Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #651
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Default Re: The Official Scarlet Witch Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Seeing as how they continually change and alter the meaning of her powers in the comics I would say it's hard to explain.
And how many characters HAVEN'T had their powers changed or altered in some ways over the years?

I've explained it in these threads several times in just a couple sentences. And it wouldn't be hard to show on screen either. Want an even easier way to explain it? Just say she's able to make things happen that shouldn't happen easily. An arrow is shot at her? She hits it with whatever they do for a hex bolt or whatever they decide to call her power, and it drops to the ground. Done. In the pictures where she's looking up and aiming at something, lets say a bunch of rocks or debris are falling toward her? She blasts her power at them and they turn to dust and float away. Done. People are over thinking her powers and that's the only problem here.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 PM   #652
Loki882
Side-Kick

That sounds like it'd look really lame and underwhelming onscreen. She made something fall down with her powers, how riveting. She's more interesting with magical powers.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #653
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I hope Cap doesn't.... it wouldn't feel right.
Why? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm genuinely curious as to why you think that?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 PM   #654
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Why? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm genuinely curious as to why you think that?
he's just not that forward of a guy. remember the fondue conversation?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #655
universeman
Side-Kick

I agree also it would take away the sweet CA/Peggy scenes which is so sweet/funny

Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 AM   #656
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
And how many characters HAVEN'T had their powers changed or altered in some ways over the years?
Generalization and a lazy one at that. Most Marvel characters have not had their powers completely retconned into something different than they were. Iron Man still uses a suit of armor, Cap is still an enhanced strong guy, Thor is still Thor, Hulk is still a big green guy, Hank Pym still uses Pym Particles to change his size, Quicksilver is still super fast, Cyclops still shoots lasers out of his eyes, Wolverine still has metal claws and a healing factor, Professor X sill has psychic powers, Magneto still bends stuff, Jean Grey remain a telepath, so on and so forth. Wanda is one of if not the only one to completely have their powers retconned, reimagine, or changed every couple years. First it was vague hex powers, then it turned out she was cursed by Chthon as a child and had real witch powers, then it turned into probability and reality warping, and it just keeps getting stupider with no parameters to it.

So yes, her powers are pretty difficult to explain, considering there is no ground rules to her powers at all in the comics. You can't have that kind of uber powerful character in the movie especially when just what exactly she does is vague and amounts to "**** happens".

Quote:
I've explained it in these threads several times in just a couple sentences. And it wouldn't be hard to show on screen either. Want an even easier way to explain it? Just say she's able to make things happen that shouldn't happen easily. An arrow is shot at her? She hits it with whatever they do for a hex bolt or whatever they decide to call her power, and it drops to the ground. Done. In the pictures where she's looking up and aiming at something, lets say a bunch of rocks or debris are falling toward her? She blasts her power at them and they turn to dust and float away. Done. People are over thinking her powers and that's the only problem here.
Sounds lame. I like what they're doing in the movie better where she can levitate things and read minds. There's no Jean Grey in this universe so it doesn't matter. More interesting than zapping things with hex bolts like her original powers in the comics...which they changed for a reason.

Quote:
That sounds like it'd look really lame and underwhelming onscreen. She made something fall down with her powers, how riveting. She's more interesting with magical powers.
This.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #657
AvengerPA
Side-Kick

Wanda should have magic powers. If not, it is a waste of time calling her Scarlet Witch.

I believe Wanda has two power sets. The first his her mutant hex power, a probabilty warp. The second is the supernatural nature given to her by Chthon which allows her to cast magic spells.

Probablity manipulation and chaos magic. Those are her powers.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #658
Wade Garrett
Tails again!

I think we forget that Joss is no stranger to witchcraft

Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #659
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerPA View Post
Wanda should have magic powers. If not, it is a waste of time calling her Scarlet Witch.

