The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-24-2014, 02:21 AM   #76
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way - Part 1

Agreed, but the Fantastic Four really deserve and good film, Jack Kirby's run is the stuff of legends, half the modern Marvel Universe spawned from there. It seems the right film to celebrate superheroics, science fiction, space exploration, giant monsters from the 50s-60s and family all in the same film.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #77
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I'd much rather FF stay with Fox rather than not have a Dr. Strange or Black Panther movie or push back Avengers 3. I'd much rather see some cool overlooked heroes than a better version of movies we've already seen.
If they didn't come with Silver Surfer and Galactus I'd agree. But with all the cool stuff Marvel is doing with Thanos and GOTG, the fact we can't have Surfer joining the fun really disappoints. I love his role and connections in the Marvel cosmic universe. Always liked Surfer more then a majority of the Marvel characters though so I hold a bias.

Hopefully Fox makes strong use of what they have.

Last edited by def28; 01-24-2014 at 07:22 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #78
Lord
All Mighty

Don't worry about the silver surfer, if the FF reboot fails (which is likelly), Marvel will get the rights back, and in some 10-20 years we'll possibly be able to see the story arc in Silver Surfer where Thanos came back to life for the first time.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #79
Loki882
Side-Kick

Except that the previous FF films were made under the previous regime at Fox. There are now new people in place. The fact that the X-films seem to finally have gotten back on track gives me hope that the FF reboot might be good. Also, Josh Trank is directing, awesome. I just want to see a PROPER version of Doctor Doom SO BADLY!!

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #80
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The fact that the X-films seem to finally have gotten back on track gives
two good first halves of movies are back on track?

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #81
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

So they are announcing the bulk of Phase 3 at SDCC this year arent they? I think I remember them mentioning something like that.

This thread's days may be numbered. We'll finally get to see whose speculation was closest.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #82
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
So they are announcing the bulk of Phase 3 at SDCC this year arent they? I think I remember them mentioning something like that.

This thread's days may be numbered. We'll finally get to see whose speculation was closest.
Kevin Feige hinted at the possibilty last year, yes.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #83
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
If they didn't come with Silver Surfer and Galactus I'd agree. But with all the cool stuff Marvel is doing with Thanos and GOTG, the fact we can't have Surfer joining the fun really disappoints. I love his role and connections in the Marvel cosmic universe. Always liked Surfer more then a majority of the Marvel characters though so I hold a bias.

Hopefully Fox makes strong use of what they have.
Agreed. The idea that Feige is going to sell us a cosmic universe without those two is... comical, to say the least. All due respect to GotG fans, but I don't have any interest in that property.

How deep do they think the Marvel gallery is? As long as they make good movies they should be alright, but their movies haven't been great IMO, aside from IM and Avengers. It's scary to think they'd be willing to dump 200 million on some of these projects. I wonder how long that's going to last. One bomb will probably kill off an entire Marvel branch of films.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #84
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

So you guys think GOTG will fail, basically, because the rest of the Marvel Cosmic universe pales in comparison to Silver Surfer and Galactus? Is that where you guys are coming from? Celestials, Thanos, Eternity, Death, Adam Warlock, Uatu, Korvac... they're not realy interesting unless Silver Surfer and Galactus are in the mix?

What's really a shame is that people don't want the FF in the MCU to have the FF in the MCU. They still want FF to be off on their own, separate from the Avengers... they just want the Avengers to fight Fantastic Four villains. Tough times.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #85
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you guys think GOTG will fail, basically, because the rest of the Marvel Cosmic universe pales in comparison to Silver Surfer and Galactus? Is that where you guys are coming from? Celestials, Thanos, Eternity, Death, Adam Warlock, Uatu, Korvac... they're not realy interesting unless Silver Surfer and Galactus are in the mix?

What's really a shame is that people don't want the FF in the MCU to have the FF in the MCU. They still want FF to be off on their own, separate from the Avengers... they just want the Avengers to fight Fantastic Four villains. Tough times.
Honestly, if you are talking about brand names that will sell, then no question it's FF and Co. It's not that GotG isn't interesting. But as a 200 million dollar film? That is CRAZY. If that is remotely successful (will need to make at least Thor numbers for that), that is a huge accomplishment, and Feige can say, "Told ya so".

I also don't want FF/Avengers together for the record. Those characters are too universal and they'd basically have to cross over every film with the threats the MCU deals with on a daily basis. I prefer they come before (1960's) or after The Avengers in the continuity.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #86
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I disagree. FF is publicly known as a laughably poor movie franchise. A fresh franchise like GOTG is more marketable, since it doesn't have to distance itself from the previous iteration. At this point, GOTG is as marketable as Inception or Avatar were before they came out. FF is about as marketable as The Last Airbender. You won't see a remake for that movie anytime soon.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #87
def28
Side-Kick

GOTG is my most hyped movie of the year. James Gunn is friggen crazy haha. Just the fact it's a big budget movie directed by him is getting me there. I think it's gonna kick ass and thats why I want SS in the mix. Interacting with all these other cosmic characters in a huge Universe where he belongs with. Fox will never have that for him to interact with.

I was just saying I personally like the character of SS more then the other two you mentioned. Not bashing or saying anything will fail, except for the fact Marvel doesn't have SS and Galactus and that sucks.

