The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men 1, 2 & 3

Old 05-09-2014, 02:32 AM   #26
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: wat if they built up to x men, like avengers?

But they're major stories start in the team, aside from Wolverine, i don't think most of the characters deserve to have their oun film series, that is just oversaturating.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #27
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
But they weren't BORN into the team. They all had origin stories.
Everyone has an origin stories, but doesn't mean they should make one for everyone.[

QUOTE=XtremelyBaneful;28719027]Dude, you yourself suggested in an earlier post that the X Men film with origin stories that came before could have been a big deal... so yes, I do think those films would have been successful for building up a shared universe.[/QUOTE]

Huh what? Origin stories would be cool, but I didn't say they should release a solo Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine/Storm movie first before an actual X-Men team movie. Because that just won't sell enough. Even before Wolverine got his 1st solo movie, they built him up in the 1st 3 X-Men movies.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #28
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post

Huh what? Origin stories would be cool, but I didn't say they should release a solo Cyclops/Jean/Wolverine/Storm movie first before an actual X-Men team movie.
yes you did.

Quote:
Imagine if they released a film titled Wolverine in 2000, then Cyclops in 2001, then Jean Grey in 2002 and finally Storm in 2003 then the all-ensemble X-Men film in 2004. The first all-ensemble X-Men might be perform huge with the 4-films that led to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post

the very name "Xbox One" is stupid, personally. There was an Xbox one. It was the original Xbox.
XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #29
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I said "imagine" and "might perform". I didn't suggest Fox should have done it before.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #30
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
I said "imagine" and "might perform". I didn't suggest Fox should have done it before.

Stop putting words in my mouth.
I wasn't putting words in your mouth. I quoted you to back up my claims, and what you said before was good enough for me to believe that this is/was a good idea.

Quote:

the very name "Xbox One" is stupid, personally. There was an Xbox one. It was the original Xbox.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:07 AM   #31
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Good idea for a story, sure.

But good idea to bank money at the box-office, no.

And you are forcing me to like this idea and trying to make me contradict myself. You know what let this discussion go.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #32
Lord
All Mighty

I think people should stop asking for other franchises to be like the MCU, i don't think we need so many connected films, X-Men doesn't need build up like this, it's a team franchise, like Oceans 11 or Mission Impossible with super powers, you can have a spin-off for Wolverine now and then, sure, but not every character needs or deserves that.

I don't want 2 X-Men, Star Wars, Spider-Man, etc films per year, let the franchises breathe, sometimes it's good to have a single franchise, not make it thiner by trying to transform ir into a mega-franchise.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #33
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:

And you are forcing me to like this idea and trying to make me contradict myself. You know what let this discussion go.
Let this discussion go? No, I don't control this discussion. It ends whenever everyone ceases to respond.

The whole foundation of my thread was comparison to Avengers, and THAT was obviously a good idea to bank money at the box office, so why wouldn't this idea be?

Quote:

Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 AM   #34
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Avengers doesn't operate like X-Men.

Avengers is basically the All-Stars group of the Marvel universe, established superheroes coming together as a group. X-Men is not like that. They didn't have solo titles before they joined the X-Men. Obviously, the movies followed the same path as the comics.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #35
ARiESdaGEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
okay, so avengers is the most successful, highest grossing comic book movie, ever. and the hype built up more and more by releasing films each in the same universe as each other.

which culminated to 5 to 6 superheroes, coming together. that's essentially wat x men is as well, dozens of superheroes appearing onscreen together. my question/theory is this:

obviously fox focuses on wolverine as the main character in all of its cinematic lore. so, wat if they started off with him, as an origin story, and then a magneto and xavier origin story similar to first class, and so on, and so forth, until we get to something like X Men - a film where all of them are finally culminated on screen to fight alongside together, finally - instead of starting off that way, the same way I heard they were gonna do the justice league movie (that might have would have been doomed to fail).

do you think the x men films would have been more well received/higher grossed/more popular?
It probably wouldnt work for the X-Men. They have too much main characters with brilliant long backstories. It took a prequel (X-Men: First Class) and X-Men to roughly do Xaviers and Magnetos backstory. But who knows what they could do

ARiESdaGEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #36
agentorange
Banned User

If they were to go the Avengers route with seperate films leading up to the actual team film that would be the best thing to do IMO. Zack Snyder jumped the gun a little by doing Batman Vs Superman so early I think we should have at least had another solo Superman sequel before bringing in Justice League characters, but I think the pressure for a Justice League movie is why he wants to rush the introduction of the other members. But there's a fan-film on YouTube called Uncanny X-men and the actor they have playing Pyro is brilliant, way better than the Pyro in X-2 & Last Stand. If they were to reboot the X-men franchise and pick a new cast in the future they should definitely give his agent a call.

agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #37
The Endless
WE are Groot

Solo X-Men films? No. The only X-Men who can support solo comics are Wolverine and... err that's it. Unless you wanna count someone like Deadpool. If they can't support solo comics, what makes you think they'll support solo films?

The X-Men are a team. They are together with a share mythology because they all share one thing in common(they are mutants).

It's not like Avengers or Justice League where most members have their own solo stories and solo mythologies.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #38
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Agreed.

First Avenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #39
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Solo X-Men films? No. The only X-Men who can support solo comics are Wolverine and... err that's it. Unless you wanna count someone like Deadpool. If they can't support solo comics, what makes you think they'll support solo films?

The X-Men are a team. They are together with a share mythology because they all share one thing in common(they are mutants).

It's not like Avengers or Justice League where most members have their own solo stories and solo mythologies.
The X Men weren't BORN into a team. They all had overlapping origin stories. I can't believe how many times I've had to reiterate this statement.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #40
BMM
Side-Kick

No, I don't think MCU style solo films would work, at least not based on the X-Men's comic book origins. For instance, Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, and Jean Grey, may not have been born into the team, but their origin stories aren't substantial enough to support solo films of their own. They were too young when they were recruited, and the rest of their history is too intertwined, to provide enough material for a solo film or franchise.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #41
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

The only way the X-Men universe could do something akin to what the MCU is doing is if they did solo TEAM movies since there are very few actual X-Men that need a solo movie. Gambit, Wolverine, Deadpool and Mystique are really the only ones I can see having successful solo movies because they all had successful solo comic's.

Now, team spin-offs would be the way to go in order to address the issue of overcrowding. They're never going to be able to do justice to every single X-Men character if they have to keep juggling 10-12 main characters in one movie.

They really need to start doing spin-off for teams like X-Force, X-Factor, Xcalibur, New Mutants etc. in order to spread the characters out. That way, they'll be able to give the necessary time and development to each character.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #42
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick

I've thought about this concept a few times, but the X-Men characters in my opinion do not have enough of a back story to hold their own film. Maybe if in the first X-Men film, they took ten to fifteen minutes to give a backstory/origin of each character to build up what the team would be maybe might have worked. Not to say that there are a few characters, such as Wolverine and what not, but I think a majority of watchers get the point.
What X-Men has that the Avengers don't (lightly putting this as I know there are various Avenger teams) is that there are several different teams such as X-Force, New Mutants, X-Factor, Excalibur, Generation X, the list and possibilities are endless. Heck, there are enough popular characters, that an X-Men movie with newer mutants like Gambit, Colossus, Shadowcat, Iceman, and Nightcrawler would even be a hit (most likely).
The X-Men were originally a team, whereas the Avengers started out with standalone heroes that teamed together.