I believe Wanda has two power sets. The first his her mutant hex power, a probabilty warp. The second is the supernatural nature given to her by Chthon which allows her to cast magic spells.
Isnt Chthon aka The Other? Who gave the scepter to Loki which
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
ended up in Baron Struckers hands which he used to experiment on the Twins?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #660
sabetoonth
Where You Get Those Eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Isnt Chthon aka The Other? Who gave the scepter to Loki which
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
ended up in Baron Struckers hands which he used to experiment on the Twins?
There's been no confirmation on that I don't think

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #661
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Generalization and a lazy one at that. Most Marvel characters have not had their powers completely retconned into something different than they were. Iron Man still uses a suit of armor, Cap is still an enhanced strong guy, Thor is still Thor, Hulk is still a big green guy, Hank Pym still uses Pym Particles to change his size, Quicksilver is still super fast, Cyclops still shoots lasers out of his eyes, Wolverine still has metal claws and a healing factor, Professor X sill has psychic powers, Magneto still bends stuff, Jean Grey remain a telepath, so on and so forth. Wanda is one of if not the only one to completely have their powers retconned, reimagine, or changed every couple years. First it was vague hex powers, then it turned out she was cursed by Chthon as a child and had real witch powers, then it turned into probability and reality warping, and it just keeps getting stupider with no parameters to it.

So yes, her powers are pretty difficult to explain, considering there is no ground rules to her powers at all in the comics. You can't have that kind of uber powerful character in the movie especially when just what exactly she does is vague and amounts to "**** happens".

Sounds lame. I like what they're doing in the movie better where she can levitate things and read minds. There's no Jean Grey in this universe so it doesn't matter. More interesting than zapping things with hex bolts like her original powers in the comics...which they changed for a reason.

This.
wait.....she can read minds, too??!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #662
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:

Probablity manipulation and chaos magic. Those are her powers.
why not just make it one and the same.

she has "psychic" powers that let her alter reality on the quantum physics level. which can manifest in a variety of ways, including telekinesis/levitation and reading minds (?). she can make things explode or crush them, etc.

so it's not "supernatural" magic, but more "science based" magic ( like Thor ).

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #663
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
wait.....she can read minds, too??!!
Well, according to what I found in the Wiki article for the movie...

Quote:
The twin sister of Quicksilver, who has telekinetic abilities and can weave spells. Olsen described the character as a "nexus", elaborating, "She's crazy. She has more things wrong with her than any character I've ever played. She can tell you where an object has been, she can tell you what your future is, she can connect with the dead and people from the past, the future, other universes, and she's the only person in this universe who's capable of doing that. She's unbelieveable."

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #664
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
Well, according to what I found in the Wiki article for the movie...

If all that's indeed true.....she's almost like the Marvel cinematic universe version of Raven!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #665
Ant-manic
Banned User

Nexus being. so she's cosmic, magic, and gifted. i wonder if they'll ever introduce Man-Thing in the MCU.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #666
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
i wouldn't call it a waste. she was the Scarlet Witch a long time before practicing magic.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #667
metaphysician
Side-Kick

And a long time after, too. IIRC, she stopped using magic more or less after the Busiek run, and has been mutant reality warping ever since.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #668
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
And a long time after, too. IIRC, she stopped using magic more or less after the Busiek run, and has been mutant reality warping ever since.
she did some kind of spell during Geoff Johns' Red Zone arc. even had Carol Danvers energy blast a big ol' pentagram, for it.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #669
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Yes, because I said that's ALL she'd do. Give me a break. Her powers lend themselves to a LOT of different uses beyond the simple things like I just listed, and have been done as such throughout the years in the comics. Someone like Whedon can come up with a variety of ways for her to use her powers, not just the simple things. Use your imagination already.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #670
Loki882
Side-Kick

Or we can just have her do magic. You know, like a witch. It's much more interesting and cooler, quite frankly. And that's the example that YOU used, and if that's the best that you can come up with, then your argument is less than stellar.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #671
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post
I could totally see Scarlet Witch going Dark Willow in a future movie.

HERESY!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #672
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

A mixture of Dark Willow and River Tam.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #673
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post
I still think that scene was better than anything in The Dark Willow Saga of season 6.

:o
Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 AM   #674
batboy99
BTVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
I still think that scene was better than anything in The Dark Willow Saga of season 6.

But seriously, that scene was pretty ****ing amazing.

DeviantArt Page
"Like" my Facebook page!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 AM   #675
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post

Wanda was a reality-warping mutant from her inception in the original Lee/Kirby X-Men and Avengers books. The "chaos" magic/Chthon nonsense was layered over her original powers in the 1980s, in an unnecessary addition her already incredible abilities. The Scarlet Witch who could randomly snare passing asteroids with her powers and bring them raining down on her enemies was far more interesting and powerful than the one who wielded nonsensical, inconsistently-defined "chaos magic". And Wanda certainly does not need to have telekinesis and telepathy added in, too, when those have never been her powers.

Closed Thread