The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #126
CB Fan
The Watcher

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

I'm exited for all the superhero films we have coming out this year they all look good and vastly different from one another. The Cap trailer is awesome, x-men will be good, and that new spidey flick looks good the aunt may and Peter scenes in the trailer are hilarious. Hopefully GOTG pulls through as well nothing says badass like a raccoon with a gun.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #127
Morti
Side-Kick

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more] - Part 2

Here's something to discuss...never heard of this site but it made Google News, so it's getting some sort of exposure. The author thinks DOFP looks awful and that the marketing has been shoddy.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/0...n-days-of.html

Old 02-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #128
Angamb
Banned User

that link will create a whole new war on here, lol

get ready

"marketing is fine" "we neeed a superbowl ad" "No! we didnt!" "first teaser wasnt right" "hell no, it was perfect!" "your argument is ridiculous" "I dont like that attitude from you"

Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #129
Rike
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghus Houvouras
I doubt I'm alone on this. I can't be. This sickness, this palatable level of nausea I feel with every subsequent piece of marketing associated with the film. This sense of dread that creeps in with every photo that hits Twitter. I say to myself 'they're set photos'. They can't possibly convey or capture what we were all anticipating to be one of the most awesome geek movies to storm into cinemas. But then the photos kept coming, each one more surreal than the last. Then Empire Magazine started showing us the covers to their latest issue covering this big budget summer blockbuster. And that's when it sank in:

X-Men: Days of Future Past looks terrible.

Marketing is a funny thing. The design of pre-release hype is to build my anticipation for the project. And yet, every time a new batch of stills gets released for the Bryan Singer helmed Marvel comic adaptation, it makes me want to see it less. How is that possible? This is a $200 million film tackling one of the most revered stories in the history of comics featuring characters we've been clamoring to see on the big screen since the X-Men first headed to movie theaters thirteen years ago. How it can look this bad?

For a while I thought that it had to be me. I'm a jaded film writer who tends to be a hair overzealous in my criticism. I mean, I'm the guy who called Watchmen one of the most disappointing films of all time, much to the chagrin of comic fans everywhere. Perhaps this was just my well established judgmentalism creeping in. When I saw the first batch of photos on 70's themed cast photos, I thought it looked like the film's costume designer had dressed everyone in the leftover wardrobe of Deep Throat. It was like the film was being produced & directed by Jack Horner. Then the shots of the more familiar X-Men cast started showing up. Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart clad in super futuristic leather ensembles that seemed better suited for a S&M fetish bar than a superhero movie.

After that they released a trailer that showed so little that you figured either they were playing this hand close to the vest or that they had nothing to show. Where are the Sentinels? Where was the action? Why did every shot feature a different mutant with the same hangdog look on their face? What kind of mopey, action-less spectacle was Bryan Singer putting together?

It was until last weekend when I ventured into my local comic book shop that i was even able to articulate these feelings into words and phrases. The store owner and I talked about the slate of comic book films for 2014 and he asked "So what do you think about Days of Future Past."

And without thought or hesitation I blurted out: "I think it looks awful."

A chain reaction started. Soon, everyone in the store began to echo the same sentiment. The terrible behind the scenes photos. The dull as dishwater teaser trailer. The embarrassing photos of a Quicksilver who looks more like a keyboard player for 30 Seconds to Mars than a badass mutant speedster.

Bryan Singer is a director who I still feel lacks a strong cinematic identity. I liked the first two X-Men films, but they are wildly overpraised. The less that's said about Superman Returns, the better. When he was brought back in to do the latest film in the X-Men franchise, it felt less of an inspired choice and more of a return to the well. Now, they're trying to match the size and scope of The Avengers in the hopes of reaping the financial reward of a massive, expanded universe. So I ask:

Has the marketing for this movie done anything to inspire your confidence in those choices?

When you look at these awful set photos and tepid trailers, do you feel like you're seeing the foundation for something epic?

I don't, and that's disappointing.[/url]

Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #130
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

get ready

"marketing is fine" "we neeed a superbowl ad" "No! we didnt!" "first teaser wasnt right" "hell no, it was perfect!" "your argument is ridiculous" "I dont like that attitude from you"

Old 02-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #131
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:

get ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #132
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morti View Post
Here's something to discuss...never heard of this site but it made Google News, so it's getting some sort of exposure. The author thinks DOFP looks awful and that the marketing has been shoddy.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/0...n-days-of.html
That's just going to create problems here.

The author just wants to take potshots at X-Men films.That's fine if you hate them.

We have already seen a lot compared to first class and The Wolverine.

People who thought they would have colorful costumes like the avengers were fooling themselves.

This moaning about no super bowl spot Is getting tiring.Everyone could see that coming.

So complaning they haven't shown you everything about film 3 and a half months before it opens

Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #133
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
lol

Sheldon is such a character, haha. Im still waiting for the new episodes on my country

Old 02-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #134
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I somewhat agree in that they should curate the pictures/images they release better. Was that image of Beast hanging awkwardly right above Logan, who were both looking like they've been caught in the act, the best image to release? Did we really need to see an image of Quicksilver with a dumb look on his face (the supposed Scarlet Witch photo)? Not to mention the first reveal of Quicksilver in the prison scene. Did we need to see that group shot of Iceman, Kitty, Sunspot and Colossus just standing there doing nothing? How about the Magneto one with his arms awkwardly out-stretched?

I really do hope this new trailer shuts the haterz up (and restores my faith in the film).

Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #135
xrs13
Cold as ice

It's taken my until now to realise I really don't care what the negative Nancie's have to say about the film haha. I am the one paying for my ticket so I will enjoy the film and to hell with those that try to make me look negatively on it :P

Cometh the Apocalypse
and the merry Horsemen
War: Sinister, Death: Wolverine,
Pestilence: Mystique, Famine: Storm before Xavier

Old 02-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #136
Snikt
Side-Kick

Every movie released pictures of their cast...and most of the time they're awkward photos of the cast doing nothing.

But I've noticed no one's been complaining about the photo of Cap and Black Widow...just looking at each other...not doing anything. No one complains about that.

I don't get in a tizzy about photos released for upcoming movies because most of the time they're crap to begin with and usually don't do the film justice because we don't know the context of the photos and they're not in motion.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #137
Angamb
Banned User

If Im honest too, I really understand his feelings. Im not agree 100% about the look of the movie, but in my case, Id say this:

Im more or less excited for this movie because I LOVE this cast, and this is X-Men biggest movie yet, including the sentinels big debut.

but Im not excited thanks to what Ive seen in the trailer and pics to date.

so thats why I understand many people when they say they arent as excited or surprised with the look of the movie.

We still havent seen the real scope of this movie, neither how epic the action will be, so thats why some people arent impressed, because Fox hasnt sold that part of the movie yet.

And we have to undertand and accept that not everyone loves all the costumes and all the character choices. Each fan or general movie lover has their prefferences and tastes, so just because some people isnt as excited as us, it doesnt mean they are haters, or they are wrong feeling like that.

I, honestly, understand them.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #138
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I am glad I didn't have a computer when teaser for first X-Men film came out some were probally having meltdowns to black leather outfits and Mystique's appearance.

Ok maybe some straight guys wouldn't have minded her appeance.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #139
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Every movie released pictures of their cast...and most of the time they're awkward photos of the cast doing nothing.

But I've noticed no one's been complaining about the photo of Cap and Black Widow...just looking at each other...not doing anything. No one complains about that.

I don't get in a tizzy about photos released for upcoming movies because most of the time they're crap to begin with and usually don't do the film justice because we don't know the context of the photos and they're not in motion.
I agree even though I like most of what I am saying on winter soldir apart from
virtully nothing on sharon Carter.I just hope the trailers aren't misleading me.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #140
Rike
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Ok maybe some straight guys wouldn't have minded her appeance.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #141
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
If Im honest too, I really understand his feelings. Im not agree 100% about the look of the movie, but in my case, Id say this:

Im more or less excited for this movie because I LOVE this cast, and this is X-Men biggest movie yet, including the sentinels big debut.

but Im not excited thanks to what Ive seen in the trailer and pics to date.

so thats why I understand many people when they say they arent as excited or surprised with the look of the movie.

We still havent seen the real scope of this movie, neither how epic the action will be, so thats why some people arent impressed, because Fox hasnt sold that part of the movie yet.

And we have to undertand and accept that not everyone loves all the costumes and all the character choices. Each fan or general movie lover has their prefferences and tastes, so just because some people isnt as excited as us, it doesnt mean they are haters, or they are wrong feeling like that.

I, honestly, understand them.
I think I agree with most of this.

Something's though like being upset because the costumes aren't more colourful or accurate aren't reasonable complaints as this is a movie franchise that hasn't featured that.

That would be like expecting them not to wear clothes similar to the first two Matrix movies in the third Matrix movie and being upset about it.

Quote:
I am glad I didn't have a computer when teaser for first X-Men film came out.
Same here

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #142
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I think I still have my newspaper review from the first film, I'm pretty sure I liked most of it but thought Storm was a bit meek. I remember we were sent production stills to use in the paper - they were actual photo reprints and were in black and white (as was the paper at that time)

Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #143
Sun_Down
You Best Is Enough

I liked the first trailer. With the exception of a few costuming quips, I've liked the set pics.

But perspective matters. The author of that piece sees the Avengers as the gold standard. He likes spectacle and colorful costumes above all else. He wants more powers, more effects, more, more, more all the time. I don't. My favorite CBMs are TDK and X2 - the darker, moodier films. I've liked what Bryan Singer has done. The scene in X2 where Pyro says, "I'm the worst one" and lets loose is still my favorite single scene in X-film history. Nothing in the Avengers comes close in my book.

People have been hating on Singer since the 90s. Those of us who like him are excited to see what's coming.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #144
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

That Pyro scene was great. Although it wasnt obvious and he didn't have much lines he had his own little jealousy arc in that movie

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #145
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

The film this year that paint worst is The Amazing Spider-man 2.Looks like a video game full of clichés,with obvious jokes.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #146
Morti
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's just going to create problems here.

The author just wants to take potshots at X-Men films.That's fine if you hate them.
My intent isn't to cause problems with that article. If users aren't mature enough to discuss the article's implications, then they should refrain from speaking on the matter

I for one think the blogger is overreacting. Granted there have been some crummy official stills released (the one with Beast comes to mind), I think there is a lot they are holding out on in terms of set pieces/visual FX that we have yet to see.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #147
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
The film this year that paint worst is The Amazing Spider-man 2.Looks like a video game full of clichés,with obvious jokes.
You're not gonna like GOTG then. Lots of CGI and comedy will be in that one.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #148
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
You're not gonna like GOTG then. Lots of CGI and comedy will be in that one.
If i actully read GotG once I might care about it.

I prefer comic book films to have a seriounes and humor comes to lighten a moment or a character at certain point says a one liner.Balance Is needed.
The X-Men films haven't been devored of light moments.They don't go overboard
with it.

If trailers are misleading for winter solider there's no hope for GotG.

Spider-Man by nature should have more humor than X-Men.It should be peter parker is serious out of mask but humor comes out when he's spider-man.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #149
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Dan Abnett and Andy Lannings 2008 run (from which the movie is based) was excellent. They were a creative force to be reckoned with on Cosmic Marvel

Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #150
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Dan Abnett and Andy Lannings 2008 run (from which the movie is based) was excellent. They were a creative force to be reckoned with on Cosmic Marvel
Well My main buying of marvel comics from 1980's to 2006 was X-Men with spider-man second.I bought plenty of reprints and trades to get me up on history.I bought age of apoclaypse In original run.My Favorate X-Men writer Is
Chris Claremount.I even bought spider-man during infamous clone sage In 1990's.With avengers and FF I bought them during heroes reborn stage.I got several from 1980's of avengers.I got some of John Byrne's work on FF.So i have some of various marvel characters from when i bought new comics.The X-Men being my favorate even got me to buy ultimate X-Men for a time.Back In day a good way to get me to buy book was connection to X-Men