The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
Thorson
Side-Kick

Default Why was Lois Lane on the Plane?

When they come up with the plan to collide both phantom drives what was the in-movie reason for Lois going with them on the plane?

Thorson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:09 AM   #2
Batsfan1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why was Lois Lane on the Plane?

I don't remember if there was a discussion about that.

Batsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorson View Post
When they come up with the plan to collide both phantom drives what was the in-movie reason for Lois going with them on the plane?
It wasn’t spelled out. But since Lois received instructions for “the plan” directly from Jor-El, she was (arguably) an asset and should be present. (As it happened, she pointed out a “malfunction” with the command key, which was “fixed” by Hamilton.) Also: if the plan didn’t work, then no place on Earth would be safe for Lois. So it’s not as if she was at greater risk by being on the plane.

But … what was the in-universe explanation for Lois’s being aboard the Black Zero?

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Thorson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
It wasn’t spelled out. But since Lois received instructions for “the plan” directly from Jor-El, she was (arguably) an asset and should be present. (As it happened, she pointed out a “malfunction” with the command key, which was “fixed” by Hamilton.) Also: if the plan didn’t work, then no place on Earth would be safe for Lois. So it’s not as if she was at greater risk by being on the plane.
So basically if she had said "Okay Dr. Hamilton you activate the ship by putting this key into this little hole. It has to go all the way in or it won't work" the situation would have more or less played the same way. That way Lois would not be needlessly put in danger only because the writer couldn't come up with a better way to have a scene where Superman saves Lois.

Quote:
But … what was the in-universe explanation for Lois’s being aboard the Black Zero?
After they both escape the Black Zero Lois mentions that she was mind probed as well. As to the reason for why the Kryptonians decided to probe her, some have suggested that they saw Lois having her one-on-one moment with Superman from the ship they used to pick up Superman.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Mainline
May The Force Be With You

Quote:
Lois Lane is literally the only human being on planet Earth with first-hand experience being on a Kryptonian vessel, having Kryptonian technology used on her, and wielding Kryptonian technology. The only one. She saw the ship interior, she wore a Kryptonian helmet, used a Kryptonian breather, had that tech and Kal-El's weakness explained to her, she was subject to Kryptonian interrogation and incarceration, had a heart-to-heart with Jor-El, wielded a Kryptonian sidearm, and escaped in a damaged Kryptonian escape pod.

The clock is ticking. You have no idea what information will be relevant in the moment. Every second spent trying to relate all that information exhaustively and meaningfully (no telling how long the interrogation was) means more people dying.

Lois was on the plane to provide her singular expertise and experience as it might relate to any emergent issues related to the Kryptonians. We know that she was a war correspondent so being on the front-lines isn't something that would phase her.

They couldn't test the Phantom Drive because that would risk revealing their plan, so Lois and Hamilton were on-board to provide any insights to problems that might arise. While the problem ended up being trivial, that's exactly what they did, proving the point of bringing them... Lois was able to point out the Command Key should be flush with the console and Hamilton was able to determine the thing should be aligned. Given the time pressure, that's very likely a detail Lois could have overlooked in the initial brief and one not easily relayed back and forth over comms, under time pressure, under attack, etc.

It made perfect sense.

Mainline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
Batsfan1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainline View Post
Lois Lane is literally the only human being on planet Earth with first-hand experience being on a Kryptonian vessel, having Kryptonian technology used on her, and wielding Kryptonian technology. The only one. She saw the ship interior, she wore a Kryptonian helmet, used a Kryptonian breather, had that tech and Kal-El's weakness explained to her, she was subject to Kryptonian interrogation and incarceration, had a heart-to-heart with Jor-El, wielded a Kryptonian sidearm, and escaped in a damaged Kryptonian escape pod.

The clock is ticking. You have no idea what information will be relevant in the moment. Every second spent trying to relate all that information exhaustively and meaningfully (no telling how long the interrogation was) means more people dying.

Lois was on the plane to provide her singular expertise and experience as it might relate to any emergent issues related to the Kryptonians. We know that she was a war correspondent so being on the front-lines isn't something that would phase her.

They couldn't test the Phantom Drive because that would risk revealing their plan, so Lois and Hamilton were on-board to provide any insights to problems that might arise. While the problem ended up being trivial, that's exactly what they did, proving the point of bringing them... Lois was able to point out the Command Key should be flush with the console and Hamilton was able to determine the thing should be aligned. Given the time pressure, that's very likely a detail Lois could have overlooked in the initial brief and one not easily relayed back and forth over comms, under time pressure, under attack, etc.

It made perfect sense.
Hey, it's fanwank.

Batsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Mainline

Quote:
So basically if she had said "Okay Dr. Hamilton you activate the ship by putting this key into this little hole. It has to go all the way in or it won't work" the situation would have more or less played the same way. That way Lois would not be needlessly put in danger only because the writer couldn't come up with a better way to have a scene where Superman saves Lois.
This is a stupid test because it suggests Lois would know the future and any emergent issues that might arise ahead of time. Neither Lois nor Jor-El would or did know that Faora had forcibly bent the ship when opening it to search for the Codex.

It's a terrible and poorly thought-out criticism to apply future omniscient knowledge to the past-actions of characters with limited information. Jor-El would have no reason to say, "And if the ship happens to be bent by a super-strong Kryptonian, make sure it's aligned and flush." If characters could be expected to act upon and relay information they didn't have, Jor-El could have forestalled Krypton's demise and we wouldn't have a movie. That's not now valid criticism works.

Meanwhile, you completely missed Dr.'s point, staying off the plane was no safer than being on the plane if the plan failed. Assuming your precautions, had she stayed off the plane, Dr. Hamilton would have been relaying tons of irrelevant information as they tried to troubleshoot the issue. Faora would have taken the plane before Lois could verbally figure anything out.

Having her stay on the ground would foolishly jeopardize the mission.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Thorson
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is a stupid test because it suggests Lois would know the future and any emergent issues that might arise ahead of time. Neither Lois nor Jor-El would or did know that Faora had forcibly bent the ship when opening it to search for the Codex.

It's a terrible and poorly thought-out criticism to apply future omniscient knowledge to the past-actions of characters with limited information. Jor-El would have no reason to say, "And if the ship happens to be bent by a super-strong Kryptonian, make sure it's aligned and flush." If characters could be expected to act upon and relay information they didn't have, Jor-El could have forestalled Krypton's demise and we wouldn't have a movie. That's not now valid criticism works.
I think it would be reasonable that if Lois were to give instructions (no said anything about running tests) on how the key works she would tell Hamilton that it needs to be all the way in or it would not work.

The instructions would be quick and to the point like I mentioned before: 1. Take this 2. Put it all the way in there. 3. If it isn't all the way in it won't work. 4. Done.

She had this information at the time so your "future omniscient knowledge" comment doesn't really apply.

Quote:
Meanwhile, you completely missed Dr.'s point, staying off the plane was no safer than being on the plane if the plan failed. Assuming your precautions, had she stayed off the plane, Dr. Hamilton would have been relaying tons of irrelevant information as they tried to troubleshoot the issue. Faora would have taken the plane before Lois could verbally figure anything out.
All Lois did on the plane was say that the key had to be all the in to work, nothing more after that she became dead weight to the scene. Hamilton figured out the rest by himself.

Also I didn't miss Dr.'s point, I simply do not find the argument satisfactory so I chose not to address it.

Last edited by Thorson; 08-15-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
Fincher
Too far gone

How about she's a reporter and would want to be there to have something to seal the deal on her Pulitzer? Reporters go into dangerous situations all the time.

Fincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
BH/HHH
You Are My World

Quote:
Can I just say I get really annoyed about that, they go into Clark's mind to find out his secrets, they knew there something between them so they brought her aboard. She even says to Clark something along the lines of "they did something to me looked inside my mind" and he responds "they did the same thing to me". There's the explanation for all they knew she may have had information pertaining to the whereabouts of the codex or secrets Clark/Kal had.

#TEAM SNYDER
BH/HHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Can I just say I get really annoyed about that, they go into Clark's mind to find out his secrets, they knew there something between them so they brought her aboard. She even says to Clark something along the lines of "they did something to me looked inside my mind" and he responds "they did the same thing to me". There's the explanation for all they knew she may have had information pertaining to the whereabouts of the codex or secrets Clark/Kal had.
Well, yes. By monitoring Earth media, Zod would be aware that Lois was close to the “alien.” But since the plan was (apparently) to “brain scan” Kal-El, it’s very unlikely that Lois would have more information than Kal regarding the location of the Codex. Still… Zod might be covering his bases: Kal is the main resource; but grab Lois too, just in case.

A bit more problematic, however, is Lois’s willingness to board the Black Zero. As far as she knows, the Kryptonians and Supes are leaving Earth forever. Yet her attitude suggests a temporary capitulation - as if she expects to return somehow.

I don’t say this was a huge plot hole. But if I were going to nitpick Lois’s presence on either the military plane or the Black Zero, I’d go with the Black Zero.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #12
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batsfan1 View Post
Hey, it's fanwank.
Somebody wants to get into arguments.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

http://www.tobecontinuedafanboypodcast.com/ NOW ON ITUNES. NEW EPISODE, FAREWELL TO SUMMER, IN THE NEWS AND THESE THINGS WRITE THEMSELVES.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #13
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Never made sense for me. If it was only putting a goddamn command key in the ship, she could have shown Dr Hamilton to do that. Because that's all it was. Putiing a key into a hole then they drop the ship on the Black Zero.

TeeKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #14
I Am The Knight
Spinning Free

I don't really care to complain about Lois boarding the Black Zero or the plane, but I do find it ridiculous that she's able to make it to the train station at the end.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630! / Ɉ
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #15
Mainline

Quote:
I think it would be reasonable that if Lois were to give instructions (no said anything about running tests) on how the key works she would tell Hamilton that it needs to be all the way in or it would not work.

The instructions would be quick and to the point like I mentioned before: 1. Take this 2. Put it all the way in there. 3. If it isn't all the way in it won't work. 4. Done.

She had this information at the time so your "future omniscient knowledge" comment doesn't really apply.
Actually, it applies exactly to what you said and proves your hypocrisy and lack of analysis. Why in the world would she INVENT instruction Number 3, "If it isn't all the way in it won't work."

HOW is she supposed to: a) Know that; b) Anticipate she needs to SAY that?

The ONE time she's used a command key it went in and went flush WITHOUT alignment. At no point did she have to think that it might NOT go flush. It's questionable whether she would even describe it as going flush to begin with.

Clearly poorly thought-out criticism that pretends like Lois has a crystal ball. It's exactly because they can't anticipate possibilities like that her experience was valuable.

Last edited by Mainline; 08-25-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 PM   #16
I Am The Knight
Spinning Free

I think I remember Lois having to push the key all the way into the slot when she was in the Black Zero, just like Superman had to do when he first discovered the ship. Remember that little struggle with the Giger Bot? The key needs to be manually pushed all the way into the slot.

Unless I'm remembering it wrong. Surely someone who has seen the movie recently can put an end to this little debate.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630! / Ɉ
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #17
Thorson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Actually, it applies exactly to what you said and proves your hypocrisy and lack of analysis. Why in the world would she INVENT instruction Number 3, "If it isn't all the way in it won't work."

HOW is she supposed to: a) Know that; b) Anticipate she needs to SAY that?

The ONE time she's used a command key it went in and went flush WITHOUT alignment. At no point did she have to think that it might NOT go flush. It's questionable whether she would even describe it as going flush to begin with.

Clearly poorly thought-out criticism that pretends like Lois has a crystal ball. It's exactly because they can't anticipate possibilities like that her experience was valuable.
I guess I'm assuming that when Jor-El explained the plan to her he took a second to emphasize the importance of the command key needing to be all the way in or the phantom drive in Superman's ship won't activate, because the success of the plan depends on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
I think I remember Lois having to push the key all the way into the slot when she was in the Black Zero, just like Superman had to do when he first discovered the ship. Remember that little struggle with the Giger Bot? The key needs to be manually pushed all the way into the slot.

Unless I'm remembering it wrong. Surely someone who has seen the movie recently can put an end to this little debate.
Yes, you are correct. Lois puts the command key in front of the panel and it automatically goes in half-way. She then manually pushes it all the way in and immediately the Jor-El AI appears.

Last edited by Thorson; 08-26-2015 at 09:12 PM.