The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #176
SHIELDtv
Level 8 S.H.I.E.L.D Agent
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 114
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
That is exactly the point I was making: The goal of the connections should have been to make the show compelling enough to maintain interest. Loeb claimed that the writers have been leaving "a trail of breadcrumbs," but the connections should have been apparent all along.
So what you're saying is you want the entire arc of the series laid out in episode one so we know what's going to happen? That's not a show I would bother watching. The hints were there about some of the things to come and some of us have been saying since the start that there WAS an ongoing arc for anyone who actually opened their eyes to it, if we'd known all the specifics, how boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Loeb's determination to keep the show episodic worked against it, and it's pretty clear that the network realized that from Paul Lee's remarks.
I don't recall any official source ever saying anything about Loeb insisting on keeping the show episodic. I remember lots of talking about how this series had a two year ongoing plan that they were building on as they introduced the characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Lee owned up to the fact that AOS has been a disappointment to ABC creatively
Umm.. that's kind of twisting words. I can only assume you mean the "finding our feet" comment. "Finding your feet" and being "disappointed in creativity" are NOT the same thing, far from it.


Last edited by SHIELDtv; 01-24-2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Typo
SHIELDtv is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #177
fixxxer
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 974
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

I know this was in response to xeno, but I wanted to reply to some of that. Let me preface all this by saying that I was never as down on the show as xeno (and a few others) were, and I do think that they've fixed many of my qualms in the last couple of episodes. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIELDtv View Post
So what you're saying is you want the entire arc of the series laid out in episode one so we know what's going to happen? That's not a show I would bother watching. The hints were there about some of the things to come and some of us have been saying since the start that there WAS an ongoing arc for anyone who actually opened their eyes to it, if we'd known all the specifics, how boring!
No, laying down the entire manifest in episode one would obviously not be the way to go. However, a majority of the first few episodes were disjoint, until we were able to retroactively piece the connections together. For example, whoever was behind Akela Amador's eyepiece could have been revealed to be the Centipede organization during the stinger of that episode. Similarly, the fact that Ian Quinn was working for (or associated with) Centipede.

It was a creative decision to have those reveals come down the line (I believe in episodes 10 and 12 respectively) but I think it would have worked better for the show to have those threads connected as we moved along. I also think this cost them quite a few viewers, who might not have left if they knew they were watching something that was actually part of a larger overarching theme.

Quote:
I don't recall any official source ever saying anything about Loeb insisting on keeping the show episodic. I remember lots of talking about how this series had a two year ongoing plan that they were building on as they introduced the characters.
I don't think any concrete evidence, but Loeb's television sensibilities are pretty well documented as of now. I, for one, was extremely concerned about the level of creative control he might have over the show. And this was way before Agents of SHIELD even premiered. While I found the initial episodes to be a reasonably entertaining, their worst parts seemed (to me at least) to always reek of Loeb's "input".

Quote:
Umm.. that's kind of twisting words. I can only assume you mean the "finding our feet" comment. "Finding your feet" and being "disappointed in creativity" are NOT the same thing, far from it.
I obviously can't speak for xeno, but Lee's comments, at the very least, are an acknowledgement that there were some aspects of the show that were not working and that efforts would be taken to fix them.


Last edited by fixxxer; 01-24-2014 at 04:00 AM. Reason: formatting
fixxxer is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 04:06 AM   #178
SHIELDtv
Level 8 S.H.I.E.L.D Agent
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 114
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
No, laying down the entire manifest in episode one would obviously not be the way to go. However, a majority of the first few episodes were disjoint, until we were able to retroactively piece the connections together. For example, whoever was behind Akela Amador's eyepiece could have been revealed to be the Centipede organization during the stinger of that episode. Similarly, the fact that Ian Quinn was working for (or associated with) Centipede.

It was a creative decision to have those reveals come down the line (I believe in episodes 10 and 12 respectively) but I think it would have worked better for the show to have those threads connected as we moved along. I also think this cost them quite a few viewers, who might not have left if they knew they were watching something that was actually part of a larger overarching theme.

I don't think any concrete evidence, but Loeb's television sensibilities are pretty well documented as of now. I, for one, was extremely concerned about the level of creative control he might have over the show. And this was way before Agents of SHIELD even premiered. While I found the initial episodes to be a reasonably entertaining, their worst parts seemed (to me at least) to always reek of Loeb's "input".
Perhaps your preconception that this "episodic" thing was going to be a problem may have stopped you from seeing the seeds they were sewing for the bigger picture that some of us picked up on?

SHIELDtv is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #179
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr0oT View Post
I wish he'd gone into more detail about the look of Deathlok, but very excited to see that they have included
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Cybertek Systems Inc., and hopefully they keep that it is a division of Roxxon, holy crap we might get Warwolf !!!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Roxxon was already behind the rather sinister and dangerous experiments that led to one of its technicians being exiled to another dimension in Repairs. It's quite possible that the shady corporation was attempting to create portals to other realms that would mimic the Bifrost Effect. So it wouldn't be surprising if their scientists are at the back of the experiments that create Deathlok, as well. One has to wonder whether Roxxon is the true backer of Centipede, if it turns out that they turned Mike into a cyborg.

Whatever they do with Roxxon, I hope we'll one day see Sunturion.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 04:27 AM   #180
fixxxer
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 974
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIELDtv View Post
Perhaps your preconception that this "episodic" thing was going to be a problem may have stopped you from seeing the seeds they were sewing for the bigger picture that some of us picked up on?
I don't think. I mean, I've spent a lot of time speculating just that. But that's all it was... just speculation. Based on what the show actually gave us, I don't think there was any factual basis for connecting those threads.

fixxxer is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #181
seahammer
Side-Kick
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,424
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Marvel's Deathlok Set for Agents of SHIELD


IGN gives some details about scenes from upcoming episodes featuring Mike Peterson, John Garrett, Stan Lee and Sif. There are spoilers so be mindful of that if you read the article.
Thanks for that link, Xeno.

It sounds like Sif's interaction with Lorelei will be a good one. In the clip they describe in the article, Lorelei mentions Sif's feelings unrequited feelings for Thor. Glad they're taking the opportunity add some depth to that!

Looking forward to Bill Paxton and Deathlok, too!

__________________
The World Still Needs Heroes

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 AM   #182
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIELDtv View Post

Umm.. that's kind of twisting words. I can only assume you mean the "finding our feet" comment. "Finding your feet" and being "disappointed in creativity" are NOT the same thing, far from it.
There's no need to twist Lee's words when you read what he actually said. He never said anything about "finding our feet," by the way. He said that it took time for the show to find its sea legs, but he believes that it is currently doing well. Lee is a network president with many problems in his primetime lineup so he phrased things delicately, but the takeaway from his comments was that he acknowledges that the show has had problems creatively but now thinks that it is in a better place. And he specifically mentioned the fact that the writers didn't find the balance between a procedural (episodic) show and one with an ongoing story arc until recently. Lee said that the last nine episodes are "now arced out," tacitly admitting that the previous 13 were not, which is exactly what some of us have been discussing here.


When the network president himself admits to structural problems in the show that many critics and fans have long pointed out it's rather futile for anyone to deny that those problems exist.


Quote:
"It was obviously disappointing that we started with a very high number and it came down. It took a little bit of time to find our sea legs, but now the show is really doing well.

"Creatively, we are loving what we're seeing for the back nine. We're doing a lot of work, and I'm really enjoying doing this with Marvel."

Lee went on to say that it "took a little bit of time" in order to establish the show's "mythology."

He added:

"I think the key for us was really starting to work closely with the studios, and really figure out - with our showrunners and all the creative brains - how we could have a show that didn't have Iron Man in it, but did have an incredible amount of the Marvel universe."

"We also took a little bit of time to get the balance between a procedural and an arc. I'm so proud of how they've now arced out the last nine episodes."
http://www.blastr.com/2014-1-20/abc-...d-its-sea-legs

xeno000 is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 05:14 AM   #183
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 39,159
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Half of what you said could apply to Lex Luthor.(In fact,Id say Killian made a damn good Luthor)
Yeah, because, turns out, many comic book super villains have some traits in common. That doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
But that doesn't change the fact that he bore virtually none of the trappings of the original character's concept.Any way you slice it,the version we got was "half baked Mandarin."
But none of those "trappings" were what defined the character as a character. They were all surface. The things that defined him as a character, as in, in things that matter, remained intact. And, like I said, they didn't change the character to any greater extent than Ra's Al Ghul was changed in Batman Begins. Changed his race, altered his supernatural power source into something else, faked the audience out with a decoy, and introduced him to the audience as another, lesser known character from the comics. Was Ra's in that movie a half baked Ra's Al Ghul?

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is online now  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #184
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled
 
Silvermoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sitting comfortably between Loki & Winter Soldier
Posts: 2,382
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
Who's to say that this hasn't been in the plans all along? I man were talking about Marvel here, the company that has set up a years long storyline with characters. I don't think they've just been winging the show, it's all a part of the plan from the beginning.

But now that these things are starting to come to light people are jumping to "oh they knew they screwed up and now they've fixed it" scenarios. When in reality all signs point to this is how it's been planned all along.

It's still very much the same show they originally pitched; normal shield agents going against superhuman and other world threats. Nothing has changed the show is just progressing as its been planned to.

All this news is fantastic, I can't wait for the rest of this season and the multiple seasons beyond!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Lest we all start peeing ourselves, the show is still more or less about norms in a superhuman world, and they never said the show wouldn't feature powers or Marvel characters. I'm seeing a fair amount of self-congratulatory back slapping where I suspect none is really deserved.

edit: or what mkilban2 said^^
Agreed. I've no doubt that the things we're currently seeing (and are hearing about coming up in the next couple episodes) were planned before feedback started coming in. In fact, it reminds me of a quote from one of the creators (can't remember if it was one of the Whedons or someone else) a month or so ago that promised more 'Marvel' in the show was on the way. Looks like we're now reaching the point that was spoken of - which adds to my belief of these particular things being planned from the beginning.

Personally, I've been perfectly fine with how the show has been playing out so far. I wasn't expecting (or wanting) a show that focused on Superheroes (I'm fine with them being side characters/the occasional guest-spot) - if I wanted something that focuses on them, I'd watch the MCU films. This film was always touted to focus on the normal people, the heroes that aren't super, having to deal with things that aren't necessarily big enough to call in the big guns. I feel like we've gotten what was promised, and I'm for one happy with it. I'm hoping that they don't shift away from that focus.

Just my opinion (hope it made sense)

__________________
Hill:Then aliens invaded New York & were beaten back, by among others, a giant green monster, a costumed hero from the 40's...and a god
Ward: I don't think Thor is technically a god.
Hill: Well...you haven't been near his arms.
~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #185
Huddsy
Side-Kick
 
Huddsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 736
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The whole "It's All Connected" pitch does not retroactively erase the show's shortcomings. The episodes should have been "arced," as Paul Lee put it, from the beginning, in ways that the audience could recognize as the show went on. The writing has been lacking in many areas all along, with more cringe-worthy moments than great ones. The writing needs to show major improvement to be able to support the show's ambitions.
Sure, the writing has been very up-and-down, but so is a lot of shows of this nature. People have gotten used to HBO and new AMC stuff like GoT, BB, etc. and it's hard for normal cable to live up to it now. The hope is that as they get going and the characters become more and more involved in the writers, that they will, in fact, improve. Which tends to happen with sci-fi shows that have a bit longer runs.

Again, I point to Stargate SG-1, one of the most successful sci-fi shows ever. Go back and re-watch it. Started out very cringeworthy with cookie cutter characters and facepalm moments. By the end of that show, people who invested in it would consider people like Teal'c 'friends', because they got deeper into those characters and made them 3-dimensional.

You have unrealistic expectations for something great from day one. Very few shows capture that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
The whole "it's all connected" thing means absolutely nothing if the show doesn't put an effort to not only "arc" the episodes, but to create hype and keep you invested. Breaking Bad hooked people on from the very beginning and it too had an overall plan from the very beginning.

Plus, that still doesn't excuse the show's boring characterizations and pacing. I don't care how much of a "plan" you have, there is no reason for why the pacing had to be that slow for the first half.
Uh, no it didn't. BB was extremely up-and-down until Season 3. I'm in rewatch mode of Breaking Bad at the moment, and trust me, you see the connections now but back then it was more of an "OH MY GOD! WHY DO I CARE?" type feeling.

Huddsy is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #186
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,747
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
There's no need to twist Lee's words when you read what he actually said. He never said anything about "finding our feet," by the way. He said that it took time for the show to find its sea legs, but he believes that it is currently doing well. Lee is a network president with many problems in his primetime lineup so he phrased things delicately, but the takeaway from his comments was that he acknowledges that the show has had problems creatively but now thinks that it is in a better place. And he specifically mentioned the fact that the writers didn't find the balance between a procedural (episodic) show and one with an ongoing story arc until recently. Lee said that the last nine episodes are "now arced out," tacitly admitting that the previous 13 were not, which is exactly what some of us have been discussing here.


When the network president himself admits to structural problems in the show that many critics and fans have long pointed out it's rather futile for anyone to deny that those problems exist.




http://www.blastr.com/2014-1-20/abc-...d-its-sea-legs
Damn straight.

This "that was the plan all along" defense rings hollow because the simple fact of the matter is that AOS' failure to arc from the very beginning killed off a huge portion of the audience after the pilot episode. Yes, making this a show about superheroes and starting to salt it with more comic-book canon is a major step in the right direction towards the show everybody asked for from the beginning; but the audience has long since abandoned ship, hanging on by fingernails at the 2.0 mark.

