The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #101
Travesty
TEOL

Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 5

I don't see it doing well for a few reasons. 1.) it has no campaign. I know that doesn't sound like a huge deal, but for a $60 game, many gamers expect it to have the full package. 2.) bots. I can see people getting bored with playing against bots. 3.) it'll be spilting the xbone and 360 community up.

I know it'll probably do good for 2-3 months, but this just reminds me a lot of Shadowrun on the 360. A great MP only game that was incredibly fun, and had a strong community for about 2-3 months, but didn't sell well due to being MP only, and having other competition. I guess when I say "bomb", I don't mean out of the gate. I guess I should have said I don't see it having strong legs for long term competition.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #102
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

I don't think Shadowrun compares as there are still many casual gamers out there who haven't even heard of it. Even 2nd tier shooters don't seem to give the real big guns CoD, Halo & Battlefield (since 3) any competition. If TitanFall turns out to be as good as the beta implies I think it will beat out much of the 2nd tier (say BFBC2 levels) and the sequel can break out like BF3 did.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #103
Travesty
TEOL

If the game cost $30-$40, I could see it. But $60 for a MP game only with bots, I just don't see it. I really don't.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #104
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
For some reasons, I just see Titanfall bombing.
You will more than likely be wrong. A bunch of people hopped on the Beta and there has been nothing but positive remarks coming out of the gaming press. The only way it "bombs" is if the projected number of sales is some astronomical, unreachable figure. No doubt the game will do really, really well.

Quote:
If the game cost $30-$40, I could see it. But $60 for a MP game only with bots, I just don't see it. I really don't.
You do realize there are other humans in the game right? Its not "only bots".

Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #105
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
You do realize there are other humans in the game right? Its not "only bots".
Yes, I've played it. It's fun. But it's more like a 6v6 with bots. You do kill a lot of bots in the matches, and I can see it getting old.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #106
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Yes, I've played it. It's fun. But it's more like a 6v6 with bots. You do kill a lot of bots in the matches, and I can see it getting old.
It'll more than likely have the opposite effect. The more 'casual' crowd will enjoy the fact they can rack up a bunch of kills, bots or not. It makes everyone in the game, regardless of skill, feel like they are contributing. Thats why its going to do so well, its strikes a balance between the casual and hardcore shooter fans. Its got that CoD run n gun gameplay. The game is gonna be a big hit. It certainly won't bomb, ill bet on that.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #107
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

My understanding is that it will have some kind of campaign, just not one in the traditional sense. I've only heard about it, I don't believe it's been shown at all how it's supposed to even work. But, you still make a good point. It's going to be interesting to see how something like Titanfall that is entirely multiplayer will hit with a marketplace that expects some kind of single player experience. I just think there's more at play here, too. Alot of people want something new and different, and Titanfall is really the first major release of the new generation. So, I think it being the first big thing on either the Xbox One (or the PS4, for that matter) has an effect on people wanting to get something on the new console that can't be had on the previous ones.

PC's are always the exceptions, though.

I wonder, if it's a huge success if we'll see more Multiplayer-Only games being released at full price, as well.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #108
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

I find it odd that a single player only game gets applause, yet create a MP only title and people want it discounted? The amount of time players spend in the MP modes of CoD or a BF probably dwarfs even the largest RPG's. Hell iv got well over 130 hours in BF4.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #109
Travesty
TEOL

There's plenty of MP games only, it's just most if them don't cost the full price of a full retail game. There's a LOT more resources that are put into campaigns for games, while the MP department rarely ever uses that much, and is therefore and addition to a game with a campaign, or cost about half the price of a full retail game.

Also, this is a new company. If this game doesn't sell amazingly well, there's a good chance that they'll go under, and you won't be seeing any more updates and map packs. Which of course, I've seen a lot, as well. Just having a campaign with a "full package" price could help secure that. We'll see. I just don't see it having strong legs.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #110
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
There's plenty of MP games only, it's just most if them don't cost the full price of a full retail game. There's a LOT more resources that are put into campaigns for games, while the MP department rarely ever uses that much, and is therefore and addition to a game with a campaign, or cost about half the price of a full retail game.

Also, this is a new company. If this game doesn't sell amazingly well, there's a good chance that they'll go under, and you won't be seeing any more updates and map packs. Which of course, I've seen a lot, as well. Just having a campaign with a "full package" price could help secure that. We'll see. I just don't see it having strong legs.
Thats not always accurate. Battlefield is a prime example of a game that puts far more resources into its MP than it does its SP.

I don't think having a SP would help with that, in the least. If the game tanks, it won't be because they didnt have a 4-6 hour campaign. With titles like this, its the MP that keeps people from trading the game in, not its SP campaign. This game will have the same amount of longevity as Call of Duty or Battlefield, which is to say, quite a bit. I wouldn't doubt it becoming big on the E-Sports scene either. With the games fast pace, it'll prob do quite well there.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #111
Travesty
TEOL

It has bots. It'll never be in competitive play, unless there's a way to turn bots off.

As for PC, I think it'll do even worse than the consoles.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #112
Dugath
Side-Kick

I played the Beta. Not sure if I am allowed to say anything.
I will picking this up -Downloading- for sure. (and I suck at MP Shooters lol).

Battle Field 4
Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #113
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
It has bots. It'll never be in competitive play, unless there's a way to turn bots off.

As for PC, I think it'll do even worse than the consoles.
No, thats not accurate. Its already been stated that Titanfall will probably make its way to e-sports. The e-sports community is asking for the game to be made available. So you will see it in competitions before long, further solidifying its staying power.

Im not sure how the game will do on PC, but its going to do great numbers for console.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #114
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugath View Post
I played the Beta. Not sure if I am allowed to say anything.
I will picking this up -Downloading- for sure. (and I suck at MP Shooters lol).
Haha, it was an open beta. You are free to speak.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #115
Travesty
TEOL

Heh, it won't make it's way to any legitimate esports events. Go onto MLG/game battles and see what everyone is saying. Sure, you can do private "competitive" matches with your friends on game battles, but it won't be a real competition event.

Plus, the developers said there won't be private lobbies on launch, so you really can't even play it on GB until that's patched, if it ever is.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #116
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Heh, it won't make it's way to any legitimate esports events. Go onto MLG/game battles and see what everyone is saying. Sure, you can do private "competitive" matches with your friends on game battles, but it won't be a real competition event.
No, thats highly doubtful. As i stated, Respawn has claimed they are receiving a ton of demand from e-sport competitors. The game won't be optimized for e-sports at launch, as thats not their focus, but it will be shortly after launch. The game will more than likely be a big draw to e-sports players. Its easy to watch for viewers and fast placed for the players. No doubt it strikes it big in that arena. Its not a matter of if, but when.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #117
Travesty
TEOL

Respawn isn't interested in esports.

http://esports-nation.com/news/sourc...ot-a-priority/

Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #118
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Respawn isn't interested in esports.

http://esports-nation.com/news/sourc...ot-a-priority/
Yes they are and this article is dated after the one you posted.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/18/542...esports-future

Its just like i said a post above, their focus isn't on that at launch, but it more than likely will be following it. Theres already a bunch of demand for it and the game hasn't even dropped yet.

Even if the game doesnt make it to the e-sports scene and thats a gigantic, colossal if, theres no evidence to support that the game won't have staying power with the console community the way Call of Duty or Battlefield have. Its really going to have to bomb for EA to pull the plug on the whole thing. Theres very little chance of that happening.

Last edited by ProjectPat2280; 02-24-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #119
Travesty
TEOL

Heh, that article even says that it's not their primary focus, and they're just listening to what people want, but aren't promising anything.

I'm telling you right now, if it has bots, or you can't disable them, it won't make it's way into any legitimate event.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #120
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Heh, that article even says that it's not their primary focus, and they're just listening to what people want, but aren't promising anything.

I'm telling you right now, if it has bots, or you can't disable them, it won't make it's way into any legitimate event.
Thats exactly what i said prior. Thats not their focus at launch, but the demand is clearly there. Bots won't have any effect on its e-sports entry. It'll show up sooner or later, bots or no bots. The game will be too popular for Respawn to pass over e-sports, although im not saying Respawn will need it. As i said, its a matter of when, not if.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #121
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Iv been around the PS4 enough to know that it probably won't ever by my 'primary' system. The XB1 just offers too much, entertainment wise, for it to be usurped by another console at this point. The majority of the time that my XB1 is on, its doing something other than gaming. Not to say that i don't game a lot, because i do, but the amount of time i spend watching Netflix, TV and using other media apps dwarfs the amount of time i spend playing a game. For that stuff, the XB1 is the clear winner.

At this point im willing to take the games with lower resolution(primarily because the differences don't exist on my 32'' tv) if it means a better integrated machine with my current entertainment setup.

When people ask me what system they should go with, i always ask what they're looking for out of their console. If the TV and voice integration isn't something you think you'd use, don't hesitate, go PS4. But if you are looking for a console to be the center of your entertainment hub, its hard to argue against the XB1.
I checked out how the Netflix app on the Xbox One is and personally, I find adding the Metro UI design to Netflix to be absolutely horrendous. I prefer the standard Netflix interface that the PlayStation 4 has.

And honestly, I think that Sony will eventually be adding other media functions to the PlayStation 4 similar to Microsoft's. We're getting HBO Go, and I'll be shocked and astonished if MLB.tv, YouTube, Pandora, Skype, and other apps as well. I think within the next couple of years, neither box will be the clear winner.

Quote:
but iv yet to see that to be an excuse to go with one console over the other. The differences are too narrow, if they're noticeable at all. If Sonys machine gets to the point where 3rd party games look like they are being run on an 'Ultra' setting where as the XB1 looks like its running on 'medium', then yea, absolutely go Sony. I don't foresee a gap like that coming though.
That's pretty much how I feel.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #122
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I checked out how the Netflix app on the Xbox One is and personally, I find adding the Metro UI design to Netflix to be absolutely horrendous. I prefer the standard Netflix interface that the PlayStation 4 has.

And honestly, I think that Sony will eventually be adding other media functions to the PlayStation 4 similar to Microsoft's. We're getting HBO Go, and I'll be shocked and astonished if MLB.tv, YouTube, Pandora, Skype, and other apps as well. I think within the next couple of years, neither box will be the clear winner.
Im not sure what interface the PS4 uses for Netflix, I haven't seen it(unless its unchanged from the PS3). I don't have any issues with that the XB1 uses though. For the longest time the interface for netflix on the xbox sucked something fierce and id ALWAYS use my PS3 for Netflix.

Yea i think app wise, the two consoles will be indistinguishable, its the TV connection where the XB1 sets itself apart, media wise. That feature is really, really neat if one takes advantage of it.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #123
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Im not sure what interface the PS4 uses for Netflix, I haven't seen it(unless its unchanged from the PS3).
Netflix on the PlayStation 4 uses the new standardized Netflix UI along with Max which was introduced on the PlayStation 3.

Quote:
I don't have any issues with that the XB1 uses though. For the longest time the interface for netflix on the xbox sucked something fierce and id ALWAYS use my PS3 for Netflix.
I thought the UI on the Xbox 360 was a bit bland looking, but I thought it did the job competently. Personally, I have just never really cared for Microsoft's Metro UI design. It works well for phones, but I think it's terrible for other devices.

IMO, I think that both Sony and Microsoft should touch up their user UIs for their consoles.

Quote:
Yea i think app wise, the two consoles will be indistinguishable, its the TV connection where the XB1 sets itself apart, media wise. That feature is really, really neat if one takes advantage of it.
I think that Sony will eventually even add in similar features as well. I think that Sony has the same goals as Microsoft, but are just being much more subtle about it.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #124
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Have you played the beta btw? Seems a funny thing to say as I think it's the bots that will make this game huge (if anything will). There's enough games out there that cater to the hardcore and have too much of a barrier to entry to newcomers (& I know the attraction of those kinds of games being a big Gears fan). This is a game that anyone can have a great time on from the 1st minute they pick up the controller, even if they're playing terribly. The kind of game that can attract the masses. If it weren't the 1st game in the series I'd be a lot more confident though. There's been very few new games to challenge on the multiplayer shooter scene dominated by CoD & Halo for so long. Just Battlefield really and that already had a long history.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #125
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Well, just pre-ordered the Titanfall Bundle from Bestbuy. Managed to snag a extra controller at $10 off, and Dead Rising 3 at $7 off, as well. But, getting Titanfall basically for free was a no-brainer.

I feel really fortunate to have a brother that's as into gaming as I am. Splitting the cost down the middle is a life saver. It'd be quite daunting to take on the cost entirely on my own.

Closed Thread