The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Default Favorite Magical And Cosmic DC Characters

Hello everyone,

BlackMagicWolf here. It's been a while, but I feel it's time to start another topic. This one though, will heavily depend on you, as this is very much a suggestion thread.

Allow me to explain. Ever since Arrow came around, I've had the idea that SHAZAM! should has his own (modern) TV show. This was before Flash was announced for the record.

It's been over a year since I wrote a gigantic blog on it, and I've finally the extra step in trying to make this a reality. I'm writing teleplays/scripts for episodes.

I've currently got 23 written, 20 episodes for Season 1 (allows room for more to be added) and 3 for Season 2. The people I've shown them to (writers and SHAZAM! fans) really like them.

So where do you come in? Well it's simple. I see the SHAZAM! TV show being a conduit to bring a relatively untapped part of the DCU to the silver screen. The magical and cosmic side of the DCU.

I've already put a bunch of magical and cosmic, and some other heroes in the 23 episodes so far. But I want to know what your favorite magical and cosmic DCU characters are so that this can be a true work of the fans.

To expand my reach I've even gone to Twitter and have asked comic writers their opinions. Gail Simone likes Black Alice, and she's going to be written soon. Dan Didio loves Phantom Stranger and Adam Strange, one is already in, and the other will be worked in.

So who are your favorites? They can be A-List, or D-List, it's TV, they can appear. I won't reveal who I have yet as I want to hear your pics. If you want to help spread the word about this, use #ShazamTVSeries on Twitter. It'd be cool if we got that trending.

As always, I thank you for your time, and I can't wait to hear your picks.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
adzyps3
Side-Kick

Default Re: Favorite Magical And Cosmic DC Characters

My fave magic characters are Dr Fate, Shazam and Zatana
My fave Cosmic characters are Space Ghost and Adam Strange

adzyps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

well obviously SHAZAM! is in it my teleplays.

Dr. Fate made a "cameo" in season 1 but he will be in season 2, promise.

Zatanna is tricky, because she was in Smallville, I could bring her in, or I could bring in her father. We'll see how it goes.

Space Ghost is DC? I honestly didn't know that.

A second vote for Adam Strange? Ok, he's in the show.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 01-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

John Constantine is my favourite magical DC character.

I don't know a lot about DC cosmic characters but I do like Adam Strange.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Constantine is a curious case for me. I absolutely want him in the series, however, he has his own series coming to NBC and thus I doubt a crossover will be possible. If it gets cancelled though, I totally will have him in.

And yet another vote for Adam Strange, man, I might have to up his role in the series...

Old 01-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
adzyps3
Side-Kick

Yeah space ghost was brought into the DC universe with his own title.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

ok...I'm totally putting him in now. Season 3 at the latest.

SPACE GHOST!!!!!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Magical:

Jason Blood/Etrigan The Demon
Jim Corrigan/The Spectre
Dr. Fate
Madam Xanadu

Cosmic:
Adam Strange
Ultra The Multi Alien
Space Ranger
Mikaal Tomas(Starman)

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Crimson Mist: In order!

Jason Blood/Etrigan, I plan on having him in there. No timetable yet but he is too epic, and too awesome to not be put in!

The Spectre will totally be there!

Dr. Fate as stated will be coming soon. He'll probably come before the mid-season finale of Season 2.

I have Madame Xanadu in Season 1. I wanted to have a fortune telling moment, and I knew she had to do it. Oh, and she's the Pre 52 version, as in blind with the cloth over her eyes. If I had casting power, I would put Mira Furlan as Madame Xanadu.

Adam Strange will happen!

Ultra, no idea who that is, but that's what Wikipedia is for!

Space Ranger....same

I vaguely know Starman, will look up to confirm!

Some good selections so far, let's keep them coming!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
adzyps3
Side-Kick

Th Smile Re: Favorite Magical And Cosmic DC Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMist View Post
Magical:

Jason Blood/Etrigan The Demon
Jim Corrigan/The Spectre
Dr. Fate
Madam Xanadu

Cosmic:
Adam Strange
Ultra The Multi Alien
Space Ranger
Mikaal Tomas(Starman)
Ultra The Multi Alien CLASSIC pick dude and Space Ranger is in the new Freshold comic with Tommy Tomorrow

Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

as long as they're DC characters I'll do my best to put them in.

My next two teleplays are going to include Gail Simone's pick Black Alice, and one of my favorite DC characters, Static shock.

Yes, I know Static isn't magical or cosmic. I have some other characters in the series, I don't want to discriminate. For example, Wildcat plays a huge part in the series as Billy's trainer and hero mentor. The JSA existed in my universe and it is through him we'll meet Dr. Fate.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Still willing to hear your favorite Magical and Cosmic DCU characters. Your characters could be my inspiration in some scripts. let me know!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
adzyps3
Side-Kick

More good cosmic characters are Garbageman, Tanga and Robotman....from my greatest adventure.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I'm surprised no one has said Green Lantern yet. Not Hal Jordan, can't have him. But I am planning on bringing one of them in.....

Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
adzyps3
Side-Kick

green lanterns are a little over used but they are a main power in the cosmos so its understandable.

or make your own Green Lantern i could draw him / her / it / (PLEASE NOT ANOTHER HUMAN GL) for you if you wanted.

Plus more cosmic characters are LOBO and Thanagarians are advanced enough to space travel i think???

Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I am VERY tempted to do Lobo. But he'd definitely be a Season 3 character if I did.

Green Lanterns are a cosmic force, which is why I have to have them in here. Creating a new GL right off the bat would ruffle some feathers though. So I'm going one of the other GL to kick things off.

Wanna guess who I'm picking?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
adzyps3
Side-Kick

Give me a clue

you should try a lesser known GL and if the characters written good somebody could take notice ....(DC)

Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #18
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

The problem with that is logic. The question isn't, "What's the Green Lantern doing here?", it's "why is THAT Green Lantern here?" I can't have Kilowog or Tomar-Re for example show up (or B-Dgg, though he is a squirrel technically) because it would cause to much of a logic problem. It needs to be one of the lanterns of Sector 2814, at least at first.

So, given that, and the fact I can't use Hal Jordon...make a guess.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Ok.....since no one is going to guess....

Guy Gardner.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #20
adzyps3
Side-Kick

I was going to say guy gardner.

but another cosmic character that could use some love is SHADE the changing man (really old) bring him back for some action.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #21
adzyps3
Side-Kick

hmm i think shade is in justice JL dark so i think hes magic now????

Old 01-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #22
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Ironically, I know of Shade the changing man.

Would be difficult to use him though, cause I use the other Shade is Season 1. The darkness character, like the one in the Justice League cartoon, but with more ties to his comic character.

Yeah for me Guy Gardner was the obvious choice. And I will be bringing Fire and Ice into the show eventually so that could make for some fun.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
CrimsonMist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post
Ironically, I know of Shade the changing man.

Would be difficult to use him though, cause I use the other Shade is Season 1. The darkness character, like the one in the Justice League cartoon, but with more ties to his comic character.
Is your take on The Shade based on his silver age version or James Robinson's brilliant revamped take from Starman? If you haven't read Starman, you're doing yourself a great disservice.

Rac Shade is cool too. Totally forgot he was a cosmic character of sorts. Peter Milligan's take on him from the late 80's is great.

I guess another cosmic character you could use, if "cosmic" is loosely defined as a character from another planet, would be the Katar Hall Hawkman. Preferably, the Hawkworld version that Timothy Truman introduced back in 1989. DC is re-releasing the TPB of it in March, which you should check out. Great stuff there.

CrimsonMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #24
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Crimson Mist, possibly both. I'm honestly not sure. I looked up several version of The Shade and used several different aspects of his many versions to craft his character. His look (as I describe him) is reminiscent of the silver age with some modern. But I also believe I take some stuff from his Starman run, like his connection to the Darklands and things he can do with his powers.

Katar Hall would be awesome to have. I heavily emphasize, especially in the first season, that the JSA existed, Wildcat is Billy's trainer and Dr. Fate will be coming soon. I would love to add Hawkman.

It'll all depend on how the arcs shape out. I want to add as many DC characters as possible, but I also want to show they make sense being there. If a plotline opens up for him to be there, I'll put him in.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:24 AM   #25
adzyps3
Side-Kick

Knights of the galaxy ? see below