The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #576
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Default Re: Amy Adams IS Lois Lane - Part 3

I have read that comic and I feel much the same about it. I read it for Lois as she's my favourite female character, but I haven't been reading the new 52 much and feel I've missed some things. Normally, I dislike how they use superman, Lois, and WW in the new 52, so that's why I stopped reading it for a while. So, in contrast to that, I like what they did with Lois here and that they gave her a book, but I can't help but think it's some sort of consolation prize for shafting her in the superman book.

\S/T*
Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #577
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Seeing as how LOIS LANE is the character Amy is playing... No, it's not off topic. Now if you want to say how Amy Adam's Lois Lane is a surrogate for Michelle Obama or the like... Yeah, that's going to get things off topic REAL fast.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #578
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Seeing as how LOIS LANE is the character Amy is playing... No, it's not off topic. Now if you want to say how Amy Adam's Lois Lane is a surrogate for Michelle Obama or the like... Yeah, that's going to get things off topic REAL fast.
David Goyer's writing is extremely politicized, it is both influenced by and comments on current events, as anybody of sound mind can easily discern from The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel, easily two of the most political comic book movies. With that said, I don't see any references to Michelle Obama anywhere in his work. In fact, I don't think Lois Lane's writing is directly political in Man of Steel, in contrast to a lot of the movie.

One of the central questions of Man of Steel is "how would humanity respond to Superman in a world like our own?" as opposed to the usual more fantastical worlds. We saw this on different layers, from the more personal (Martha, Jonathan) to the slightly less personal ("Superman?" ... "that's what they're calling him!") to the more global (predator drone at the end). Lois was at a more personal layer on the spectrum of reactions, she accepts him and embraces him as an individual rather than as an idea, it's partly due to Lois Lane that Clark found the strength and the resolve he needed to fight back and win against Zod.

To the extent that some political layer can be read into Lois Lane, it is that one can contrast her attitudes in the film to those of the authorities. Her approach is one of trust towards Clark Kent, which was well-earned given her investigation, as she says to him when they first met, she thinks he can't help himself but to help others. It's in direct contrast to the military's paranoia handing over Clark and investigating him with predator drones, etc, and ultimately her approach is more effective.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 03-02-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #579
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Well said. That's why I don't understand when people say Lois didn't get to do anything in MOS. She had a very important role and although she was rescued by Superman, she was not just a damsel.

\S/T*
Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 AM   #580
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Well said. That's why I don't understand when people say Lois didn't get to do anything in MOS. She had a very important role and although she was rescued by Superman, she was not just a damsel.
For you:
Forget Superman. Zack Snyder's Man of Steel Is the Feminist Action Movie of the Year.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor..._the_year.html

It's flat-out incorrect that Lois didn't do anything in the plot. Some of the blame may be attributable to Snyder/Goyer failing to communicate things properly to the audience, I'm not sure, but that's a possibility.

But really I think that when people just don't like a movie they find a lot of faults. The first reason is that they're not able to actually buy into the story or follow it since they're miserable. The second is that they're trying to explain why they don't like it, and the "problems" they come up with might have absolutely nothing to do with why they didn't like the movie.

The politicisation of the plot may have played a role. The movie begins, in one of its very first scenes, with Jor-El telling the Kryptonian council that "mining the core was suicide". There's a lot happening here. We're shown that the Kryptonian council is too rigid in its ways, too conservative, to properly address a pressing issue, and they're ignoring a scientist at their peril. It's an obvious allegory for environmental problems on Earth, where human leadership are like lemmings running off a cliff. If, for whatever reason, someone doesnn't buy into that interpretation of current events and the world, if they're someone who instinctively likes authority, they will be repelled by a portrayal of Jor-El being correct and the established authorities being incorrect, and will end up buying out of the movie in that very first minute.

And then they won't like the movie, so they'll post comments on the internet that Lois Lane had no business on the helicopter.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #581
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Thanks for that. That is a great article and I absolutely agree with what the writer says. MOS was a good movie for women, IMO. I thought Goyer couldn't write women after Rachel Dawes, but he redeemed himself with MOS (and whatever he contributed to catwoman in TDKR).

