The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-21-2014, 04:33 AM   #76
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Race and Gender in Marvel Movies - an all studios discussion

Wait they made him Iron Patriot in the comics?

I hate that they keep changing stuff in the comic so fit the movies.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #77
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Wait they made him Iron Patriot in the comics?

I hate that they keep changing stuff in the comic so fit the movies.
It makes sense to try it out the moniker though

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #78
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
I kinda disagree with this. In the end it's up to the publisher who they want to push. Matt Fraction did a brilliant run with Iron Fist in recent years, Dan Abnett aswell with Nova and Rick Remender with Venom.

All were cancelled after a year or two, Nova was even replaced with a punk kid. But the flagships like Spider-Man and Wolverine are never cancelled just relaunched.

Those three I mentioned and others had built up fanbases and could've gone the distance to become A-listers, if they kept up with them.
What you said doesn't contradict anything I said. It takes hard work, a great writer, and time.

Those characters didn't make it to the big leagues because the time wasn't put in. Give them a 10-15 year run, and they would. Those 2-3 year runs didn't make them A-listers.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #79
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
Believe me, I'm not under any delusion that Monica Rambeau will appear in a phase 3 movie. Or phase 4. Or phase 5. Or ever. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I'm not expecting it. I was just stating what I would like to see instead of the practice of altering caucasian superheroes in order to diversify a film (or even a comic book series). I was using Monica as an example, as she is my favorite heroine.

I do agree that Marvel Comics does a fairly decent job with Black characters, though. Black Panther, Storm and Luke Cage have been prominent characters in recent years. The Mighty Avengers title has assembled a cast of primarily Black characters. And even Marvel Studios has included War Machine and now Falcon in their films. They're giving Luke Cage his own Netflix series before the Defenders team-up...who knows what will happen with him from there? So, yes...Marvel's not TERRIBLE, but things could be better.

It's only natural for someone to want to go to the movies and see a character who looks like themselves in a lead role (I can only imagine what Latinos, Asians and other ethic groups must feel). That's why many of us are anxious to see Marvel finally get a Black Panther film into production. In my opinion, the first Black superhero in comics should also be the first to lead his own MCU film.
I think Black Panther has a very good chance at a Phase 3 film. He's one of the 60s Avengers, and Marvel seems to be doing a lot of leg work getting most of the 60s Avengers on screen before the big showdown with Thanos (Black Knight, Hercules, and Swordsman will probably be left out...but those aren't huge losses.)

If Marvel REALLY has cold feet about Black Panther, a great way to handle him would be introduce him in Captain America 3 so he can be in Avengers 3 in time for the big battle with Thanos (I'm VERY stuck on this...I NEED Black Panther and Vision in Avengers 3.) After this, give him a solo movie. If he's portrayed awesomely in a 500-600 M grossing Cap film, and a $1.5 B grossing Avengers film, it will launch Panther into a guaranteed $400 M + grossing solo venture in phase 4, with sequels and Avengers appearances from 2017-2025.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative

Last edited by KangConquers; 01-21-2014 at 09:38 AM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #80
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
I think I've posted about this topic somewhere on this site before, but it could have been elsewhere. I'll try to be as brief as possible.

My general preference is that filmmakers remain true to the source material when casting actors for a film. There are exceptions, but that is usually my preference. That's also my preference in the source material itself.

I'm African-American, so I will speak specifically to the practice of altering characters to appeal to someone like me. Personally, I don't want a Black Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spiderman, Captain America or Iron Man on screen or in the comics. I want filmmakers, comic book publishers and animators to make me care about Black characters that already exist, and I want them to continue to create new Black characters. Help me to become even more invested in Black Lightning, Vixen, Monica Rambeau, Falcon, Bumblebee and Static. Make me care more about Cloak, Icon, Luke Cage, Blue Marvel, Mal Duncan, Falcon, Misty Knight, etc.

I'm not saying Michael B. Jordan wouldn't be good as Johnny Storm. He's a talented actor...I'm sure he'd be great. I'm not saying that Samuel L. Jackson, Kerry Washington, Michael Clarke Duncan and Laurence Fishburne didn't do well as Nick Fury, Alicia Masters, Kingpin and Perry White. Again, tremendous actors...of course they were awesome. I'm just saying that even though the end results of these decisions generally work out very well, I'd still prefer to see these characters portrayed as they were originally intended by their creators.

My desire is not "hey, we need to diversify the Avengers in future films, so let's cast a Black woman as Wasp!" My desire is for Marvel Comics and animation to make someone like Monica Rambeau so undeniably awesome that the directors/writers of future MCU films think to themselves "what an amazing character...how could we not include her?"
I think this is a beautiful idea, but honestly, it seems idealistic. What in the world could anyone do in the next three years to put Monica Rambeau on the level of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Captain America, where she is equally demanded and necessary in the Avengers? That's not rhetorical, that's a serious question.

With Ms. Marvel, they gave her two solo series, one of which is exceptionally good, a gorgeous prominent arc in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon and continue to feature her as a leader with tons of great relationships in the MarvelU, GOTG soon to be included. And do you know what happened? Few people buy the exceptional DeConnick run and Whedon says "we don't need another puncher, I'd rather have Tigra." Ms. Marvel, despite great efforts and writing and prominence isn't even as necessary to the Avengers as Hawkeye, much less Ant-Man. The fact is, that white males characters are the core, they are the ones tied to the center of the story. There's no more room at the center of the story. You either leave non white males on the unnecessary edges of the story, or you switch out some white males for some non white males.

This extends to the hearts and minds of the audience. No one can make you care about anything. If you already care about ten awesome superheroes, why would you care about another one anyway? I love Black Panther and Storm and War Machine. What can anyone do to make me care about Night Thrasher as much? Nothing. Same goes for if I love Iron Man, Thor and Captain America and someone wants to make me care about Black Panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Well,if there's a positive for the Michael Douglas casting,maybe it'll put an end to the "If you don't want Michael B Jordan as Human Torch you must be racist" thing.Here we have a famous (white) Oscar winner getting the heat from purists because of being miscast.It's not a race OR age thing.It's wanting to see the character translated from the page to the screen as closely as possible.
That addresses racist intent, but not racist actions. If I decide I'm going to get rid of all the poor neighborhoods in my city, I'm going to end up hurting a lot of black people, because years before, someone with racist intent made them end up there... or maybe they didn't have racist intent, maybe they were just trying to keep the status quo and someone before them made sure that black people were in a position that these were the only homes available for blacks.

If all we address is racist intent, we can literally commit genocide and say 'well, they were just in the wrong place in the wrong time, I'm just trying to keep the peace.' This was the reasoning behind the indifference to racism in the 50s. Even today, our ancestors robbed the poor of education and we then say 'well, if they just knew better, they wouldn't have these problems.'

We don't have to intend to perpetuate racism to do so. We just have to ignore racism in history.

In this case, the fact is that the largely white male cast of superherodom and the centrality of the white male superhero figures is a result, directly or indirectly of racism. Are we going to perpetuate that racism under the banner of status quo and just say 'well, this is the way it just happens to be' even though it's not a coincidence at all? Or are we actually going to write stories for the current generation where the idea of 'separate but equal' becomes more and more ridiculous in our together but unequal world?

Quote:
Why do you guys think there haven't been any non-Caucasian or non-male superhero movies in so long?

They have options with John Stewart, Cyborg, Black Panther, Luke Cage, War Machine, Ultimate Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Ms Marvel. Yet none of these (except Rhodes) has been introduced as even a supporting character let alone leading a movie.

War Machine is in prime position to lead a movie, yet nothing.

People would say "instead of changing the race of an existing character just introduce characters that are already that race"

But the studios aren't, they've all been selecting only white males as the leads, why?
Because those are the safest bets, same reason you don't see many original properties but a lot of sequels, remakes and twists on other popular stories. This is the same reason they're working on a World of Warcraft movie and, not, I dunno, a The Secret World movie. Safer bets lead to more box office. Why make a movie that will get a 500M return when you can make a different movie of the same quality that will get a Billion dollar return?

