The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Binker
Side-Kick

Default Smallville: Lantern

Green Lantern is coming to Smallville! ...sort of...

Quote:

SMALLVILLE SEASON 11: LANTERN #1
Written by BRYAN Q. MILLER
Art by MARCIO TAKARA
Cover by CAT STAGGS
On sale APRIL 16 • 40 pg, FC, 1 of 4, $3.99 US RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST
The Green Lantern ring for space sector 2813 was inactive for years after Krypton’s end, until the creation of the Argo colony recalled it to service. As none of Zod’s followers are suitable candidates, the ring’s search brings it to the nearest Kryptonian it can recruit! SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 continues in “Lantern” part 1 of 4!
I know what the first question is going to be: will we see Hal, Kyle, John, maybe even the return of Alan, as Smallville's GL? I have the same question too, but still I'm excited to see what they have planned for the GL mythos in the Smallville universe.

Binker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Johnny
Side-Kick

Default Re: Smallville: Lantern

This is obviously a GL origin story. Very interesting, I didn't expect the ring to get to Clark first. I'm thinking GL will turn out to be Hal since there was a "Ferris Air" tease in Argo awhile back. Also, I noticed it says space sector 2813, while Earth is in sector 2814, so a 2813 ring has no business searching for a new wearer in 2814. Maybe Clark and Hal(or whoever it is) end up both having rings? Can't wait for this arc.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I hope they use Kyle or John.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

So we finally get GL Smallville style.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

how was there absolutely no other life available in 2813?? that's beyond stupid!!

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Johnny
Side-Kick

It says there wasn't other kryptonians available in 2813, not any living beings at all. Probably the GL ring seeking candidates would work differently in Smallville than in the regular GL comics.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Binker
Side-Kick

Okay, Green Lantern IS coming to Smallville, and it's John Stewart.

Quote:
SMALLVILLE SEASON 11: LANTERN #2
Art by MARCIO TAKARA
Cover by CAT STAGGS
On sale MAY 14 • 40 pg, FC, 2 of 4, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST
Clark Kent is just beginning to grasp the potential of the Green Lantern ring, but all of John Stewart’s training hasn’t prepared him for the battle they’re about to face. Will Clark need to use his natural super powers to defeat an enemy John fears?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Johnny
Side-Kick

Crap, I hoped it was going to be Hal. My interest for this story significantly dropped.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Binker
Side-Kick

In all honesty, sure I would've preferred Hal or Kyle, and in fact I'm kinda shocked that Kyle isn't Smallville's GL. Maybe he'll pop up, or Hal, given that John has a ring too, from the sound of it, and Clark will have to give up his.

But also, I don't really care for John Stewart. Nothing against the character, but I was never fond of him. In fact, anytime I see him on JLU, or the rumor JL movie, I think the same thing: he's only there so they can have a black man on the team. Yes, I said that. But you know what? Timm and co. admitted that was the reason for the show, and it wouldn't be a surprise to anyone for this reason concerning this, the movie, or anything, etc.

P.S. that targeting system on the cover, does that mean the villains are the Manhunters?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Johnny
Side-Kick

Good points. Yeah, I know the race was a significant factor in choosing him as the GL. I'm not against John, he is just not particularly interesting to me. And you're right, considering Bart was The Flash on Smallville, I definitely expected Kyle to turn out to be the GL. I guess after the tease with the Ferris Air ticket Lois showed at the beginning of Argo, I thought it was obvious that Hal would show up which is why I'm so disappointed. Ah well, may be a good story nonetheless. And yeah, I thought about the Manhunters too. Though BQM teased that the cover of the third chapter has "yellow" on it. To me it makes no sense to show Sinestro if Hal isn't in the story, so we'll see.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
Binker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
And yeah, I thought about the Manhunters too. Though BQM teased that the cover of the third chapter has "yellow" on it. To me it makes no sense to show Sinestro if Hal isn't in the story, so we'll see.
Well, ...in STAS, Kyle was GL, but in the episode, they used Hal's origin for Kyle's, though he was still a comic artist, and Sinestro was there (so was Abin Sur, btw). For all I know, though I kinda think they won't but then again they could; John could be a pilot of the marines sent to Ferris to try something out, and then it happens. But that's speculation based on...speculation.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
Johnny
Side-Kick

Yeah, Smallville is still a parallel universe type story anyway. For all we know in this universe John may be the pilot and Hal the marine sharpshooter. They often used aspects of different versions of the character they introduced while the show was still on air.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, Smallville is still a parallel universe type story anyway. For all we know in this universe John may be the pilot and Hal the marine sharpshooter. They often used aspects of different versions of the character they introduced while the show was still on air.
I kind of hope so. It's interesting to see how Bryan will treat John(I have yet to read the Mosaic arc and his part in Green Lantern Rebirth and I enjoyed his early appearances but except for a few episodes in JL/JLU, John really doesn't have much in his name to fame). I kind of do want to see Hal and Guy cameos(but I also want Bart to return as the Flash so...).

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #14
Johnny
Side-Kick

Someone asked Bryan on twitter about Hal Jordan and he said all will be revealed. So I guess in the end we'll just have to wait and see lol.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #15
hopeless
Side-Kick

Is it bad that I'd like them to introduce Alan Scott?

I mean if even Clark with the aid of the ring can't defeat whatever that is even with John's help, imagine the reaction when Clark calls Jay to ask for Alan's help and we get him involved?!

hopeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #16
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless View Post
Is it bad that I'd like them to introduce Alan Scott?

I mean if even Clark with the aid of the ring can't defeat whatever that is even with John's help, imagine the reaction when Clark calls Jay to ask for Alan's help and we get him involved?!
that would be great, maybe have an example/connection similar to Young Justice Alan Scott and the Green Lantern corps or Ollie interacting with Hal in some way. I like how Jay was utilized so far.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
Old 03-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

I've admittedly been out of the loop on the comics since early in Batman's introduction chapter. Have the books gotten any better since then?

Old 03-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #18
Johnny
Side-Kick

I've been enjoying the comic since it started. It never got boring to me so I would say give it a shot. The arc with Bart was very good, so was the one with Wonder Woman.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 AM   #19
Bruce_Wayne29
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
I've admittedly been out of the loop on the comics since early in Batman's introduction chapter. Have the books gotten any better since then?
In my opinion, yes.

Bruce_Wayne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #20
ironman29758
Side-Kick

read chapter 2 of Lantern. I enjoyed it. Interesting change of John Stewart occupation(fits though how the Green Lantern corps is usually either compared to a police force or military). It was fun to see Superman using his Green Lantern powers. It's implied that there have to be another human Green Lanterns(maybe that's Alan Scott, Hal and/or Guy will be mentioned or shown). It was a good overall issue.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 AM   #21
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Someone asked Bryan on twitter about Hal Jordan and he said all will be revealed. So I guess in the end we'll just have to wait and see lol.
Well, it looks like we now know about what the deal is with Hal, Alan, and Kyle within the SV universe.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 AM   #22
Johnny
Side-Kick

Yeah. I was kind of hoping Bryan wouldn't choose the easy way with Parallax Hal Jordan but we'll see what happens. I'm not going to get on Bryan's case for it because obviously this would be a sort of redemption story with Clark and John helping Hal get rid of Parallax, but I always had a deep dislike when writers make Hal Jordan a villain to use it as a plot device.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #23
Binker
Side-Kick

I forgot about issue #3:

Quote:
SMALLVILLE SEASON 11: LANTERN #3
Art by MARCIO TAKARA
Cover by CAT STAGGS
On sale JUNE 11 • 40 pg, FC, 3 of 4, $3.99 US • RATED T
A rain of yellow “stars” falls on Gotham City even as Superman and the Green Lantern John Stewart face a threat from Oa’s past that has reappeared on the moon. Batman, Nightwing, Green Arrow and the Wonder Woman from the DEO are doing their best, but they need help. When Clark returns to Earth, will John’s luck run out?
And now, issue #4...

Quote:
SMALLVILLE SEASON 11: LANTERN #4
Art by MARCIO TAKARA
Cover by CAT STAGGS
On sale JULY 9 • 40 pg, 4 of 4, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST
Fighting a pitched battle against the strength of Parallax, John Stewart is able to regain his Green Lantern will. But will the change come in time to defeat Parallax’s minions?