\S/T*
Old 03-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #582
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I've stated despite my defense of the film that I had issues with the script and editing like everyone else, I completely acknowledge those issues but the movie by and large did right by Lois. Again I acknowledge that they could have fleshed out the characters more but what was there was good and it worked. Lois will always be saved by Superman because she is a human woman in the middle of extraordinary situations. I don't find him saving her inherently sexist for that very reason. I found the treatment of a Superhero girlfriend in a certain Superhero film that came out in November much, much more problematic. And no I'm not trying to start a vs war but I like to compare and contrast.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #583
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I've stated despite my defense of the film that I had issues with the script and editing like everyone else, I completely acknowledge those issues but the movie by and large did right by Lois. Again I acknowledge that they could have fleshed out the characters more but what was there was good and it worked. Lois will always be saved by Superman because she is a human woman in the middle of extraordinary situations. I don't find him saving her inherently sexist for that very reason. I found the treatment of a Superhero girlfriend in a certain Superhero film that came out in November much, much more problematic.
Is THOR: TDW now "the film that may not be named"?

Cuz ISS, if you want to talk about wooden, underwritten and existing solely for the hero to save... LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I GIVE YOU NATALIE PORTMAN AS JANE FOSTER!!

Lois as played by Addams was above all, believable as a modern day print journalist. And she also gives off the vibe of a woman with morals and character. She's not just a ball-breaker just to be one. You get that she's relentless to get at the truth for it's own sake, not just to win prizes, score points or further her career. It's why her choice to keep Clark's secret means so much in the film itself.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #584
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
I've stated despite my defense of the film that I had issues with the script and editing like everyone else, I completely acknowledge those issues but the movie by and large did right by Lois. Again I acknowledge that they could have fleshed out the characters more but what was there was good and it worked. Lois will always be saved by Superman because she is a human woman in the middle of extraordinary situations. I don't find him saving her inherently sexist for that very reason. I found the treatment of a Superhero girlfriend in a certain Superhero film that came out in November much, much more problematic. And no I'm not trying to start a vs war but I like to compare and contrast.
I assume you're talking about Jane in Thor and I agree. I'm haven't been fond of her character in either Thor movie. She's just a token love interest and Portman seems to phone it it.

Lois, while a love interest, has an actual role in MOS. She's his protector in a world that would otherwise feed him to the wolves. And so what if she gets a bit swoony. There's nothing wrong with being attracted to an attractive man that just saved your life. That's called being human. She wasn't the only one swooning, either. In the cornfield scene, supes was clearly besotted as well. It was a beautiful moment.

\S/T*
Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #585
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
I assume you're talking about Jane in Thor and I agree. I'm haven't been fond of her character in either Thor movie. She's just a token love interest and Portman seems to phone it it.

Lois, while a love interest, has an actual role in MOS. She's his protector in a world that would otherwise feed him to the wolves. And so what if she gets a bit swoony. There's nothing wrong with being attracted to an attractive man that just saved your life. That's called being human. She wasn't the only one swooning, either. In the cornfield scene, supes was clearly besotted as well. It was a beautiful moment.
I think it's difficult to criticise the "writing of women" in that movie, to focus on that issue in particular, given that that the whole of that movie is a mess, like with Green Lantern. They didn't know how to do Jane Foster. They didn't know how to do much at all, actually.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 AM   #586
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

Quote:

Very true. Portman plays a more damsel in distress-esque role in both films whereas Adams is actually integral to stopping the villain at the end of the movie. Even with the expansion of Jane's character in TDW, she was still more or less completely the same.

When you really break it down, Adams' Lois just came across as stronger & more competent.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:01 AM   #587
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk-1700 View Post
Very true. Portman plays a more damsel in distress-esque role in both films whereas Adams is actually integral to stopping the villain at the end of the movie. Even with the expansion of Jane's character in TDW, she was still more or less completely the same.

When you really break it down, Adams' Lois just came across as stronger & more competent.
I actually had little problem with Jane in the first THOR. It's underrated as a CBM in my opinion. A wonderful and romantic film. TDW? Yeah, any flaws THOR, it's characters, plot ect had? They are turned up to 11 in TDW. Such a shame. And Portman reflected this the most. She was wooden and had no energy in every scene, even the ones she appeared in with Hemmsworth, which should be impossible, that guy's on screen charisma should rub off on anyone he plays with, but her Jane just disappears practically.

Adams, though made the most of her scenes without doing any scenery chewing, yet she was still memorable, and a strong screen presence. She played a real life person caught in these world changing events very well to my eyes.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:06 AM   #588
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I think it's difficult to criticise the "writing of women" in that movie, to focus on that issue in particular, given that that the whole of that movie is a mess, like with Green Lantern. They didn't know how to do Jane Foster. They didn't know how to do much at all, actually.
True. It was poorly written in general.

\S/T*
Old 03-02-2014, 03:11 AM   #589
Asr
Side-Kick

Quote:
I thought Goyer couldn't write women after Rachel Dawes, but he redeemed himself with MOS (and whatever he contributed to catwoman in TDKR).
Eh, not sure I'd attribute Lois Lane's strong character to Goyer. Strong female characters have been a trademark in Snyder's movies more than anything that Goyer has written, so I'd be inclined to theorize that Snyder counteracted Goyer for the better.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:13 AM   #590
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk-1700 View Post

Due to Thor being poorly written, fans are rejecting the narrative, and are calling for Thor to be with Sif.

If Superman were that poorly-written, he would be more logical to pair with ... Wonder Woman.

:-)

Old 03-02-2014, 03:14 AM   #591
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Cuz ISS, if you want to talk about wooden, underwritten and existing solely for the hero to save... LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I GIVE YOU NATALIE PORTMAN AS JANE FOSTER!!
lol ugh. I like both Pepper and Peggy so Marvel are capable of good love interests.

And MsKent I agree with you, swooning is just fine, it's cute and fun. As long as it doesn't turn your female character into a dope I am A-okay with swooning. Adams Lois was ten times less swoony than Kidder's and thank goodness for that.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 03-02-2014 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:20 AM   #592
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
Eh, not sure I'd attribute Lois Lane's strong character to Goyer. Strong female characters have been a trademark in Snyder's movies more than anything that Goyer has written, so I'd be inclined to theorize that Snyder counteracted Goyer for the better.
Good point.

Sarah Polley in Dawn of the Dead.
Lena Heady in 300.
Malin Akerman in Watchmen.
Emily Browning, Abbie Cornish, and Jena Malone in Sucker Punch.

Man of Steel had Ayelet Zurer, Diane Lane, Antje Traue, and Amy Adams in its top-12 cast members, more than any CBM excluding the X-men.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 AM   #593
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
Hmm, you might be right. Well, I thank whoever did it.

Quote:
lol ugh. I like both Pepper and Peggy so Marvel are capable of good love interests.

And MsKent I agree with you, swooning is just fine, it's cute and fun. As long as it doesn't turn your female character into a dope I am A-okay with swooning. Adams Lois was ten times less swoony than Kidder's and think goodness for that.
I have mixed feelings about Pepper, but I think Peggy and Black Widow are great.

And Adams' Lois was the perfect amount of swoony. It was enough to convey that she was attracted to superman, but not enough to make her seem like a blind fangirl/groupie. I just don't agree when people say a reasonable amount of swooning makes a woman less strong. If that's the case, then I'm weak as hell because I always swoon over Cav-el.

\S/T*

Last edited by MrsKent26; 03-02-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #594
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I hope Amy is sexaaaaaaaay tonight! Looking forward to the Oscahs, tonight.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #595
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about Pepper, but I think Peggy and Black Widow are great.
I loved Pepper in IM, thought she was fine in IM2, and I haven't seen IM3.

Peggy and Black Widow are fine.

Personally, I think IM1 Pepper is the gold standard. She was smart, independent, entertaining, funny, and appropriately in love with the hero.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #596
CountOrlok
Banned User

I liked Amy Adams as Lois Lane but to me she didn't really stand out too much. She lacked the feisty quality that Margot Kidder brought to the role. But then again she won't have the same relationship with Clark because she knows he is Superman.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #597
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

She could've still been feisty. Lois' personality has nothing to do with knowing who Superman really is. I think they just wanted a less snarky version of the character, which is fine.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #598
CountOrlok
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
She could've still been feisty. Lois' personality has nothing to do with knowing who Superman really is. I think they just wanted a less snarky version of the character, which is fine.
Well yeah, she treats Clark like a doormat. That's an aspect of her character that I'll miss.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #599
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
Well yeah, she treats Clark like a doormat. That's an aspect of her character that I'll miss.

Lois hasn't been like that in a long time. Your thinking about silver age Lois here which the Margot Kidder Lois was based on.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #600
CountOrlok
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Lois hasn't been like that in a long time. Your thinking about silver age Lois here which the Margot Kidder Lois was based on.
Fair enough. But that's my favourite version of Lois.

Closed Thread