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #43
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

If they want to make origin stories/solo movies for Jean, Cyclops and the rest, it could happen, after all, the length of a single film isn't very long. I mean just look at Lost or other TV shows with an ensemble cast, if they can dedicate centric episodes for 6 seasons to more than 15 characters, why can't the writers of Fox come up with a story for Cyclops, Jean, Storm that would last long than at least 1hour and 30 minutes. The problem though, the scale of it wouldn't be very big, I don't think it will do very well at the box-office especially if the budget is big and chances are Fox would put characters that shouldn't be in the film in the first place. They would do it just to get more interest to the public. Like what they did in Origins by mixing Gambit/Deadpool/Cyclops/Emma Frost in the origin story of Wolverine. And personally, instead of making smaller films, they could justcontinue making films with the cast that started the series. No one is getting any younger after-all.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #44
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:

first before replying to your next quote, I just have to say that this post in fact made me lol when I read it to myself.
Quote:
If they want to make origin stories/solo movies for Jean, Cyclops and the rest, it could happen, after all, the length of a single film isn't very long. I mean just look at Lost or other TV shows with an ensemble cast, if they can dedicate centric episodes for 6 seasons to more than 15 characters, why can't the writers of Fox come up with a story for Cyclops, Jean, Storm that would last long than at least 1hour and 30 minutes. The problem though, the scale of it wouldn't be very big, I don't think it will do very well at the box-office especially if the budget is big and chances are Fox would put characters that shouldn't be in the film in the first place. They would do it just to get more interest to the public. Like what they did in Origins by mixing Gambit/Deadpool/Cyclops/Emma Frost in the origin story of Wolverine. And personally, instead of making smaller films, they could justcontinue making films with the cast that started the series. No one is getting any younger after-all.
and yeah, perhaps certain key x men deserved origin story movies but not them all - marvel themselves didn't make one for hawkeye or scarlett widow, or even for any of the guardians of the galaxy, except for the opening for starlord which is probably all the backstory we'll get for him until they explain his father. but even that's just going forward with the story, not making an origin.

Quote:

Old 08-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #45
Sexy Magician
Most Excellent

Quote:

It made me lol also, you clearly called him out and he knew it, so 'you know what let this discussion go.' Haha

Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #46
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy Magician View Post
It made me lol also, you clearly called him out and he knew it, so 'you know what let this discussion go.' Haha
lol yeah but I was right wasn't I?

Quote:

Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #47
Great Mind(s)
Broken

As everyone else said, the X-Men series in the comics is about the TEAM from the get go. Sure nobody is born into a team but that's a silly argument because you can make it for any series.

"Marty McFly and Doc Brown weren't BORN friends, lets have one movie all about Marty and one all about Doc and then lead into BTTF" nah it doesn't work that way with everything.

Avengers the movie is a team up of different characters with totally different origins. They could all exist within their own universe if little things didnt connect them. But X-Men are all in the same mutant universe. They start that way in the comics, tv shows and everything.. Of course the movies are going to be the same. Writers and viewers like the character dynamics between like Logan and Scott or Xavier and Magneto because they're all supporting characters of each other. Iron man has Pepper and Rhodes, Thor has Jane and loki etc. X-Men IS all of the characters together, thats the point.
Nobody wants to watch a movie about Jean and her parents.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #48
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
As everyone else said, the X-Men series in the comics is about the TEAM from the get go. Sure nobody is born into a team but that's a silly argument because you can make it for any series.

"Marty McFly and Doc Brown weren't BORN friends, lets have one movie all about Marty and one all about Doc and then lead into BTTF" nah it doesn't work that way with everything.

Avengers the movie is a team up of different characters with totally different origins. They could all exist within their own universe if little things didnt connect them. But X-Men are all in the same mutant universe. They start that way in the comics, tv shows and everything.. Of course the movies are going to be the same. Writers and viewers like the character dynamics between like Logan and Scott or Xavier and Magneto because they're all supporting characters of each other. Iron man has Pepper and Rhodes, Thor has Jane and loki etc. X-Men IS all of the characters together, thats the point.
Nobody wants to watch a movie about Jean and her parents.
yeah, and the avengers universe was the first successful time I think, such a thing has ever occurred yeah?

I see here that the common opinion is that this is not a good idea, but I'm still with it. Therer would be an audience for a movie about jean and her parents.

Quote: