The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Darthkush
Avenger

Default Do you know anyone who hates the film because...

...it's not like the Reeves and Donner films. I have a friend who totally hates Man of Steel because it's nothing like the old Superman movies. He hates the lack of a crystal fortress of solitude, he hates that superman's heat vision has actual heat/flame effects instead of 2 single red eye beams, just everything. He also says he doesn't like the scene in Superman Returns when Superman recharges from the sun. He's 41 and is not into comics. Do you guys ever encounter regular folks like this? I know people hate man of steel for the controversy surrounding superman/zod's fights but this stuff feels....silly to me.

Darthkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you know anyone who hates the film because...

I feel a number of the critic's reviews seemed to do exactly that.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:12 AM   #3
Avenging Angel
Gaurdian Angel

Well the movie as a whole isn't bad. I think it was good enough to act as its own stand alone. I think Snyder was trying to distance himself away from the originals which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Too much distance isn't good though.

Avenging Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #4
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

Yes. I see some variation of this all around the net but especially in the comments section of Yahoo.

HaplessHenchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:18 AM   #5
lndsaico
Banned User

You mean those haters on IMDB?

lndsaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
godisawesome
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthkush View Post
...it's not like the Reeves and Donner films. I have a friend who totally hates Man of Steel because it's nothing like the old Superman movies. He hates the lack of a crystal fortress of solitude, he hates that superman's heat vision has actual heat/flame effects instead of 2 single red eye beams, just everything. He also says he doesn't like the scene in Superman Returns when Superman recharges from the sun. He's 41 and is not into comics. Do you guys ever encounter regular folks like this? I know people hate man of steel for the controversy surrounding superman/zod's fights but this stuff feels....silly to me.
I think there's definitely a strong current in older circles to see MOS as inferior because it breaks from the mold they see for Superman. It's similar to the break between comic fans over Superman and his world, but a bit more entrenched because of how ground-breaking the first film's imprint on pop-culture was. The nostalgia factor also gives it an edge for people who have grown up with it as the personal pinnacle of comic book movies.

I do think it's important to note that there's a major disagreement over the philosophy of Superman's powers and the depth of the Science Fiction in the stories. "Adherents" of the Donner films and their portrayal have a strong believe in what "adherents" of more modern stylings of Superman consider weaknesses or jokes of the style: clumsy, comedy-centered Clark Kent portrayals, liberal use of deus-ex-machina, excessively inconsistent portrayal of Superman's abilities, a weaker supporting cast in terms of their actual capabilities and development, a fanatical devotion to the status quo, and a greater focus on fantastic approaches to the whole world.

For instance, someone like me, who is seriously biased against those traits, sees the ending of MOS as a fantastic and visceral rebuttal of what I perceive as weaknesses to S:TMP and SII. I believe that turning back time and amnesia kissing away a subplot ruins the conflict the films' develop and betrays the point of a Superman, whereas they see the destruction of the city and violent climax as a betrayal of Superman's message; the reverse is also true. I think that a klutzy Clark Kent is a charlatan, and that a shallow Daily Plaent staff is juvenile; they think that a subdued and stoic Clark is bland, and that the Palnet has lost some of its charm without its quirks.

And those differences can radically shift the way you see the film: a lot of older critics despise the violence, and never mention the scene where Perry and Steve try and save Jenny, while I am finally satisfied to see Superman be a badass and actually think the Planet staffers standing together gives the film a heart that I never saw in S:TMP's human characters.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
Batsfan1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
while I am finally satisfied to see Superman be a badass
There's nothing that about violence and killing.

Batsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
DavidTyler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
I think there's definitely a strong current in older circles to see MOS as inferior because it breaks from the mold they see for Superman. It's similar to the break between comic fans over Superman and his world, but a bit more entrenched because of how ground-breaking the first film's imprint on pop-culture was. The nostalgia factor also gives it an edge for people who have grown up with it as the personal pinnacle of comic book movies.

I do think it's important to note that there's a major disagreement over the philosophy of Superman's powers and the depth of the Science Fiction in the stories. "Adherents" of the Donner films and their portrayal have a strong believe in what "adherents" of more modern stylings of Superman consider weaknesses or jokes of the style: clumsy, comedy-centered Clark Kent portrayals, liberal use of deus-ex-machina, excessively inconsistent portrayal of Superman's abilities, a weaker supporting cast in terms of their actual capabilities and development, a fanatical devotion to the status quo, and a greater focus on fantastic approaches to the whole world.

For instance, someone like me, who is seriously biased against those traits, sees the ending of MOS as a fantastic and visceral rebuttal of what I perceive as weaknesses to S:TMP and SII. I believe that turning back time and amnesia kissing away a subplot ruins the conflict the films' develop and betrays the point of a Superman, whereas they see the destruction of the city and violent climax as a betrayal of Superman's message; the reverse is also true. I think that a klutzy Clark Kent is a charlatan, and that a shallow Daily Plaent staff is juvenile; they think that a subdued and stoic Clark is bland, and that the Palnet has lost some of its charm without its quirks.

And those differences can radically shift the way you see the film: a lot of older critics despise the violence, and never mention the scene where Perry and Steve try and save Jenny, while I am finally satisfied to see Superman be a badass and actually think the Planet staffers standing together gives the film a heart that I never saw in S:TMP's human characters.
I feel exactly the same way. The Donner film was a comedy and juvenile. Snyder's film, on the other hand, is for adults.

Last edited by DavidTyler; 08-18-2015 at 05:31 PM.
DavidTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
Spider-Fan83
Like the Sword?...

your friend must have loved "Superman Returns"

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Batsfan1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
I feel exactly the same way. The Donner film was a comedy and juvenile. Snyder's film, on the other hand, is for adults.
Violence, brooding and destruction isn't adult.

Batsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:33 AM   #11
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batsfan1 View Post
There's nothing that about violence and killing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batsfan1 View Post
Violence, brooding and destruction isn't adult.
Ooh... I can already tell that your act is going to wear thin around here.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #12
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTyler View Post
I wouldn't consider the Donner film a comedy or MOS to be a film for adults. I think MOS was designed to appeal to male teenagers/young men, while the Donner film was for all ages.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Most adults I know don't spend every waking moment of their lives trying to convince people how of adult they are. Not least by namedropping dark and gritty films about men in tights. That is more angsty teenager territory.

Pixar's Up is more adult than Man of Steel.

-- Daredevil
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote