The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #851
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Scarlet Witch Thread - Part 1

Enough with the T&A. We get it. Let's focus on the MCU SW shall we?

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #852
marcvader
Lurker #1

I agree. I wonder if she will be speak in an English accent or if her brother will have an American one.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #853
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

As long as we can understand them, accents are cool.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #854
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
How many superheroes/heroines *haven't* killed each other at some point or other?
Only comic book fans could argue that killing one's significant other is no big deal. Name all of the heroes (male and female) who have actually killed their lovers/spouses/SOs. The ones who really killed them, not just attacked them under the control of some plot device or another. Let me know the body count because as I see it, Sharon is pretty much unique in having been the one girlfriend of a major hero who offed said hero. And even if she has company in the Lovers from Hell category, what she did is still damned awful.

This is the Scarlet Witch's thread, though, so discussion of Cap's horrible love life should be tabled unless it relates to Wanda. (It doesn't.) Wanda's relationship with the Vision may be teased in AOU but I doubt that Whedon will go full-out with a romance. They will probably develop a mutual admiration and maybe one will help/protect the other somewhere along the way. The Vision's personality and "human" characteristics will have to be developed beyond what we know of JARVIS in order for a relationship with Wanda to make sense to the GA, IMO.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #855
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Well no offence to you Americans but I have never heard a convincing English accent by an American, although I do realise only British people know these are not convincing unless it is truly bad. Conversely most English people can do a decent American accent, especially actors, how many British actors have been mistaken for an American after a role. I saw some people on various forums think ATJ was American because of Kick-Ass.

I hope they are Eastern European though.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #856
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostcrow13 View Post
Well no offence to you Americans but I have never heard a convincing English accent by an American, although I do realise only British people know these are not convincing unless it is truly bad. Conversely most English people can do a decent American accent, especially actors, how many British actors have been mistaken for an American after a role. I saw some people on various forums think ATJ was American because of Kick-Ass.

Yeah, F you man!

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #857
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Yeah, F you man!
It's a weakness you guys have got, you just can't pick out an accent. I guess it's cos we have way more American TV and Films over here than the US has British and Australian stuff.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #858
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:

You know...I've been surprised quite often to watch an actor and then later find out they were British. I had NO clue. They always convince me they are American when they are not.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #859
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

We don't really hear a diverse amount of accents over here. It's either real fancy or real cockney. Is what it is. I heard a lot of *****ing about RDJ's Sherlock accent and was like, "he's not saying that r the correct way, or the inflection is like 35% off" and I'm like, the ****?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #860
Destined
BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Only comic book fans could argue that killing one's significant other is no big deal. Name all of the heroes (male and female) who have actually killed their lovers/spouses/SOs. The ones who really killed them, not just attacked them under the control of some plot device or another. Let me know the body count because as I see it, Sharon is pretty much unique in having been the one girlfriend of a major hero who offed said hero. And even if she has company in the Lovers from Hell category, what she did is still damned awful.

This is the Scarlet Witch's thread, though, so discussion of Cap's horrible love life should be tabled unless it relates to Wanda. (It doesn't.) Wanda's relationship with the Vision may be teased in AOU but I doubt that Whedon will go full-out with a romance. They will probably develop a mutual admiration and maybe one will help/protect the other somewhere along the way. The Vision's personality and "human" characteristics will have to be developed beyond what we know of JARVIS in order for a relationship with Wanda to make sense to the GA, IMO.
Preach! I agree and you are right in every aspect on that horrific relationship despite of what the delusionals say. I'll refrain from contaminating the awesomeness that is Wanda and her thread with talk of basic, lame, and non-factor female characters as well. And I said that too, I think Vision and Wanda will be fond of each other but they won't go full fledge.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #861
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Yeah that is the thing, fancy and cockney is like a combined 2% of the population, although I do understand most of the south would sound posh to Americans because it does to non-southerners. But not many people actually sound like Downton Abbey.

I guess also it is difficult to distinguish different regional accents from a different country, for example I can think of a few regional accents in the US, but I'm sure there are a lot more which I can't tell apart.

RDJ's accent was actually one of the better ones but yeah it still really isn't great, the best I've heard is Tatiana Maslany in Orphana Black and she is Canadian(?)

Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #862
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
Preach! I agree and you are right in every aspect on that horrific relationship despite of what the delusionals say. I'll refrain from contaminating the awesomeness that is Wanda and her thread with talk of basic, lame, and non-factor female characters as well. And I said that too, I think Vision and Wanda will be fond of each other but they won't go full fledge.
First of all, caveat: let's not be disingenuous here. Don't get all preachy about "omg this is the SW thread not the Cap's love life thread hurr durr" and then proceed to actually *discuss* Cap's love life in the SW thread. So that being said, let me clear my throat (uh huh, uh huh):

Quote:
Yes, Sharon Carter shot Captain America --- after Crossbones had mortally wounded him with a shot from a sniper rifle, and all while she was under hypnosis from Dr. Faustus. So yeah, xeno, to your point about comic book characters killing their lovers of their own free will, and what a "terrible" person Sharon Carter is because of it....? Fail.

*mic drop*

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #863
Destined
BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
First of all, caveat: let's not be disingenuous here. Don't get all preachy about "omg this is the SW thread not the Cap's love life thread hurr durr" and then proceed to actually *discuss* Cap's love life in the SW thread. So that being said, let me clear my throat (uh huh, uh huh):

Yes, Sharon Carter shot Captain America --- after Crossbones had mortally wounded him with a shot from a sniper rifle, and all while she was under hypnosis from Dr. Faustus. So yeah, xeno, to your point about comic book characters killing their lovers of their own free will, and what a "terrible" person Sharon Carter is because of it....? Fail.

*mic drop*
Sharon is that you? Lol! Chile BYE! It's not that deep and you can pick up the imaginary mike. And yes, you need to stop talking about Lame 13 in Wanda's thread. We've moved on from insignificance. Take that to her or your thread under Captain America's tab.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 AM   #864
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
We don't really hear a diverse amount of accents over here. It's either real fancy or real cockney. Is what it is. I heard a lot of *****ing about RDJ's Sherlock accent and was like, "he's not saying that r the correct way, or the inflection is like 35% off" and I'm like, the ****?
Britain is kinda weird when it comes to accents.

The country is small, no bigger than Florida. But the amount of different accents and dialects spread out over such a small place is mind boggling.

London alone has about 3 or 4!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #865
Silvermoth
Avenger

Makes sense. Britain is also old and was civilised before good public transport so people generally formed cultures around their cities and towns and rarely intermingled. This led to different ways of doing things including slang and dialects

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #866
Pond
Side-Kick

Quote:

YouŽd be surprised how many people think James Marsters is British, on both sides of the pond.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #867
terry78

Yeah, Marsters, Desinof, Streep and Alan Tudyk have fooled a lot of people I've heard. Hell, Allison Brie does a decent accent.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #868
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Yeah, Marsters, Desinof, Streep and Alan Tudyk have fooled a lot of people I've heard. Hell, Allison Brie does a decent accent.
Waaat!!!???

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #869
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I can do a great British accent!

*Ahem*

WOT! Bloody sod off you wanka!

*bows*

Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #870
terry78

Marsters is a Cali dude, as is Tudyk aka King Candy aka the german dude in DOTF and the british sidekick in A Knight's Tale.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #871
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Sharon is that you? Lol! Chile BYE! It's not that deep and you can pick up the imaginary mike. And yes, you need to stop talking about Lame 13 in Wanda's thread. We've moved on from insignificance. Take that to her or your thread under Captain America's tab.

...he said, as the thread droned on about James Marsters, Alan Tudyk, non-British British actors, and virtually everyone else *but* Elizabeth Olsen and Scarlet Witch.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #872
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wow your some piece of work.

Hypocrisy is strong in this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #873
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Now I regret complaining about the sexy cosplay. Sheesh.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #874
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I can do a great British accent!

*Ahem*

WOT! Bloody sod off you wanka!

*bows*
That was pukka me ol china. Now piss off down the nuclear sub and get me an Aristotle.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #875
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Wait do we know if the twins will have non-american accents?

Closed Thread