The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man Sequels

Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #101
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

Default Re: Shailene Woodley COULD BE Mary Jane Watson.....in TASM3 - Part 4

What about Katia Winter?

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #102
sl500jazz
chasin' the blues away

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Imogen, Teresa, and Karen don't fit as Ultimate-Gwen-esque MJ's; Shai, Lily and Emma R. do.
You serious? Not saying that I really like the Ultimate Gwen route, but if they are going for an 'Ultimate-Gwen-esque' edgy and tough MJ, I think Imogen or Teresa fit the bill for that more so than Shai or Lily. Especially Poots. Could be a decent blend between Ultimate Gwen and 616 MJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye1 View Post
Karen Gillan would be my pick. 5' 10" and model like.
Lol. I think Despop used that pic as a reference for this:

Anyway, she's already doing GOTG. Don't think she would sign on for this.

sl500jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #103
Bullseye1
Side-Kick

I know Des well. He agrees with me and my choice

Bullseye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #104
sl500jazz
chasin' the blues away

^ Lol. Clearly he does.

Anyway, I can see how the writers might be influenced by Ultimate Gwen for a more modern interpretation of 616 MJ. They both share that 'tortured soul' aspect and are both pretty feisty characters. The edgy personality and attitude could fit nicely with 616 MJ's party hard persona and contrasts nicely with Webb's Gwen Stacy (who is partially influenced by Ultimate MJ). They also both seem to have that "live in the moment" type mentality. Even this moment was probably meant to parallel MJ's introduction into the 616 comics:

I just hope that they don't make MJ as volatile or as much of an outcast as ultimate Gwen. One of the aspects that I love about 616 MJ is that she is so vivacious and personable that she instantly attracts attention. It's part of the facade. Much like Peter Parker when he's wearing his mask.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #105
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Think about the images we saw of Shai's MJ; do you think Imogen, Teresa, and Karen would look believable as a motorcycle-riding waitress in her late teens? Because I don't; they all look like they'd be better suited to playing an MJ who's a model and actress in her 20s.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #106
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

All of them most definitely would, Poots more than the others I feel.

Majik1387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #107
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
All of them most definitely would
Not in the pics you (I think it was you) posted.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #108
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

I haven't posted pics of them.

Back before Woodley was cast, I did have Poots and Gillan as potentials I would like to see, though I'd say Karen's out now that she's part of GotG. AndPalmer I feel is better suited for Black Cat, but she could be a good MJ too.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #109
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Sorry for getting you confused with somebody else.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #110
sl500jazz
chasin' the blues away

^ I don't know if you are familiar with those actresses or were just judging based a couple of pictures (and a physical resemblance to Woodley ), but any of them could easily fit the 18-21 yr old college student, the waitress, and the somewhat edgy/troubled 'Ultimate Gwen-esque' motorcycle riding chick if that's the direction that they end up taking in TASM3. Particularly, Imogen Poots. Someone like Margot Robbie would be more along the lines of classic 616. Anyway,we really don't know what MJ's career aspirations and interests will be. Shailene could have been playing an aspiring actress/model.

Last edited by sl500jazz; 02-22-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 AM   #111
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Yeah i don't get how waitress + bike = no desire to be a model or an actress.... That's absurd logic

spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:05 AM   #112
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ The point is conceded.

However, based on the pictures I've seen of Imogen, Teresa, Karen, and many of the other names that have been 'floated' as suggestions for MJ, they all look way too dissimilar to Shai (as beautiful as she is, the above-mentioned actresses make her look plain by comparison, which isn't a good thing if nothing about the character is changed from what little we know about how Webb and Co. were envisioning her being characterized in TASM2 before her scenes were removed).

Quote:
Old 02-22-2014, 02:12 AM   #113
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

I don't think you know what the word dissimilar means.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #114
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Yes, I do. Shailene is an actress who, while gorgeous, isn't so pretty that she wouldn't be believable as a motorcycle-riding, lower-income waitress MJ. Many of the actresses people have suggested are also gorgeous, but, based on photos, wouldn't be right for that type of interpretation of the character. They could do it, but they'd be much more suited to playing a more 'traditional' MJ, which makes them too dissimilar (different) to Shai for the purposes of filling the parameters of this role as they currently are.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #115
Angryfantasyfan
Side-Kick

One of the most stunningly beautiful women I have ever seen was a cashier at a dollar store. If the audience finds a man sticking to walls through his clothes more believable than a gorgeous woman riding a motorcycle and working at a crappy job, they need to get out more.

Why are we assuming they hired Shailene primarily for her looks, anyway? Maybe by similar to Shailene, they are looking for a talented up and coming actress.

Angryfantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #116
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Given that I don't think it's very likely that the character will be significantly rewritten/revamped even if Shai doesn't return, they will need an actress who can be believable in the role without her beauty being a distraction, which is what is more likely to happen with an actress such as Poots, Palmer, Gillan, Levi, etc. than with an actress like Collins or Emma Roberts, especially if certain parts of the audience disagree with Webb and Co.'s take on the character.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #117
sl500jazz
chasin' the blues away

I think you're making way too many assumptions based on scenes that we haven't seen and a character that was completely cut out of the narrative. The fact that they've cut the character's introduction from TASM2 and are rewriting it for TASM3 already means that she's being reworked. To what extent? Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, how do you know what the casting director's/Marc Webb's intentions were for signing Shailene Woodley to the project? How do you know that they were looking for an actress that is physically plain or unremarkable looking. Perhaps, they were under the impression that Woodley had the potential to be a stunning MJ. Perhaps, the decision to cast Woodley had nothing to do with her looks and more to do with the fact that she's a talented, up and coming, and charismatic young actress.

