The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #51
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 8

BVS really has never caught my attention, it was not even in my top 5 for 2015. But I hope for the best with it. Nothing comes close to Episode VII for me, but Interstellar is probably my other, and am crossing my fingers for the new Terminator (but still very weary). Excited for Avengers as well, Godzilla, Dawn, DOFP as well.

And as for whoever the female is (who knows if it is a lead or not, I guess that's just been speculation so far). I'm sure they will get a good actress that is pretty as well.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #52
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
That's completely untrue. Fox does not have the majority control of ESB or ROTJ, ANH ya, but trust me they will work a deal with Disney. Lucas has no say in anything anymore, remember that he sold all the rights with LFL, and they have the final say? This was quoted and talked about in early 2013 by Business Insider and the whole Disney Buying LFL ordeal. There has already been lots of rumblings from blu-ray sites that yes probably in the next year or so we will get the theatrical cuts restored on blu. You do know the theatrical cuts are available on DVD? Though sadly laser disc quality.

And these are not continuity errors at all. Lucas retconned the entire thing changing his voice. This will allow the PT to stay intact but let us have the original voice.

Disney and Kathy have the final say in it. And Fox will do anything to make money off of new editions surrounding the hype of Episode VII. So yes ESB can only be changed by Lucasfilm Limited. No longer owned/controlled by Lucas.

That and Kasdan was rumored to be working on this in late 2012, who was hired by Lucas. So I'm sure Lucas knew about this whole ordeal.
Fox retains distribution rights to EBB and ROTJ for a while and they retain distribution rights to ANH indefinitely last I heard. I'm just not holding my breath that we get the original voice back and if we do does this really improve anything? It just further complicates the Boba story. Him being a clone was convoluted but not entirely cringeworthy. I could live with it. But having some random dude kill Boba and him be Boba but not actually be Boba...nah give just give me a new mando character or any new character for that matter and stop dicking with established canon. Boba is a clone we've weeped enough let's move on. Cause if they do this once who's to stop Disney doing it again when the actor decides to leave? They might just kill that Boba off again and get a new actor to put on the armor in a soft reboot style continuation so they can milk the name Boba some more. He lived once and he died the end. Time to bring in new characters. No more retconning.

And I wonder why these yoda spinoff stories restarted? Last I heard a yoda spin-off was off the table.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 01-18-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #53
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Fox retains distribution rights to EBB and ROTJ for a while and they retain distribution rights to ANH indefinitely last I heard. I'm just not holding my breath that we get the original voice back and if we do does this really improve anything? It just further complicates the Boba story. Him being a clone was convoluted but not entirely cringeworthy. I could live with it. But having some random dude kill Boba and him be Boba but not actually be Boba...nah give just give me a new mando character or any new character for that matter and stop dicking with established canon. Boba is a clone we've weeped enough let's move on. Cause if they do this once who's to stop Disney doing it again when the actor decides to leave? They might just kill that Boba off again and get a new actor to put on the armor in a soft reboot style continuation so they can milk the name Boba some more. He lived once and he died the end. Time to bring in new characters. No more retconning.

And I wonder why these yoda spinoff stories restarted? Last I heard a yoda spin-off was off the table.
Nah because it was not just the voice, yes see that's the whole core of the character. Is he is...a nobody, a stranger (western genre/Clint Eastwood style), it's what we need back into the character. It's what always drew a lot to him. It's not dicking with the canon, it's keeping both intact while creating an interesting new story that will focus on the character aspects of the OT version that people liked, again the "stranger" in the western genre type. Again I don't see it as retconning both sides of the characters and stories stay intact. You know for a while no matter what the spin-off's are not going to be brand new characters, they will be established ones for a little bit until they get more under their belt. It's not just about being mad about it, it's about having a cool story the Boba story that Joe Johnston (the actual creator of the character) and others have wanted to see for decades. I doubt they will milk beyond one Boba film anyways, after a while as you said I'm sure they will move on, and I will bet the Old Republic will be in the foreseeable future. They have tons of SW but this is one character people have wanted to see more of for decades. So nothing wrong with that as long as it's a good story. This I will bet is a one time thing, because many fans have wanted the OT Boba in something of his own.

And again with Kasdan writing it I'm on board if all of this is true, the man writes great SW. A good story is a good story.

As for distribution rights of Fox. Trust me. They want money. SW is no longer near them, and just like LFL has done in the past they know that new releases of films with in a series sell really well during this time. Leading into Episode VII, people will probably want to catch up at least with Luke and friends to get to that point. Just like prior to Episode II they released Episode I (the first SW on DVD) on DVD. Then before Episode III they released the OT on DVD. I'm sure they have plans for that. Fox will want to have one last chance to make some big money off of what they have. Because from now on they have no say, and they will play ball to them it's free money. Disney will probably do all the heavy lifting in terms of getting it out.

As for the theatricals, does it improve anything? Yes, It actually keeps the people that worked originally on it, their work stays intact. A lot of things have been changed already, gladly I'll see them changed back which I'll bet money they will. And a lot of us have wanted that for quite some time.