Last edited by def28; 01-24-2014 at 04:18 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #88
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I suspect that Cap 2's numbers will be much better than Thor 2's, and thus, they'll conclude that April is the superior date... even though the quality of Thor 2 was questionable. Ugh.

I'd like to see Dr. Strange and Black Panther in the mix, along with Cap 3, Thor 3, GOTG2 and of course Ant-Man.

I love Hulk, but him being a SHIELD asset is redundant, and Planet Hulk is practically unfilmable and certainly not profitable enough to justify an Avatar-sized budget. Inhumans, awesome as they are, can wait, honestly. They aren't actually needed. Have them an Captain Marvel come in as the new properties for Phase 4 or something. Bring back Hulk and Iron Man and maybe let Thor and/or Cap rest, depending on who needs to introduce a new actor.
We haven't had a Hulk solo in a while, so I'd rather see him get a phase 3 sequel than wait until phase 4.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #89
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

^Agreed

Old 01-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #90
Rylvan
Side-Kick

Taking into account what Feige has said about doing two movies a year, and keeping a balance between existing characters and new, plus which new characters are most likely to get their own movie, I see it happening something like this.

Ant-Man - July 17, 2015
Thor 3 - May 6, 2016
Doctor Strange - July 8, 2016
Captain America 3 - May 5, 2017
Black Panther - July 2017
Avengers 3 - May 2018

But I wouldn't be surprised if Thor 3 and/or Captain America 3 got switched out with Guardians 2 and/or Hulk 2.

Last edited by Rylvan; 01-24-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Rylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #91
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
two good first halves of movies are back on track?
No, two good movies period means that they're back on track.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #92
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
No, two good movies period means that they're back on track.
then we will have to wait until they are back on track some day, I guess.

ZWERG/ELF

Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #93
Loki882
Side-Kick

I'd prefer that Marvel give new characters their shots in Phase 3, rather than do more movies with characters that we've already seen. Or, in the case of Hulk, a character who's gotten two shots and neither has worked out as well as hoped. I'm actually beginning to think that the Hulk works much better as part of an ensemble, when he has someone to play off of, than in a solo movie.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #94
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
then we will have to wait until they are back on track some day, I guess.
Nope, they're already there.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #95
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
We haven't had a Hulk solo in a while, so I'd rather see him get a phase 3 sequel than wait until phase 4.
I hope to see more of the character, perhaps tagging along Black Widow style, but I don't think there's a great story there, tbh.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #96
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I hope to see more of the character, perhaps tagging along Black Widow style, but I don't think there's a great story there, tbh.
Why not? I think there are plenty of good stories out there for Dr. Banner. As with any franchise, it just takes some creativity to produce a quality film.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #97
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Why not? I think there are plenty of good stories out there for Dr. Banner. As with any franchise, it just takes some creativity to produce a quality film.
Out there in the comics? Sure. Doable for 150M and markedly different from, say, Cap's military/SHIELD-centric franchise or Tony's inventor-centric franchise? I don't know of any such good stories, and it doesn't seem Marvel Studios does either.

The basic directions for a Hulk movie are exemplified by Indestructible Hulk and Planet Hulk, neither one seems to be an option. Is there another direction out there, or does someone have to piecemeal it together?

Old 01-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #98
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Out there in the comics? Sure. Doable for 150M and markedly different from, say, Cap's military/SHIELD-centric franchise or Tony's inventor-centric franchise? I don't know of any such good stories, and it doesn't seem Marvel Studios does either.

The basic directions for a Hulk movie are exemplified by Indestructible Hulk and Planet Hulk, neither one seems to be an option. Is there another direction out there, or does someone have to piecemeal it together?
There was a time people said a movie about Thor wouldn't sell either or would suck. How'd that turn out? Same for many other characters (I personally liked TIH a lot). That said, just because YOU don't see a movie in the Hulk property doesn't mean there ISN'T one. I am very confident a Hulk movie could easily work. If Ant-Man can get a movie, Hulk can get a sequel.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #99
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:

Well, T:TDW wasn't even piecemealed together from existing storylines, it was an original story altogether. I don't think Marvel really cares to copy a story from the comics. Sure, many of their films have been inspired by storylines from the comics, but even those have been changed significantly (like Extremis in IM3). I don't see it as an issue for the Hulk sequel to be an original story.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #100
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
There was a time people said a movie about Thor wouldn't sell either or would suck. How'd that turn out? Same for many other characters (I personally liked TIH a lot). That said, just because YOU don't see a movie in the Hulk property doesn't mean there ISN'T one. I am very confident a Hulk movie could easily work. If Ant-Man can get a movie, Hulk can get a sequel.
Ant-Man has an original, affordable story, Thor as well, plus there are specific answers to the objections people brought up in those days, even if they didn't listen at the time. Hulk has no such practical answers to the practical problems he presents. And to clarify and restate: I did not say or show that there isn't such a story, I just showed how neither you, nor I nor anyone at Marvel Studios knows what that story is or how to find it. This is not like Thor where people who didn't know the character disagreed with the answers, but all you can say is "I'm sure it's out there," which does no one any good, and doesn't actually disagree with my statement.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 01-26-2014 at 06:07 PM.