The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #76
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenarrow0 View Post
Sick! I like this.

:o
Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #77
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not a fan.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #78
batmannotes
Side-Kick

Thumbs up Re: The Batsuit Thread - - - - - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel View Post
Guess I'll just keep stuffing this threads with pictures of Ben Affleck stuffed into Batman's cowl...

I do like how that cowl/cape connection is done.

This looks pretty cool! Nice job.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #79
whoa123
Side-Kick

Hey guys just want to share what I recently did guys. I used the Arkham Origins suit as base and added some fabric textures so as to make it look a bit like kevlar/cloth and I also made the cape and cowl have a hint of blue. Hope you guys like it!

Oh and @BattleAngel, one question (sorry) but why are your manips being shown as small pictures in my computer? Anyway I love your manips bud.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #80
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Hey everyone! I, along with many others on this forum, have been real proponents of using a thinner, more flexible cowl in the new film for two main reasons:

1) to allow for easy neck movement, so as to get rid of the issues of every Batsuit in film to-date - the dreaded "Bat turn" or "bobble head syndrome"
2) and also for the possible utilization of an emoting brow, thus allowing Batman to show a more range of emotion.

Some of us have suggested a silcone one piece cowl or prosthetic pieces in certain areas. I know we've all most likely seen the realistic silicone masks that have been around the last several years, but this type of design would work the best for both points listed above IMO. In the video I've linked to below, you'll see how the neck specifically allows a full range of motion with no creases or buckling. Perfect for Batman's needs!

Also, the eye holes can stay pretty darn small - could even allow for some built in lenses of some sort - and the brows seem to allow for some extra movement as well; this could be tweaked a bit more to maybe extend that range of motion. Of course, this is just a general example and would be specifically molded to an even more form-fitting cowl design. To go further, I think that a hardened skullcap form could be placed under the silicone skin to allow for attaching and supporting the ears and to add a more rigid look if needed.

In closing, I would love to see this type of material used for the new cowl. If I had the expertise/time/money, I would definitely either make one myself or have one made professionally to see if in fact would work. Who knows, maybe it would look cheesy in live-action, but I'd want to see it tested for sure.

Here's the link. Sorry I wasn't able to embed the clip - I don't think I have enough posts yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmxk8ykUdM

Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #81
DeadPresident
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is epic, looks like MegaMan and Batman did the fusion dance. For a movie adaptation I'd take all the blue and make it black though.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #82
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I've suggested MocCap, like they used for Davy Jones in POTC (and not like GL ). Would also better allow for the use of the 'white eyes' in a more stylized approach overall, and closer to the original comic/animation usage.

Maybe not in these films, but in future efforts.
I definitely agree with the MoCap idea - I've thought CGI would be a great option too! A practical cowl though my be just that, more practical IMO. I do think the eyes/lenses could be MoCap for sure. The lenses could be clear on set with tracking dots and then the white/glow could be added in post. This could also allow for Ben's eyes to be see in certain scenes if they wanted to.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #83
Astro13Zombie
PrimeDirectiveEXTERMINATE

The way the cowls have been done in the past is the one thing I've never had a problem with.
The permanently angry brow just works better for batman IMO
Batman being super expressive with his brow just isn't something that I really need to see.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #84
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Or just have an open face/head with tracking. Probably the best for absolute control and eventual design....you can add or remove whatever you want later I don't quite know how it would affect one's performance wile filming, but it may take a bit more effort/imagination.
Yeah that is true. I think a lot of actors can get into character easier with physical props/costume (in this case the cowl), but I thought about the open face MoCap before as well. It's getting pretty common these days and technologically easier to do so for sure. I just think it may run the risk of looking CG and thus take people out - I could be wrong though. I mean lighting and environmental aspects (rain, snow, etc.) would be easier and more cost effective to capture with a physical cowl, but again, anything is possible these days with some time and money

Old 02-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #85
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro13Zombie View Post
The way the cowls have been done in the past is the one thing I've never had a problem with.
The permanently angry brow just works better for batman IMO
Batman being super expressive with his brow just isn't something that I really need to see.
Oh not super expressive at all, just being able to control the scowl I think. Just some movement is all I'm asking for really. The primary thing is the movement in the neck. The mask in the clip I posted was perfect regarding that aspect IMO. I agree that the ever scowl brow is a pretty important look for batman to retain.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #86
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa123 View Post
Hey guys just want to share what I recently did guys. I used the Arkham Origins suit as base and added some fabric textures so as to make it look a bit like kevlar/cloth and I also made the cape and cowl have a hint of blue. Hope you guys like it!

Oh and @BattleAngel, one question (sorry) but why are your manips being shown as small pictures in my computer? Anyway I love your manips bud.
I like your design, bud! Can you post a bigger/clearer one of just batman? Would love to see it.

I don't know what's going on with the size of the manips - if you open them in other windows, they get bigger. Must be something built into the forum code. A lot of mine are pretty hi-res.

Also, totally agreed with KalMart and BatFan1979 re: the thinner, emoting cowl, head turning/bobble head issues. I think if you look at my most recent manips, with that sweet sleek cowl, the approach suggested by these fine fellows is the way to go. Either silicone mask with tracking, or an open head with tracking that implies a silicone mask. Definitely reinforced with a very hard skull cap. The whole thing could actually be protected, and the silicon brow could actually be moved via motors that move based on sensors inside the mask on the brow area - with a protective layer in between. It'd be a conscious decision on Batman's part to be able to have a little emotion, for when he's dealing with people who need to be comforted, etc. Again, I'm thinking of kids who have just been rescued (or other kids who have seen their parents gunned down), or talking people off of a ledge, or talking down people who are about to hurt other people.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #87
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

^ I think it would be great if in a scene Batman could raise just one eyebrow in sarcastic response to something Superman says! That would great!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #88
Spamtron
THE MAN

Quote:
Awesome! And that is a bangin utility belt worthy of Batman carrying everything he needs to get the job done!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #89
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1979 View Post
That is seriously cool (and weird). That plus a little mocap would do the trick, no problem. I feel like there's gotta be a way it could be made armored enough to be sensible for Batman, too.

Frankly, I'm surprised there aren't already silicone batman masks available!

Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #90
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

^ here's a silicone Batman cowl... not the greatest sculpt IMO.

http://www.compositeeffects.com/page...erhero&Search=

Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #91
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1979 View Post
^ here's a silicone Batman cowl... not the greatest sculpt IMO.

http://www.compositeeffects.com/page...erhero&Search=
Yeah, a little narsty! But still a cool idea.

Kal - I think there'd be a work around for things like the ears - I'm pretty sure this silicone idea would only be one part of the overall tech that goes into the cowl.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #92
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

The glow is eerie. I like it

Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #93
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Obviously I'd get rid of the blue for live action and maybe change the boots a little. Superman and Wonder Woman will be wearing blue I just think it's overboard for Bats to wear it as well. And I've never wanted blue in a live action Batman costume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPresident View Post
This is epic, looks like MegaMan and Batman did the fusion dance. For a movie adaptation I'd take all the blue and make it black though.
I don't understand that thinking- the fact that the blue, the black and the grey all work in harmony together is the unique and rather cool thing about that design.

Take the blue away, and you have something much like the "new" 52 suit.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #94
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

New BvS production designer quotes:

“I’m working in Detroit on Batman vs. Superman [2016] and its super cold there,” states Patrick Tatopoulos (Dark City) who, along with surviving a polar vortex which has swept North America, is handing the production design for the project which brings together the two iconic DC superheroes. “At the end of 300: Rise of an Empire [2014] I met with Zack [Snyder] and he said, ‘I going to do this movie and want you to design it.’ I was stunned. I thought, ‘Wow! Great.’ That’s where it started. This is a crazy huge movie. It’s taking a lot of energy but it’s something that someone like me needs to do in his lifetime.”

“There’s a project that is close to me that I was going to direct and I said, ‘I need to do this,’” reveals Tatopoulos, who also helmed Underworld: Rise of the Lycons (2009). “Working with Zack again was important to me because he’s an amazing director with an incredible vision. Batman and Superman is something I’ve always wanted to do. I would have chosen one or both. I got the offer and jumped on it.” The highly anticipated big screen teaming of the Man of Steel (Henry Cavill) and the Dark Knight (Ben Affleck) has been delayed from its original 2015 release date. “The big chunk that we want to do for the movie is there but there is so much more to do. For me, it’s been a blessing that it has been pushed a little bit.”

Last edited by John-An; 02-11-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #95
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ Isn't Tatopoulos the production designer? I thought someone else was doing the costumes?

Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #96
TheBat812
Side-Kick

PD and costume work very closely together to make the worlds feel very uniform and believable.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #97
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
PD and costume work very closely together to make the worlds feel very uniform and believable.
I see. cool.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #98
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Just making sure I keep up with my one-a-day mantra

Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #99
roach
I am the night

Michael Wilkinson is listed as the costume designer but they report to the production designer

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #100
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-An View Post
New BvS suits designer quotes:

“I’m working in Detroit on Batman vs. Superman [2016] and its super cold there,” states Patrick Tatopoulos (Dark City) who, along with surviving a polar vortex which has swept North America, is handing the production design for the project which brings together the two iconic DC superheroes. “At the end of 300: Rise of an Empire [2014] I met with Zack [Snyder] and he said, ‘I going to do this movie and want you to design it.’ I was stunned. I thought, ‘Wow! Great.’ That’s where it started. This is a crazy huge movie. It’s taking a lot of energy but it’s something that someone like me needs to do in his lifetime.”

“There’s a project that is close to me that I was going to direct and I said, ‘I need to do this,’” reveals Tatopoulos, who also helmed Underworld: Rise of the Lycons (2009). “Working with Zack again was important to me because he’s an amazing director with an incredible vision. Batman and Superman is something I’ve always wanted to do. I would have chosen one or both. I got the offer and jumped on it.” The highly anticipated big screen teaming of the Man of Steel (Henry Cavill) and the Dark Knight (Ben Affleck) has been delayed from its original 2015 release date. “The big chunk that we want to do for the movie is there but there is so much more to do. For me, it’s been a blessing that it has been pushed a little bit.”
I like most of his work and agreed with most of his opinions on Face/Off, so color me happy.

Closed Thread