The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor.
I love it! 76 53.90%
I hate it! 49 34.75%
I don't care. 16 11.35%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #101
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Default Re: Jesse Eisenberg IS Lex Luthor - Part 5

Just watched the trailer for The Double.

WHAT.

THE.

F***?

Could be good though.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #102
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I think eisenberg will end up being genius and witty yet neurotic and obsessive compulsive. I think he drop the awkward act and replace it with a more demanding, psychotic personality.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #103
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
I think eisenberg will end up being genius and witty yet neurotic and obsessive compulsive. I think he drop the awkward act and replace it with a more demanding, psychotic personality.
So basically a rich/bald Riddler. Im not sure how i feel about that..

Old 03-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #104
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
So basically a rich/bald Riddler. Im not sure how i feel about that..
They said a we'd get a new and more unique lex. Just trying to think outside box at this point. Its obvious he won't act like the donnerverse lex, and its clear he wont be the older more physical lex from the comics, so what kind of lex do get? Either way I'm in for the ride and I'm willing to accept a different lex.

Last edited by Gamma Goliath; 03-01-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #105
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yeah i know you are, but im just saying that your description sounds a lot like a rich Riddler. Even though it sounds like something we'll get.

It's as if Edward Nygma worked hard and made billions growing up and decided to shave his head. That's what Eisenberg will be like. At least it would be different if Lex was a bigger guy. But Jesse Eisenberg has always been more of a Nygma type than Luthor. Smart, a little geeky, not physically threatening whatsoever, plays obsessive or narcissistic characters well. And i believe we're getting that. The way he is in the Social Network. But bald (maybe not who knows) and obviously filthy rich.

Last edited by shauner111; 03-01-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #106
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I say it will probably be a Riddler-type archetype, with traces of Buddy/Killian/Gaston (the character who initially looks foolish and harmless, but has a darker, more intelligent side)

I just hope it's a great movie character, because I DON'T think it will be comic book Lex.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #107
shauner111
Side-Kick

Right, and that's why i dont think i want to see Riddler as the villain in the Batman solo movie. It will feel like a repeat. Except they would probably just cast a 40 something celeb-actor for the role. But he'll have the same personality traits.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #108
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I'd like him to be a mix of Tywin Lannister and Joffrey Baratheon.

A ruthless king, angered easily with no qualms about killing innocents to make himself feel better. But also very Machievellian with the cold calculating determination that enabled him to backstab his way to the top.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #109
Leevor
Side-Kick

To me, Lex is almost inhumanly smart, a consummate liar and manipulator, extremely smug in a charismatic way, and knows that he's just as untouchable and indestructible as Superman is even without a superhuman bone in his body.

That's all I need from Eisenberg. And honestly, I can see him deliver it.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #110
The_Harvest
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevor View Post
To me, Lex is almost inhumanly smart, a consummate liar and manipulator, extremely smug in a charismatic way, and knows that he's just as untouchable and indestructible as Superman is even without a superhuman bone in his body.

That's all I need from Eisenberg. And honestly, I can see him deliver it.
You should read Lex Luthor:Man of Steel you'll love it. Best rendition of Lex Luthor in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #111
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Right, and that's why i dont think i want to see Riddler as the villain in the Batman solo movie. It will feel like a repeat. Except they would probably just cast a 40 something celeb-actor for the role. But he'll have the same personality traits.
At this point, The Riddler's mysterious 'bait and switch' tactics have been plundered for several movies. TDK with the Joker's social experiment (I feel like that's a more riddlerish thing to do), IM3 with 'The Mandaran" as a secret threat
And Talia as a puppet master. And probably something similar for Lex.

When/if the Riddler is finally a villain, it will feel all too familiar. If they do feature Riddler in a movie, I hope he's more of an anti-hero or red herring, then THE villain.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #112
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

As quoted from one of my favorite superhero movies, Unbreakable:

"...there's the soldier villain — who fights the hero with his hands; and then there's the real threat — the brilliant and evil archenemy — who fights the hero with his mind."

