The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

View Poll Results: Should Fisher, Hamill, and Ford be the main characters of the trilogy?
Yes 20 47.62%
No 18 42.86%
Maybe 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2014, 05:25 AM   #1
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Default Should Fisher, Hamill, and Ford have major or minor roles?

Apparently JJ Abrams is expanding the role of Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford to be the main focus.

No offense, but wouldn't focusing on three older characters for most of the trilogy alienate people who didn't grow up with the OT?

I'm not saying avoid OT actors/characters completely but maybe they should only be mentors to younger characters rather than the main focus.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
Raven X
Nevermore

Default Re: Should Fisher, Hamill, and Ford have major or minor roles?

they should have major roles, but they shouldn't be the main focus.

Disney Lover!!
Raven X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I do not care for the size of their roles, as long as it does not involve them participating in any major fight scenes. Han is fine, because all he did was shoot people in the O[nly] Trilogy. Since they are presumably going to be following the Jedi route with Luke and Leia, I hope they do not have them participating in any major ground battles. They should look to the O[nly] Trilogy for references on the length and scale of the lightsaber/force battles. I do not want to have to sit through thirty minutes of watching someoneone who belongs on an AARP cover jumping around the screen like they were twenty. It was bad enough watching the Dooku and Emperor's battles...I do not want to go through that again.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Major minor roles.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Bim
Side-Kick

I vote for them to be secondary characters, not main ones.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

I don't mind them being the focus for VII, as long as they don't give them a proper send off by killing them here, and move them into the background for the sequels. If in XI they want to let them go their own ways, die of natural causes, or get killed off in a fitting way, I'll be ok with that by then, so any further sequels can continue to focus on the new cast we hopefully grow to love.

I do agree though, I'd limit their ground battle time, a tleast Luke and Leia. Ford is in such good shape, I don't mind at all, but I'll have to see what Hamill and Fisher look like at time of filming.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
Loki882
Side-Kick

I don't mind them having big roles in Episode VII. You can establish a dynamic between them and the new characters and see why Luke/Leia/and Han would see these newbies as worthy successors. In other words, a true "passing the torch" film. Then, in Episode VIII and IX, the Big Three can move more into the background and the new cast becomes the main focus. It's actually a pretty smart strategy.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Sithborg
Side-Kick

The difficulty is, that in order to focus the story on the new characters, you shouldn't have the big 3 in the movie. I don't see how you can have these iconic characters in the move, and not overshadow the new characters There needs to be an actual passing of the torch to the new cast.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
they should have major roles, but they shouldn't be the main focus.
This.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

I think the main draw is the "big three".Make their part as big as humanly possible.Let us get to know the next Gen gradually.Otherwise,I guarantee,it'll feel like a Mutt Williams movie with an Indy cameo.No one wants to see that.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #11
Happy Jack
Iconographer

I'd rather they left enough room for the new characters to flourish, if that is an option.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I think the main draw is the "big three".Make their part as big as humanly possible.Let us get to know the next Gen gradually.Otherwise,I guarantee,it'll feel like a Mutt Williams movie with an Indy cameo.No one wants to see that.

That is probably the main reason JJ decided to change it like this last minute. Just for comfort/familiarity purposes and use the original three as the main draw.

Meh. I am a bit skeptical about making the old timers leads again. I would rather see them in strong supporting roles like Guinness was in a New Hope. Ford can handle himself, but I'm not sure about Hamill and especially Fisher. Fisher has been a hot mess for awhile now unfortunately.

Last edited by NoLaNitE007; 01-15-2014 at 05:42 PM.
NoLaNitE007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I disagree. I reckon the main draw is the continuation of the Star Wars story; regardless of whether the "big three" appear in it or not. For most of the audience, they did not grow up with the Original Trilogy. Instead, they are likely to be more familiar with the far more recent Prequel Trilogy, and its assorted media.

In that respect, the "big three" hold no special significance to them. Rather, it is Anakin Skywalker a.k.a. Darth Vader who they see as the pivotal character of the franchise; seeing as how he is the one feature across all six movies (assuming they've even watched the Original Trilogy in the first place).

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Octoberist
point blank

But with any generation, you can always create and change perceptions with ease. In waves actually. If you look at Star Wars Rebels, or even the plans for the Disney parks, there's barely anything related to the Prequels; I think it was deliberate.

Right now, it's hard not for me to think of Sherlock Holmes without thinking the BBC show, the Downey movie, or even the CBS shows. Kids today probably don't have a clue about the deer cap wearing version with the buffoonish Watson.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Precisely; hence why I feel the addition of Luke, Han and Leia - let alone the decision to feature them as leads for the first movie - is more a wish fulfillment for Abrams (who is old enough to have grown up watching the Original Trilogy when it came out) than a move to appeal to the new movies' actual audience.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #16
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

No, I'd prefer that they have supporting roles.

Duran Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I don't think it would necessarily alienate new viewers, if it's done right.

Though given their ages, they won't be the leads.

I have no problem with them in major roles, depending how it's handled. If Luke is like a mentor, that's fine by me.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Octoberist
point blank

To be frank, we're still in the dark. The fact that the 'Trio' are front and center could be an exaggeration.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
flickchick85
Loose Seal

As soon as I read that this was the issue that drove Michael Arndt away, I said, "uh oh." Because I trust Arndt's instincts as a screenwriter more than Abrams, especially since Abrams is in true nostalgic fanboy territory here, even more than he was with Super 8. I mean, he's always cited his primary inspirations as The Twilight Zone and Star Wars. It definitely sounds a bit to me like J.J.'s inner-fanboy is getting the better of him with this new direction, as I don't think making the original players the primary focus is the wisest way to go. Major characters? Sure. But not the focus. I mean, it's still early and I'm certainly open to it, but it just doesn't sound like a great idea to me at this time.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #20
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
As soon as I read that this was the issue that drove Michael Arndt away, I said, "uh oh." Because I trust Arndt's instincts as a screenwriter more than Abrams, especially since Abrams is in true nostalgic fanboy territory here, even more than he was with Super 8. I mean, he's always cited his primary inspirations as The Twilight Zone and Star Wars. It definitely sounds a bit to me like J.J.'s inner-fanboy is getting the better of him with this new direction, as I don't think making the original players the primary focus is the wisest way to go. Major characters? Sure. But not the focus. I mean, it's still early and I'm certainly open to it, but it just doesn't sound like a great idea to me at this time.
That's all speculation in part. Regardless Disney went with JJ, when they could have just canned his ass. They have more riding on it then anyone. If the first SW out of the gate is bad, it will be hard to recover for that. Ardnt is a good screenwriter but he's not "perfect" Actually rumor from many of these same sources said that one big problem with Ardnt's is it seemed more like an apology letter more so then just it's own story. Also you do have to remember Ardnt was a self proclaimed huge fanboy as well. So to think that he was above it while JJ was not ehh I dunno. I love Toy Story 3 but it relied on tons of nostalgia as well. So that really cancels it out.

As I said before Ardnt's script apparently had one scene with Luke in it at the end. And more in VIII. JJ seemed to want to change that where the passing of the torch was before VIII. Also you have to understand that THR has been wrong and IMO over-exaggerating every single SW7 story as has Devin and everyone else for what?....HITS. I think there is too much jumping to conclusions and everyone turning on JJ as quick as they can.

I love how some are saying that people are more familiar with the PT then the OT....I would say most kids have watched all, very few probably just watched the PT. That and now most kids don't even know the PT, they know superheroes and could care less about SW right now. Kids did not know Trek and JJ did a good job balancing it to introduce people that have never been into that world while keeping true to the characters. JJ has actually done that well.

I think JJ knows a lot is riding on it, I again think people are jumping to conclusions where we know nothing. And people trying to rib on JJ for his past nostalgic trips.

Again I think Luke is being made to be more central to the passing of a torch which we all thought it would be, but Ardnt's script seemed to do it at a later date. Which just was going to be this way eventually. Or just having a cheesy onetime cameo which goes against the big three's proactive nature.

Also people are undermining Larry Kasdan being in there, the man is not a fanboy he helped create so much of what we loved.

EDIT: Also Octoberist had that article of JJ a few months ago saying he does not want re-tread, he wants to go to new worlds, and new stories with SW not rehashing it.

Last edited by Solidus; 01-15-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #21
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

^ Good Post.

I frankly don't see how having more of the original cast is a bad thing.

I mean,do you really look forward to three unknown characters play-acting in a Star Wars movie,or Luke Han & Leia continuing the saga that basically revolved around them?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
But with any generation, you can always create and change perceptions with ease. In waves actually. If you look at Star Wars Rebels, or even the plans for the Disney parks, there's barely anything related to the Prequels; I think it was deliberate.

Right now, it's hard not for me to think of Sherlock Holmes without thinking the BBC show, the Downey movie, or even the CBS shows. Kids today probably don't have a clue about the deer cap wearing version with the buffoonish Watson.
My favorite Sherlock is Jeremy Brett, and I'm way too young to have seen those episodes when they first came out.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #23
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
That's all speculation in part. Regardless Disney went with JJ, when they could have just canned his ass. They have more riding on it then anyone. If the first SW out of the gate is bad, it will be hard to recover for that. Ardnt is a good screenwriter but he's not "perfect" Actually rumor from many of these same sources said that one big problem with Ardnt's is it seemed more like an apology letter more so then just it's own story. Also you do have to remember Ardnt was a self proclaimed huge fanboy as well. So to think that he was above it while JJ was not ehh I dunno. I love Toy Story 3 but it relied on tons of nostalgia as well. So that really cancels it out.

As I said before Ardnt's script apparently had one scene with Luke in it at the end. And more in VIII. JJ seemed to want to change that where the passing of the torch was before VIII. Also you have to understand that THR has been wrong and IMO over-exaggerating every single SW7 story as has Devin and everyone else for what?....HITS. I think there is too much jumping to conclusions and everyone turning on JJ as quick as they can.

I love how some are saying that people are more familiar with the PT then the OT....I would say most kids have watched all, very few probably just watched the PT. That and now most kids don't even know the PT, they know superheroes and could care less about SW right now. Kids did not know Trek and JJ did a good job balancing it to introduce people that have never been into that world while keeping true to the characters. JJ has actually done that well.

I think JJ knows a lot is riding on it, I again think people are jumping to conclusions where we know nothing. And people trying to rib on JJ for his past nostalgic trips.

Again I think Luke is being made to be more central to the passing of a torch which we all thought it would be, but Ardnt's script seemed to do it at a later date. Which just was going to be this way eventually. Or just having a cheesy onetime cameo which goes against the big three's proactive nature.

Also people are undermining Larry Kasdan being in there, the man is not a fanboy he helped create so much of what we loved.

EDIT: Also Octoberist had that article of JJ a few months ago saying he does not want re-tread, he wants to go to new worlds, and new stories with SW not rehashing it.
I didn't suggest it was anything other than speculation. I'm just reacting to this news based on my past experiences with the work of both Abrams and Arndt. I never said anything about Arndt being "perfect," I just simply think he is the better screenwriter of the two, and therefore I have more faith in his judgement than in J.J.'s (who's always been hit-or-miss with me, and his fanboyish tendencies are largely to blame for that). And I just happen to think Arndt's approach to the story sounded better anyway.

For the record, I'm not "turning on J.J." I'm still sure whatever he churns out will be a breath of fresh air to this franchise compared to what George most recently gave us in the prequels. But that doesn't mean I have to love every decision he makes, either.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 01-16-2014 at 12:15 AM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #24
Octoberist
point blank

I have to admit that I share some of FlickChick's concerns.

JJ is a smart and creative man, but he too is a man of power in Hollywood. While I enjoyed Super 8, which had great performances, it did suffer a weak 3rd act and a certain amount of self-indulgence. Where as I thought a better Amblin inspired film was 'Attack the Block'; it was able to pay homage while creating something new and different. Again, I'm a big fan of 'Super 8' but isn't it weird that no one talks about it in general?

Then there's also Star Trek Into Darkness. Again, not a bad film but it was just uninspired if you had to break it down. It felt like JJ loved the cast..the world, not so much.

But I like JJ. And he's with Lawerance Kasdan and Kathy Kennedy, and I'm sure they'll be there to guide along the way..but even then, if the reports are true, he kicked off Arndt because he had his way. Hmmmm. He just seems to be a guy who wants what's best for the project but can be difficult to deal with if he doesn't get his way. Hopefully Kennedy is able to say 'NO' to him.

Last edited by Octoberist; 01-16-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:00 AM   #25
Octoberist
point blank

But like what Solidus said, there's many contradictions to the reports and rumors we're been hearing, especially with JJ wanting to discover new themes and worlds in that one interview he did back in November. We'll see. I won't pass judgment on the man.