And War Machine was not in a prime position, he's still a sub-Iron man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
There was honestly more ongoing solo minority comics in the 90's than there is now which is slightly odd.

Not all of them lasted more than a couple of years but Blade, War Machine, Steel, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Bishop all had solo comics.

Mister Terrific and Static Shock didn't last long. Miles Morles (Ultimate Spider Man) is going ok and War Machine is getting another shot at an ongoing under the Iron Patriot name.

It is strange that more original black solo hero books don't do better. I wonder why that is?
You also saw more cool black movies back in the 80s and 90s. Things have been going backwards on that front. I have no idea why that is. There doesn't seem to be any explicit cause.

What I'd like to see.

I'd like to see film studios respond to fan requests for minority/women solo heroes, as well as take advantage of the dearth of them in the market to make a big splash and earn lots of goodwill as pioneers and whatnot. Or as hangers on to get another minority hero since Competitor is doing so well with that.

Marvel Studios - Black Panther
This is their next/last big one. This is the stealth master martial arts epic. This is the MCU's Batman. He is scary, he's thematic, he's epic, he's fighting lots of people, and not just with punches and kicks, but in a new gadget laden martial arts style that takes advantage of Vibranium's unique properties making for some truly epic truly interesting martial sequences with S'yan, some mercenaries, M'Baka on two occasions, the Dora Milaje, traitorous Wakandans and of course Ulysses S. Klaw himself.

Marvel Studios - Dr. Strange
I know they want Johnny Depp. I don't want him, or Helena Bonham Carter in the MCU, personally. Get Antonio Banderas. Keep all else the same.

Marvel Studios - Inhumans
This would be MS's supernatural thriller, centering squarely on Crystal as the lead, with a royal court made up of varied races of actors. I would strongly consider making that core family: Blackbolt, Medusa, Maximus and Crystal to be Asian. Regardless, the royal court would be quite diverse. It'd be based on Inhumanity but would probably lean more towards True Blood than Game of Thrones.

Marvel Studios - SPECTRUM
This is my personal dream. I asked earlier what someone would do... what I would do is make a Monica Rambeau cartoon to the tune of My Little Pony Friendship is magic, (except here, Science is Magic) and make her a standout character in the Mighty Avengers comic. I'd also release a AAA video game for her. I'd make her the "new Coulson" for the MCU and have her played by someone awesome, like Kerry Washington, with her Olivia Pope-sized popularity rush. Then, after a few years of this, they'd ask me for a movie. The supporting cast and villains and high expectations for cool power usage would all be established by then. I'd make sure her power/macguffin was crucial to the plot of the next Avengers movie (ie, she's the power source for Kang's time machine or something). I would not rush this process. But that's just me.

Marvel Studios - Black Widow
I would make Black Widow the third movie of the year for the first time, like the second-and-a-half movie with a more modest 80M budget and a hard spy theme, with her disguise, subterfuge, sabotage and wordplay abilities unparalleled as she took on some defunct Russian supersoldiers to prevent them from retaking the world. Moral quandries. Perhaps even consider making it rated R.

Sony - Prowler
I actually made a thread for this. Let Prowler be the 'that guy' of the Spidey Universe. The guy that is sort of the 'real, popular superhero' to contrast with Spider-Man. This would be a lower budget film though.

WB/DC - Wonder Woman
Thor meets Resident Evil. Cast a truly talented actress in it, take the look as it comes, and rock the modern fantasy out of that. Don't make the Percy Jackson mistake and make it fun,

WB/DC - Zatanna
I know WB mentioned some low end movies. Zatanna would be utterly ideal for that. Also, they could switch it up and do another companion series to Arrow and Flash, with Zatanna a young lady having some very Charmed-like adventures with a Buffy social life.

WB/DC - Green Lantern
Hire the Rock as John Stewart. Pit him against Yellow Lantern Mongul in space. Star Trek (not Star Wars) meets X-Men. Extra points for Freida Pinto as Katma Tui.

Fox - X-Men Origins: Storm
I know the last origins tanked, but man, I think Storm has the second most interesting backstory of all the X-Men. It's so varied, it reads more like a biopic than a superhero comic. That'd be a great film to see for me. I'm sure Fox will continue to feature diversities in their Wolverine-centered supporting casts.