Last edited by Solidus; 01-18-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #54
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
But having some random dude kill Boba and him be Boba but not actually be Boba...
It doesn't have to be some random scumbag shivving Fett in a back alley and running off with his loot. Do people really think pro screenwriters and movie producers would think something like that was a good idea?

What if it's a partner or protege of Fett's that takes up the mantle?

Maybe he dons the name and armor to honor his friend, or to seek revenge on his behalf?

Maybe Fett asks him to do so? "Continue my legacy", etc.

Just saying, "he kills him and takes his stuff" is really vague and can be interpreted in lots of different ways. They aren't going to divulge details yet, this film is 4+ years away still.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #55
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I disagree that Whedon is clearly better than Abrams. If you think he's better then that's fine.
I find it difficult to say which one i like better, as they both are lords of geekdom in my eyes. For a big sci-fi/fantasy fan like me they have done so much awesome stuff I could never forget. But yeah I see Star Wars dominating, it will be real interesting to see how the numbers will play it. I can see it now, parents upon parents bringing their kids to the theaters so they can experience what they once did. Assuming Abrams will recapture that "feel" of the OT that seemingly never fades.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #56
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
It doesn't have to be some random scumbag shivving Fett in a back alley and running off with his loot. Do people really think pro screenwriters and movie producers would think something like that was a good idea?

What if it's a partner or protege of Fett's that takes up the mantle?

Maybe he dons the name and armor to honor his friend, or to seek revenge on his behalf?

Maybe Fett asks him to do so? "Continue my legacy", etc.

Just saying, "he kills him and takes his stuff" is really vague and can be interpreted in lots of different ways. They aren't going to divulge details yet, this film is 4+ years away still.
Guess I just gotta stay positive about the whole thing. If it ended up leading into the introduction of other mandolorians then I would like that.

The spin off talk got me thinking, it'd be cool to get a movie about Null-class ARC squad or Delta Squad. Not all the troops turned on the Jedi and went the way of the empire so I'd enjoy a movie about them during the clone war or after it. The clones are my favorite characters from the prequel era (more the clones from the novels and tv series than the movies) such a shame we never got to see them on screen like we did on tv and in the novels.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 AM   #57
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Star Wars and Avengers are the big films for me of 2015 with S/B moving and hype for both of those is going to be ridiculous. SW will pick up a lot more when we know more about the main characters & other details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
It's a trade off.

I think Whedon is great at writing, but so-so at directing. Whereas JJ is okay to fine with his writing, but he's pretty darn good at directing.

In many ways, they're cut from the same cloth. Just with different sensibilities.
Agreed, overall I think they're on a similar level.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:21 AM   #58
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

So this looks to be the Lucasfilm Story Group that was set up:

Carrie Beck - Director, Creative Content Strategy

Diana Williams - Producer, Franchise Synergy

Leland Y Chee - Keeper of the Holocron

Pablo Hidalgo - Brand Communication Manager

Quote:
"Star Wars Canon is now determined by the Lucasfilm Story Group which [Pablo Hidalgo] and I are both a part of," Chee tweeted on Sunday. The story group, he explained, "has a hand in all facets of Star Wars storytelling, including movies, TV, games and publishing." When asked what the change meant, he wrote that "a primary goal" was to ensure that there was no hierarchy between the movies and spinoff material, but instead one cohesive canon across the entire franchise, adding that "more so than ever, the canon field will serve us internally simply for classification rather than setting hierarchy."
2014/01/07 - THR - 'Star Wars': Now the Spinoffs Will Matter (Some of Them, Anyway)

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 01-19-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 AM   #59
titansupes
Side-Kick

Good for them, making sure that everything's going to line up and not feel perfunctory.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #60
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

From the Playboy interview with Abrams last April 2013 (sorry no linking)

Quote:
PLAYBOY: You went to Sarah Lawrence, which was traditionally an all-women’s college and still skews heavily female. As a straight guy at Sarah Lawrence, you must have been quite busy.

ABRAMS: The ratio was spectacular, I won’t lie. But I also got to be in rooms with a lot of women and, no joke, a lot of interesting conversations. It was almost like being a fly on the wall, where you’d actually get to hear and see what it’s like to be a woman. As a writer it was a cool opportunity. The rhythm of conversation. The way women are with one another in private.

PLAYBOY: Is that where Felicity came to you?

ABRAMS: Felicity really had nothing to do with my college experience; it was much more about my time in high school. A young woman who was in my class was an amazing artist. I had never really talked to her, but she did the posters for all the plays and stuff. At graduation I finally said, “Listen, we’ve been at this school for years together. I just wanted to say hi and say your work is unbelievable.” The look on her face was so incredible. Her face literally changed. She was so stunned and kind of awkward and then very sweet about it. For some reason her reaction stayed with me. I always thought that was a cool story, about someone who approaches someone at the very end of high school. There was another girl at the school, whose name was Felicity, and I always thought that was a great name for a character. That’s how ideas happen sometimes.

PLAYBOY: How did you go from Mr. Sensitive to action-movie guy?

ABRAMS: Look, all of it’s me. Felicity was an idea I was excited about. But when we were doing the show, what struck me was there were no bad guys. It was frustrating to do a show where the biggest threat was whether Felicity was going to get a D or be late to class or kiss the wrong boy. Lovely and romantic and fun, yes, but incredibly low stakes. What you’re always looking for on a TV show is the act-out, what makes you go “Ooh!” It was a hard thing to do because there were no murderers or vampires or villains.

So as a joke I pitched to the writers’ room: What if Felicity were a spy? It would be awesome because she’d be going off on these crazy action adventures and could come back and tell Julie what she’d really done. Or she has these bruises and she’d be lying to Ben or Noel about what they were. Everybody looked at me like I was crazy. Then ABC said it was looking for a show with a young female lead, and that was why I wrote Alias.

PLAYBOY: Jennifer Garner from Alias, Evangeline Lilly from Lost, Anna Torv from Fringe. You certainly know how to find gorgeous unknown newcomers and turn them into gun-toting badasses in supertight clothing.

ABRAMS: Well, I was in love with Batgirl as a kid. I thought she was the sexiest thing in the history of time. In the beginning of Batman, whenever the cartoon version of Batgirl would swoop through and you’d know she was in the episode, I’d be hugely excited, because she was so unbearably hot. And then, obviously, on The Avengers, Diana Rigg was just so completely…yeah. It’s a funny thing, because when I was growing up, usually men were the main characters and women were trophies. You know, the Bond girls were just kind of eye candy and fun. But I was always drawn to a different kind of woman, like Jenny Agutter in Logan’s Run. There were certain women who made you go, “Oh, she was beautiful but also just as fierce as Logan.” Think about when Alien came out. There’s Ripley at the end in her underwear, getting into the space suit—rewind, please. Those are the women who grabbed me as a kid.
Maybe it's pertinent. Maybe it's not. There's some Star Wars talk about nothing in particular so I'll add a reference to it in the sticky thread without a link, of course.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #61
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

News (yes, really)

Quote:
'Breaking Bad's' Jesse Plemons denies 'Star Wars' talk: It's a 'crazy rumor'

According to Jesse Plemons, Jesse Plemons won't be joining the "Star Wars" universe anytime soon.

"No," answered the "Breaking Bad" star when I asked if there was any truth to those recent reports that he's being eyed for a role in J.J. Abrams' "Episode VII." "Yeah, I think it's just one of those crazy rumors."

So is he on the level? Who can say? One thing's for sure: he wasn't at the SAG Awards to talk about "Star Wars" but about his role as sociopathic kid-killer Todd in "Breaking Bad," which took home the award for Best Ensemble in a Drama Series at the big show.

"I think [for] some people it takes a few seconds before they realize I'm not actually Todd, the child murderer," he said of encounters with fans since filming the series "But yeah, people just overall kinda love the show, so it's always exciting."
http://www.hitfix.com/news/breaking-...-a-crazy-rumor

After watching the video, I don't think I totally trust his reaction and he gave the boilerplate weak denial.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 01-19-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #62
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Yeah that sly smile he gave kinda hinted he wasn't telling the truth. But you can't really expect him to come right out and say he's in talks, anyway

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #63
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya he kinda gave a sly smile with that lol. Hard to tell though.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #64
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Episode VII is THE move of 2015 now in my opinion. I mean I'm sure Avengers 2 will be good, but we're talking the first post-Jedi Star Wars movie here. It's not even close in terms of my anticipation.
Honestly, i'm more excited for Avengers 2 than Episode 7 at this point. I hope things change once they make some announcements.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #65
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

I always thought there was no way Disney would let such a weird looking guy lead a series like this.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #66
Soapy
It's happening again...

Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #67
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Him denying it means absolutely nothing. Actors deny being parts of roles all the time. That's not confirmation by any means that he's not in it. That and he's an amazing actor, we don't need JC Penny catalog models for every single role. Characterization is key.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #68
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Him denying it means absolutely nothing. Actors deny being parts of roles all the time. That's not confirmation by any means that he's not in it. That and he's an amazing actor, we don't need JC Penny catalog models for every single role. Characterization is key.
I can't remember another actor lying or denying that he's not up for a role and then getting it. I don't remember a situation like that.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #69
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

That Boba Fett Retcon rumor is kind of weird...

Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #70
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddlerTheDalek View Post
What rumor?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #71
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

There has been some that have done that in the past. It does not mean they will be in it, but it does not mean they are still being considered. Does it mean Plemmons is in it? No. But it does not flat out mean he's not.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #72
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddlerTheDalek View Post
It's an interesting one. First being written by Kasdan is a interesting/great thing. But it allows the PT Boba to stay intact, while allowing to re-create the core feeling/characterization of Boba from the OT there as well.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #73
Serpico Jones
Side-Kick

The Boba Fett character was ruined in the prequels, not surprised Kasdan wants to throw all that crap out.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #74
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
I can't remember another actor lying or denying that he's not up for a role and then getting it. I don't remember a situation like that.
Paul Rudd denied being up for Ant-Man a month ago. And look at him now.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #75
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I never thought of it until I read your signature, Rudd truly does not age.