The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #326
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
To be BRUTALLY honest? I kinda don't anyone coming back after Phase Three comes to a close. As incredibly unlikely as I'm sure this is, given the money that's being raked in, I'd rather the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or at least its current incarnation, came to an end with the closure of Phase 3 in The Avengers 3. Have that be a massive story, and the culmination of what will have been by that point a decade-long epic, with everything coming to a rich, satisfying climax that brings this vast narrative full circle. And then end it. Then it can be seen as a full, rich, complete narrative, rather than risk diminishing returns by recasting the key roles and trotting out lesser sequels, and just beating the horse until people lose interest.
Well while I'm not sure about everyone else, I think Mark and Jeremy still have a lot more films available in their contract to appear in, especially since neither have either starred in a solo film of their own or appeared as a major star/character for anyone else's.

I think Scarlett may have signed on for 6, so if you include three avengers films and the two solos that she's done so far (Iron Man 2 and CA: TWS) then she's down at 5..and her 6th one may be the third CA film or her own solo film.

Sam Jackson seems like he'd have no problem with reprising for more if the money is right.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #327
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

It seems like Daredevil's going to have a niche as the lynchpin of MCU's TV wing in the Netflix original dramas. But I do like the idea of building to a big cosmic epic, perhaps using The Guardians of the Galaxy as your springboard into that corner of the Marvel Universe.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #328
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well while I'm not sure about everyone else, I think Mark and Jeremy still have a lot more films available in their contract to appear in, especially since neither have either starred in a solo film of their own or appeared as a major star/character for anyone else's.

I think Scarlett may have signed on for 6, so if you include three avengers films and the two solos that she's done so far (Iron Man 2 and CA: TWS) then she's down at 5..and her 6th one may be the third CA film or her own solo film.

Sam Jackson seems like he'd have no problem with reprising for more if the money is right.
But if it starts becoming about, "What original characters can we contractually oblige to hang on for a couple more years, and who can we lure back with big paydays?", then isn't there a fear of it all going a bit ER Season 10?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #329
universeman
Side-Kick

I would love to see Daredevil Doctor Strange and Black Panther on the big screen !

Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #330
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
But if it starts becoming about, "What original characters can we contractually oblige to hang on for a couple more years, and who can we lure back with big paydays?", then isn't there a fear of it all going a bit ER Season 10?
Indeed; plus, it's going to feel visually jarring (in some ways in my honest opinion) if we see some of the newer heroes that are only just being introduced into the MCU or will be introduced into the MCU in later phases and have them interact with the original Avengers cast for a film (most likely Avengers 3 for that big event), only to have most of the actors leave after that and have those same new heroes (with the same cast) interact with the Avengers again later on, only for it to be comprised of new cast members playing those iconic roles.

Plus, another thing that I worry about is the feeling of repetition when it comes to presenting threats. I mean how many times can Marvel present the usual "villain is going to destroy the world, country, universe, and realms" scenario before it becomes stale?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #331
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Your opinion won't be popular, but I agree with you (although I'd push it to phase 4 for the final act). It'll never happen, of course, because Marvel won't just close their doors after phase 3 ends, but I'm all for having a definitive end to a story, even one that's as big as the MCU.

Then again, I thought all of their comic character stories should have ended years ago, but I'm in the minority.
Ughhhhhhh….

Such a hater. Drinkin' all that haterade!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I'm totally fine with MS exploring different franchises after Avengers 3. I'm very interested to see what behind-the-scenes talent they get to carry on the big team-up movies. Will Gunn and Wright stay on their respective franchises? Are the Russos being groomed to become Whedon's successors after A3? Will the Netflix series stay on Netflix or will they make the jump to the big screen? And how far can they take the cosmic-level universe?

Feige, too, is the mastermind and heart behind all of this, the MCU engineer. Whatever stumbling blocks the MCU's had, it's really an unqualified success in Hollywood, for now. Feige's a very in-demand figure, someone who's always shortlisted whenever the major studios go through big-time executive operations reorganization. So I'm also very interested to see how long he stays with MS. He's basically Marvel's Steve Jobs.

(I feel for anyone who has to step into Feige's shoes when the time inevitably comes.)

It'll all be really, really interesting to see it play out.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #332
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Ughhhhhhh….

I'm totally fine with MS exploring different franchises after Avengers 3. I'm very interested to see what behind-the-scenes talent they get to carry on the big team-up movies. Will Gunn and Wright stay on their respective franchises? Are the Russos being groomed to become Whedon's successors after A3? Will the Netflix series stay on Netflix or will they make the jump to the big screen? And how far can they take the cosmic-level universe?

Feige, too, is the mastermind and heart behind all of this, the MCU engineer. Whatever stumbling blocks the MCU's had, it's really an unqualified success in Hollywood, for now. Feige's a very in-demand figure, someone who's always shortlisted whenever the major studios go through big-time executive operations reorganization. So I'm also very interested to see how long he stays with MS. He's basically Marvel's Steve Jobs.

(I feel for anyone who has to step into Feige's shoes when the time inevitably comes.)

Who was it that called Kevin Feige, "One of the first true auteur producers we've seen in cinema in ages," or something to that effect? It's a description that's bang on the money for me.

And here's the thing: it feels like Marvel Studios is only now coming into it's full power. The first wave of films, Phase 1, were for me largely good films, but unremarkable. Iron Man was the best, managing to be more than the sum of its parts, but these were films tasked with trying to establish some characters and mythologies that were quite unfamiliar with the general moviegoing audience, and so didn't always feel like the grandest in scope. But the pivotal turning point was The Avengers. That was, in my opinion, the first Marvel Studios film that managed to feel like a cinematic event, a huge cultural phenomenon on par with The Dark Knight or Spider-Man. All those films which, individually, felt like smaller franchises, came together to make something that felt grand and epic. And it helped that, in terms of quality, the film was excellent too. Now, in turn, it feels like Marvel has been firing on all cylinders with the Phase 2 films. First Iron Man 3, then Thor: The Dark World and it seems like Captain America: The Winter Soldier is going the same way. More refined, more assured, and carrying a greater weight and gravitas. Coming out of The Avengers, each of these individual heroes seems to carry more cultural weight behind them, making each individual film feel like more of an event. It's exciting seeing this studio grow and evolve before our eyes, and I can't wait to see what scale they're operating on come Phase 3.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #333
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Who was it that called Kevin Feige, "One of the first true auteur producers we've seen in cinema in ages," or something to that effect? It's a description that's bang on the money for me.

And here's the thing: it feels like Marvel Studios is only now coming into it's full power. The first wave of films, Phase 1, were for me largely good films, but unremarkable. Iron Man was the best, managing to be more than the sum of its parts, but these were films tasked with trying to establish some characters and mythologies that were quite unfamiliar with the general moviegoing audience, and so didn't always feel like the grandest in scope. But the pivotal turning point was The Avengers. That was, in my opinion, the first Marvel Studios film that managed to feel like a cinematic event, a huge cultural phenomenon on par with The Dark Knight or Spider-Man. All those films which, individually, felt like smaller franchises, came together to make something that felt grand and epic. And it helped that, in terms of quality, the film was excellent too. Now, in turn, it feels like Marvel has been firing on all cylinders with the Phase 2 films. First Iron Man 3, then Thor: The Dark World and it seems like Captain America: The Winter Soldier is going the same way. More refined, more assured, and carrying a greater weight and gravitas. Coming out of The Avengers, each of these individual heroes seems to carry more cultural weight behind them, making each individual film feel like more of an event. It's exciting seeing this studio grow and evolve before our eyes, and I can't wait to see what scale they're operating on come Phase 3.
Yeah, I feel like Marvel is where Pixar was in it's earlier years, crafting really unique (sometimes polarizing) standalone films that are saturated with the directors and writers own unique styles. And each franchise has their own tone, their own theme, while at the same time building an interconnected, interlocking world.

That the whole production is connected nearly flawlessly to a larger framework really just… it blows my mind. Add to that that Feige and Co. are managing to find top-notch behind the scenes talent and great actors to make the products. It's totally… wow.

When you think about it, the sustained success of Marvel, basically an upstart production company, is pretty incredible.

ETA: after typing this out, I decided to add the Marvel Cinematic Universe boxset to my Amazon Wishlist for Birth-Christmas-day present this year. Even though I own all the Marvel movies. Just cuz.

Last edited by Suzanne78; 02-16-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #334
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I mean how many times can Marvel present the usual "villain is going to destroy the world, country, universe, and realms" scenario before it becomes stale?
It worked for them for 50 years with way less time between the installments

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #335
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Seriously, imagine, 10 years from now when AoS is done. Phase 4 is done. What then? They´ll still need to make money but can they just do it all over again? Same movies, same charachters?
I for one hope they start from the beginning with a complete reboot of all different charachters that´s supposed to make up the Avengers eventually.

The origin phase:
Explore all that happens to Cap in WW2. Bring in RS, Zemo, Howard Stark, Black Panters dad? The SSS with connections to Hulk, Black Widow, her training and brief meeting with TWS as in the comics, you name it.

Space phase:
Also do this with the titans (Thanos and his origin), the old olympians, old Asgardians (battle frostgigants on earth?) Kree and the Skrull. Build up towards the main phase.
Explore Herc, Moondragon but also make sure foundations for new villains like Superadaptoid are made.

Main phase:
Hopefully this will feel new and bring a lot of new charachters to the table. Some guys to throw around is She-Hulk, Rulk, Modok, Zemo, Herc, Superadaptoid and it goes on + I´d like if they added more sidekicks.
Here the Space/non-earth phase and earth origin phase would meet and the Avengers would happen.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #336
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
It worked for them for 50 years with way less time between the installments
Same way DC has done it as well (except for maybe films yet.) People develop a connection with certain heroes and will continue following them no matter how they are portrayed in comics or films.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #337
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Well, if you think about it, TWS (as well as the rest of Phase II) is already changing the formula a bit too. The focus on this movie will ostensibly be Steve's relationship with WS, as well as Steve's continuing adjustment to the morality and ambiguity of the modern age and letting go of his past.

Thor's primary battle will always likely be with Loki, to be honest. That's going to be a love-hate relationship that can drive that franchise for a while I think.

And in Iron Man, Tony Stark's always kind of been his own worst enemy.

In many cases, with the exception of Thor, the villain is merely a sideshow, but the real focus of each movie is more hero-focused. So there are ways Marvel can really step it up even further with each movie.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #338
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

This isn't Black Widow in the car is it?

http://moviesblog.mtv.com//wp-conten...4/02/6lrlf.gif

Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #339
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

^Nice one. Let´s pretend for a second it is. Could it be after Steve and Natasha have been undercover as shown in:

I mean, at one point in the trailer we see him walk in to Natasha´s room. Maybe they are working together on several undercover missions and one of them is to transport Nick Fury
and those guys interfere in the middle of it. It could be Cap beside her driving. The T-shirts could be the same and he looks like he got a pretty strong arm lol.

Last edited by Mightyally; 02-16-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #340
SharpTeeth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJByrum View Post

Looks like it is. And I'm pretty sure the Sam Wilson is the one driving; Marvel released a photo of him in an olive green short sleeved shirt.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #341
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnak View Post
It is free promotion for the movie. Which is good for it and his career. Why wouldn't he do it?
Because he's been really open about his anxiety issues and desire to remain as private as possible.

Typically, he HATES these public appearances.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #342
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Ughhhhhhh….

Hey--HEY!--don't you roll your eyes at me, young lady!

Haterade aside, Feige said he has this thing planned out until 2021. Whether he makes it that far is anyone's guess, but part of his value is his knowledge of Marvel comics. That doesn't really translate to another job unless Fox or Sony lures him away to work on their Marvel properties. Honestly, I don't see that happening. If anything, Disney might move him over to Pixar or the Star Wars properties (which could use him, actually).

As long as this scenario doesn't end with Loeb taking over the MCU, I'm willing to deal with whatever he chooses to do.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #343
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
As long as this scenario doesn't end with Loeb taking over the MCU, I'm willing to deal with whatever he chooses to do.
Good Lord, don't even think that.

With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."
~ The Road of Kings

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 PM   #344
TJByrum
Captain America Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpTeeth View Post
Looks like it is. And I'm pretty sure the Sam Wilson is the one driving; Marvel released a photo of him in an olive green short sleeved shirt.

The guy driving looks white though. Unless they used some sort of CGI magic to mislead us.

Whoever it is it doesn't look like Cap, or a SHIELD Agent either. Could be a random car, but then again I don't see the point of doing that to it, unless he is just trying to cause a wreck to delay enemy reinforcements.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #345
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:

I think it is, along with Falcon. There were shots of him firing a gun and using his wings from the overpass wearing the exact green shirt.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #346
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
So does Evans being the Grand Marsha; for the Daytona 500 mean anything about a trailer being shown?

And tomorrow is President's day... we're getting a GotG trailer, but what about a new Cap trailer?
We just got a new Captain America trailer 14 days ago. Marvel isn't going to release another so soon. Iron Man 3 and Thor: TDW both had two trailers, so CATWS will probably get the same treatment. There will be TV spots but that's likely to be it.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #347
regnak
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksb36 View Post
Because he's been really open about his anxiety issues and desire to remain as private as possible.

Typically, he HATES these public appearances.

Maybe he is getting used to the appearances and working through those issues.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #348
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Now that he put it out there, watch Loeb become Feige's successor.

THANKS, MATT!! :sarcasm:

Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #349
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
If Loeb takes over, it'd be the end of MCU as we know it. Rulk will appear and he'll be the main hero in every movie if Loeb calls the shot.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #350
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Now that he put it out there, watch Loeb become Feige's successor.

THANKS, MATT!! :sarcasm:

The fate of the MCU would be grim if Loeb ever got his hands on it. Given the state of Agents of SHIELD Disney/Marvel ought to be reluctant to let him anywhere near the film universe. We should not underestimate that hack's ability to fail upward, however.

Closed Thread