The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #26
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

Default Re: getting into the comics

I seem to vaguely remember SOME villain that had a spiked MACE as part of his hand, but I don't think he was a regular Spidey villain... maybe a one-time villain that he crossed paths with Spidey...

-edit-
whoops, I checked the spiked mace guy out... it WAS the Absorbing Man who I was thinking of...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zehnnzii DeeYa, unstable B***hQueen, and
Fylia, her kiss-ass, and Leecherus, an ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The **** lies thru the guise of her deceitful words and lies in the fetid s**t-heap she calls a life, useless to save herself.
None are so blind to the truth than the misled, gullible travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.
TYAFU

Last edited by THUNDERSTRIKE; 02-26-2014 at 09:57 AM.
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #27
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Thing is, this was from some old comics. I don't remember if it was 80's or even 70's comics, because we got those always so late here, some 70's issues were probably sold here in the 80's. I'm very sure it wasnt the 90's, it was certainly older.

Tehmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehmeh View Post
Thing is, this was from some old comics. I don't remember if it was 80's or even 70's comics, because we got those always so late here, some 70's issues were probably sold here in the 80's. I'm very sure it wasnt the 90's, it was certainly older.
was this villain on a cover?

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
Seer.
The **** lies thru the guise of her deceitful words and lies in the fetid s**t-heap she calls a life, useless to save herself.
None are so blind to the truth than the misled, gullible travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #29
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
was this villain on a cover?
I wish I could remember. I don't. If I had to take a guess, I'd say yes.

edit: you guys are helpful and enthusiastic as hell. this is great.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #30
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

Quote:
I wish I could remember. I don't. If I had to take a guess, I'd say yes.

edit: you guys are helpful and enthusiastic as hell. this is great.
that's called having too much time on my hands, LOL...

but I'm still stumped... I STILL say it HAS to be the Absorbing Man, but you say he had no ability to change, so that takes him out of the equation...

Seer.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #31
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

I'm pretty sure it's not the absorbing man. Checking out different wikis, trying to find the guy I'm thinking of. Wouldn't surprise me if he'd a 60's character too, so many options open here.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #32
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
fixed it for ya...
Haha thank you!

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #33
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Haha thank you!

Seer.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #34
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

maybe themanofbat or Daniel Thomas or one of the other long-timers might know and be of help?

Seer.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #35
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

It might also be possible that he was only on one comic book and was never seen/heard again. Don't stress yourself over this, having fun searching myself.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #36
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

Quote:
It might also be possible that he was only on one comic book and was never seen/heard again. Don't stress yourself over this, having fun searching myself.
nah, no stress, no worries... it's just when I'm presented with a sort of mystery, it digs into my brain to find the solution... so far, I'm being pretty unsuccessful...

Seer.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #37
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

do you remember any specifics or details about the story?

Seer.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #38
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

No, nothing. It might've been some henchman for some short story that was never referred to again. Definitely not a reoccurring villain, that's what I'm getting. And damned if I remember this wrong and that bastard fought some other hero instead of Spider-man!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #39
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

It also might've been an entirely separate album, not related to general SM universe that much. But again, don't remember this for sure.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #40
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

While searching, seeing so many great characters that I loved (to hate) back then. Cloak&Dagger were among the best. Silvermane too. Amazing characters.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #41
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

Quote:
No, nothing. It might've been some henchman for some short story that was never referred to again. Definitely not a reoccurring villain, that's what I'm getting. And damned if I remember this wrong and that bastard fought some other hero instead of Spider-man!

I'm starting to wonder if you're confusing Spidey with some other hero who took on this mystery villain, as well...

cause I'm just stumped... I just keep coming back to Absorbing and Thunderball, both a pair of muscle bound cement-heads, each using a wrecking ball and who were both not traditional Spidey villains...

Seer.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if you're confusing Spidey with some other hero who took on this mystery villain, as well...
It is a possibility, but I still think it's Spidey. Just found a weird character named Dr.Bong with a metal ball for one hand. And it isn't even him!

edit: so many pages don't seem to recognize Cloak&Dagger, and I haven't seen Ace anywhere so far either. Ace was that black guy from "the hood", super-quick and good with knives. Not a supervillain, and probably a one-album character too, but he was cool.

Last edited by Tehmeh; 02-26-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #43
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

Quote:
It is a possibility, but I still think it's Spidey. Just found a weird character named Dr.Bong with a metal ball for one hand. And it isn't even him!

edit: so many pages don't seem to recognize Cloak&Dagger, and I haven't seen Ace anywhere so far either. Ace was that black guy from "the hood", super-quick and good with knives. Not a supervillain, and probably a one-album character too, but he was cool.
Cloak and Dagger haven't been a part of the Spidey universe for YEARS now, though they WERE back in the 80's, but writers figured them to move on, I guess...

as for Ace, I remember him and I didn't like him... he was a Michael Jackson mirror image character, if I remember correctly... guess it has something to do with my never liking Michael Jackson in the first place...

Seer.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #44
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Cloak and Dagger haven't been a part of the Spidey universe for YEARS now, though they WERE back in the 80's, but writers figured them to move on, I guess...

as for Ace, I remember him and I didn't like him... he was a Michael Jackson mirror image character, if I remember correctly... guess it has something to do with my never liking Michael Jackson in the first place...
I thought he was more like Prince in Purple Rain.

He was one of those guys made specifically for the purpose of annuals. Peter David created him. They were pretty good stories. David was real good at Spider-Man stories involving the gritty street level stuff.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #45
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:

That's what it is, it's a very old character, probably older than Cloak&Dagger. I stopped reading comics somewhere late 1980's, and even then this particular villain seemed somewhat old and only in one album.

If only we would've had internet in 1960's, all this stuff would be archived properly now.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #46
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Hahaa, well said.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #47
THUNDERSTRIKE
FLIP OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post

He was one of those guys made specifically for the purpose of annuals. Peter David created him. They were pretty good stories. David was real good at Spider-Man stories involving the gritty street level stuff.
Prince was another one I never got into... my musical tastes ran FAR different from theirs...

Seer.
TYAFU

Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #48
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Prince is an awesome guitar player.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #49
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Don't be dissing Dr. Bong!!!

I've been paying attention to this mystery villain... hard to look things up while working... but I'm on it.

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #50
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Don't be dissing Dr. Bong!!!

I've been paying attention to this mystery villain... hard to look things up while working... but I'm on it.

No one's dissing your Bong! Bongs shall remain uncriticized!

I'm checking ASM covers right now starting from the 60's. It's becoming more and more clear that it must've been some individual album, not part of any ongoing magazine series. Perhaps not even just a Spider-man album, but I still think he was in it. This is going to take all year. I've got time though.