Columbia - Hancock 2
I've heard whispers of it. Let's see some more. Give me Hancock's "Lex Luthor" some kind of superhero-hunter with unlimited resources. I'm sure Charlize would return, and we could actually delve into the mythology a bit.

Now if these studios would just follow these simple instructions, they could significantly influence society's conversation and perception of race in just 5 years. Get on it, fellas.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 01-21-2014 at 09:56 AM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #81
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
There was honestly more ongoing solo minority comics in the 90's than there is now which is slightly odd.

Not all of them lasted more than a couple of years but Blade, War Machine, Steel, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Bishop all had solo comics.

Mister Terrific and Static Shock didn't last long. Miles Morles (Ultimate Spider Man) is going ok and War Machine is getting another shot at an ongoing under the Iron Patriot name.

It is strange that more original black solo hero books don't do better. I wonder why that is?
Mainly, its because toxic nostalgia largely took over the industry, especially at DC. Everything must be made like it was when the current PTB were kids, and that often meant wiping away the successor characters introduced in the 90s.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #82
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
What you said doesn't contradict anything I said. It takes hard work, a great writer, and time.

Those characters didn't make it to the big leagues because the time wasn't put in. Give them a 10-15 year run, and they would. Those 2-3 year runs didn't make them A-listers.
Agreed.

I've heard people complain about some C-D list characters lacking depth but if they had good writers putting in the solid characterization that A List characters get then they would be much better all round characters and be more popular.

If you make a character relatable, interesting, entertaining, ect then people will buy into that character.

If I was a comic writer I would love to write a lesser known character and see if I could make them popular. I would see coming up with an interesting angle on some lesser known characters as a interesting challenge.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #83
shiva666
art designer

Quote:
If I was a comic writer I would love to write a lesser known character and see if I could make them popular. I would see coming up with an interesting angle on some lesser known characters as a interesting challenge.
So much this, in my opinion: 100-500 page paperbacks. One story, one approach, one universe. They have the huge list of copyrighted characters, give artists a chance to work them.

I feel race and sex to be such a small fraction of the bigger problem: diversity.
Diversity of story subjects and themes, of character shapes and builds, of age, of cultures, of graphic styles, of aimed audience. It is as if manga, indies and so on never existed to them...

shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #84
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^So very very agreed. The diversity issue is actually bigger than race or gender.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #85
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva666 View Post
So much this, in my opinion: 100-500 page paperbacks. One story, one approach, one universe. They have the huge list of copyrighted characters, give artists a chance to work them.

I feel race and sex to be such a small fraction of the bigger problem: diversity.
Diversity of story subjects and themes, of character shapes and builds, of age, of cultures, of graphic styles, of aimed audience. It is as if manga, indies and so on never existed to them...
I agree.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #86
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I think this is a beautiful idea, but honestly, it seems idealistic. What in the world could anyone do in the next three years to put Monica Rambeau on the level of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Captain America, where she is equally demanded and necessary in the Avengers? That's not rhetorical, that's a serious question.

With Ms. Marvel, they gave her two solo series, one of which is exceptionally good, a gorgeous prominent arc in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon and continue to feature her as a leader with tons of great relationships in the MarvelU, GOTG soon to be included. And do you know what happened? Few people buy the exceptional DeConnick run and Whedon says "we don't need another puncher, I'd rather have Tigra." Ms. Marvel, despite great efforts and writing and prominence isn't even as necessary to the Avengers as Hawkeye, much less Ant-Man. The fact is, that white males characters are the core, they are the ones tied to the center of the story. There's no more room at the center of the story. You either leave non white males on the unnecessary edges of the story, or you switch out some white males for some non white males.

This extends to the hearts and minds of the audience. No one can make you care about anything. If you already care about ten awesome superheroes, why would you care about another one anyway? I love Black Panther and Storm and War Machine. What can anyone do to make me care about Night Thrasher as much? Nothing. Same goes for if I love Iron Man, Thor and Captain America and someone wants to make me care about Black Panther.

