Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:24 AM   #151
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: "By The Goddess!": The Official Storm Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Sure it does, if said sound effects denote the sound of "wind". Again, her cape and hair are also blowing.

What's so bad about the wirework?

Seeing as how you can't see wind, as has been pointed out several times already, this is kind of a nitpicky complaint if they show the cape, the hair, and some indication of wind when she's in flight or gliding, which they do in several different ways in X3. In the final battle for instance, when wind kicks up during the final battle, dust goes into the air around her until she is taken down.

I can't remember any specific instances where she's actually creating storms and her eyes don't "white out". Were you referring to any in particular? I don't think she was depicted as needing to concentrate that much for just wind.
Well, I never expected to "see" wind since it's invisible. But the effects of it should be seen. It was just inconsistent. In the third act at Alcatraz you can see her hair being blown back as she rises (before Callisto jumps her). But later, when Logan told her to go so he could confront Jean, she just took off like Superman: her eyes stayed brown and there was not even a hint of breeze effect on her or Logan. This detail was also missed in the Danger Room sequence: she was channeling her powers--even transporting Logan with her in one instance--and yet her eyes never went white. If they have to go white when she clears fog at Alkali Lake, when she went airborne at Jean Grey's home, or summons dozens of tornadoes in X2, consistency would suggest the same for the above instances.

Storm's flight abilities are not innate like Superman's: it takes controlled effort. Think about it: to hoist a 100-plus pound object in the air takes a significant gale force. That's why I mentioned the X1 elevator sequence: there was a LOT of wind moving which is why her decending on Toad looked all the more realistic and scary.

Of course, I respect one has to suspend some disbelief. But I do believe that X3's production was a bit inconsistent on those details. The production was so rushed. I also think the producers knew it too; that's why some of the worst examples got cut. One was a "tidal wave" sequence where Storm is floating in mid air and nothing is blowing at all.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 AM   #152
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I thought the wire work in the elevator scene was atrocious. I don't get complaining about the wire work in X3 when the wirework has been subpar throughout the entire series.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:40 AM   #153
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I thought the wire work in the elevator scene was atrocious. I don't get complaining about the wire work in X3 when the wirework has been subpar throughout the entire series.
Wire work is a necessary evil. I am criticizing more about the finishing details that should make the wire work look believable.

For example, the jerky wire work could actually work for Storm's on screen power displays. Why? Because wind is a rocky, volatile element. Therefore Storm's flight should have less precision than say someone who is graceful like Superman.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:46 AM   #154
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

There is no longer an excuse for the wire work that has been in pretty much X-Men film so far. It is bad. Even Magneto's in First Class was horrible. If we can have some of the shots in MoS, there is no excuse. Clark levitates in the air magnificently.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 AM   #155
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Wire work is a necessary evil. I am criticizing more about the finishing details that should make the wire work look believable.

For example, the jerky wire work could actually work for Storm's on screen power displays. Why? Because wind is a rocky, volatile element. Therefore Storm's flight should have less precision than say someone who is graceful like Superman.
I get what you are saying and I don't necessarily disagree, I think it's a good idea to keep her flying powers wind based.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 AM   #156
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Fan View Post

Give her some white hair and its a go. The blue eyes and white hair is supposed to take people off guard and on dark skin it has potential to look stunning in a live-action X-Men flim.
Quoted for truth I agree she would look amazing with those eyes and the hair. Yaya would make a stunning younger Storm if they decided to do that but Idk if she can act I know that she was a model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoSeiDon View Post
But we're talking about Mr. Singer here, lol. He doesn't like fantasy!
Agreed I just wish he would step out of his box a little more this is fantasy he should go all out,

Storm #1-July 23 2014-Preorder your copy today
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 AM   #157
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique'sbooty View Post
On a serious note. Here is the problem with Storm. Just about ANY Black actress that portrays her is never going to have it down to the T. whether it be in acting ability, attitude, or physical stats. Storm is simply one of those characters that when created,seems otherworldly and hard to capture in reality,unless the director takes a more subtle approach..but even then it isn't guaranteed success.

Even the most beloved fan favorite that could have been Storm first(ala Angela Basset)
cannot nail down everything about Ororo. Angela is darker than Halle skintone wise,but she isn't extremely Bantu Nubian Goddess dark like most would like Ororo to be portrayed, she isn't a tall regal looking woman either.

Iman Supermodel extraordinaire ,even though she had the look,she's still isn't a skilled actor

A lot of people want Zoe for a younger Storm, but Zoe Saldana is even more meek in presence than Halle. Zoe is in the same damn exact spot Halle was a couple of years ago,she IS the "it" Black girl of Hollywood at the moment. It really pisses me off that we don't have more Black actresses that are equally as big,instead of having token ones each era.

Halle isn't in her exact prime anymore,but she is still a talented and skilled actor. She's made a couple of missteps(Catwoman ,Movie 43) as every actor has,but IMO it's because again Hollywood doesn't give ethnic people diversity of roles to pick form like they give for white actors/actresses. Sadly, the truth is if you are an Actor of color,you are either type cast or that "token" Insert race________ character.

