The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Old 01-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #51
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

Default Re: Michael Douglas is Hank Pym

Uh........okay. Not quite sure how I feel about this, I figured Pym would be older but I didn't expect this. But you gotta give it to Marvel, they go for the big guns when it comes to actors.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #52
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I'm down for this. The rumor is

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Michael Douglas is really the villain so maybe Hank Pym starts out a good guy and gets corrupted? We haven't heard rumours about who the villain is yet after all.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #53
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

yeah that would just be gravy, make him a villain on top of it all

Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #54
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I am totally cool with this. Never been a huge Pym fan and I'm one of those people who - despite being a cb/Marvel fan from way back - has been arguing for MORE liberties to be taken with the material. And wadayaknow, somebody at Marvel heard me (I wish).

Anyway, the only negative is I had Mary Winstead penciled in for the Wasp and now the character is totally up in the air. Hope she eventually joins the Avengers team, with or without Hank.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #55
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
I've only ever seen outrage about The Mandarin on the boards. General audience seemed to have zero problem with it.

Although the Hank Pym casting is totally out of left field, I love Wright and Cornish and will probably follow them into the pits of comic book fandom hell, so I'm super down to see how they pull this off.
Agreed. But it's just the kind of casting that makes you so excited!

KDM1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #56
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Can they make Janet the daughter of Douglas' Pym, so we can still have Wasp?

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #57
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post
If someone told me 3 months ago that Michael Douglas was going to be cast as Hank Pym, I would have laughed out loud.
it surprised the hell out of me. i quite honestly couldn't have guessed the actor's involvment. he's like 5x more well-regarded than Paul Rudd. what did they use to entice him?

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #58
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I wonder if he'll show up in the Avengers.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #59
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I wonder if he'll show up in the Avengers.
Hopefully Avengers 3 will be Old Avengers starring Robert Redford, Michael Douglas and Abe Vigoda as The Vision.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #60
Blind_Lawyer
Side-Kick

Not quite the direction I was hoping Ant-Man was going in. Guess I was crossing my fingers that Hank and Jan would be established with this movie and then end up in an Avengers movie down the line. Oh well.

I liked the Scott Lang storyline, so I'm not opposed to that, but Douglas seems too old to be Pym. An actor in his late 40's-early 50's would have appealed to me more than a guy who's pushing--what?--70? And, I really don't like Douglas as an actor, so there's that...

Blind_Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #61
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

must admit like everyone i am very surprised to see douglas cast as Hank Pym
very curious to see what they have planned

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #62
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
I'm sure I'll end up liking it, but I too wanted a young Hank Pym. Since I was never really big into Ant-Man, I'm not really bothered by it. There's also the opportunity for a lot of flashbacks too. Who would be good to play a young Hank Pym?

This. I too was hoping for a young version.....but I'll see what the finished product looks like & judge it then.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #63
meltdown28
Side-Kick

What if the movie still takes place in the MCU, just a little farther into the future than what is expected?

I think its a little bit ridiculous for people to freak out when they dont know much about the plot other than its the To Steal A Ant-Man storyline

meltdown28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #64
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I'm down for this. The rumor is

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Michael Douglas is really the villain so maybe Hank Pym starts out a good guy and gets corrupted? We haven't heard rumours about who the villain is yet after all.
in the original To Steal An Ant-Man, the villain was pretty much the same age as Douglas. he was harvesting hearts from homeless people to stay alive. i doubt that they'd go that route. maybe the time gem will come into play, at some point.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #65
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

This casting confuses and frightens me.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #66
Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
in the original To Steal An Ant-Man, the villain was pretty much the same age as Douglas. he was harvesting hearts from homeless people to stay alive. i doubt that they'd go that route. maybe the time gem will come into play, at some point.
I realize you're being nice and giving folks like me a ray of hope. But don't be cruel bro. We have to come to terms with Pym not being relevant in current timeline MCU. Holding out hope for anything else at this point is futile.
Congrats on getting a Lang that could end up becoming an MCU Avenger.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #67
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Well this certainly comes as a surprise to me. So, our young Ant-Man is Scott Lang then. I can dig it.
it's funny to think of Paul Rudd as "young ant-man." he's in his forties.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #68
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
it surprised the hell out of me. i quite honestly couldn't have guessed the actor's involvment. he's like 5x more well-regarded than Paul Rudd. what did they use to entice him?
Comic book movies are popular right now and he probably wants to be in a (potential) hit movie. At 70 he's not exactly in his prime anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #69
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur´s Heir View Post
RIDICULOUS!
As much as i like Douglas, to make Hank Pym 69 year old guy is pointless and moronic.

Of course that some people will like it because they are more interested in the idea of legendary actors in Marvel movies than an actually good portrait of the characters.
Or maybe some people like it because they're interested in legendary actors giving good portraits of the characters?

I don't know much about Ant-Man, but this was an interesting casting and unpredictable. I'm proud of Marvel for doing this. It feels pretty out the box.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #70
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

And here comes the pain...

Just can't be happy about this. I wanted Hank to be Hank. To be in his prime and a real part of the Avengers. And well... Janet.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #71
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
I realize you're being nice and giving folks like me a ray of hope. But don't be cruel bro. We have to come to terms with Pym not being relevant in current timeline MCU. Holding out hope for anything else at this point is futile.
Congrats on getting a Lang that could end up becoming an MCU Avenger.
actually, i sort of lost out. i've said from the start that i didn't want Scott to be an Avenger. now he'll wind up being Giant-man; an identity i don't care for. i'm a Scott Lang fan because Hank turned his back on the Ant-Man identity. Scott was ant-man through and through. but i'm not going to complain too much. this will be a good movie because of the people involved.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #72
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78;27644749[B
]I've only ever seen outrage about The Mandarin on the boards[/B]. General audience seemed to have zero problem with it.

Although the Hank Pym casting is totally out of left field, I love Wright and Cornish and will probably follow them into the pits of comic book fandom hell, so I'm super down to see how they pull this off.
Like all these fans of the character started coming out of nowhere. But the way the reaction was, you'd thought there was a huge number of Mandarin fans for decades. Hank will be Ant-man, Wright and Feige said so. I get some people are dissapointed by this but there are some over-reactions going on over at CBM. I never knew Pym was such a huge and beloved character. This is all news to me.

"Cut off one head and two more shall take its place." - HAIL HYDRA!

GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIES OF ALL TIME:
1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 2) The Dark Knight 3) Spider-Man 2 4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past 5) X-Men: First Class
TeeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #73
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Has Sam posted yet?

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #74
Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Like all these fans of the character started coming out of nowhere. But the way the reaction was, you'd thought there was a huge number of Mandarin fans for decades. Hank will be Ant-man, Wright and Feige said so. I get some people are dissapointed by this but there are some over-reactions going on over at CBM. I never knew Pym was such a huge and beloved character. This is all news to me.
I tried going there but couldn't get to their forum without signing up and I just don't feel like joining.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #75
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

This surprised the heck out of me today, very interested in seeing how this movie will turn out. Specially if they go with the rumor that is floating around about Hanks true role in the movie