If they are really that hell-bent on having an MJ whose 'beauty' is nothing above average or less than average (which I doubt is the case), then any of those actresses could easily be made down (or up) depending on the director's requests. It's something that is done all of the time in Hollywood and is the reason why actresses like Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron can take on roles like Virginia Woolf and Aileen Wuornos, and why a girls like Michelle Williams can play bombshells like Marilyn Monroe.

When looking at all of the actress that went under serious consideration for the role of Gwen Stacy (girls of all different 'beauty types' with both Mia Wasikowska and Emma stone as finalists for the role), I highly doubt that the studio would limit it's potential candidates for the role based on your overly stringent and narrow criteria. I could understand trying to find a Shailene Woodley replica if the character had to be recast after already being introduced, but a Maggie Gyllenhaal/Katie Holmes situation is definitely not the case here. Btw, those two aren't even the same 'beauty type'

As a side note, I honestly believe that Emma Roberts would be a terrible choice for MJ. I have yet to be impressed by anything that she's done, and as someone else posted, something about her is just unlikable.

Last edited by sl500jazz; 02-22-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #118
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Who said they were rewriting the role? Based on the way the decision was announced, this is a "Saruman was cut from the Theatrical version of RotK"/"Rogue has been cut from DoFP" situation. It's not like they totally rewrote part of the TASM2 script so that MJ wasn't in it. They simply cut her scenes out and did some minor restructuring.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #119
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl500jazz View Post
I think you're making way too many assumptions based on scenes that we haven't seen and a character that was completely cut out of the narrative. The fact that they've cut the character's introduction from TASM2 and are rewriting it for TASM3 already means that she's being reworked. To what extent? Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, how do you know what the casting director's/Marc Webb's intentions were for signing Shailene Woodley to the project? How do you know that they were looking for an actress that is physically plain or unremarkable looking. Perhaps, they were under the impression that Woodley had the potential to be a stunning MJ. Perhaps, the decision to cast Woodley had nothing to do with her looks and more to do with the fact that she's a talented, up and coming, and charismatic young actress.

If they are really that hell-bent on having an MJ whose 'beauty' is nothing above average or less than average (which I doubt is the case), then any of those actresses could easily be made down (or up) depending on the director's requests. It's something that is done all of the time in Hollywood and is the reason why actresses like Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron can take on roles like Virginia Woolf and Aileen Wuornos, and why a girls like Michelle Williams can play bombshells like Marilyn Monroe.

When looking at all of the actress that went under serious consideration for the role of Gwen Stacy (girls of all different 'beauty types' with both Mia Wasikowska and Emma stone as finalists for the role), I highly doubt that the studio would limit it's potential candidates for the role based on your overly stringent and narrow criteria. I could understand trying to find a Shailene Woodley replica if the character had to be recast after already being introduced, but a Maggie Gyllenhaal/Katie Holmes situation is definitely not the case here. Btw, those two aren't even the same 'beauty type'

As a side note, I honestly believe that Emma Roberts would be a terrible choice for MJ. I have yet to be impressed by anything that she's done, and as someone else posted, something about her is just unlikable.
Great post.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #120
sl500jazz
chasin' the blues away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Great post.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ Who said they were rewriting the role? Based on the way the decision was announced, this is a "Saruman was cut from the Theatrical version of RotK"/"Rogue has been cut from DoFP" situation. It's not like they totally rewrote part of the TASM2 script so that MJ wasn't in it. They simply cut her scenes out and did some minor restructuring.
Well, they reshot/rewrote one of her scenes with Aunt May in her place. They didn't need to do a major overhaul of TASM2's script because MJ's presence in the film would have been very small (four scenes total). It was just a cameo introduction to set Woodley up for future films. And the difference between this and the Rogue DoFP and Saruman RotK situations is that those characters had already been introduced and established in previous films unlike MJ in Webb's universe whose introduction was completely removed from the storyline (giving them more creative freedom to do as they please with the character and make adjustments in TASM3). Also keep in mind that instead of being introduced before Gwen's death, she might potentially be introduced afterward at a later point in time, which would require more than just a little reworking. Besides, I distinctly remember Woodley saying in multiple interviews that they all felt that it didn't make much sense to introduce such a vital character the way that they had in TASM2, which probably means that the character's introduction went back to the drawing board for TASM3. Again, to what extent remains to be seen.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #121
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ None of that means they're going to totally revamp the character.... merely find a new way to introduce her.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #122
sl500jazz
chasin' the blues away

^ That's my point though. We don't know what their intentions are for the character in TASM3. We don't even really know how far into the future the next film will take place or under what circumstances MJ will be introduced. The script is still in the process of being written and the writers may decide to make some slight adjustments to the character or may decide to completely change directions. They aren't bound to anything because the character hasn't been introduced. On top of that, we don't even know what Webb's intentions were for the character in TASM2. One can assume based on set photos, but even then you could be totally off. Basically, anything is a possibility for TASM3 so saying that an actress wouldn't fit the role when we don't even know what that role is yet makes no sense.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #123
Avenging Spidey
Banned User

I'm with sl500jazz in this one. They obviously won't be limiting their cast decision on the fact that an actress is "too pretty", especially not after the Woodley fiasco perpetrated mostly because the worst scum that posts in CBM.com. I don't think Woodley is right for the role, and that isn't because of how she looks, it's just that she doesn't seem to have enough sass to play MJ the way I hope they are going for her in the sequel.

Avenging Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #124
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Shailene Woodley has done plenty of modelling. She could of pulled off aspiring model/actress MJ Watson in my opinion.

Last edited by chamber-music; 02-22-2014 at 03:04 PM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #125
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

The way I see it, Sony has an opportunity to do with Woodley the same that Fox has done with Lawrence.