The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
speno94
Side-Kick

Default What you didn't like about X-Men:DOFP - Flaws/Critiques

Hi everyone, I know this may seem like a negative sounding thread and I am not the type of person that only sees the negative in everything like some critics.

I was just wondering what minor/major flaws you had with the film (if any) and what elements they could have improved on and what you would liked to have seen, but didn't see etc. You could put them in bullet points:

- What you would of liked to have seen in the film, but didn't get

- Major/minor flaws

- What they could have improved on

Last edited by speno94; 05-22-2014 at 09:20 PM.
speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: What you didn't like about X-Men:DOFP - Flaws/Critiques

My only major qualm is that the first 5-10 mins is a little muddled due to the characters having to explain the process of what's going to happen. After that though it's smooth sailing.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Little things like Bobby and Storm looking the same in the new future. I was hoping at least Storm would have long hair. It makes it less...unique

I would have liked more future scenes .

Last edited by Great Mind(s); 05-23-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
HarryOsborn
Side-Kick

Quicksilver getting left behind by prof and the gang. Clearly he's gonna have a big role in apocalypse with how well audiences responded to him. Also killing Emma Frost. Yeah January Jones was awful and we needed her out of the way but I really singers x3 idea of an elderly Emma that rivals Charles. Honestly though these are just knitpicks, best x-men so far.

HarryOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
YoungE808
Side-Kick

I watched the movie in RPX 3D and the beginning scenes before we get to the future cast are just a tad too dark. I had to quint to try and make out the details.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
kevork89
Rogue + Gambit = WIN!!!

I can't think of any flaws. My only complaint was I wish the future cast had a bit more screen time. Not heaps more just an extra five minutes with some extra dialogue. But everything flowed well so I was still overall happy. And I know this was a way of introducing Stryker and Mystique but did anyone find the Vietnam rescue kind of pointless?

Last edited by kevork89; 05-23-2014 at 12:39 AM.
kevork89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
Khonshu
Side-Kick

I liked the movie, but I didn't love it. These are some of the things that bugged me:

Dodgy wirework for Beast - the fight scenes with him looked really "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon". I'll be the first to criticize bad CGI, so I appreciate them trying to go practical effects in some places, but Beast's movements in the School and at the French Embassy REALLY look like bad wirework. One of the things I loved about First Class was how cool the practical flying effects looked with Banshee - they took a step backward with Beast in this film, I felt. I'm also not a fan of the "Blue Lon Cheney, Jr." look.

Magneto forgets his helmet at the White House.

JLaw's paint job and body suit really don't look as high-quality as the previous Mystique stuff - there were a number of shots that you could tell she was wearing a zip-up suit.

A lot of the footage looked like it was shot in 4:3 and had a real BBC television look to it.

Khonshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #8
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khonshu View Post
Magneto forgets his helmet at the White House.
Magneto didn't forget his helmet. He left at Xavier's mercy.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
SuperJediHero
Mind BLOWN!!!

If I complain about an actor, not because his/her acting, but her bodysuit/paint, I criticize too much.

But, fortunately, I DO NOT. Even if the makeup isn't perfect, I don't mind.

I don't think Mystique's paint is too much of a distraction unless you are especially looking at her body the whole time.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 AM   #10
Gizmo
Newbie First Class

I didn't like the latest Mystique make-up. It seemed like she had a drastically smaller amount of scales, which I feel lessened how exotic she's always looked in these movies, and in turn, the make-up looked cheaper.

I know that in the comics, Kitty Pryde's abilities have always been as they are shown in DOFP, but in terms of the film series, they had never before so much as insinuated she could do more than pass through objects. So I found the sudden and mostly unexplained new ability a bit jarring in the context of the film franchise and what's come (or hasn't, rather) before.

I would have appreciated more development of the dystopian future and how it came to be. I would have liked to SEE more of how it all came to pass from the post-credits scene of The Wolverine, how those who were left and those that were lost got to the point where the movie starts.

Didn't like the "Hulk" angle with Beast, as it served no character purpose. There was no arc to it, with Hank finally becoming "mutant and proud", or what have you. It had of had using the serum to try and throw off the sentinel, but that was ultimately futile, so it didn't serve any consequential story purpose either. Just less Beast being Beast.

That's about it. Overall, I loved it.

Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #11
Khonshu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJediHero View Post
If I complain about an actor, not because his/her acting, but her bodysuit/paint, I criticize too much.

I don't think Mystique's paint is too much of a distraction unless you are especially looking at her body the whole time.
Disagree - I'm not complaining about JLaw's acting. Her makeup and costuming in blue just doesn't look as good and it's noticeable. Why could the film team do it right in previous films but not this one?

And I DO mind - I think that it's the little things and details that separate a good movie from a great one.

To each their own.

Khonshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
SuperJediHero
Mind BLOWN!!!

Not noticeable to me, man.

I was focusing on her acting abilities, not as much her body, so wasn't distracted at all!

I think I LOVE JLaw more about her personality and talents, than sexually attracted to her body, which really doesn't give me too much attention on her bodysuit problems, man.

So, HONESTLY, I did NOT notice!

Even so, that separates a good movie from a great movie, really?

Last edited by SuperJediHero; 05-23-2014 at 01:18 AM.
SuperJediHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #13
SkyIsBlue
Side-Kick

I know it has been said time and again, but I've always wanted to see Rogue do something significant. Because of pacing and scheduling reasons, she was cut. It was somehow sad though that as I watched the movie, I kinda knew where Rogue was supposed to come in. Haha.

I wish Quicksilver returned somehow after the great escape. I expected him to have at least one more scene after that.

I wish the final battle in the future were longer and more intense. I was expecting a final battle that would somehow rival The Avengers, but I guess I didn't get that. I did try to process that this was more of an FC sequel so I felt a bit better. The future Xmen were exterminated too quickly in the final scene before any momentum was built. A little extra 5 minutes of continuous future footage of the battle would've made a big difference for me.

And yeah, the future scenes were a little too "dark", literally. It was difficult to see some details.

I thought Havok was gonna appear for more scenes. I did not expect that his scene in the trailer was his only scene. Haha.

Other than that, I enjoyed the movie. 8/10 from me!

SkyIsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #14
SuperJediHero
Mind BLOWN!!!

Yeah I do agree about the finale action, wish it was longer, more epic, but the movie is already awesome.

*Sigh* action is not Bryan Singer's strongest suits I suppose.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:23 AM   #15
icekid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khonshu View Post
A lot of the footage looked like it was shot in 4:3 and had a real BBC television look to it.
Because it was a mix of actual archive footage of the officals arriving in the Paris Peace Conference in '73 that actually happened and scenes replicated to look like they were show with the cameras that were pointed at Mystique.

icekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:27 AM   #16
SuperJediHero
Mind BLOWN!!!

Yeah the 4:3 TV scenes were deliberate. I liked it. Artistic style IMO.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #17
ChildofAtom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Little things like Bobby and Storm looking the same in the new future. I was hoping at least Storm would have long hair. It makes it less...unique

I would have liked more future scenes .
I thought that was a little off too, how Storm and Bobby both looked way too similar to how they looked in the original/sentinel-ridden future. I would have preferred that they looked substantially different, or at -least- different enough to make me feel like the actors didn't show up one day and walk from one set right onto the next with the same hair and all. Luckily it was mostly Storm and Bobby that stuck out a bit, the rest seemed okay if I recall. Also, this is still a pretty minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, but it is something that I feel could have been improved with even a few small changes and tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJediHero View Post

Overall, I agree for the most part with this sentiment. I definitely was able to look past her body suit and make up issues, which in my opinion actually looked good and didn't turn out as bad as I thought they might on screen(yet to me, were still a little inferior to the original trilogy work), and really enjoy her progression as a character. All that being said, however.. where was her layered voice when she was in her natural form? She had that effect in all three of the original movies, and while I don't recall ever hearing it in First Class, I thought part of the point of her arc in FC was that she wanted to cover up what she felt were her "imperfections" up until the end of the movie, where she then adopted the full-on "mutant and proud" philosophy. I was really hoping that, with all that seemingly transitioning into this film(and then-some, as she becomes more of the scheming assassin/anti-hero type), she would have let her voice be what was implied to be her natural voice in the OT. That bothered me a little more than the regression in the quality of the make-up, because the make-up at least was still attempting to be true to her scaled-chameleon-esque inspiration.

Last edited by ChildofAtom; 05-23-2014 at 01:43 AM.
ChildofAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:41 AM   #18
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Okay, DOFP is a decent movie, I liked it, but it is hardly the "X-Men" in a team concept. Mystique does everything by herself, Magneto does everything by himself, and the good mutants consist of Charles, Beast, and Wolverine with brief assistance from Quicksilver. That's not a a team, that's just three guys. This movie wasn't so much "X-Men" as it was "Popular Mutants."

Compare this to the young mutants of First Class. Banshee, Havok, Darwin, Beast, and Angel are recruited to join Professor X, Magneto, and Mystique. We see them hang out together, train together, and ultimately fight together. A real comradery is built up between them. The future mutants in Days of Future Past had that same quality to them Bryan Singer put on his first two X-films. They're just sort of work friends. However, they did work well together as a team, bouncing abilities off of each other to fight off the Sentinels.

I think First Class is the only X-Men movie that really gets the whole team concept. In Days of Future Past, all of the previous mutants except for the necessary three and Havok were killed. Then we get a collection of mutants in the army, something that could have been really cool to see on the battlefield and work with the three heroes, but they are quickly taken away and not seen or heard from again until the end.

To me, half the appeal of the X-Men is that they are a real team and sorry, but three mutants a team does not make. The upcoming Apocalypse should be the ultimate team up for the X-Men, so hopefully it will be just that.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #19
Great Mind(s)
Broken

That's why I guess it's called an "inbetweenquel".

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #20
Figs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Okay, DOFP is a decent movie, I liked it, but it is hardly the "X-Men" in a team concept. Mystique does everything by herself, Magneto does everything by himself, and the good mutants consist of Charles, Beast, and Wolverine with brief assistance from Quicksilver. That's not a a team, that's just three guys. This movie wasn't so much "X-Men" as it was "Popular Mutants."

Compare this to the young mutants of First Class. Banshee, Havok, Darwin, Beast, and Angel are recruited to join Professor X, Magneto, and Mystique. We see them hang out together, train together, and ultimately fight together. A real comradery is built up between them. The future mutants in Days of Future Past had that same quality to them Bryan Singer put on his first two X-films. They're just sort of work friends. However, they did work well together as a team, bouncing abilities off of each other to fight off the Sentinels.

I think First Class is the only X-Men movie that really gets the whole team concept. In Days of Future Past, all of the previous mutants except for the necessary three and Havok were killed. Then we get a collection of mutants in the army, something that could have been really cool to see on the battlefield and work with the three heroes, but they are quickly taken away and not seen or heard from again until the end.

To me, half the appeal of the X-Men is that they are a real team and sorry, but three mutants a team does not make. The upcoming Apocalypse should be the ultimate team up for the X-Men, so hopefully it will be just that.
Well, if Apocalypse is as strong as he is in the comics, it's definitely going to take multiple mutants to bring him down.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #21
cequoia

(first time posting - been lurking since the first version of the site)

i feel that the vietnam scene could of been omitted. they could of given more time to the future intro and final battle from that. it would of given more time to showcase and give a bit more depth to bishop, warpath & colossus.
plus ink is not a mutant, no need for him at all. that scene it had an x-men origins feel to it at moments.

art direction was intricate, detailed and just an opiate for the eyes overall.

cequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:53 AM   #22
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

The movie is a bit uneven, and the jumping between timelines is awkward in places. After one of the most epic and inventive starting sequences I've seen in a movie, the narrative is kind of strange. Once things pickup in the film it works OK, but I feel the time jumping interruptions made the film hard to watch in places.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #23
Johnny-Oh
Side-Kick

My complaints:

-The absence of Magneto's theme, it would have been amazing when he lifts the stadium
-The movie was not long enough lol
-Not enough time in the future
-Wolverine having adamantium claws in the future with no explanation
-Not enough dialogue scenes for Fassbender

Those are pretty much nitpicks, the movie was amazing 10/10

Johnny-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #24
BlackFox
Name on the trophy?

Would have liked to have seen Wolverine fight some Sentinels in the future part of the film but obviously the story couldnt allow it, that was something I wanted to see before going in.

And more time spent in the future to get to know the future mutants a little more, the film was good enough to warrant another 20 minutes I feel as its better than the last two Hobbit films.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:02 AM   #25
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny-Oh View Post
My complaints:

-The absence of Magneto's theme, it would have been amazing when he lifts the stadium
-The movie was not long enough lol
-Not enough time in the future
-Wolverine having adamantium claws in the future with no explanation
-Not enough dialogue scenes for Fassbender

Those are pretty much nitpicks, the movie was amazing 10/10
I just assumed that with adamantium everywhere else in his body as well as being Magneto's buddy, that's how he got his adamantium claws back.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote