The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Default Re: Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I think they were able to pick this up because Epic didn't really want to continue with it, so it was "available". I hope they do something awesome with it. I love me some good Gears of War.
Yea that's very likely. Or after Judgement, maybe Epic feels the property has past it's point of peak financial gain? Who knows? I agree that I hope MS does something really cool with it. Gears 3 is still the best multiplayer game iv ever played.

ProjectPat2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #27
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

With the direction that Epic is going and the inability to bring the previous games of the series onto other platforms, I think the IP just didn't fit in very well with the company and probably somewhat diminished its value in their eyes.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #28
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I think they were able to pick this up because Epic didn't really want to continue with it, so it was "available". I hope they do something awesome with it. I love me some good Gears of War.
Yes, Epic seem to have done what they wanted with the series with Gears 3. After that the enthusiasm wasn't there and there was certainly unwanted pressure (including from TenCent & likely Microsoft) around to deliver a rushed cash in game (Judgment) that failed. And add in the departure of nearly all the big names who'd worked on the successful earlier games. Don't think it would have been such a simple matter picking up the rights between 2006 and shortly after Gears 3's release.

And now that Microsoft have it and have allocated it to Black Tusk, it's going to be one of their biggest games to push after Halo and should get a very healthy production and marketing budget. I'm expecting the next Gears to be comprehensive and fully featured in all areas, solo campaign, arcade and 4 player co-op campaign, multiplayer, Horde, Overrun plus any new stuff they come up with. Getting Rod Fergusson back shows an intent to go back to what made the series good rather than the direction Judgment took.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #29
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
With the direction that Epic is going and the inability to bring the previous games of the series onto other platforms, I think the IP just didn't fit in very well with the company and probably somewhat diminished its value in their eyes.
Do you think Epic's future projects will be multiplatform?

Old 01-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
You'd have to assume they would be.

ProjectPat2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #31
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I think it's going to be a combination of improving development technology for other developers to license, a focus on mobile, and the occasional multiplat game. An IP that has become so intertwined with just one platform and previous entries that cannot be fully exploited just doesn't fit in with Epic anymore.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #32
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Sounds about right. I think they could do with a massive multiplatform game to be the poster boy for their new engine.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #33
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Quote:
I don't see them going on an IP speending binge. The only other IP I can see them buying would be Dead Rising from Capcom or scoop some up when a publisher goes out of business.

What I think they will be doing instead is try to expand their list of active IPs by making new ones like we're seeing with Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive and Team Dakota's Project Spark and them mining their treasure chest of inactive IPs like we've seen with Killer Instinct.
Even though I love Dead Rising, I'd hate to see it be torn away from Capcom; I love seeing Frank West in all of the Capcom crossover games. I wonder if it's likely that MS could just outright buy Capcom since they're in trouble? The Capcom franchises would put them in the same league as Nintendo. Though, I'd rather Disney just buy Capcom for infinite Marvel vs Capcom & Ducktales games.

I definitely see MS reviving Banjo-Kazooie & Crackdown, we might even see them at E3. Conker, Viva Pinata & maybe even Perfect Dark could be in the cards as well.

MS needs to push exclusives this gen to try & catch up with Sony, who are clearly in the lead at this point. Games make the console & MS needs to have more than just 4 prominent exclusives.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #34
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

The possibility of Crackdown 3 was mentioned at the link earlier.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #35
Benstamania
Shot first.

I hope that we get a Banjo Three-ie.

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #36
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I think we'll definitely see a new Banjo this gen, whether we see more than one is the real question. I hope the franchise comes back in full force this gen, if Banjo becomes big again then Microsoft could have their "Big Three" (Master Chief, Marcus Fenix & Banjo) like how Nintendo has their "Big Three".

Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #37
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Microsoft gave a lot of attention to the Rare IPs. They never knew how to treat the studio and it's been forced to reduce itself from making great creative classics to Kinect games. And whenever Microsoft tried to invest in Rare IPs, like they did with Conker: Live and Reloaded, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and Perfect Dark Zero, they just end up being busts. And it's hard to judge how Microsoft is doing with Killer Instinct due to the nature of it being a downloadable only FTP title.

I'm thinking that Microsoft will be looking more at their non-Rare IPs like Crackdown (which is rumored to get another game in the series), one more shot at Ryse, Alan Wake, Age of Empires, etc.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 AM   #38
Benstamania
Shot first.

Is that on MS or RARE? I think rare died after Banjo Twoie.. (unless Conkers came out after that) DK64 imho was terrible and just a bad Banjo game with a DK paint job.

KI is apparently very good despite its downloaded able option.

If Rare doesn't do Banjo.. I'm sure they could find a good developer, in house, that could.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #39
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

While Rare was on the downhill before Microsoft acquired them (just look at Star Fox Adventures and games like Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Perfect Dark Zero, and Kameo would have been no different quality wise if they ended up on the GameCube like they originally intended), the acquisition by Microsoft was the ultimate deathblow to the company. Microsoft was so ignorant about Rare that they thought they were getting the Donkey Kong IP with Rare.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #40
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
Is that on MS or RARE? I think rare died after Banjo Twoie.. (unless Conkers came out after that) DK64 imho was terrible and just a bad Banjo game with a DK paint job.

KI is apparently very good despite its downloaded able option.

If Rare doesn't do Banjo.. I'm sure they could find a good developer, in house, that could.
I agree, everyone likes to blame Ms because its easy but Rare was terrible waaay before they ever acquired them. I hope they do take advantage of the ips they got with the acquisition though. As we learned already, Rare doesn't have to make the game for it to be good. Double Helix knocked it out of the park with Killer Instinct, another studio could rock Banjo and Kazooie easily.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #41
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I wouldn't say that Rare was terrible before Microsoft acquired them. I think that if Nintendo bought them, they would have made the necessary investments to turn the studio around. Even though it was on the downhill, it still had a lot of potential in it.

And Microsoft deserves a lot of blame. They really never understood what the company really was (some executives thought that they bought Donkey Kong) and they ended up shelving a lot of games because Microsoft forced them into a direction that eventually ended up with them being a Kinect factory. They chased away the talent. And it's been pretty well reported that Microsoft just completely mismanaged the studio.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #42
Benstamania
Shot first.

I do think that MS originally bought Rare simply so Nintendo couldn't have them.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #43
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Sounds like they just wanted Donkey Kong and made a major **** up!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #44
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
I wouldn't say that Rare was terrible before Microsoft acquired them. I think that if Nintendo bought them, they would have made the necessary investments to turn the studio around. Even though it was on the downhill, it still had a lot of potential in it.

And Microsoft deserves a lot of blame. They really never understood what the company really was (some executives thought that they bought Donkey Kong) and they ended up shelving a lot of games because Microsoft forced them into a direction that eventually ended up with them being a Kinect factory. They chased away the talent. And it's been pretty well reported that Microsoft just completely mismanaged the studio.
Eh the talent was gone. Their last good game was Perfect Dark. Conker used shock value to hide its awfulness, Star Fox was poor and made worse by Nintendo. DK64 was nothing but a bazillion boring collection quests. Jet Force Gemini was awesome and I want a xbox one sequel. No doubt Ms mismanaged them but they were new to the gaming world but to say they ruined them is laughable, Rare was already bad.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #45
Benstamania
Shot first.

Th Smile Re: Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise

Quote:
Sounds like they just wanted Donkey Kong and made a major **** up!
Yep. Like they thought gobbling up DK would kill Nintendo.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #46
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I have no idea how they could think that since DK is so closely connected to Mario.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #47
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

That just pisses me off.... because Nintendo would at least have made use out of those Rare franchises... Microsoft seem happy to let Banjo and Conker wallow forever in some kind of video game hell.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #48
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Nintendo wouldn't use Conker; they barely promoted the first game because it didn't fit with their kid friendly image. They'd probably have used Rare for Banjo & DKC games, which isn't a bad thing.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #49
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Eh the talent was gone. Their last good game was Perfect Dark. Conker used shock value to hide its awfulness, Star Fox was poor and made worse by Nintendo. DK64 was nothing but a bazillion boring collection quests. Jet Force Gemini was awesome and I want a xbox one sequel. No doubt Ms mismanaged them but they were new to the gaming world but to say they ruined them is laughable, Rare was already bad.
I liked Conker and Perfect Dark. Their first real mediocre game IMO was Star Fox Adventures. And the talent wasn't gone, they were still there such as the founding Stamper Brothers. Most of the talent that made Rare what it was left after Microsoft bought the studio and they didn't like the culture that Microsoft was creating.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #50
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Nintendo wouldn't use Conker; they barely promoted the first game because it didn't fit with their kid friendly image. They'd probably have used Rare for Banjo & DKC games, which isn't a bad thing.
I agree with you on Conker. It really didn't fit with Nintendo's image at all. But, I think Nintendo would have used non-kiddie IPs like Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, and Battletoads much more effectively than Microsoft has.