It remains to be seen if this news is enough to bring back audiences who gave up on AOS a long time ago. I certainly hope so, but I'm not willing to bet money on that happening. Could be a little too little, a little too late.

Anyone who thinks "let's don't make the show interesting until the halfway point of the first season" is a smart marketing strategy should really take a remedial course in Sell This ***** 101.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #187
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,175
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
That is exactly the point I was making: The goal of the connections should have been to make the show compelling enough to maintain interest. Loeb claimed that the writers have been leaving "a trail of breadcrumbs," but the connections should have been apparent all along. Loeb's determination to keep the show episodic worked against it, and it's pretty clear that the network realized that from Paul Lee's remarks.


Lee owned up to the fact that AOS has been a disappointment to ABC creatively and in terms of ratings, not a total disaster but definitely not what the network expected. He made it very clear that he and other ABC execs have been actively involved in the process of shaping AOS into a format they think will be more successful than the first part of the season was. Things appear to be headed in a better direction now but it's a bit premature to declare that all the problems have been solved.
Im not too sure on that. I think 90% of shows in this genre (buffy, smallville, arrow, etc) tend to have a very episodic first season. Sure, there's minor story archs that branch over the whole season but they're all very "villain of the week" and compartmentalized at first. Its a necessity in this genre in order to build and develop the world they're trying to define.

I think they know what they've been doing from the start. It was just "too slow" if a burn for some of you

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #188
Huddsy
Side-Kick
 
Huddsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 736
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Damn straight.

This "that was the plan all along" defense rings hollow because the simple fact of the matter is that AOS' failure to arc from the very beginning killed off a huge portion of the audience after the pilot episode. Yes, making this a show about superheroes and starting to salt it with more comic-book canon is a major step in the right direction towards the show everybody asked for from the beginning; but the audience has long since abandoned ship, hanging on by fingernails at the 2.0 mark.

It remains to be seen if this news is enough to bring back audiences who gave up on AOS a long time ago. I certainly hope so, but I'm not willing to bet money on that happening. Could be a little too little, a little too late.

Anyone who thinks "let's don't make the show interesting until the halfway point of the first season" is a smart marketing strategy should really take a remedial course in Sell This ***** 101.
Go find me a regular cable thriller/sci-fi/spy show that didn't take some time to get going. I'll wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Im not too sure on that. I think 90% of shows in this genre (buffy, smallville, arrow, etc) tend to have a very episodic first season. Sure, there's minor story archs that branch over the whole season but they're all very "villain of the week" and compartmentalized at first. Its a necessity in this genre in order to build and develop the world they're trying to define.

I think they know what they've been doing from the start. It was just "too slow" if a burn for some of you
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Huddsy is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #189
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,175
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Damn straight.

This "that was the plan all along" defense rings hollow because the simple fact of the matter is that AOS' failure to arc from the very beginning killed off a huge portion of the audience after the pilot episode. Yes, making this a show about superheroes and starting to salt it with more comic-book canon is a major step in the right direction towards the show everybody asked for from the beginning; but the audience has long since abandoned ship, hanging on by fingernails at the 2.0 mark.

It remains to be seen if this news is enough to bring back audiences who gave up on AOS a long time ago. I certainly hope so, but I'm not willing to bet money on that happening. Could be a little too little, a little too late.

Anyone who thinks "let's don't make the show interesting until the halfway point of the first season" is a smart marketing strategy should really take a remedial course in Sell This ***** 101.
That totally wasn't the reason it lost audience. there were several people who fir some reason didn't get the memo about the show being about semi-normal people in a superhero world... And expected the avenger and others to pop up "pew pew"-ing in most episodes.

I dont honestly think an episodic or non episodic format loses viewers that quickly. It just wasn't the right show for some. There was ALWAYS a predicted viewer decrease. But the ratings have been actually climbing in the last few episodes. And is far from hurting.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #190
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,330
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
but the connections should have been apparent all along.
weren't they? most of them were pretty obvious

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #191
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,330
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIELDtv View Post
I don't recall any official source ever saying anything about Loeb insisting on keeping the show episodic.
because no one ever said that. Loeb mentioned he prefers episodic shows last year, but that was in context of animated shows and had nothing to do with live action television.

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #192
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,918
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

I'm excited for the upcoming changes, but let's not kid ourselves--this show was not firing on all cylinders from day 1. We'll never know exactly what their plan was, but it's pretty clear that it wasn't working out for most people, as evidenced by their declining viewership. Even if it was their plan to have a 10-episode slow build, it was a bad plan. It's up to them to make sure these next few episodes are good enough to bring back disgruntled fans.

__________________
kingwrites.com // @kingmatte
Crimson King is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #193
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,668
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddsy View Post
Uh, no it didn't. BB was extremely up-and-down until Season 3. I'm in rewatch mode of Breaking Bad at the moment, and trust me, you see the connections now but back then it was more of an "OH MY GOD! WHY DO I CARE?" type feeling.
To you. I was hooked on from the very beginning first time I saw it. Honestly, you're the first person I ever heard say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I'm excited for the upcoming changes, but let's not kid ourselves--this show was not firing on all cylinders from day 1. We'll never know exactly what their plan was, but it's pretty clear that it wasn't working out for most people, as evidenced by their declining viewership. Even if it was their plan to have a 10-episode slow build, it was a bad plan. It's up to them to make sure these next few episodes are good enough to bring back disgruntled fans.
Exactly.

As I said before, you need to at least build some hype to keep your viewers interested. The first half of Season 1 of Arrow was no better written than this show's first half. They were both about equally "meh". However, Arrow at least managed to hype people up with things like the island's mystery, Deathstroke, Malcolm's plan, cliffhangers like Oliver being arrested for vigilantism at the end of an episode, etc. That's kept people watching despite the show's not-so-good quality. It created a "I really don't want to watch this show feeling but I have to because it's teasing me with x and y".

This show made no effort whatsoever to build hype. Hence, as you said, it was a bad plan.


Last edited by Shikamaru; 01-24-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Shikamaru is online now  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #194
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 19,314
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Anyone who thinks "let's don't make the show interesting until the halfway point of the first season" is a smart marketing strategy should really take a remedial course in Sell This ***** 101.
It's been interesting enough to keep you watching, hasn't it? The shows not great but it's far from awful.

__________________
Our life in this world...
to what shall I compare it?
It is like an echo
resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #195
Huddsy
Side-Kick
 
Huddsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 736
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
To you. I was hooked on from the very beginning. Honestly, you're the first person I ever heard say that.
We got into the stuff with Tuco in Season 2 and my fiancee had to stop watching she was so bored -- and she's a tv connoisseur. A lot fo other people I know have all said in watching it, the first season is slow and doesn't pick up for a bit.

Huddsy is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #196
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,668
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddsy View Post
We got into the stuff with Tuco in Season 2 and my fiancee had to stop watching she was so bored -- and she's a tv connoisseur. A lot fo other people I know have all said in watching it, the first season is slow and doesn't pick up for a bit.
I disagree.

Shikamaru is online now  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #197
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,330
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
To you. I was hooked on from the very beginning first time I saw it. Honestly, you're the first person I ever heard say that.
You heard him?

but really, season one of BB bored the hell out of a lot of people back when it originally aired, I know quite a few who stopped watching it then. the series became popular with season 3

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #198
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,330
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

Anyone who thinks "let's don't make the show interesting until the halfway point of the first season" is a smart marketing strategy should really take a remedial course in Sell This ***** 101.
some times I feel some people discovered TV shows very recently. I know great genre shows with very rabid fans that took two or three seasons to get as interesting as AoS is now. Almost every sci fi show in the late 80ies or 90ies for an example (with the exception of Babylon 5 which was awesome from day 1) TNG, Stargate, X-Files, Buffy, Farscape, DS9, Smallville..
It's 101 storytelling, you need time to set up the world and the characters, before you get to tell your meta plot. AoS did this very fast and effective.

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic



Last edited by R_Hythlodeus; 01-24-2014 at 09:36 AM.
R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #199
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,668
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
You heard him?
Way to nitpick.

Quote:
but really, season one of BB bored the hell out of a lot of people back when it originally aired, I know quite a few who stopped watching it then. the series became popular with season 3
A show's popularity does not equate to its quality. There are shows that start out really popular and fade away when they do get better, shows that start out not that popular and get popular when they get worse, shows that never get too popular despite deserving it and the laundry list goes on. "The series became popular with season 3" is an irrelevant premise when it comes to the show's quality overall.

Though I have to ask, what were you expecting with a season that was only like 6 episodes long? I thought plenty of stuff happened in the first season given its length. There is nothing I can see that was dragged out too much, unlike this show pre-break.

Shikamaru is online now  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #200
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,330
Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Though I have to ask, what were you expecting with a season that was only like 6 episodes long? .
Sherlock S1 was 3 episodes long and was far superior in an apples and oranges way.

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.