The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #301
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 8

I don't care which gender, as long as there is good characterization. To me gender has no merit one way or the other. Since also we know the "new three" will be a mix.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #302
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
JJ confirmed that shooting will begin sometime around May, if not in May. Ali said April 22nd, Devin said May, and even Carrie Fisher said April. So regardless it is in a few months that filming actually starts. So I figure between now and early March we will start getting some casting news. Usually there is right before filming begins. Sometimes months and months in advanced, sometimes at least a month or so prior. It varies. But soon we will be getting casting, with the script completely done and locked, they are probably narrowing down very soon with casting.
I stopped believe Ali a long time ago actually. But we'll see.

He's been wrong about many a things for Episode 7. The PT don't count in this dojo.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #303
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I stopped believe Ali a long time ago actually. But we'll see.

He's been wrong about many a things for Episode 7. The PT don't count in this dojo.
I will admit this. I don't really think much of him anymore either. He had a bunch of "other" rumors at TFN that were completely false. Everything he has said (I gave him the benefit of the doubt so many times) has been flat out wrong. I think either his source is pulling his chain, or he's pulling ours.

I think his once sources are gone. But JJ did say May, Carrie said March/April. So I figure that even though Ali is guessing based off of others like Devin,'s statements. It seems late April/early May is when principal photography begins.

I saw Ali try to say that Episode VIII has been pushed back to 2019. Which made me laugh so hard. Maybe they will push it to May 2018 to get it back in the May spot. But he is pulling things out of his you know what now.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #304
Octoberist
point blank

I can believe that the spin-off movies will be pushed back though, along with Episode 8. I think Iger underestimated the pre-production for these films. Once Iger is gone in 2016, Disney can probably change the release dates.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #305
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
still waiting for the female lead...................
I totally agree with you. Both trilogies had male leads. And there is a lack of good, strong female characters in the SW films. I think it's time for some more awesome females and a female lead. Leia can't be the only female lead.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #306
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
I can believe that the spin-off movies will be pushed back though, along with Episode 8. I think Iger underestimated the pre-production for these films. Once Iger is gone in 2016, Disney can probably change the release dates.
No doubt about the spin-off's. I think that May 2018 will be the date for Episode VIII. But no way 2019 as Ali says he "believes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy99 View Post
I totally agree with you. Both trilogies had male leads. And there is a lack of good, strong female characters in the SW films. I think it's time for some more awesome females and a female lead. Leia can't be the only female lead.
And there will be. Out of the main three of the "new" there is a female involved.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #307
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

I support the lead character being a woman for a change. 6 movies revolve around men. The spin-off movies are going to revolve around male main characters. I'd like stories to go beyond the "white male saves the day" and elevate women and minorities and alien characters.

The made-up character description for codename "Rachel" sounded good. Like the type of character I'd write and put in the movie as the main character. The openness to casting someone non-white reminds me of Korra, the main character from The Legend of Korra.

A boring route would be a character copied after Luke named Ben (or whatever). Boring. Rehash.

And if THR is to be believed, the younger cast is taking a backseat to the oldies in Episode VII. No thanks.

Best case scenario below this line
Young Woman Main Character (not a descedent of Anakin Skywalker)
Young Woman Main Character (descendent of Anakin Skywalker)
Young Man Main Character (not a descendent of Anakin Skywalker)
Young Man Main Character (descendent of Anakin Skywalker)
Luke Skywalker Main Character
Worst case scenario above this line

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 02-02-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #308
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
I support the lead character being a woman for a change. 6 movies revolve around men. The spin-off movies are going to revolve around male main characters. I'd like stories to go beyond the "white male saves the day" and elevate women and minorities and alien characters.

The made-up character description for codename "Rachel" sounded good. Like the type of character I'd write and put in the movie as the main character. The openness to casting someone non-white reminds me of Korra, the main character from The Legend of Korra.

A boring route would be a character copied after Luke named Ben (or whatever). Boring. Rehash.

And if THR is to be believed, the younger cast is taking a backseat to the oldies in Episode VII. No thanks.

Best case scenario below this line
Young Woman Main Character (not a descedent of Anakin Skywalker)
Young Woman Main Character (descendent of Anakin Skywalker)
Young Man Main Character (not a descendent of Anakin Skywalker)
Young Man Main Character (descendent of Anakin Skywalker)
Luke Skywalker Main Character
Worst case scenarion above this line
And you saw JJ laugh at all the rumors. None of the big trades have had any of the "rumors" right. Many are just trying to get hits to those desperate.

Luke's role has been boosted up from a small cameo to more. But people are running wild. Even Pablo was laughing at all the rumors. So no. THR is not to be believed. All of them have been digging up half truths and trying to run with it because they want the hits. SW+any kind of news=massive hits.

Again I don't care what the gender is, as long as it's good. And it's not a "rehash" if they go male. You can make a rehash with a female, if it is the same characterization.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #309
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
I agree with this, but I want to add that the lack strong female characters extends to many films outside of SW. And when films do have "strong" female characters, they tend to overemphasize the physical strength and make the characters almost equally one-dimensional (same thing happens with male characters, too).

Seeing female characters relegated to either being the overpowered bad-ass or the love interest attached to the male lead is something that concerns me from time to time. I'd really like to see more variety especially in female leads, and I think this SW film can perhaps make a splash in the water, however big or small.

Leia was so memorable because she was smart, witty, perceptive, and brave. She was a leader.

Like you guys I'm hoping that the younger female lead in SW VII has many of these positive qualities, but that she is also flawed in some ways and we see her grow throughout the film(s).