Just look at all the movies from the past year or 2 with Black actors in them,and look what era they are based on

12 years A Slave
The Butler
Django

I'm sick of the Halle hate.like she is more than capable of pulling off a dramatic but yet regal and refined Storm,but yet the writing had called for her demure portrayal. Halle should have better offerings and she should definitely be on the silver screen a lot more than she has lately. Hopefully her new TV series is good.
Just for the record I dont hate Halle but IMO, Halle is beautiful but she is really just an ok actress not phenomenal. There isnt a movie in which I seen Halle pull of regal,every movie Ive seen her in its like Halle playing Halle.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:17 AM   #158
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
The wire work in X2 is beyond executed well. You may disagree with the stylistic choice to use it, but it goes off without a hitch, unlike in X-Men or The Last Stand where the actors are noticeably jerking around midair. The Last Stand gets flack because it's the third film in the franchise, with the biggest budget, so one would think they would have the process down by then or have the money to at least ensure characters like Jean Grey can achieve a relatively simple task, like levitate off the ground, without visibly rocking back-and-forth while doing it.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:18 AM   #159
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

If it looks bad, how is that "without a hitch"?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 AM   #160
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

When she came out of the elevator shaft in X1 I agree that it was shaky looking, but when she landed and started walking towards Toad with lightning and wind blaring that was like my favorite scene in the franchise.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 AM   #161
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Is that down to execution or your love for Storm?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:38 AM   #162
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Are you talking to me?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:38 AM   #163
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
If it looks bad, how is that "without a hitch"?
I may not prefer the stylistic choice of having Wolverine sail across the room in overly dramatic fashion, but that doesn't negate my ability to recognize that he makes it from point A to point B in a smooth and single motion, without sloppily jerking around midair.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:40 AM   #164
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdMe View Post
Are you talking to me?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I may not like the stylistic choice of having Wolverine sail across the room in overly dramatic fashion, but that doesn't negate my ability to recognize that he makes it from point A to point B in a smooth and single motion, without sloppily jerking around midair.
It also doesn't negate how fake it looks.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 AM   #165
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I'm sorry but I didn't see this "beyond well executed" wirework in X2. And I'm not even going to argue with anyone who says it was even okay in the first X-Men film, that's just ridiculous to me.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 AM   #166
Crimz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post

Lol, i'm half expecting her to transform into wonder woman.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:56 AM   #167
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Yes.

It was probably a mixture of both. Of course Storm is my all time favorite character but that scene to me was just epic, when she stopped and outstretched her arms breaking the windows and doors I was screaming. I thought it was executed well.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 AM   #168
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
It's as much down to his "love of Storm" as your question is fueled by your dislike for her. See how that works?

Old 01-31-2014, 05:06 AM   #169
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I don't dislike Storm. More indifferent to the character. I most definitely dislike Halle's Storm, and it is scenes like that make it so. Her acting is horrible throughout the series.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 AM   #170
Crimz
Side-Kick

I want her to die in this film, as a kind of symbol of her being replaced in upcoming movies. I don't want to suffer through another Halle Berry with Storm's powers, because she is only playing herself not Storm. I don't want her in any more movies after this.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 AM   #171
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
I want her to die in this film, as a kind of symbol of her being replaced in upcoming movies. I don't want to suffer through another Halle Berry with Storm's powers, because she is only playing herself not Storm. I don't want her in any more movies after this.
I dont necessarily want her to die but I do agree totally with this. im hoping that DOFP she changes my opinion
Quote:
I don't dislike Storm. More indifferent to the character. I most definitely dislike Halle's Storm, and it is scenes like that make it so. Her acting is horrible throughout the series.
You didnt like the elevator shaft scene?

Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 AM   #172
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Over the top? No doubt, but that doesn't mean it isn't executed properly.

Quote:
I'm sorry but I didn't see this "beyond well executed" wirework in X2.
Compared to the other X-films? I did, and that's why people criticize its follow up more. Ian McKellen levitating and rotating in Cerebro? Better than Halle Berry levitating in the elevator shaft in X-Men or Jean Grey levitating in The Last Stand. There isn't a hitch in McKellen's movement. Complicated scenes like Nightcrawler jumping through the White House or Rogue being sucked out of the X-Jet? Better than almost anything else in the X-films, so much so I doubt anyone even thinks to consider those scenes when discussing the use of wire work in the franchise. Wolverine sailing across the room during his confrontation with Deathstryke? Smooth, as far as I can tell, unlike Sabretooth during his confrontation with Storm, Storm's initial flight in the Danger Room in The Last Stand, or Banshee wobbling all over the place in First Class. Though, Banshee's close up before diving into the water is superb.

Quote:
And I'm not even going to argue with anyone who says it was even okay in the first X-Men film, that's just ridiculous to me.
I guess it's good no one is saying that then?

Last edited by BMM; 01-31-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #173
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdMe View Post
You didnt like the elevator shaft scene?
Nope. Looks corny, and her line delivery is bad.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #174
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:

Compared to the other X-films? I did, and that's why people criticize its follow up more. Ian McKellen levitating and rotating in Cerebro? Better than Halle Berry levitating in the elevator shaft in X-Men or Jean Grey levitating in The Last Stand. There isn't a hitch in McKellen's movement. Complicated scenes like Nightcrawler jumping through the White House or Rogue being sucked out of the X-Jet? Better than almost anything else in the X-films, so much so I doubt anyone even thinks to consider it when discussing the use of wire work in the franchise. Wolverine sailing across the room during his confrontation with Deathstryke? Smooth, as far as I can tell, unlike Sabretooth during his confrontation with Storm, Storm's initial flight in the Danger Room in The Last Stand, or Banshee wobbling all over the place in First Class. Though, Banshee's close up before diving into the water is superb.

I guess it's good no one is saying that then?
McKellen's movements were flawless he actually looked good doing so.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 AM   #175
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
How does that change how it looks? Even if you consider it executed properly, it doesn't look good.