The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #101
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - Part 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt47 View Post
Bring em on, they are awesome. Good job
Cheers Matt

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #102
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Reading the Ba/Sup/WW Trinity comic, and it's excellent. I'm going to go over it in more detail later. I like how they handle character cameos. A young Robin hiding behind the Batmobile while Superman visits the cave, or Aquaman briefly swimming in front of Batman while he's piloting the batboat. A similar approach could work really well in this movie. Little bits of world building.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
Old 02-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #103
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Winter Soldier looks like a knockout....
Cap 2 looks like an amazing movie, but ...

Then again Marvel has had great previews before. Thor 2 looked like it was going to be gritty, and it felt like a bad Adam Sandler film.

I'm going to go see Winter Soldier based on its strong previews, but I am weary. I fell asleep in the first Captain America film because it was too boring, and Thor 2 was an Adam Sandler movie. Also, just from the preview I know that Cap 2 will have some awful dialogue:

"The price of freedom is high, and it's a price I'm willing to pay"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
So we've got people who want GREEN LANTERN to look less like Green Lantern and more like TRON...
I thought Green Lantern was a very ugly movie, and that was a big problem for me.

Quote:
As well as people claiming that MAN OF STEEL was all surface, with no exploration of Clark's psychology? Yeah, I get it. The movie didn't exactly show why Clark would want to save people, but it's also not a complex concept based on the human experience. Because with his powers, he could do so, and could choose to do so.
I think that the arc in the film was that of Clark learning to be assertive with his powers. There's no reason for him wanting to save people -- he always wanted to save people and he just didn't know how to do it properly, hence the school bus scene. As the film progresses he amasses a better sense of identity and eventually a dual identity, and the film ends with an equilibrium situation of Daily Planet Clark and Kryptonian Superman co-existing in the same world.

Quote:
On a happier note, does anyone else ever just think about putting like, half the regular posters on ignore from time to time?
I did so back in September, and I took everyone off a little later. After I saw Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 I realised I was being too hard on MoS.

If you're getting too frustrated, I suggest 14 days off from the forum.

Quote:
I dunno...I'd hope BLUE BEETLE & BOOSTER GOLD would actually be funny.
Depends on the writer.
I also expect GoTG to be unfunny. The trailer was mediocre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
Don't knock the raccoon.

Apparently, the raccoon is proof that Marvel is beating DC in some kind of squabble.
The euphoria over a talking racoon proves that Marvel is a pop culture phenomenon that has a lot of people within its grip under some significant mass collective psychosis. It's simultaneously disturbing and impressive.

ETA: I think I get it, Marvel is like Apple ! Remember the stories of people who sold their kidneys to buy a new iPhone? Ever argued with an Apple fan who thinks that Apple products are automatically better in every way?

Last edited by DA_Champion; 02-20-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #104
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I hope that psychosis knock is sarcasm. The constant hyperbole and overstatements on these boards makes it hard to tell.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #105
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Marvel is like Apple. Movie DC is like IBM

Old 02-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #106
Smallville13
Side-Kick

As disappointing as MOS was last year, it was worlds better than T:TDW and IM3. Just no contest.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #107
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

^Now that's some quality sarcasm!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #108
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
As disappointing as MOS was last year, it was worlds better than T:TDW and IM3. Just no contest.
I agree.

I'd like to say that MoS was the best CBM of the year, but to do that I would need to actually watch The Wolverine and Kick Ass 2, lol.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #109
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Pretty cool...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #110
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

The Wolverine was really good. It had a lot of depth and worked really well as a character study, while being a great actioner. It's probably my favorite Marvel movie, by far.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #111
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Why? In least those films had witt and charm. The Man of Steel was the Nolanification of the Superman character done by vídeoclip director Zack Snyder

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 02-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #112
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Tell me how you REALLY feel about MOS

Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #113
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I agree.

I'd like to say that MoS was the best CBM of the year, but to do that I would need to actually watch The Wolverine and Kick Ass 2, lol.
Wolverine is pretty good, they got lazy at the end though

Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #114
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Why? In least those films had witt and charm. The Man of Steel was the Nolanification of the Superman character done by vídeoclip director Zack Snyder
Did you really think that Selvig running around naked was witty and charming? I personally found Thor 2 to be one of the most painful experiences I've ever had in a movie theatre. There were plenty of attempts at wit, but most of the jokes were more irritating then funny.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #115
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
Wolverine is pretty good, they got lazy at the end though
It felt like the first two acts didn't really go anywhere and then the third act was completely tonally out of sync with the rest of the movie.

Against all good taste I actually preferred Origins to The Wolverine. Origins is silly and stupid, but it's also somewhat fun. The Wolverine was just... there, I mean I guess he did stuff like walk around Japan and fight Japanese people, but yeah. I wasn't really that into it.

HERESY!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #116
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Reading the Ba/Sup/WW Trinity comic, and it's excellent. I'm going to go over it in more detail later. I like how they handle character cameos. A young Robin hiding behind the Batmobile while Superman visits the cave, or Aquaman briefly swimming in front of Batman while he's piloting the batboat. A similar approach could work really well in this movie. Little bits of world building.
That book is amazing from start to finish, Matt Wagner knows how to tackle the Trinity. Why that was never adapted into an animated film ill never know.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #117
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
If you truly found that the humor in TDW didn't cut into the film's already thin plot, villains and characterization of it's hero I won't convince you otherwise.

However, I would like to see the part of the Unified Field Theory of Arts and Entertainment that states that an adaptation of Superman on film can't be serious or emotionally somber and then offset that with impeccably done action all within a highly textured visual style?

And serious and somber Superman stories are nothing new, nor are they the result of modern taste or "Nolanization". There are many Silver Age/Bronze age stories that are somber and highlight Superman's feelings of isolation and the burden of his power and unique place in the world.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #118
The_Harvest
Banned User

Quote:
Did you really think that Selvig running around naked was witty and charming? I personally found Thor 2 to be one of the most painful experiences I've ever had in a movie theatre. There were plenty of attempts at wit, but most of the jokes were more irritating then funny.
What's with the recent obsession with "witty", "charming" and "funny" moments in comic book movies? Are these words the new "dark", "gritty" and "introspective" of the comic book movie sphere?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #119
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Harvest View Post
What's with the recent obsession with "witty", "charming" and "funny" moments in comic book movies? Are these words the new "dark", "gritty" and "introspective" of the comic book movie sphere?
You just listed six different adjectives describing how any movie might choose to work. Each of wit, charm, funny, darkness, grit, and introspective can work alone or with the others if the writer and director know what they're doing.

I like charm and wit. I just don't agree that:
1) They're indispensable, i.e. that a movie without a joke is automatically a bad movie;
2) That selvig running around naked is witty or charming or funny;

Old 02-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #120
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Personally the thing that makes or breaks Superhero movies for me is the moment of joy when you really want to be that character and have their abilities.

Superman 78 had it with the helicopter rescue.

Iron Man had it with the terrorist village.

The Dark Knight had it with the construction site and the chase.

Avengers had it with Hulk punching the huge alien creature.

Spiderman 2 had it with the train scene.

X-Men 2 had it with Wolverine taking out Stryker's black ops team in the mansion.

And even though the rest of the movie sucked. Superman Returns had it with the plane scene.

A superhero movie can have a great script or great actors in it, but if it doesn't have that moment where your jaw drops and you feel like an 8 year old again, then I don't think it's a great superhero movie.

HERESY!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #121
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Personally the thing that makes or breaks Superhero movies for me is the moment of joy when you really want to be that character and have their abilities.

Superman 78 had it with the helicopter rescue.

Iron Man had it with the terrorist village.

The Dark Knight had it with the construction site and the chase.

Avengers had it with Hulk punching the huge alien creature.

Spiderman 2 had it with the train scene.

X-Men 2 had it with Wolverine taking out Stryker's black ops team in the mansion.

And even though the rest of the movie sucked. Superman Returns had it with the plane scene.

A superhero movie can have a great script or great actors in it, but if it doesn't have that moment where your jaw drops and you feel like an 8 year old again, then I don't think it's a great superhero movie.
I liked when Cav-El crashed the predator drone.

I also liked when he started the job at the daily planet and his brilliant, hot girlfriend there. For whatever reason I felt like I wanted to be him in that moment.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #122
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
I liked when Cav-El crashed the predator drone.

I also liked when he started the job at the daily planet and his brilliant, hot girlfriend there. For whatever reason I felt like I wanted to be him in that moment.
I would have said the learning to fly scene would be the best candidate in MoS

HERESY!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #123
The_Harvest
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
I would have said the learning to fly scene would be the best candidate in MoS
Yes it's my favourite moment
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #124
matt47
Side-Kick

It was so beautiful...
I remember listening to a review and the guy said that he only smiled once through the whole flight scene....waaaaaaat?

He seems to be smiling nearly the whole way! even at the end where he stops and looks down on earth before flying into space you can see he has a huge cheeky grin!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #125
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Harvest View Post
Yes it's my favourite moment
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I'm sorry even though I loved this movie that part where he is flying over the horses and all looks like it came right out of Supergirl.

Closed Thread