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #310
Octoberist
point blank

I WOULD be nice to have a female lead. Also when you have a franchise this big doing it, it'll encourage other studios to follow suit with their films, etc. Shows like Legend of Korra, and movies like Frozen and Hunger Games prove that it can work as long as the product is good. It's fighting an outdated ideal if you want to see the big picture. But you're right, it's about making a good movie first. Whatever works.

That being said, it's not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice.

I do think the trades and other sites have their news not completely wrong or right. I think its' a mixture of true and false info, which is why it's so frustrating.

I believe Latino Review when they said the focus was shifted from the Solos to Skywalker, hence why I think LUKE is the main OT character that you can consider the main role along with his offspring. I think the Solo's roles have been beefed up, but not to the point where they're the main leads either.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #311
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

That and really the new "three" will all be "main leads" as the casting has shown. There may be one that is slightly more so but again it's not a deal breaker. But JJ has had a past of having really strong female leads, look at most of his TV shows. And if anyone will create some good female leads I can see it being him.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #312
Octoberist
point blank

I'm tryiing to wrap my mind around how they're going to juggle the leads. we'll see.

And yes, you're right. JJ's good with females. Except for Alice eve.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #313
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
I'm tryiing to wrap my mind around how they're going to juggle the leads. we'll see.

And yes, you're right. JJ's good with females. Except for Alice eve.
Ya that was bad lol. But other then that I think he's been really good with female leads.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #314
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

I'm hoping that the "main" female lead will be patterned after Jaina Solo, even if they ultimately go for a different name.

I liked the idea that the new trilogy would have focused on the Solo kids, although that seems to have been changed?

We've had 6 films focusing on the Skywalker families..........do we really need the next 3 films doing the same?

I can see them going for 1 Skywalker kid ( male ) and 1 Solo kid ( female ), at the very least.

and if there is a mixed-race female, maybe she can be Lando's daughter?

Disney Lover and Proud!!

Last edited by X Knight; 02-02-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #315
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
I'm hoping that the "main" female lead will be patterned after Jaina Solo, even if they ultimately go for a different name.

I liked the idea that the new trilogy would have focused on the Solo kids, although that seems to have been changed?

We've had 6 films focusing on the Skywalker families..........do we really need the next 3 films doing the same?

I can see them going for 1 Skywalker kid ( male ) and 1 Solo kid ( female ), at the very least.

and if there is a mixed-race female, maybe she can be Lando's daughter?
Actually we do. And even still Jania was a Skywalker in blood. But Luke is the main from the OT it is only right to pass it down from him. He was the one with that mission. And maybe in some ways, but for the most part there were good/bad things about Jania. Lando was not the only different race type in the galaxy either. Luke could very well have married a woman of different race.

Luke having a daughter or son would be more apt to create a much deeper relationship since Luke being probably the re builder of the Jedi and that being a big part of the films. The episodic ones do seem to follow the Skywalker lineage.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #316
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Luke having a daughter, instead of a son, would be nice.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #317
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Luke having a daughter, instead of a son, would be nice.
Again what matters is if it's well written, female/male it makes no difference. To me after the past trilogy I just want one thing at a time. And I just want really connect to the characters and have them be likable characters. Characters that really bounce off of one another. It would be nice to see a female (there will be at least 2 from casting it seems), but to me the main priority is something else.

Last edited by Solidus; 02-02-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #318
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Oh, I know what you're saying. and I agree.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #319
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Again what matters is if it's well written, female/male it makes no difference. To me after the past trilogy I just want one thing at a time. And I just want really connect to the characters and have them be likable characters. Characters that really bounce off of one another. It would be nice to see a female (there will be at least 2 from casting it seems), but to me the main priority is something else.
I totally get what your saying, but making the lead a female instead of a male DOES make a difference. The character could be written however, but making the character a woman just adds a tad more diversity compared to the past films.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #320
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
I totally get what your saying, but making the lead a female instead of a male DOES make a difference. The character could be written however, but making the character a woman just adds a tad more diversity compared to the past films.
yes.

plus it's always refreshing to see a strong, well written female lead. especially in a big franchise like SW.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #321
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
There is going to be multiple characters. And yes it gives it more diversity. But again people on the internet have one inherent problem, they set up what they think a film needs to be rather then just letting the film be what it is. When you build up a massive list then you automatically make yourself dislike anything that goes against it. Of course the main thing all of us want is a good movie with good characters. I don't care what race, gender, or ethnicity. There is going to be many characters we know there is some of the leads being women. Though as for the main main lead, we have no idea. But either way we all really just want good characters.

Limiting yourself one way or the other is just not good to do.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #322
batboy99
BTVS

Totally

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #323
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

With the slow drip drip drip of Star Wars Rebels news are we going to have to wait until all of that runs its course before Episode VII announcements?

Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #324
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

Quote:
It’s hard to believe it’s already been a year since we acquired the extraordinary Star Wars franchise, but we’re well on our way to expanding that epic saga to thrill fans and introduce its iconic characters to a new generation with fantastic new storylines. After months of public speculation and anticipation, we announced the official release date for the next feature film, Star Wars: Episode VII, will be December 18, 2015. So far we’ve kept the details to ourselves, but we’re thrilled with the story and committed to making an incredible movie, and we should be releasing more information as production moves forward in the coming year.

As with Marvel, the rich universe of Star Wars has tremendous creative potential for the entire company. While the world eagerly awaits Episode VII to open in theaters, we’re introducing Star Wars Rebels to television audiences this summer with a movie and a series of shorts on Disney Channel, followed by a continuing series on Disney XD. Our success in building a robust pipeline of original Star Wars content for various platforms will be an integral part of our long-term strategy to leverage the franchise across a variety of our businesses, from theme parks to consumer products.
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/site...-wrap-2013.pdf

Source: Jedi News

Old 02-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #325
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Yay Christmas-y Star Wars!

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Closed Thread