That addresses racist intent, but not racist actions. If I decide I'm going to get rid of all the poor neighborhoods in my city, I'm going to end up hurting a lot of black people, because years before, someone with racist intent made them end up there... or maybe they didn't have racist intent, maybe they were just trying to keep the status quo and someone before them made sure that black people were in a position that these were the only homes available for blacks.

If all we address is racist intent, we can literally commit genocide and say 'well, they were just in the wrong place in the wrong time, I'm just trying to keep the peace.' This was the reasoning behind the indifference to racism in the 50s. Even today, our ancestors robbed the poor of education and we then say 'well, if they just knew better, they wouldn't have these problems.'

We don't have to intend to perpetuate racism to do so. We just have to ignore racism in history.

In this case, the fact is that the largely white male cast of superherodom and the centrality of the white male superhero figures is a result, directly or indirectly of racism. Are we going to perpetuate that racism under the banner of status quo and just say 'well, this is the way it just happens to be' even though it's not a coincidence at all? Or are we actually going to write stories for the current generation where the idea of 'separate but equal' becomes more and more ridiculous in our together but unequal world?

Because those are the safest bets, same reason you don't see many original properties but a lot of sequels, remakes and twists on other popular stories. This is the same reason they're working on a World of Warcraft movie and, not, I dunno, a The Secret World movie. Safer bets lead to more box office. Why make a movie that will get a 500M return when you can make a different movie of the same quality that will get a Billion dollar return?

And War Machine was not in a prime position, he's still a sub-Iron man.

You also saw more cool black movies back in the 80s and 90s. Things have been going backwards on that front. I have no idea why that is. There doesn't seem to be any explicit cause.

What I'd like to see.

I'd like to see film studios respond to fan requests for minority/women solo heroes, as well as take advantage of the dearth of them in the market to make a big splash and earn lots of goodwill as pioneers and whatnot. Or as hangers on to get another minority hero since Competitor is doing so well with that.

Marvel Studios - Black Panther
This is their next/last big one. This is the stealth master martial arts epic. This is the MCU's Batman. He is scary, he's thematic, he's epic, he's fighting lots of people, and not just with punches and kicks, but in a new gadget laden martial arts style that takes advantage of Vibranium's unique properties making for some truly epic truly interesting martial sequences with S'yan, some mercenaries, M'Baka on two occasions, the Dora Milaje, traitorous Wakandans and of course Ulysses S. Klaw himself.

Marvel Studios - Dr. Strange
I know they want Johnny Depp. I don't want him, or Helena Bonham Carter in the MCU, personally. Get Antonio Banderas. Keep all else the same.

Marvel Studios - Inhumans
This would be MS's supernatural thriller, centering squarely on Crystal as the lead, with a royal court made up of varied races of actors. I would strongly consider making that core family: Blackbolt, Medusa, Maximus and Crystal to be Asian. Regardless, the royal court would be quite diverse. It'd be based on Inhumanity but would probably lean more towards True Blood than Game of Thrones.

Marvel Studios - SPECTRUM
This is my personal dream. I asked earlier what someone would do... what I would do is make a Monica Rambeau cartoon to the tune of My Little Pony Friendship is magic, (except here, Science is Magic) and make her a standout character in the Mighty Avengers comic. I'd also release a AAA video game for her. I'd make her the "new Coulson" for the MCU and have her played by someone awesome, like Kerry Washington, with her Olivia Pope-sized popularity rush. Then, after a few years of this, they'd ask me for a movie. The supporting cast and villains and high expectations for cool power usage would all be established by then. I'd make sure her power/macguffin was crucial to the plot of the next Avengers movie (ie, she's the power source for Kang's time machine or something). I would not rush this process. But that's just me.

Marvel Studios - Black Widow
I would make Black Widow the third movie of the year for the first time, like the second-and-a-half movie with a more modest 80M budget and a hard spy theme, with her disguise, subterfuge, sabotage and wordplay abilities unparalleled as she took on some defunct Russian supersoldiers to prevent them from retaking the world. Moral quandries. Perhaps even consider making it rated R.

Sony - Prowler
I actually made a thread for this. Let Prowler be the 'that guy' of the Spidey Universe. The guy that is sort of the 'real, popular superhero' to contrast with Spider-Man. This would be a lower budget film though.

WB/DC - Wonder Woman
Thor meets Resident Evil. Cast a truly talented actress in it, take the look as it comes, and rock the modern fantasy out of that. Don't make the Percy Jackson mistake and make it fun,

WB/DC - Zatanna
I know WB mentioned some low end movies. Zatanna would be utterly ideal for that. Also, they could switch it up and do another companion series to Arrow and Flash, with Zatanna a young lady having some very Charmed-like adventures with a Buffy social life.

WB/DC - Green Lantern
Hire the Rock as John Stewart. Pit him against Yellow Lantern Mongul in space. Star Trek (not Star Wars) meets X-Men. Extra points for Freida Pinto as Katma Tui.

Fox - X-Men Origins: Storm
I know the last origins tanked, but man, I think Storm has the second most interesting backstory of all the X-Men. It's so varied, it reads more like a biopic than a superhero comic. That'd be a great film to see for me. I'm sure Fox will continue to feature diversities in their Wolverine-centered supporting casts.

Columbia - Hancock 2
I've heard whispers of it. Let's see some more. Give me Hancock's "Lex Luthor" some kind of superhero-hunter with unlimited resources. I'm sure Charlize would return, and we could actually delve into the mythology a bit.

Now if these studios would just follow these simple instructions, they could significantly influence society's conversation and perception of race in just 5 years. Get on it, fellas.
Don't think I can disagree with anything you have said.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #87
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

'd love to see Daken Akihiro in the future Wolverine movie.

Marvel_SKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #88
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I wanna see Yukio return to the franchise.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #89
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Me too, I loved her. I think it's great she wasn't used as a love interest or some sort of eye candy.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #90
Loki882
Side-Kick

Well Mariko WAS the love interest and she was still interesting and awesome, so those two things aren't automatically mutually exclusive.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #91
cph9fa
Side-Kick

I came across this article today, which reports on this statistical analysis of Marvel body type distribution, by BMI. It quantifies what everyone already knows.
Quote:
All female characters in the sampling were either under a healthy BMI or incredibly low on the healthy spectrum. The male characters showed a very wide range on the BMI scale, and not one of them was underweight.

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #92
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Here's something to chew on:

- Why are the studios who have Superhero films, Marvel, Fox, Sony and WB reluctant to cast Black women in Superhero films? If you combine all of the superhero films of the last few years, only two are prominent in Halle Berry and Zoe Saldana. They don't have to be superheroes necessarily. They can play villains or even the love interest.

Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #93
Shakel92
Side-Kick

I thought Zoe Saldana was green, not black.

Shakel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #94
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post

- Why are the studios who have Superhero films, Marvel, Fox, Sony and WB reluctant to cast Black women in Superhero films? If you combine all of the superhero films of the last few years, only two are prominent in Halle Berry and Zoe Saldana. They don't have to be superheroes necessarily. They can play villains or even the love interest.
Zoe Kravitz (2011). That's the only other I can think of.

Not black but there was two female Asian ladies in The Wolverine. Another Asian lady in DOFP.

I think Blink, Gamora & Storm are the only non-Caucasian females upcoming

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-20-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #95
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post

thx to "respectability politics" blacks aren't generally fans of blacks playing the villain especially opposite of a white hero so I can see why studios might not want to go that way.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #96
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

They had a black villain in Thor 2, and upcoming in GOTG.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #97
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
They had a black villain in Thor 2, and upcoming in GOTG.
And the first Daredevil movie

Old 02-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #98
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Kerry Washington played Alicia Masters in Tim Story's Fantastic Four films.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #99
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Jackson View Post
thx to "respectability politics" blacks aren't generally fans of blacks playing the villain especially opposite of a white hero so I can see why studios might not want to go that way.
What utter bull****.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #100
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Jackson View Post
sounds like a complete fabrication. someone better tell Wesley Snipes that. because he played one helluva villain in Demolition Man.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote