The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #76
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: Geoff Johns, David Goyer and Zack Snyder mapping out entire DCCU!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Dini wrote a very good episode of the justice league cartoon where martian manhunter spends christmas at the kent home. It was one of the rare good episodes in an otherwise awful series, so for that I give Dini credit.
Plus the Batman/Superman World's Finest animated movie. And all the other Emmy winning material he wrote for what is probably the most well-defined version of the DCU (onscreen of all places too, which is what we're looking for.

Also if we're building to Justice League, just compare Geoff John's New 52 JL to Morrison/Waid's JL in the 90's. It's not even close.

I'm not actually really advocating these guys. I know it's not going to happen, and I'm fine with who we got. But just spit-balling an ideal scenario. Goyer and Johns, ugh yeah. But could be worse! Least it's happening.

Smallville13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #77
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
They won't do that because they don't have the resources for it. One movie every 2-3 years maximum. Maybe consecutive years if they film back to back every so often.
I'm not claiming to have opened their books, but:

1) Man of Steel could have come in December 2012 if not for Snyder taking extra time;
2) Dark Knight Rises could have come out in 2010 if Nolan had not been interested in doing Inception;
3) There are claims MoS 2 could have come out in 2015 if not for delays;

So already just from the past we see that there was money available to do things faster.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #78
jmc
callin' it like I see it

The question is what's more likely. WB studio structure doesn't lend itself to do devote the resources to an expanded DC universe and releasing multiple films per year. It's one thing if it's a singular series like Harry Potter with a film coming out every 18-24 month and a devoted fan base ready to eat up what gets dished out, it's entirely different if you're talking about multiple character films with interlocking stories, each requiring it's own team to work on.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #79
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
The question is what's more likely. WB studio structure doesn't lend itself to do devote the resources to an expanded DC universe and releasing multiple films per year. It's one thing if it's a singular series like Harry Potter with a film coming out every 18-24 month and a devoted fan base ready to eat up what gets dished out, it's entirely different if you're talking about multiple character films with interlocking stories, each requiring it's own team to work on.
I don't think that this is as complicated as building a fighter aircraft. It's just setting up a subsidiary.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #80
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Wow whoever that guy is I couldn't disagree with him more. Comparing artistic painting to house painting which is a trade is the dumbest comparison I've ever heard and invalidates his argument because comics and film are both artistic mediums. And we're talking about 'mapping out the DCU', not direction. When it comes to who understands these characters the most it's Dini, Waid, and Morrison.
Exactly. It's the reason the most well received recent animated Superman and Batman movies weren't written by their own authors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1569923/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2224455/

Oh wait

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #81
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
2016: Man of Steel 2: Post-Collun Alliteration Concerning Darkness
Brilliant

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #82
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

I think Timm and Dini are better off in animation. Their big live action break should have come a long time ago if they were that suited for it.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #83
LEVITIKUZ
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzel View Post
No were not.

This video explains why
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Hmmmmm.....

Also Dini has written comics, games, cartoons, tv shows, and the Magnificent movie coming.

LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #84
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
I don't think that this is as complicated as building a fighter aircraft. It's just setting up a subsidiary.
End of the day these movies still cost a lot of money to make and market, and no matter what it comes down to WB deciding to make less other movies and more comic book movies.

The football analogy would be like changing their strategy from more of a running game to more of a passing game. But considering they're the no. 1 studio in Hollywood, the merits of taking additional big risks could definitely be questioned.

That said, they're still making some moves to increase the value of their DC properties, which is an important first step. If Marvel can get an Iron Man film to break a billion dollars and they WB twice over get a SUPERMAN film (one of the most iconic figures in the world) to crack 700 million, then something big needs to be done to get the general public more energized about the DC characters outside of Batman. This movie is the first major step in that direction.

If Green Lantern hadn't bombed so hard, the landscape of DC films might be different now, but in its aftermath they're being more cautious and rightfully so.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #85
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Jeph Loeb wrote Teen Wolf and Commando back in the 80's.

HERESY!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:57 AM   #86
Afrobean
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I don't think Warner Brothers, the most successful movie studio year in and year out, had any concern about 'keeping up' with Marvel, nor will they. If their DC movies..even one at a time...help contribute to the bottom line every year
Yeah, Green Lantern contributed a lot. So did Jonah Hex and V for Vendetta. And Watchmen was a huge hit too! Oh wait, that's not right.

Well at least the Flash movie was really successful. And I was surprised when they beat Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy to theaters with their own cosmic-epic Fourth World movie. Oh wait, no that didn't happen either.

At least we got a successful Superman movie and a successful Batman trilogy. Yep. That's all we got that was unequivocally successful. Four successful blockbusters, one of which has split audiences and critics so much as to be "rotten" at rottentomatoes.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I'm for the method which yields better movies.
This is a fallacy. DC could have a solid plan in place and make movies at least as good as we got while also delivering more films which were also at least as good as what we got.

If DC had pushed out a movie for Aquaman in 2013, that wouldn't have stopped them from also pushing out The Dark Knight Rises in 2012. If they did a Flash movie for 2015, that wouldn't stop them from also doing Superman/Batman in 2016.

Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #87
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Replace all 3 with Paul Dini, Mark Waid, and Grant Morrison, and then we're cooking.

Hear, hear.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #88
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I think Timm and Dini are better off in animation. Their big live action break should have come a long time ago if they were that suited for it.
I think you're assuming that American capitalism is not only a perfect system at selecting talent but an extremely efficient one as well that operates without lag.

By the way, Dini is writing the Maleficient movie.

Joss Whedon didn't go mass-market until the Avengers came out when he was 47 years old. Prior to that he was a hero to those with esoteric geek interests who regularly got turned down by the big studios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
End of the day these movies still cost a lot of money to make and market, and no matter what it comes down to WB deciding to make less other movies and more comic book movies.

The football analogy would be like changing their strategy from more of a running game to more of a passing game. But considering they're the no. 1 studio in Hollywood, the merits of taking additional big risks could definitely be questioned.

That said, they're still making some moves to increase the value of their DC properties, which is an important first step. If Marvel can get an Iron Man film to break a billion dollars and they WB twice over get a SUPERMAN film (one of the most iconic figures in the world) to crack 700 million, then something big needs to be done to get the general public more energized about the DC characters outside of Batman. This movie is the first major step in that direction.

If Green Lantern hadn't bombed so hard, the landscape of DC films might be different now, but in its aftermath they're being more cautious and rightfully so.
I don't see WB surrendering market share to Disney, and by Disney I mean Disney and not Marvel. If WB stop making comic book movies it will yield to Disney a permanent monopoly on a critical market with a potential profitability that could exceed 1 billion dollars a year, which would soon give Disney leverage in other years. This is also a long-term income stream as kids get hooked for life. WB would sooner saturate the market with a hundred bad comic book movies just to destroy the industry than allow Disney to maintain that golden income stream unchallenged.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 02-13-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #89
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Jeph Loeb wrote Teen Wolf and Commando back in the 80's.
Let off some steam, Bennett.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #90
tacit-ronin-
Do cats eat bats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Yeah, Green Lantern contributed a lot. So did Jonah Hex and V for Vendetta. And Watchmen was a huge hit too! Oh wait, that's not right.

Well at least the Flash movie was really successful. And I was surprised when they beat Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy to theaters with their own cosmic-epic Fourth World movie. Oh wait, no that didn't happen either.

At least we got a successful Superman movie and a successful Batman trilogy. Yep. That's all we got that was unequivocally successful. Four successful blockbusters, one of which has split audiences and critics so much as to be "rotten" at rottentomatoes.com. .
Warner brothers makes more than just comic book movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Maru View Post
"Damn you Kringle, I'll crack you open like a can of Pringles!" DarkSentinel shouts.
tacit-ronin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #91
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Replace all 3 with Paul Dini, Mark Waid, and Grant Morrison, and then we're cooking.
This would be the creative trinity! Just thinking about it makes me salivate, haha. It's sad that Dini's gone over to Marvel, tho.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #92
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

David Goyer- writes decent enough story premises.

Geoff Johns- Demonstrated on multiple occassions he can write great Justice League storylines and map out a universe.

Zack Snyder- Great visual and action director

I fail to see the issue.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #93
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Yeesh. To say WB could do better than those 3 is an understatement. There really is no Feige equivalent available but as far as the creative end dini and Morrison should be in the conversation. Snyder is a director for hire and Johns is way too hit or miss. Keep Goyer as far away as possible. Dini, Morrison and a succesful director/producer that knows the material.

Unfortunately WB is likely to stick with the status quo, unless BvS under-performs.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #94
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Hey just bring Chris Terrio in to write and let Snyder direct everything and I'll be impressed. I love Snyder's visual style and Terrio wrote and amazing movie in Argo. So if they can talk Terrio into coming back that would be awesome

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #95
Reiter
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
This would be the creative trinity! Just thinking about it makes me salivate, haha. It's sad that Dini's gone over to Marvel, tho.
I think Waid is at Marvel too. Something about fighting with the big heads at DC and they wont let him back. It's ok, i'm sure Lobdell, Liefeld (i know he left but they rebooted their universe with him on their roster) and all the other hacks on DC can make up for it.

Reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #96
Reiter
Banned User

I realise there is a difference between comics and movies, but if you're making a Superman movie, you simply cant let it to Goyer and Snyder and their copies of All-Star Superman. You bring Morrison and Waid and everyone else you can to help them. Same for Batman. Morrison, Dini, Brubacker, etc. I'm not saying Dini should direct it, but the guy has been writing him since forever. He should be an advisor. Otherwise you end up with Nic Cage wearing a blue electric suit.

This idea that Goyer, Snyder and Johns (who is basically handling everything, everywhere) can handle everything well is flawed. Johns by his own admission doesnt get Batman and Wonder Woman.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #97
Reiter
Banned User

Oh yes, i also forgot to mention that Johns also doesnt like or get the New Gods. My god...

Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #98
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

The first Justice League story of the new 52 if I recall was written by both Geoff Johns and Jim Lee. Once Johns started writing them on his own, the arcs were much better.

I'm totally fine with him acting as a consultant. I liked his run on GL and thought he revitalized Aquaman and made him exciting to read.

I'd definitely be for adding Morrison to this equation.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #99
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

If you are a poster that has ever made the arguement that comic book fans are not important to box office, then I don't want to hear about Dini, Waid or Morrison helming the films.

If you've ever used the line "but the films are different from the comics" then I don't want to hear how Dini, Waid or Morrison should helm the films.

If you've ever used the reasoning that the sales of comic books are low and that this shows that the films are the definitive versions of comic book superheroes, then I don't want to hear about Dini, Waid or Morrison helming the films.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #100
Reiter
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
I'm totally fine with him acting as a consultant. I liked his run on GL and thought he revitalized Aquaman and made him exciting to read.
When he gets a character, he does great work. But it is silly of him or DC to think that this man can get any character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
If you are a poster that has ever made the arguement that comic book fans are not important to box office, then I don't want to hear about Dini, Waid or Morrison helming the films.

If you've ever used the line "but the films are different from the comics" then I don't want to hear how Dini, Waid or Morrison should helm the films.

If you've ever used the reasoning that the sales of comic books are low and that this shows that the films are the definitive versions of comic book superheroes, then I don't want to hear about Dini, Waid or Morrison helming the films.
Who are you talking to?