The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #26
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - - - Part 12

I wonder of Marvel's trying to draw a parallel to Damage's Patty Hewes character with their Nick Fury poster:

Which I guess makes Steve the Ellen analogue

Old 01-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #27
LEOZZTT
Side-Kick

Right, so what exactly would be a more appropriate/less sexualized poster that features a character that uses sex as a weapon AND is played by Scarlett Johansson?

Black Widow reading a book? Organizing SHIELD files? Fastening the Quinjet's seatbelt?

Nick Fury's poster is much more graphic. The sexual flame on his eyes (I mean, eye) is palpable. That's kinda degenerating to powerful black men. They are more than a piece of meat.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #28
Six
Six Six Six

I am absolutely appalled at the sexualization of Black Widow in that picture

I mean, in todays day and age why do we still have these awful double standards?

I mean, the poster shows that she is a woman and you can clearly see the outline of her body

its like theyre trying to appeal to certain demographics

i could literally do this all day but i'd rather not spend my time looking up pictures of shirtless superheroes because there are simply too many

Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #29
Six
Six Six Six

Its funny because if Black Widow wore a suit that didn't show off her curves like a burka people would be complaining about them hiding her body and repressing her sexuality. its a lose-lose situation.

IMO I think its about time we got a Black Widow movie and one of Marvel's obligatory unnecessary sweaty shirtless protagonist scenes

Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #30
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post
Its funny because if Black Widow wore a suit that didn't show off her curves like a burka people would be complaining about them hiding her body and repressing her sexuality. its a lose-lose situation.

IMO I think its about time we got a Black Widow movie and one of Marvel's obligatory unnecessary sweaty shirtless protagonist scenes
The last bit is great, haha.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #31
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Just wait when WW's costume has cleavage and short shorts to show off her legs and thighs in Batman vs. Superman; chaos would ensue.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #32
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
I am absolutely appalled at the sexualization of Black Widow in that picture

I mean, in todays day and age why do we still have these awful double standards?

I mean, the poster shows that she is a woman and you can clearly see the outline of her body

its like theyre trying to appeal to certain demographics

i could literally do this all day but i'd rather not spend my time looking up pictures of shirtless superheroes because there are simply too many
You forgot this:

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #33
Six
Six Six Six

All I can say about the black widow poster is that the photoshop is god damn awful and whoever did it deserves absolutely no pay whatsoever. Why can't these big budget movie companies get competent people to make their posters?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #34
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

What's strange to me is that basically the main reason posters are half-assed nowadays is because they do little-to-nothing to actually raise awareness of the movie; but if that's the case why not throw the obviously-minimal paycheck at some creative starving artists from the internet or something to create some kickass new posters - don't even have to be the "Struzan"-like kind everyone jizzes over, just something fresh. It would garner far more attention than a standard 'shopped promo image from a photoshoot of bored actors.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:28 PM   #35
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Though the new posters all have their characters in different angles, I kinda like it. And I like that they are continuing MS' tradition in releasing character posters.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #36
Broseph44
Dats what I'm saying

Quote:
All I can say about the black widow poster is that the photoshop is god damn awful and whoever did it deserves absolutely no pay whatsoever. Why can't these big budget movie companies get competent people to make their posters?
Wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Whiskey holy **** hahahahaha

Dats it!

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #37
Gr0oT
I AM GROOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
What's strange to me is that basically the main reason posters are half-assed nowadays is because they do little-to-nothing to actually raise awareness of the movie; but if that's the case why not throw the obviously-minimal paycheck at some creative starving artists from the internet or something to create some kickass new posters - don't even have to be the "Struzan"-like kind everyone jizzes over, just something fresh. It would garner far more attention than a standard 'shopped promo image from a photoshoot of bored actors.
I miss the old painted posters they used to do, what comes to mind for me are the Nightmare on Elm Street ones, they'd be better then the movies half the time.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #38
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Holy ****, people are seriously *****ing over that Black Widow poster being "sexist"? Not to mention she is fully clothed and kicks ass.

Where do we draw the line? Should we just not have women in movies at all?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #39
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Seems some people have forgotten how to discuss new photos/news/info (without getting their PC panties in a wad) since it's been awhile between the first trailer and now today's releases. Hopefully things get better once the SB trailer is released.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #40
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Please, create something better and come back. I'll wait.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #41
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Why bother having women in the film? Everything is going to be refracted as sexist by a group that operates on one paradigm. Replace Widow with Dum Dum Dugan--who took a hit of the Infinity formula--and make it a buddy adventure. Problem solved.
There is still horrible sexism in Hollywood and society and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. Yes things have gotten better and I hope they get even better in the future.

The only reason I'm not up in arms about the pose is because I've never seen Scar Jo's Black Widow as anything more than a boring piece of eye candy. I'll still keep voicing my opinons about sexism in cinema and annoy people who ignore it or think it's a good thing and I support the people that do the same, eventhough I'm not completely joining this time for the aforementioned reasons.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #42
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Lol I can't believe this is still being discussed. This really needs to end already.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #43
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr0oT View Post
I miss the old painted posters they used to do, what comes to mind for me are the Nightmare on Elm Street ones, they'd be better then the movies half the time.

Hells yeah, using concept art as posters in the early IM3 ones was a good start - but why not bring back movie posters as like a legitimate art form? Might as well, they're like dead weight at this point - being used more to promote awareness of an upcoming trailer rather than the film.

Speaking of which, despite people's complaints about them, trailers have gotten awesome and cutting them has become a talent in its own right. I've rewatched trailers after the seeing the movie when they're good enough (The Wolf of Wall Street's first trailer is great); I just want some modern posters I can hang on my wall.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:01 AM   #44
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
There is still horrible sexism in Hollywood and society and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out. Yes things have gotten better and I hope they get even better in the future.

The only reason I'm not up in arms about the pose is because I've never seen Scar Jo's Black Widow as anything more than a boring piece of eye candy. I'll still keep voicing my opinons about sexism in cinema and annoy people who ignore it or think it's a good thing and I support the people that do the same, eventhough I'm not completely joining this time for the aforementioned reasons.
You're right. She is nothing buy eye candy. Even though she:
-interrogated Justin Hammer
-...which lead to her finding Vanko's location.
-...which lead to her rebooting War Machine.
-...which lead to Tony winning the battle against Vanko (with Rhodey's help).
-successfully brought Banner to the Helicarrier.
-sneaked up on Loki and tricked him to release information about his plans. Tricking someone like Loki is obscenely difficult.
-got Hawkeye out of Loki's control.
-closed the portal that the alien opened to Earth.

Maybe she could have done more, but it really doesn't matter at the end of the day. Everything women do (or don't do) on film is sexist towards women. That's modern feminism for ya.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 01-31-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:03 AM   #45
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Somebody tell me how the Black Widow was more sexualized than either Mystique or Rogue. One is naked, the other has her ass turned to face the camera while showing half a boob. Neither is presented as anything but eye candy in those shots. At least Scarlett has her weapons drawn and looks like she's ready to seriously **** someone up, not just **** them. I don't recall reading any of these "feminist" objections to the Rogue and Mystique photos, and the reasoning for that ("She's been naked 14 years!") rings so damned hollow.

As a woman I am getting damned tired of this pseudo-feminist faux-rage that is being selectively targeted at some images and not others. Most women have breasts, so if they are photographed their breasts are going to be in picture. The simple fact that you can see breasts (or asses, or legs) does not automatically make the photo "overly-sexualized." Nor does the fact that a woman (or man) is attractive mean that they aren't being valued or taken seriously.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 AM   #46
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Lol I can't believe this is still being discussed. This really needs to end already.
We've probably spent more time on this than on any of the BTS photos they also released today. I nominate this for the most inane topic of discussion in the Captain America section ever.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 AM   #47
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Somebody tell me how the Black Widow was more sexualized than either Mystique or Rogue. One is naked, the other has her ass turned to face the camera while showing half a boob. Neither is presented as anything but eye candy in those shots. At least Scarlett has her weapons drawn and looks like she's ready to seriously **** someone up, not just **** them. I don't recall reading any of these "feminist" objections to the Rogue and Mystique photos, and the reasoning for that ("She's been naked 14 years!") rings so damned hollow.

As a woman I am getting damned tired of this pseudo-feminist faux-rage that is being selectively targeted at some images and not others. Most women have breasts, so if they are photographed their breasts are going to be in picture. The simple fact that you can see breasts (or asses, or legs) does not automatically make the photo "overly-sexualized." Nor does the fact that a woman (or man) is attractive mean that they aren't being valued or taken seriously.

Feels almost like the PC police are in today to make us feel bad for anything that may be seen as having a hint of sex appeal.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #48
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

If anything the "SCARJO POSTER IS PHOTOSHOPPY SEXIST BAD!!" rage has supplanted "OMGERD CHRIS EVANS HELMET LOOKS STUPID F THIS!!"

So, um, win?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #49
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

All the raging about stuff like this is getting tiresome.

- CM Punk
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #50
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
You're right. She is nothing buy eye candy. Even though she:
-interrogated Justin Hammer
-...which lead to her finding Vanko's location.
-...which lead to her rebooting War Machine.
-...which lead to Tony winning the battle against Vanko (with Rhodey's help).
-successfully brought Banner to the Helicarrier.
-sneaked up on Loki and tricked him to release information about his plans. Tricking someone like Loki is obscenely difficult.
-got Hawkeye out of Loki's control.
-closed the portal that the alien opened to Earth.
What he said.

The fact that people keep stupidly dismissing the Black Widow's contributions is in itself proof that sexism is still rampant in fandom, not just in Hollywood. Natasha was the key to the heroes winning in not one but two films, yet people still ridicule her as mere eye candy. It's appalling and galling to see that happen even in a discussion of sexism, when one of the most badass heroines around has to be demeaned in order to try to make a point.

Closed Thread