I think with Eisenberg, we'll definitely be getting the archenemy type.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #113
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Funny enough, I think Unbreakable has the best Lex/Clark dynamic in the movies

Remove the friendship aspect and it's fine :P

Old 03-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #114
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatFan1979 View Post
As quoted from one of my favorite superhero movies, Unbreakable:

"...there's the soldier villain — who fights the hero with his hands; and then there's the real threat — the brilliant and evil archenemy — who fights the hero with his mind."

I think with Eisenberg, we'll definitely be getting the archenemy type.
That's what I have always thought Lex should be and why I don't like the idea of them sticking him in a battlesuit in some attempt to make him a physical villain.

\S/T*
Old 03-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #115
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

TBH, I think the battlesuit is kind of hokey. And if Superman used any sort of superspeed the fight would be over in seconds.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #116
MrsKent26
Whatever.

^ I agree. It's all kinds of hokey and just not what Lex is about IMO. I want superman to feel something other than a fist in his fights with Lex.

\S/T*
Old 03-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #117
SentinelMind
Banned User

I'd have preferred someone little older, but I'm optimistic about Eisenberg. We'll get a modernized version of Lex, but as long as the intelligence, manipulation, and confidence is there, I'm good. Still don't have high expectations for this movie, but this casting has moved it the right direction.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #118
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
TBH, I think the battlesuit is kind of hokey. And if Superman used any sort of superspeed the fight would be over in seconds.
Agreed, same as with Batman and Kryptonite, etc. If he is "faster than a 'speeding' bullet" (I guess as opposed to those slow bullets) then by the time Batman pulled a weapon, or pulled a trigger, couldn't Superman have easily ripped off his finger, crushed the gun, send it off the sun and brought him back a pink plastic gun? Same as with Luthor, "oh he has an Iron-Man type of suit" which Superman could pick off the floor before Luthor could blink and send the suit with Luthor in it hurling into space. It doesn't make sense.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #119
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Eisenberg might as well be an intellectual villian, with superpowered henchmen.
I think the puppet master is the best approach, because it wouldn't overexpose a character that many fans are tired of, while showing that this is a different Lex than has ever been featured in cinema.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #120
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
I haven't seen the film but from that trailer it doesn't look like a good gauge of Eisenberg's range. It just looks like nervous Eisenberg meets cocky Eisenberg. I don't believe Snyder hired him because of his range.

I think we're just going to get Eisenberg the way he usually is. Awkward and neurotic.
He's taken on recent roles where's he's tried to play against that, like in Now you see me, but i just don't buy "cocky confident" eisenberg.

It almost defeats the purpose of casting him, if he's supposed to play a cool confident character?

It's like would you cast Michael Cera for a very physical action type role? no probably not. It wouldn't play up to his strength. Which is why I'm still not sold on this if they try to make Eisenberg play a role against his strengths.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #121
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I'd be down for a Micheal Cera action movie

He fought better than Batman has in movies in Scott Pilgrim

Old 03-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #122
regwec
Shakespearo

I hate Michael Cera.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #123
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Michael Cera was awesome in This Is the End :P

Old 03-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #124
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Cera was good as an awkward dork that one time and then got stuck there.

\S/T*
Old 03-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #125
BatFan1979
The Fan Batman Needs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
It almost defeats the purpose of casting him, if he's supposed to play a cool confident character?
I completely agree with you here. They obviously chose Jesse to fit the character they have envisioned. They wouldn't hire Jesse and then expect him change himself completely in order to play a physical intimidating, charismatic, confident Lex. That's not playing to his strengths. He's probably going to play an arrogant, fast-talking, super intelligent, elite-type villain. Maybe it'll work for what they're planning. I'm still hoping beyond hope it turns out great!

Closed Thread