The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

View Poll Results: Do you think a StarJammers Film could be FOX's Gaurdians of the Galaxy?
Yes - They need to jump on this opportunity! 3 33.33%
No 4 44.44%
Maybe (explained on a post) 1 11.11%
You're Crazy!!! 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Default StarJammers Could Be FOX's Gaurdians of the Galaxy - Discuss

FOX has the perfect opportunity to create a series of films based in the universe outside of earth while maintaining a connection to the earthbound mutants. I speak of course about Corsair, Scott and Alex's father's story. The film could start with Corsair and his wife being abducted by the Shi-ar and having Scott and Alex parachute to safety. The film could then cut to the present where Corsair is the leader of the StarJammers. The first film could deal with D'Ken and Corsair's revenge story. Then they could introduce Gabriel Summers in the second film. You can let your imagination run wild from there. Ultimately the films could cross over with the X-Men universe.
The M'kraan crystal, and maybe even the actual Phoenix force could be introduced along the way as well.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Dr. Remy Lebeau; 01-13-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Dr. Remy Lebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Default Re: StarJammers Could Be FOX's Gaurdians of the Galaxy - Discuss

Don't think it would or should be in the same tone as GOTG, but I certainly think it's a viable opportunity for the X-Men franchise. Of course, it runs the risk of being seen as a copycat version of GOTG so they would need make it very distinct in that aspect.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

I don't think the Starjammers have to be anything like GOTG at all. First Galactic tales are their own genre. Plus u can approach this film from a completely different end. Corsair being the sane leader understanding the magnitude of their mission trying to protect Earth from Shiar invasion or something. Just when all fails the Star jammers get what Mr Summer has been preaching and save the day

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #4
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

You misunderstood me. I don't think Fox needs to copy any aspect of Guardians. But the StarJammers could be the X-Men cinematic universe equivalent to Guardians in terms of the outerspace elements/ space pirate characters and adventures. An adept director could turn it into something special, unique and separate from Guardians, but as enjoyable and successful. That's all I'm saying.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
magneto23
Side-Kick

Could totally see it. They could even make a movie all about the Shi'ar Empire and it could work. Plenty of material there.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Remy Lebeau View Post
You misunderstood me. I don't think Fox needs to copy any aspect of Guardians. But the StarJammers could be the X-Men cinematic universe equivalent to Guardians in terms of the outerspace elements/ space pirate characters and adventures. An adept director could turn it into something special, unique and separate from Guardians, but as enjoyable and successful. That's all I'm saying.
got it
sounds sweet

Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
Could totally see it. They could even make a movie all about the Shi'ar Empire and it could work. Plenty of material there.
Indeed, it is a rich world that can be explored with or without a connection to the X-Men. I think connecting to the X-Men though, with an emphasis on Corsair would make Fox's cinematic universe more robust and ultimately more of a draw.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
Zarex
Side-Kick

I doubt FOX goes in this direction. Outside of their core X-Men franchise, the trend has been for budgets to get smaller - The Wolverine had its budget reduced, FF(INO) looks like a cheap rights grab, and I doubt either Deadpool or Gambit: The Movie are going to break the bank. Starjammers has zero name recognition, and unlike Guardians, Marvel isn't going to be helping FOX get the name out. I don't see it happening.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I doubt FOX goes in this direction. Outside of their core X-Men franchise, the trend has been for budgets to get smaller - The Wolverine had its budget reduced, FF(INO) looks like a cheap rights grab, and I doubt either Deadpool or Gambit: The Movie are going to break the bank. Starjammers has zero name recognition, and unlike Guardians, Marvel isn't going to be helping FOX get the name out. I don't see it happening.
I don't think Guardians' success what dependent on Marvel (I'm assuming you mean comics) helping to get the name out. It had everything to do with the marketing of what was a well told/acted/ and directed story. That's all that is necessary for a film of this type to be successful.

As far as the budgets go, DOFP went up from First Class. Also, The Wolverine is a standalone character film that was based on a story that didn't require a huge budget. Plus, with the success Marvel has been having, I'm sure Fox is ready to take some similar calculated risks in order to attempt to strike it's own gold.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #10
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Remy Lebeau View Post
I don't think Guardians' success what dependent on Marvel (I'm assuming you mean comics) helping to get the name out. It had everything to do with the marketing of what was a well told/acted/ and directed story. That's all that is necessary for a film of this type to be successful.
In addition to a push in the comics, Disney Consumer products went all in on Guardians, going so far as creating an entire new product line that was in stores before the film hit theaters. Not having control over merchandise means that FOX won't have similar visibility or a revenue stream - no dancing Ch'od dolls, cartoons or video games. I don't see FOX making the required investment.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
In addition to a push in the comics, Disney Consumer products went all in on Guardians, going so far as creating an entire new product line that was in stores before the film hit theaters. Not having control over merchandise means that FOX won't have similar visibility or a revenue stream - no dancing Ch'od dolls, cartoons or video games. I don't see FOX making the required investment.
From what I understand about the license contract, they need Marvel's approval to make merchandise all together so I think it goes beyond Fox's willingness to make that kind of investment. These facts notwithstanding, DOFP did pretty well with no merchandising. All Fox needs to do is position StarJammers as having a strong relationship to the X-verse (through the Summers link).

Plus the StarJammmers made a big appearance in the 90's cartoon, making the average non-comic reading fanboys/girls aware enough about the property to give it a bigger built in audience than Guardians had. Thus I think it has more going for it than Guardians did outside of the comic reading community making it even more viable as a potential success. Once again it would come down to good storytelling, casting , and directing.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Do you have anything positive to say without not involving studio wars?

"Not everybody heals as fast as you" - X3
"Easy pal" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I apologize for attempting to respond to the thread topic in a logical fashion.

How about this?

Starjammers rule!!! Go FOX!!!

Better?

Old 01-15-2015, 11:03 PM   #14
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Cool story bro.

"Not everybody heals as fast as you" - X3
"Easy pal" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 01-16-2015, 12:17 AM   #15
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

Lol
All of a sudden it's impossible to make a movie without a toy line.

LOL wat
Naw not needed

Old 01-16-2015, 04:56 AM   #16
JEM
Side-Kick

If X men Apoc, Deadpool and Gambit work in box office, StarJammers could be a real possibility. Beside, it 's a logical step with the Shiar' Empire.
Now, nobody can say if Fox will made the movie or not. We will see Black Panthers and Ms Marvel because Captain America, Thor or Gaurdians of the Galaxy worked in box office .

The logic is the same with Fox.

Last edited by JEM; 01-16-2015 at 05:04 AM.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #17
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
If X men Apoc, Deadpool and Gambit work in box office, StarJammers could be a real possibility. Beside, it 's a logical step with the Shiar' Empire.
Now, nobody can say if Fox will made the movie or not. We will see Black Panthers and Ms Marvel because Captain America, Thor or Gaurdians of the Galaxy worked in box office .

The logic is quite different. Disney and WB both own their respective IPs. They're not renting like FOX. "X-Men in Space" is extremely risky, much more so than GOTG, and FOX doesn't have the potential revenue streams from launching a new pricey franchise to make the cost worthwhile.

Deadpool, Gambit, X-Force, New Mutants? Sure, no problem. Starjammers? I don't see it happening.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #18
JEM
Side-Kick

Quote:
The logic is quite different. Disney and WB both own their respective IPs. They're not renting like FOX. "X-Men in Space" is extremely risky, much more so than GOTG, and FOX doesn't have the potential revenue streams from launching a new pricey franchise to make the cost worthwhile.

Deadpool, Gambit, X-Force, New Mutants? Sure, no problem. Starjammers? I don't see it happening.

I think it also depends on Singer, Kinberg, Shudler. Since First Class, Fox gives them whatever they want because Fox trust them. If Deadpool, Gambit, X-Force and Apoc are successful, they will have more influence.

For Starjammers, I think introducing Corsaire in X Men vs Shiar could be a good set up.

Last edited by JEM; 01-16-2015 at 08:04 AM.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #19
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Everything he said was valid, logical, and had literally nothing to do with "studio wars". Funny how you extrapolated that though.

Sony is the only home Spidey has ever had. Marvel gave him away as a baby and Sony raised him. Going "home" is actually going away from home and back to a family that never cared for him and gave him away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealKenneth View Post
Iron man 3 was a failure! If Iron Man 3 was a success, Marvel would have signed RDJ on for Iron Man 4 and Iron Man 5.
Flint Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #20
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Cool story bro.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #21
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post

Well said.

Quote:

Gaurdians was not 'Avengers in space', yet with a breadthy cinematic universe in existence, the loose connections the film had to the rest of the universe was enough to draw in the Avengers' filmgoer. StarJammmers wouldn't be 'X-Men in space', it would be a space opera, focussing on Corsair's revenge story at first (call is a Kill Bill, without the Bill and with a D'Ken). It would have a loose connection to the X-Men, as Corsair would clearly be established as Scott's dad at the intro, and leave it at that. There is a lot of the Shi-ar universe to explore that would not necessarily have anything to do with the X-Men (yet). My point is, that the film would have its own identity, and would simply need a strong cinematic universe pedigree to flourish (referring back to Jem's point).

Old 01-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #22
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

StarJammers could work, but I don't see it as 'Fox's GoTG' nor do I think Fox will rush to do it at this point, because it will be seen as emulating GOTG.

For space stuff, Fox has Avatar.

I think some cosmic elements could work, though. Starjammers needn't be a standalone project. They have two choices - make it entirely separate and not even bring in the Corsair link at first, or tie it firmly to the X-Men series. Making it entirely standalone does look a little like a copy of GoTG.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #23
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

^ Agreed. I think they'd be smart to just tie them into an existing X-Men movie, especially one where Phoenix is involved. I think that'd be a lot easier to help expand the X-Men universe.

Fox has a lot of other untapped X-teams and franchises that I think should be top priority such as X-Force, X-Factors, New Mutants etc.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:20 AM   #24
Dr. Remy Lebeau
The doctor is in chere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
StarJammers could work, but I don't see it as 'Fox's GoTG' nor do I think Fox will rush to do it at this point, because it will be seen as emulating GOTG.

For space stuff, Fox has Avatar.

I think some cosmic elements could work, though. Starjammers needn't be a standalone project. They have two choices - make it entirely separate and not even bring in the Corsair link at first, or tie it firmly to the X-Men series. Making it entirely standalone does look a little like a copy of GoTG.
I don't think Fox 'emulating' Marvel is necessarily a bad thing. Samsung is a successful business venture that emulates Apple.

Also, I don't see why Fox can't have two franchises that deal with "space stuff". They once had Star Wars and Alien.

As far as the choices you've given them, wouldn't making StarJammers a completely separate film without the Corsair link be unwise for them? Given that they can link it to X-Men, without the film overtly being an X-Film, not linking it seems like a missed opportunity. Your other option of tying it firmly to the X-Men would work, but again, from a business standpoint, if you can have an X-Men film one year, and a Starjammers film another, with each being independently successful at the box office, that makes more sense than to just make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
^ Agreed. I think they'd be smart to just tie them into an existing X-Men movie, especially one where Phoenix is involved. I think that'd be a lot easier to help expand the X-Men universe.

Fox has a lot of other untapped X-teams and franchises that I think should be top priority such as X-Force, X-Factors, New Mutants etc.
I would love for a proper Phoenix X-Men film with the inclusion of the StarJammers, but given the way the Phoenix was explained in the 3rd film, it would be a hard one to pull off. Plus the studio probably wouldn't allow for that same story to be retold given all the other possible stories they could tell. Now, if they introduced the M'Kraan crystal, and introduced the Phoenix force that way, a it's protector, then that could work. I think that story would work best as a standalone StarJammmers film.

I do want X-Force, X-Factor and New Mutants films, but there's no reason they can't make those AND a StarJammers film.

Last edited by Dr. Remy Lebeau; 01-18-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:52 AM   #25
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yes theres a reason... Imo those titles arent just important to Fox right now or else we would have gotten it a long time. Deadpool and Gambit are in the works because they are probably cheaper to produce. Starjammers is a pretty big risk for Fox.. it is set in space and visually it would need a lot of work. And I doubt if they make it... theyll sell it as a family comedy film. So appeal.for a starjammers film.is limited compare to a X-Men team film like Dofp.