sense than one supremely long 5 hour movie, I personally wish The first Avengers film was twice as long as one movie or split in two (with the first part ending preferably with the defeat of Hulk and the start of Loki's Chitauri Invasion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
A reimagined MODOK could be a nice addition to the MCU

Quote:
That could work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
I'd like to see a Secret Avengers type movie, or just something in Phase 3 to shake up the monotonous nature of only solo flicks and avengers.

Use War Machine, Hawkeye, Falcon, Agent 13, (maybe Widow unless she's sticking with Caps franchise), maybe even Coulson.

You could even introduce Mockingbird and use AntMan. Having teams splinter off of Avengers would not only expand the universe but elevate secondary characters to A List
I've been thinking the same thing except I'd rather call the exclusively government Agents/Soldiers team of heroes "The Ultimates" rather than water down the MCU Avengers brand with West Coast, Dark, Secret, Great Lakes... Agent 13 should probably stick with Cap and My ideal Ultimates team would definitely include Carol Danvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
And Iron Man is not on indefinite hiatus, it's just taking a one phase break like Hulk did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
One Phase break? We only have one movie from phase 3 confirmed.
Far as I know RDJ is only doing A2 and A3 he seems to be done with IM solo features.

Last edited by Chance Jackson; 01-11-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #23
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
Good point.

BTW, I love the outline of your "Dream Phase 3" in your signature. You might have explained it elsewhere, but what would your Cap 3 be about? Is that a storyline from the comics? The rest are pretty self explanatory/familiar to me.

EDIT: Just looked up Secret Empire on comicvine. Can't believe I haven't come across them before.
The problem is, the more I hear about Cap Am: Winter Soldier, the more it seems there are elements of the Secret Empire Arc (i.e. a government conspiracy.)

Old 01-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #24
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:

That addresses the movies in between problem, but it still is a false finale, and it's still not necessary, and it has additional problems with contracts making it impossible, particularly RDJ's. You can tell a superb version of the Infinity Gauntlet without giving all 12 Avengers significant parts. They're Ocean's 11. They have distinct voices and a couple cool moments each, but most are supporting cast for all intents and purposes. If you really want to be ambitious make it three hours Avatar/Lord of the Rings style, that's more than enough time to cover everything, and add in a lot of cool extras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Jackson View Post
I like splitting movies if it makes more financial/marketing sense than one supremely long 5 hour movie, I personally wish The first Avengers film was twice as long as one movie or split in two (with the first part ending preferably with the defeat of Hulk and the start of Loki's Chitauri Invasion)
I mean, I wish the MCU was providing three times as much content as it is now too, but the issue is, few people would have been satisfied and entertained with the first half of Avengers as a film unto itself. That means fewer people to see the second half, and fewer people to see the next 'half a film' that the MCU puts out. Better to tell a complete story unless you already have everyone hooked and you'll never have to sell them a movie other than the one they missed watching the half movie.

Overall, The problem with half movies is that they give an unsatisfying experience in anticipation of something extremely fulfilling in the second half. That's great for a finale, but if it's not a finale, they their expectations following the extremely satisfying experience are warped, since now your franchise is something that either gives an unsatisfying experience, or the movie event of the century, but you don't do either anymore, leading to disappointment. Better to give your end of an era movie some extra TLC, and put whatever would have been in Avengers 3 Part 1 into the Phase 3 films, rather than the marketing stunt that big franchises go out on.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #25
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
I mean, I wish the MCU was providing three times as much content as it is now too, but the issue is, few people would have been satisfied and entertained with the first half of Avengers as a film unto itself. That means fewer people to see the second half, and fewer people to see the next 'half a film' that the MCU puts out. Better to tell a complete story unless you already have everyone hooked and you'll never have to sell them a movie other than the one they missed watching the half movie.

Overall, The problem with half movies is that they give an unsatisfying experience in anticipation of something extremely fulfilling in the second half. That's great for a finale, but if it's not a finale, they their expectations following the extremely satisfying experience are warped, since now your franchise is something that either gives an unsatisfying experience, or the movie event of the century, but you don't do either anymore, leading to disappointment. Better to give your end of an era movie some extra TLC, and put whatever would have been in Avengers 3 Part 1 into the Phase 3 films, rather than the marketing stunt that big franchises go out on.
I think they could make it it work. In many ways Avengers was a very condensed version of Ultimates vol 1 parts 1 and 2, but with less character development and the scale of the threat felt smaller since there was a much smaller response to Hulk and the Chitauri respectively. Split in two and pumped up I think Avengers would have had 2 fully satisfactory movies but what do I know I don't make movies lol