The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 01-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
eatup
Side-Kick

Default Light Sabers in New Trilogy

They've tried heavy Arthurian sword light sabers in the OT. They've tried double-ended (staff) light sabers and light sabers with curved handles (Count Duku) in the Prequels. Next up, I predict they will try Final Fantasy-type big (huge) sword light sabers in Episodes 7+... They won't try a whip light saber b/c that's already done in Johnny Mnemonic.

Last edited by eatup; 01-26-2014 at 01:04 PM.
eatup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Light Sabers in New Trilogy

The lightsaber in the OT were based on samurai swords and the two hand grip style not Arthurian swords.

And no I wouldn't count on any ridiculous Final Fantasy style lightsaber. Lightsaber are consistent all throughout official canon. Abrams is a big fan of the OT he isn't going to go out into left field with this film.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Bim
Side-Kick

I like what we've gotten so far. I'm fine with them continuing with the same general line of design when it comes to lightsabers. I dont want them getting too cartoony or weird lol.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
The Endless
Side-Kick

Lightsabers should go back to how they were used in the OT. In the prequels i just became desensitized to them, they lost their charm because they were used so much and the choreography was so silly and over stylized.

The Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I hope they don't go back to the OT. It's fine if they don't want to make the choreographies as dance-y as in the PT, but I think ANH or RotJ style would be laughable for the year 2015.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
The Endless
Side-Kick

Perhaps. But i just want it like the OT in the sense that when someone pulls a lightsaber out it's a true "holy crap **** just got real" moment not "oh, another silly overly choreographed lightsaber fight". They should be used as they were originally intended, samurai swords. Not marching band twirly stick things.

And i really liked the final battle in RotJ if i'm honest. There was less control, especially in Luke's style. But it made sense as he was given into his anger. It's why the Obi Wan vs Anakin fight in RotS was laughable. Such a passionate moment for both of them yet they were twirling them around like they were going for style points in a video game or something.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Even in the OT they were used as western 2-handed swords, not samurai swords. Lucas told Gillard in the PT that he wanted them more samurai-like, actually. Of course, Gillard went overboard and he overchoreographed the fights, making them too light (I like them, mind you).

As for the "holy crap" thing, I think it's a "caring for the characters" issue, not a "pulling a saber out" one. 'Cos Yoda pulling his saber in AotC was certainly shot as a pretty cool moment, but if you didn't give a damn about the movie up till that point, it wouldn't mean much to you. For the record, I filled the cup in that scene, back in '02.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
The Endless
Side-Kick

Actually yea, the Yoda scene was great.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
eatup
Side-Kick

^ @ Above two posts. People cared about the characters in The Wizard of Oz. But, that wasn't the only thing that made the movie great even till today. It was a film that was advanced for its time featuring Technicolor and cutting edge Hollywood SFX...

Anyways, most people (like the above posters) would describe the light saber (fights) in the OT as slow and heavy, while the prequels showed us lighter swords that could be used as a weld/anti-weld to tear down spaceship doors...

Anyways, I could see some kid dressed up like Cloud (FFVII) wielding a friggin huge light saber. They had a librarian dressed up in a Japanese kimono in the prequels, so some character, maybe even the central protagonist dressed up like a space marine Cloud wouldn't be far-fetched... And, the big light sabers would be used not only for combat, but to cut down small aircrafts b4 the baddies have a chance to escape...

Or maybe, it's the Commander of a small team of Jedi's that gets to wield the big sword while his "underlings" occupy the periphery (of the battle scene) with the classic ones doing acrobatics at the same time. It's not just a matter of prestige, b/c the Commander has more responsibility to oversee the successful completion of a mission, which is why he is bestowed the honor of using the "big one".

Anyways, knowing Hollywood, they must (will?) try something different in the new trilogy to engage the audience. It would be more interesting, refreshing, something new to see a battles with much bigger light sabers b/c if people just want to see the classic ones in action, they have Episodes I-VI for that...

Last edited by eatup; 01-27-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'm thinking there's a bigger chance of them introducing lightwhips and lightaxes and other kinds of weapons getting the "light-" treatment.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
eatup
Side-Kick

^ Ewoks with lightaxes? That could work too...

Old 01-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
Lord
All Mighty

I think lightsabers should be light, they're made up of light for gods sake, it doesn't make sence for them to be heavy as steel, but the fights shouldn't be exagerated. Not everybody should have a lightsaber, Yoda and Palpatine were more interesting that way, where they were already above needing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatup View Post
^ Ewoks with lightaxes through them? That could work too...
Yes, I agree.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
eatup
Side-Kick

^ 100% agree. Make the lightsabers big, but not heavy. But fights choreography should be kept somewhere between Episode I and V/VII.

Anyways, this guy has the right idea. Link's sword would be slightly larger than a standard light saber. We just need Episodes VII and beyond to grow its dimensions, even more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcJpC3mNULw#t=173

Old 01-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

We do?

Old 01-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
Lord
All Mighty

Looks like someone has a thing for big swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3jnW2kcUs

Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
eatup
Side-Kick

^ Of course we do, silly. Disney is a company, just like all other companies that seek growth. And what better way to grow the SW franchise than to feature "huge friggin light sabers" in the new trilogy...

Old 01-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #19
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

How about tall Ewoks instead?

Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
eatup
Side-Kick

^ Have you seen the new Robocop trailer? Robocop is now a behemoth cyborg cop compared to the old one (not to mean it in a bad way, I sort of like the new Robocop's look)... Didn't know Robo's actor was so tall until they showed him face to face with the scientist that constructed him in the scene that is remiscient of Darth Vader being reconstructed after the duel with Obi Wan in Episode III...

Old 01-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
Marvolo
Side-Kick

There is nothing in Abram's repitoir or words that give any indication that his goal is to literally go bigger regardless of what hollywood may or may not be doing. If anything everything so far indicates VII is a return to the basics that made the OT so special. Hell, they are even shooting on 35mm film. If youre looking for over the top final fantasy style stuff your not gonna find it in this film.

Last edited by Marvolo; 01-27-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #22
eatup
Side-Kick

This is Hollywood we're talking about. Just trust me on this one, they won't take your admissions ticket without giving you a new form of light saber.

Doesn't matter how many times they re-make Batman, they'll never recycle the Adam West version, or the Michael Keaton version...

But that's what this thread is about: To speculate on "newness".

How interesting it would be to see the SW universe expand into the fantasy realm, sort to speak...

Now, if we can get some artist(s) in here to do a manip of Cloud as Luke Skywalker...

Last edited by eatup; 01-27-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #23
Verbal21
Side-Kick

Minus the twirling part before the force push, I really think they nailed the lightsaber fight perfect with the EP III Obi vs Anakin. Natural looking choreography that didn't seem like it was just a demonstration with a lightsaber. Each blow looked it was really meant to chop off a limb like how Luke fought in the OT.

Verbal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #24
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

For some odd reason I've always wanted to see what lightsaber-style sai would look like.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #25
Happy Jack
Iconographer

There were too many in the prequels. The impact loses its touch when everyone has their own magic sword. I get that it's meant to be a Jedi weapon but there was nothing to suggest that every Jedi actually used one. I always pictured Yoda only using the force, for instance. As far as weight goes, that has more to do with fight choreography than anything which was much too flashy and shallow in the PT.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote